Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think the voice acting would track a lot better if they weren't reading pseudo-old english style dialog. If voice direction is going to point everyone in a contemporary direction, then they need to be reading contemporary dialog. Everyone is just so flat regardless of the quality of their voices tbh. I'm kind of thinking of turning the voice acting entirely off and just using my imagination.

I said it in this or another thread, but everyone sounds like a bored high school drama class trying for Shakespeare.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My copy shipped!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

My copy shipped!

oh dang! will you get it early? I read the game has leaked and I've been avoiding spoilers but holy hell I wanna play it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amazon says my copy is arriving Friday and I don't think they've ever given me a game early. So I'll settle for it being on time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I actually got Octopath Traveller early from Amazon. One of the few games I've preordered.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

why isn’t the special edition available in the us? ugh.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I turned the voices fully off and it's been gravy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I turned the voices fully off and it's been gravy.

I did too and I think it's the way I'll play.

I wonder how grindy the game will be overall. I've gotten everyone to level 5 in the demo and upgraded a couple of weapons but both resources and money seem very lean early on. I hope drops become a little more frequent as the game goes on. Makes me wonder how important Luck is given it's an upgrade node on many weapons.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got to the end of the demo and did the two "in your imagination" fights in the tent but only got one or two characters to 5. Was there more demo I missed somewhere or are those two tent fights repeatable for XP?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
You can repeat the tent fights for XP and materials. But after the first battle there's no guaranteed money, it's all RNG on dropping loot bags.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Huxley posted:

I got to the end of the demo and did the two "in your imagination" fights in the tent but only got one or two characters to 5. Was there more demo I missed somewhere or are those two tent fights repeatable for XP?

Yeah they show a checkmark for completion but you can just redo them regardless. I ground them a bit while watching TV and it felt like it went really fast tbh.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I'll probably do them 2-3 times more each just to get some more game. I'm telling myself I'm going to hold off on impressions, hoping that once we're out of the prologue the talking:fighting ratio gets a little more fighty. But I'll probably just end up grabbing it Friday no matter what.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Huxley posted:

Thanks! I'll probably do them 2-3 times more each just to get some more game. I'm telling myself I'm going to hold off on impressions, hoping that once we're out of the prologue the talking:fighting ratio gets a little more fighty. But I'll probably just end up grabbing it Friday no matter what.

Famitsu review indicated it stays pretty talky, but were very warm on both the combat and the story. The game has leaked at this point so you may be able to find some local impressions if you're willing to risk spoilers (I'm not).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Every review that says “there’s a little too much talking” powers my desire to play this more. Just give me 5 entire visual novels in between 6 battles please and thank you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Agreed, I don't know if there's some poor marketing or what, but the Nintendo Direct that revealed the game last year was explicitly clear that the game is just as much about the talking as it is the battles.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah I'm not at all surprised by it or turned off by it but I guess some folks want more battles in their games (which is fine).

I finally purchased my copy today after maxing out the demo to my satisfaction. Looking forward to losing some time to it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I want to play the game for the talking.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

DC Murderverse posted:

Every review that says “there’s a little too much talking” powers my desire to play this more. Just give me 5 entire visual novels in between 6 battles please and thank you.

lol, yeah, same

My all-time favorite SRPG is Utawarerumono which tips the VN-to-gameplay ratio to absurd levels at times

As long as the words are interesting I will never care about having a lot of them in my SRPGs. I guess it remains to be seen whether that's the case here, but the demo gives me a lot of hope.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I remember buying the first Phoenix Wright not fully understanding what it was, and I skimmed/skipped the "opening dialogue" for 20 full minutes before realizing that was the entire game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I want to play the game for the talking.

The first hour of the game is just a 10-15 minute fight (or less at a low difficulty) and the rest is cutscenes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Levantine posted:

Yeah I'm not at all surprised by it or turned off by it but I guess some folks want more battles in their games (which is fine).

I finally purchased my copy today after maxing out the demo to my satisfaction. Looking forward to losing some time to it.

I don't mind if there's not all a lot of battles as long as they're well-balanced and still allow for multiple play throughs with different units and strategies.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DC Murderverse posted:

lmao yeah, i really liked the pacing of the demo and then I kept reading people elsewhere say that they hope only the start was like that.

you can't do political intrigue without a good amount of talking.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The people who complain about it being too talky haven't read/watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it shows.

The only review I've seen out so far has been Nintendo Life's written review (haven't read it yet, kept forgetting). Do the reviews talk about the quality of the writing? Critiquing the quality of the writing is totally valid but saying it's too talky when that was the entire point seems to be a case of a reviewer reviewing a work against what they want it to be and not what it is.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
IMO the presentation does make it seem like there's a poo poo ton of dialogue. I think the tactical map primes you to feel like you are going to have choices between battlefield scenarios and dialogue scenarios. But in the demo at least, a lot of the events are side stories where Serenoa isn't even present, so you can't walk around and talk to people and make decisions--it's just two NPCs having a conversation without your input.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to take that sort of panoramic approach. But it puts the player in the back seat pretty frequently and gives the vibe that you're watching little staged scenes rather than being present in the game world. It's not very naturalistic. I personally would prefer a more limited PoV where all of the dialogue comes from walking around setpieces as Serenoa and talking to NPCs. But the game looks so good anyway and I can't wait to play more.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TBF I think that's more or less the point of making those side scenes explicitly opt in; if you want your experience to be seeing only what Serenoa sees, the game gives you the tools to do that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Reviews are hitting and confirming that's very story heavy. Every review seems to warn of that specifically. Lots of branches too. I don't often play through games more than once but this one may get me.

Battles support up to 10 units too, so sounds like some of them are big. Some reviews talk about 30+ combatants in later battles.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 3, 2022

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching the GameXplain review and they xplained that your actions in battle can have consequences in the story. For example, at one point in the game you can blow up a dam to make the battle easier, but it floods the city, which is reflected in the story afterwards. That's a cool way of doing morality based decisions!

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm watching the GameXplain review and they xplained that your actions in battle can have consequences in the story. For example, at one point in the game you can blow up a dam to make the battle easier, but it floods the city, which is reflected in the story afterwards. That's a cool way of doing morality based decisions!

I'm glad they maintained this. The OG Demo had that decision to Set fire to the town in a battle to save Roland and that had major consequences too. I was hoping it wasn't just a one-off.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I must have gone a different path than you because that sequence of events didn't happen for me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A couple of reviews I've read make me kind of hopeful about story/fighty balance based on like ...

In most Tactics games they pad out cutscenes and story battles with either random wandering fights you can choose to do or go around (the Advance series) or scripted fights that don't have any story impact (we've arrived at [city] but there are bandits in the way!; time to leave [city] there are guards in the way!).

It seems like this game's answer to that is, "here is an hour of cutscenes with several instances of us kicking you back to the map to change locations, this is also your opportunity to do some imagination battles to level your dudes and grind some resources." So rather than being like, "you've watched a 20 minute scene, time to walk to the other side of the map for another 20 minute scene, but first BANDITS!" it gives you the option of continuing the story or taking a battle break, depending on whichever you prefer.

I guess it depends on how robust the imagination battle system is, then. If there are tons of thoughtful fights in there all up the level curve, I'm excited. I definitely brought everyone up to level 5 in the imagination station last night and things didn't get old.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 3, 2022

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Does this game have any way to do character builds? Or does customizing combat effectiveness just come down to which characters you deploy?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

funkymonks posted:

Does this game have any way to do character builds? Or does customizing combat effectiveness just come down to which characters you deploy?

Each unit has upgrades. Class and weapons. Weapons have different bonuses.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

glassyalabolas posted:

Each unit has upgrades. Class and weapons. Weapons have different bonuses.

That said, early upgrades seem super boring. Weapon levels have upgrades contained within them, and you can also upgrade the weapon itself. Weapon level caps out at 3. Each rank has it's own row of upgrades, but they are items like +1 STR or +10 HP. You can choose the order of these upgrades but each successive one gets more expensive in terms of materials. Nothing that seems super critical or influences your build by any stretch.

Classes can also upgrade once they attain a certain exp level and you have "Medal" item. Apparently these are rare (according to the game). Classes rank up and look different visually and gain access to new skills. There is no choice in promotion. It's a straight 1 > 2 > 3 thing.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 3, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Levantine posted:

Reviews are hitting and confirming that's very story heavy. Every review seems to warn of that specifically. Lots of branches too. I don't often play through games more than once but this one may get me.

Battles support up to 10 units too, so sounds like some of them are big. Some reviews talk about 30+ combatants in later battles.

Branches only matter if they lead to different battle's. It appears that is going to be the case going by the Ice Mage vs Smuggler choice you can make in the demo. But often it's too easy as a developer to never lock a player off from their choices, making the choice not really matter in the narrative.

In any case while there is a lot of talk, the story is developing nicely so I'm ok with it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh excellent.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I got a similar notification.

Except that mine got pushed back to March 22.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's rough. And quite the delay. Probably should contact the retailer about that or get it somewhere else.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's already in the hands of pirates.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like how the game rewards you with Kudos for making smart tactical plays-using Roland's range to hit two enemies at once, attacking from high ground, doing back attacks and follow-ups, hitting someone from outside their range, it makes me feel smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I've finished the demo and have everyone almost at level 5, so I'm just hoping this unlocks at midnight. It's going to be tough not just marathoning this game, but I'm going to try and take my time.