Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Leading up to the war a ton of the coverage was literally parroting Azov propaganda events, and a bunch of foreign Ukraine related activism is tied with these groups and if people want to pretend that won’t be a problem in the future just lol.
Would you care to expand on what you mean by this? I've seen you pop up in Ukraine threads a couple times to scream "AZOV AZOV AZOV" and then each time flee faster than a Russian conscript whenever folks point out that Azov is fundamentally non-representative of Ukraine and that you're repeating pro-Kremlin propaganda that is intended to excuse the brutalization and mass murder of the Ukrainian people by Russian fascists.

The only thing that comes close to what you describe that I can think of is a single insufficiently inquisitive Western news crew covering an Azov training. Probably because they were desperately looking for a story and Nazis actively conceal their nature to pull in the credulous. But in no way does that reflect "tons of coverage parroting Azov propaganda" and none of the activism or donations raised on these forums are for the Nazis (unless CSPAM's set up a pro-Russia drive, idk).

Meanwhile, Russia is actively razing cities and murdering civilians for its fascist imperialist aggrandizement. That you keep circling back on this red herring raises questions about your priorities! Which is worse, a sliver of a donation changing hands a few times and maybe ending up with assholes in the chaos of war? Or a deliberate and unprovoked invasion intended to install a fascist puppet to end Ukraine's sovereignty and carry out bloody purges against democratic activists and the LGBTQ community?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A few people did donate to UCCA, before it was pointed out that they're far-right shitheads.

That's about it, I think.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Putin won't stop at Ukraine if he's not stopped. This needs to be understood. If his nuclear threat is successful in getting him what he wants he will advance his brinksmanship.

Putin won't live long enough to amass enough military, political and economic capital for another adventure like this. Even if the rumors about him being sick are wrong. Well, I'm going to qualify this that Moldova and Georgia are much softer targets than Ukraine; so if they're what you're thinking of, then mabe yes, but that's the extent of his worst case options.

The question is what kind of example the Ukrainian War will set for his inevitable successor. I'm pretty sure Putin is doing this because he knows his time is limited, but an successor might calm the waves enough that Russia can consolidate the gains Putin has made.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

If they want to ban oligarchs from buying up US houses, whether they be Russian or whoever, that would be welcome and unlikely to ding common folk in Russia.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A.o.D. posted:

Putin won't stop at Ukraine if he's not stopped. This needs to be understood. If his nuclear threat is successful in getting him what he wants he will advance his brinksmanship.

From what I've been seeing out of Poland and from Polish goons, this is exactly why Poland has been so aggressively enthusiastic about supporting Ukraine: a probably justified fear that if Putin takes Ukraine, Poland isn't much lower on the target list.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Oh for sure, I imagine that the governments of all countries that share land borders with Russia, except maybe China, are currently asking themselves who's next on the hit list if the Russian steamroller isn't halted in Ukraine.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Well, this is sobering:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1499019151586832384

I am also seeing claims that Ukraine has taken back Chernobyl, but nothing confirming it yet.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hekk posted:

There are lines NATO haven’t crossed yet. If for example, NATO piloted aircraft started flying sorties within Ukraine, it’d certainly be an escalation that I have no idea how Russia would respond to. They are running out of non nuclear responses though.

There's always crippling each others' countries via cyber attacks on critical infrastructure. Which would, eventually, escalate to nuclear attacks!

It's genius!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
First in 7 days of war Ukrainian units go on offensive advancing to Horlivka – Arestovych

Interfax-Ukraine posted:

For the first time in seven days of the war, Ukrainian units went on the offensive, advancing towards Horlivka, Oleksiy Arestovych, adviser to the head of the President's Office, has said.

"The JFO zone, there is good news. Most of our units are holding their positions, and one of our brigades has advanced to the outskirts of Horlivka. Now it is being fixed there... For the first time on the seventh day of the war, our units went on the offensive in a separate area," Arestovych said at a briefing at the President's Office on Wednesday afternoon.

Regarding the situation throughout Ukraine, Arestovych added that the movement of Russian troops had been stopped towards Chernihiv and Sumy.

In the north-west of Kyiv, the enemy continues to build up forces for a further offensive on the city. The Armed Forces of Ukraine make artillery strikes.

In Kharkiv, the enemy is bombarding the city with multiple rocket launchers and aircraft. "The task has been set to psychologically break the city," he said, adding that the Armed Forces of Ukraine are resisting, which results in heavy losses of Russian soldiers.

e: context, Horlivka is NNE of Donetsk

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 2, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Der_Parrot/status/1498801174895599617?s=20&t=6nanpS9wRLKWV-elAy6GwQ

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I am obviously not immune to propaganda because this loving killed me

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ASAPI posted:

Well, this is sobering:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1499019151586832384

I am also seeing claims that Ukraine has taken back Chernobyl, but nothing confirming it yet.

:stare:

I wonder if some of them were at least captured.

Assuming a lot of these reports of a complete lack of preparation are true (unencrypted comms, civilian radios, no food, no plan, no idea they were actually going to war), I'm actually starting to feel a good deal of sympathy for the Russians sent to die for a madman. This is basically Gallipoli.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:hellyeah:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

psydude posted:

:stare:

I wonder if some of them were at least captured.

Assuming a lot of these reports of a complete lack of preparation are true (unencrypted comms, civilian radios, no food, no plan, no idea they were actually going to war), I'm actually starting to feel a good deal of sympathy for the Russians sent to die for a madman. This is basically Gallipoli.

Yeah, the Russian people are in a poo poo position, because they are getting slaughtered in war and starved at home because of this war. It has to happen, unfortunately, but it sucks

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Russians are now actually admitting to having 500 casualties and over 1600 wounded. You’ll have to hit the Translate tweet.

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1499062893635067907?s=21

So you know it has to be something loving ridiculous in reality.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

It is from 2015, but feels appropriate to bring it back

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I'd say send them some EuroFighters but I doubt that would ever happen in any world.
EF2000 is a tricky plane to handle given the amount of trained pilot deaths in peace time, let alone on sortie. Handling them over to pilots without any kind of training is suicidal. Give them last gen armed drones instead, learning curve should be less steep.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Giving Ukraine modern planes and sheep dipping nato pilots into their air force would be a time honored tradition. Those aren't our warships, those are privateers. That isn't our land army, that is a mercenary unit that happens to be staffed by our military.

In ww1 german uboats were flying the austrian-hungarian flag and sinking shipping before germany entered the war.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

It is from 2015, but feels appropriate to bring it back

It also includes the Azov flag, so...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PookBear posted:

Giving Ukraine modern planes and sheep dipping nato pilots into their air force would be a time honored tradition. Those aren't our warships, those are privateers. That isn't our land army, that is a mercenary unit that happens to be staffed by our military.

In ww1 german uboats were flying the austrian-hungarian flag and sinking shipping before germany entered the war.

Also let’s not forget the Soviets during the Korean War and many other wars.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I agree on the “painting roundels” and “flying flags” part—time honored tradition by the Soviets during the Cold War, it’ll be interesting to see who signs up though

I wonder if Russia operating T-80s is a major factor killing their fuel supply chains, granted there are plenty of other reasons for it to be terrible at the moment

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

I agree on the “painting roundels” and “flying flags” part—time honored tradition by the Soviets during the Cold War, it’ll be interesting to see who signs up though

I wonder if Russia operating T-80s is a major factor killing their fuel supply chains, granted there are plenty of other reasons for it to be terrible at the moment

Find a fighter pilot that wouldn't want to get a confirmed kill on a mig.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
NATO is not going to intervene and NATO aligned troops and pilots are not going to wink wink, nudge nudge their way into Ukraine

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

NATO is not going to intervene and NATO aligned troops and pilots are not going to wink wink, nudge nudge their way into Ukraine

There are what, 28 countries in NATO? Why do you think you can make such a definitive judgement about this? I would imagine there are troops in Poland and the Baltics that would be ready to go

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Have we moved on to unironically hoping for SS-18 to cleanse the earth?

Edit: though maybe in Putin's mind there's still a difference between a NATO boot in Ukraine and one in mother Russia. If only Ukraine had some vassal states to bring into the fight.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 2, 2022

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Grip it and rip it posted:

There are what, 28 countries in NATO? Why do you think you can make such a definitive judgement about this? I would imagine there are troops in Poland and the Baltics that would be ready to go

What makes you imagine that Poland and any of the Baltic states are in a mood to see their whole country die in a horrible ball of fire?
The fact that their biggest enemy is currently bleeding himself to death?
The fact that their neighbor is currently ripping the Russian army to shreds?
The fact that Putin is desperate and thus even more likely to go all out world-ending on them if they so much as sneeze on the Russian border?
Even if there were troops ready to go. Are we talking mentally ready to hop over to Ukraine and lend a hand? Or does "ready to go" mean the Polish army is drafting plans to conduct no poo poo logistic operations in support of entire army units moving across the border into Ukraine?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SerthVarnee posted:

What makes you imagine that Poland and any of the Baltic states are in a mood to see their whole country die in a horrible ball of fire?
The fact that their biggest enemy is currently bleeding himself to death?
The fact that their neighbor is currently ripping the Russian army to shreds?
The fact that Putin is desperate and thus even more likely to go all out world-ending on them if they so much as sneeze on the Russian border?
Even if there were troops ready to go. Are we talking mentally ready to hop over to Ukraine and lend a hand? Or does "ready to go" mean the Polish army is drafting plans to conduct no poo poo logistic operations in support of entire army units moving across the border into Ukraine?

Sorry should have been more clear - I meant covertly providing experts and material

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Grip it and rip it posted:

Russia is digging their own diplomatic/economic grave right now, do you think anybody wants to interrupt them while risking nuclear armageddon? High risk, low reward - no thanks.

edit: They are definitely sending equipment, sending personnel is more tricky because of the problems it would cause when some of them inevitably get captured. Captured equipment gets written off, captured people become hostages.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 2, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/t4xnn9/a_small_russian_unit_that_fully_surrendered_to/

Obviously to be taken with a bunch of salt, but this appears to be a unit of conscripts from Eastern Ukraine who were thrust into the war without a clue.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The Russians are now actually admitting to having 500 casualties and over 1600 wounded. You’ll have to hit the Translate tweet.

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1499062893635067907?s=21

So you know it has to be something loving ridiculous in reality.

good thing they have that mobile crematorium

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

bees everywhere posted:

Russia is digging their own diplomatic/economic grave right now, do you think anybody wants to interrupt them while risking nuclear armageddon? High risk, low reward - no thanks.

edit: They are definitely sending equipment, sending personnel is more tricky because of the problems it would cause when some of them inevitably get captured.

Yeah I suppose youre right - Ive just been kind if surprised with the open level of support that has already been provided to Ukraine. I guess if they're already openly sending planes and munitions there is no reason to have a parallel covert process to do the same thing.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Ukrainian SOF do not appear to be very happy with the Russians for demolishing apartment blocks with MLRS barrages.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1499090277197357056

Translation via google lens:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Ukrainian SOF do not appear to be very happy with the Russians for demolishing apartment blocks with MLRS barrages.

Waiting for the public “just kidding” when a Ukrainian military lawyer gets a hold of command.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Arrath posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/t4xnn9/a_small_russian_unit_that_fully_surrendered_to/

Obviously to be taken with a bunch of salt, but this appears to be a unit of conscripts from Eastern Ukraine who were thrust into the war without a clue.
Really loving sad. At least they're alive.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nuclear Tourist posted:

promising warcrimes on facebook is not a good optic, even against assholes....

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

hobbesmaster posted:

Waiting for the public “just kidding” when a Ukrainian military lawyer gets a hold of command.

I don't know if they'll have many more Ukrainian military lawyers in a few weeks..unless they scare the unwilling Russian soldiers into surrendering

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

stackofflapjacks posted:

I don't know if they'll have many more Ukrainian military lawyers in a few weeks..unless they scare the unwilling Russian soldiers into surrendering

From what I'm reading every male lawyer in the Ukraine has joined up, so . . .

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Being a Russian artilleryman in Ukraine is going to be like being a German machine gunner on the Western Front in WWI.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Georgia taking preemptive steps.

https://twitter.com/shpapuashvili/status/1499053439283875846

Russia's cats are now subject to international sanction.

https://twitter.com/CGTNEurope/status/1499018156597198854

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ok, sanctions have gone too far