Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Look guys I'd love to hang around and help fight, defend the jumpers for goalposts and whatnot. But I've checked and you haven't got any mechwarriors which would be my preference so yeah soz, I'm out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

If you are seeking therapy then by necessity (as you correctly identified) you have to have a sufficient element of doubt in yourself that you think you need to be fixed, or possibly you have been pushed there by other people around you. But again is you correctly identify, in order for it to take, you must lack sufficient confidence in your self assessment to be open to having the interpretation of your therapist inserted in there instead of your own. Or to find their reasoning more compelling than your own, however you want to look at it.

The "it" in "it has got to come from you" is a desire to change your thought patterns, which necessarily has to stem either from external pressure or a sufficient lack of confidence in your exsiting assessment that you would be persuaded to think differently. If you are quite confident in yourself then it probably isn't going to take, no, unless someone can present an argument that you find more compelling.

I think the major divergence in our interpretations is that you are perhaps starting from the belief, for whatever reason, that the reasoning that leads me to my position is wrong (possibly because the conclusion is abhorrent or possibly because something about it looks wrong to you, I cannot say what is in your head) but from my perspective I don't see anything wrong with it, though I agree that the conclusion is somewhat abhorrent.

I would simply call my reluctance to change my position "confidence" which I believe to be borne of the same thing my confidence in any other position would be, it seems perfectly reasonable to me. And that I have yet to be convinced otherwise by argument is simply because I think my argument is the stronger one, I find it more compelling.

It's funny how I find your arguments so equally logical and compelling when I myself am particularly depressed and irrational and misguided when I'm not

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I don't think your mood - or anyone's - is nearly as dependent on externalities as you believe.

Individual brain chemistry can, in some cases, be a contributing factor to one extent or another, but I'm very much of the R.D. Laing school of thought that for the vast majority of us the sadbrains, anxiety, and all manner of other unpleasant psychological poo poo are less things we should be understood as disease and more the entirely reasonable responses of quite healthy and well-adjusted people to utterly absurd and frequently soul crushing reality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* personally I can be quite happy and still think all that. But that's usually just because I am in an environment that elicits joy, which would be entirely consistent. I just wish those environments were more frequent. But that's an environmental problem.

Summer is coming and hopefully I will be able to spend a little more time in the hills in nice, calm, spring weather, and I look forward to that.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It's stuff like this:

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really know that I would be protecting them from anything, the government is already killing them by inches, and thanks to their hostility I have few of them left, I'm afraid it's going to take more than "we will kill you slower" to offset the joy of watching it all go up in flames.

My kin have no future and neither do I, they've made sure of that. So why should I give a poo poo?
This is an argument of the form "people will die anyway"=>"it makes no difference if they die sooner in a worse way". I've oversimplified a bit there, but it (like a lot of your posts) seems to rely on the axiomatic belief that life is not worth living. Which you can call observational if you like, but that's motivated reasoning, based on a whole lot of confirmation bias & the like, ignoring evidence to the contrary.

I think you know better than most that people are fundamentally not rational beings, yet you seem to cling religiously to the belief that your negative feelings are rational. It's a contradiction.

I don't expect you to believe me, I just hope that if people keep telling you this it might help eventually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What would be the difference if I felt otherwise, out of curiosity? I think life can or can not be worth living depending on the person, and I think that a lot of people also think that in some form or another, plenty of people choose to die for perfectly reasonable reasons that I would think ITT would at least be uncontroversial, I think the thread generally skews in favour of the right to die for terminally ill people for example. Some people choose to undertake great risk out of a belief that is is better than securing their own lives (though admittedly how much of that involves thinking straight I would probably contest) and a lot of people would see that as commendable even if not necessarily reasonable.

What is the difference between coming to a life-negative conclusion that makes it inherently wrong, and a life-positive one that makes it possible to be rationally supported? Because that's the sticking point I have trouble with. I really don't think it is axiomatic, it is something that I really wonder about quite a lot, and I also respect that other people make that decision for themselves and I can accept that their conclusions might be true for them, whatever they may be.

By far the most reasonable position to me is that there is no one size fits all answer and that it probably is basically only something people can determine for themselves, and that's the position I hold. It causes problems if you asked me to make that decision for other people because my and their view might well be in conflict, but I don't really know what the best answer is, which is why as I said I just assume life-positive for other people because it seems most practical. I don't have enough information to make that decision properly for other people and critically, I don't think anyone else does either.

I think in the specific case of an invasion of the UK, my reluctance to fight would be more motivated by the visceral disgust at being hailed for defending the UK if it won. Which I grant you may be irrational too but I really don't know how I would live with myself if I survived a war and the UK government did its usual bullshit while singing my praises about how it's because of people like me that they can do it. I am skeptical of my ability to resist the sense of revulsion that would create.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 2, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Guavanaut posted:

Chechen 'gay purge' general Manbab Neckbeard has been confirmed killed so that's one silver lining on all this poo poo.

Fantastic that Putin's denazification plan is coming together.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

What would be the difference if I felt otherwise, out of curiosity?
The difference would be that you would feel better. That's it

E: I just baked a camembert & had it with some French bread & chutney & a nice glass of red, doing so is another extremely good way to make yourself feel better that I recommend highly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I felt better, I would think otherwise...

Perhaps we just fundamentally disagree on whether our feelings are environmentally determined or not, or at least to the degree which they are.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Hmm yes BBC, very cool move to have a photo of a Soyuz rocket on the launchpad under the 'war in Ukraine' heading. Definitely a very sensible thing to do at this particular juncture.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

https://twitter.com/RPPSanford/status/1498974532396367873

Jermy wino says 18-20 year old russians deserve to die

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I could have sworn he got kicked off before, or was that someone else?

Am I confusing him with jeremy kyle?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
:v:

https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1499107484237193218

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lmao, naturally. christ this poo poo's depressing

jiggerypokery posted:

https://twitter.com/RPPSanford/status/1498974532396367873

Jermy wino says 18-20 year old russians deserve to die

"that's life"

jesus gently caress off

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
jeremy vine is a complete bimbo, he ruins radio 2 every day :mad:

like you should hear some of the poo poo he comes out with

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and he always assumes everyone shares his ignorance, like "how do mobile telephones actually work?! nobody knows!!!"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
He does seem to think his job is be the thickest participant in any conversation. Which frankly is a threat to my USP

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Hmm yes BBC, very cool move to have a photo of a Soyuz rocket on the launchpad under the 'war in Ukraine' heading. Definitely a very sensible thing to do at this particular juncture.

lmao they already changed the photo to be a much more obvious spacecraft not ICBM, someone got yelled at

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Like, he might be a twat but 1, he's not russia, and 2 war crimes is a bit strong

(from the telegraph)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

Like, he might be a twat but 1, he's not russia, and 2 war crimes is a bit strong

(from the telegraph)

lmao that's great, though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The war crimes of Sir Kyiv Stormer

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Barry Foster posted:

I saw the way they talked to you in there, and I was sorry to see it, mate. Bunch of loving bug-eyed jut-jaw yank liberal fucks

Thanks bud. Keep safe! That goes for you as well owl fancier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Thanks bud. Keep safe! That goes for you as well owl fancier.

And you, Josef.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LOL if true.

https://twitter.com/Pady_oFurniture/status/1498547712580816896

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Denazification in action.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It is not enough for us to imagine Sisyphus happy, we must make him agree with us.

I giggled.

OwlFancier, correct on all counts. But... you're viewing the rear side of the tapestry. You'll need knowledge of the is-ought problem, but more importantly you need to question rationality and your motivations to be rational in the first place. You're getting a little caught up in what you can't change without paying attention to it defining the inverse.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:yeshaha:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1499058703009558533

Interesting. I only know of one direct backer and they're I think resident in the UK, no obvious names stand out so unless it's someone funding legatum who in turn fund GB news I've no idea.

E: The person is named in a followup tweet. Sorry for the heil link:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5695573/Legatum-founder-suspected-spy.html

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Why does international espionage mostly involve boring old twats

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Why does international espionage mostly involve boring old twats

Because boring old twats are who control most places.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Possibly the first time betteridges law of headlines has been wrong, tbh.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/03/01/does-the-ukraine-exodus-reveal-a-shocking-distinction-on-refugees-in-some-parts-of-the-eu

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

"Shocking" "some parts" yeah OK lol.

Poland & Hungary are probably the loudest parts but it's not like Denmark doesn't have more than its share of swivel-eyed loons yelling about the invasion of muslamics with their rayguns or whatever the Danish equivalent is, the FN regularly poll as the 2nd or 3rd largest party in France, Austria's 3rd party the FPO are very much the equals of Fidesz & PiS(s) (incidentally, this is a good sentence from the FPO Wikipedia, "Its first leader, Anton Reinthaller, was a former Nazi functionary and SS officer, though the party did not advocate extreme right policies and presented itself as residing in the political centre." Liberalism.txt), & so on, so forth. Anyone shocked that the EU is racist hasn't had racist policies towards refugees for at least as long as I've been paying attention to politics has had their head in the sand for 25 years & is probably dead from oxygen deprivation.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I don't think your mood - or anyone's - is nearly as dependent on externalities as you believe.

If you don't think the epidemic of mental health problems, including mood issues, isn't massively impacted on the "externalities" of late capitalism then I've got a boat to sell you, only used once, you'll just need to go pick it up from the floor of the Atlantic & maybe patch a couple of minor dents & holes.

Josef bugman posted:

I just got my av changed by, I think, the war thread in D&D, so I am a touch sad at that.

I just think the whole thing is tragic. Nothing good is going to come out of it.

Sucks. Unfortunately this is just a reminder that basically no part of D&D outside of UKMT is worth engaging with because it's full of prats.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Sucks. Unfortunately this is just a reminder that basically no part of D&D outside of UKMT is worth engaging with because it's full of prats.

honestly it's true for d&d and cspam both. outside of a handful of threads, one is terminally lib-brained or decorum-poisoned, and the other is completely flat-out insane

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
As a malcontent, it's always been a great comfort that I can kill myself at any time, but if Britain was invaded it would genuinely be an emotional roller coaster. I thrive in a crisis and love a bit of chaos. Or maybe running at an enemy tank wearing a saucepan on my head and waving a pointy stick is just an elaborate suicide plan with crap cosplay.

If conscription is re-introduced, we can form the Something Awful Kamikaze Company.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mediaphage posted:

honestly it's true for d&d and cspam both. outside of a handful of threads, one is terminally lib-brained or decorum-poisoned, and the other is completely flat-out insane

Most threads around USPOL are garbage, & I generally disagree with a lot of the Leninists in CSPAM, but there are far more threads worth reading there than in D&D. Especially the Doomsday Economics/NUMBER thread, Failing NYT, the Radio War Nerd thread, Elon Musk thread can all be quite amusing, & the UK thread is nice because you can poo poo post & tell libs to gently caress off without dumb Yank mods getting all pissy that you were rude to some twat getting horny about war but it does sort of feel like it's basically UKMT without some posters & with others.

The stuff like the Trump thread is deffo deranged but a lot of the bad posters seem largely quarantined to it so it is easy to avoid.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

forkboy84 posted:

the UK thread is nice because you can poo poo post & tell libs to gently caress off without dumb Yank mods getting all pissy that you were rude to some twat getting horny about war but it does sort of feel like it's basically UKMT without some posters & with others.

It is the UK Mock Thread though? :confused:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lady Demelza posted:

As a malcontent, it's always been a great comfort that I can kill myself at any time, but if Britain was invaded it would genuinely be an emotional roller coaster. I thrive in a crisis and love a bit of chaos. Or maybe running at an enemy tank wearing a saucepan on my head and waving a pointy stick is just an elaborate suicide plan with crap cosplay.

If conscription is re-introduced, we can form the Something Awful Kamikaze Company.

Improvised head protection from the Egyptian revolution:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

mediaphage posted:

To be fair, flat-out insanity is a sane and appropriate response to the world as it stands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/NeighboursTV/status/1499263412534136867

:toot: