Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah so this is what I mean with losing perspective by every bad thing automatically being the worst thing.
So you would be willing to accept foreign invaders forcing you to live in a society with no free democratic elections, that jails people for having different political opinions, murders journalists and has no free press? Because those are the things that Russian imperialist war machine is trying to export. It is reality in Russia, it is not a matter of 'losing perspective' whatever that means. Sure I can think of even worst things but that doesn't mean people shouldn't fight against it. Even if the odds are slim.

quote:

The answer to your question according to Putin is that he:
1. intends to demilitarize Ukraine, which concretely appears to mean destroy as much Ukrainian militarily materiel as possible to the point where the country will not have a functioning military
2. intends to kill, or maybe capture and put on show-trial, a bunch of people associated with Azov and the like as well as the high-level Ukrainian government
How does he intend to do those without occupation? He destroys Ukrainian military and then leaves allowing them to rebuild like they did in 2014? Or is he going to come back every time Ukraine remilitarizes? And about the decapitation of political class, does he think that Ukrainians aren't going to vote for even more anti-Russian people after the war? Is he going to come back with an invasion after every election? No, of course not. He isn't going to play some kind of geopolitical whack-a-mole game where he reinvades every second year, he's going for occupation and creation of puppet government that exemplifies those things I talked about at the beginning of this post. No free elections, only pro-Russian government is allowed and dissiders will be dealt with. That is what Putin meant with the 'solution to Ukrainian question' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah, no. You don't get to take all the times we assisted or supported in invading or couping independent countries and say "yeah that was hypocritical, but our principles stand". Respect for independent countries is patently not one of our principles. Believing that it is is falling for propaganda.
It has nothing to do with propaganda, it's a consequence of the EU founding principles. This is not an all-or-nothing affair, by the way. Ideals do not disappear with hypocritical actions, as long as the organization or person in question still genuinely strives towards them, or defines their identity by them.

This is not a question of good or bad, this is merely a question of how we define ourselves. Sure, you can say the EU is evil due failing its ideals. Indeed, on that level of aggregation everyone and everything is evil. Russia, China, the US, the EU. Hell, everyone.

But your contention that we must give up our principles because they have been failed is, sorry, dumb. Consider this: Russia and the EU have now clearly brought forth parts of their ideals, which are clearly in conflict. If we give up on ours, the Russian ones are those that remain.

Orange Devil posted:

I've been agreeing since the very start that the blame primarily falls on Russia and especially Putin. I think it is useful to also look beyond this and examine the roles our own countries have played and the choices we made, for I do continue to believe that those choices had an impact on the eventual outcome. I don't believe that you mean for example that Ukraine would be attacked whether they were associated with the EU/NATO or not, for it would mean claiming that Russia would have also attacked had Ukraine been a full EU and NATO member, which is difficult to imagine.

This is the crux though: There are many reasons why Ukraine could not have realistically become an EU or NATO member - at least in time. The major reason is that we simply could not have imagined that Putin had outright expansionist ideas. Until last week, many of us still bought the idea that NATO was somehow encroaching on Russia.
The alternative you propose is simply unrealistic.

On the other hand, the people who propose that Ukraine should have fell on its knees to appease Russia propose a miserable and despicable outcome which, in my opinion, is even worse than the chance for a people to fight for their freedom. In any case, and for good reason, this was not our choice to make.Ukraine chose to fight for their existence as a country, and by our own stated definition as an organization of people, we are compelled to support them. If you feel that past and present failures of the EU absolve us from this obligation, you are wrong.

Orange Devil posted:

The question though is, what good does repeatedly stating that Russia and Putin are primarily at fault do us?
Nothing, these discussions arise solely because people erroneously state that Russia and Putin are not entirely to blame for the war. Which they are.
As you say, however, blame does not really matter, only consequences do.

Orange Devil posted:

It doesn't change a single thing about what is happening and the suffering being visited on, primarily, the people of Ukraine. Ultimately we do not appear to have the power to change Russia's actions. We do have the power to change our own. So it seems more productive to me to spend our time thinking about and discussing those. Especially because I don't think that there is anyone in this thread who actually believes Russia and especially Putin are primarily to blame.
Sure, I did that as well. First and foremost, we must show unity with Ukraine and a willingness to punish Putin's action even at a cost to ourselves.

Orange Devil posted:

OK but for example my country has been a de-facto US vassal state for many decades now, firmly in its imperial grip. It's not great, but it is also not the end of the world. Standing up to just Russia isn't going to "stop imperialism".
Ukraine has clearly chosen differently, and it is a good thing to support this. There are few things in life that are as morally and ethically clear as this one. It doesn't even matter if the US is doing the supportin'. It's the same with the genocides against different Muslim groups going on in the world right now. Standing against those genocides is correct, even if you are suddenly standing together with terrible organizations like the CIA. That sucks, but it's still right. It doesn't make you wrong by association, nor does it make the genocidal states right, no matter how often that is the argument in these forums.

Orange Devil posted:

As for the economy, what specific resources does Russia require that it cannot get as a result of the economic sanctions that you think might stall their invasion? And again, I do not think there is going to be an occupation nor that one was ever planned to begin with. One of the reasons I think this is because of the costs involved.
Well here I think delivery of medicine, food and weapons is the primary thing we can do. Economic sanctions might help the resistance in the long run, but I do not expect them to break the Russian military in the short term.
Economic sanctions are instead meant as a deterrence and they must therefore show that the EU, US and UK combined are able to inflict considerable damage on a country choosing to attempt such illegal, immoral and despicable acts. If these sanctions fail, they can never again be used as a deterrence and we can expect much more expansionary wars in the future.
Instead, if these sanctions force Russia into submission, they will become a meaningful deterrence against such acts, which would be strongly desirable for the EU.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 2, 2022

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Irrelevant, a greater danger exists for the EU in accepting these fait accompli without reaction.

As a citizen of the EU I don't agree that "economically destroying a nuclear power" presents less of an existential danger to us than not doing so. We can all only hope that the risk is worth the reward.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's basically the war between The Culture and the Idiran Empire. In this essay, I will…

I am joking, please don't hit me

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

The answer to your question according to Putin is that he:
1. intends to demilitarize Ukraine, which concretely appears to mean destroy as much Ukrainian militarily materiel as possible to the point where the country will not have a functioning military
2. intends to kill, or maybe capture and put on show-trial, a bunch of people associated with Azov and the like as well as the high-level Ukrainian government

I also would not be surprised and kind of expect Putin to go for an annexation play of at least Donetsk, Luhansk and a land corridor to Crimea at this point. I would be surprised if Putin goes for an annexation of significant land west of the Dnieper.

Also, No.

Putin wants to end the Ukraine, he said so.
Beyond that, and the leaked article, you can now even read in the main newspapers that a neutral and demilitarized Ukraine minus the mentioned areas will "not be enough" as Nazis will seep back in: https://www.kp.ru/daily/27371.3/4552402/
Read it yourself dude, it's from the horse's mouth. "Ukraine, assembled over several decades from the territories torn away from Russia and its own territorial gifts, cannot remain united."

Putin literally intends to destroy Ukraine. That's all there is to it. Stop pretending there's another out here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It certainly would be nice getting a bunch of Azov Battallion leaders publicly getting bullets in their heads, if anything is going to come of this mess.

Unfortunately more likely they get evacuated and begin their long, lucrative careers on 'bipartisan' social media.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It certainly would be nice getting a bunch of Azov Battallion leaders publicly getting bullets in their heads, if anything is going to come of this mess.
It would be pretty cool if the Russian neo-Nazi units and the Ukrainian neo-Nazi units managed to kill each other off.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Antigravitas posted:

It's basically the war between The Culture and the Idiran Empire. In this essay, I will…

I am joking, please don't hit me

lol, if only
:smith:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So much for the tolerant left!

active censorship of news agencies seems relevant when discussing whether the commitment to free speech in the EU is an inherent part of the project imo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

V. Illych L. posted:

active censorship of news agencies seems relevant when discussing whether the commitment to free speech in the EU is an inherent part of the project imo

Yeah, freedom of speech totally means copies of The Daily Stormer and Völkischer Beobachter at every newsstand, lmao

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

not sure that i'd agree with the assessment of RT as Literally Hitler, but also, if the commitment to free speech is a fundamental EU value upon which there can be no compromise then the actual censorship of actual news sources in the present moment seems to be a specific contradiction of that

the point isn't much broader than "the EU is not constitutively committed to free speech", i'm not saying that that's necessarily a bad thing

e. i am not, myself, ideologically committed to free speech in all cases, and banning e.g. holocaust denialism in germany doesn't strike me as the end of the world

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

not sure that i'd agree with the assessment of RT as Literally Hitler, but also, if the commitment to free speech is a fundamental EU value upon which there can be no compromise then the actual censorship of actual news sources in the present moment seems to be a specific contradiction of that

the point isn't much broader than "the EU is not constitutively committed to free speech", i'm not saying that that's necessarily a bad thing

e. i am not, myself, ideologically committed to free speech in all cases, and banning e.g. holocaust denialism in germany doesn't strike me as the end of the world

If the EU decided to arrest and jail people only because they're involved with RT then you would have had a point. But they are not arresting anyone.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 2, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Banning media spreading conspiracy theories, xenophobia and fascism is good, and not "contradictory" to principles of liberty. Intolerance can't be tolerated, tolerance can only be a mutual contract, not a one way street, etc. - all these clichés are actually true.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the specific statement in question is:

"Democracy, free speech and other values are deeply embedded in our institutions"

the rather casual act of censoring news outlets - based on what criterion of truth and conspiracy theories? there has been no serious court treatment of this, it's a political act - seems to run contrary to the idea that free speech is "deeply embedded" in the institutions of the EU. i don't think that silencing outlets used for propaganda by a power considered hostile is an especially outrageous move in and of itself, but it doesn't speak to free speech as a "deeply embedded" value held as extremely important to the everyday functioning of the institution.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

politically shutting down news outlets is often seen as restricting freedom of speech, is the point. i can see it being the right thing to do - i am not, myself, an absolutist on free speech matters - but this is not a great time to claim that the EU is totally committed to the principle of free speech. because there's a very compelling counterexample of that going on right now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The paradox of tolerance dates back to just after the second world-war; it's not a new concept.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You are applying an absolutist view of free speech that has been proven to be utterly wrong during the Weimar Republic.

No EU country is obligated to keep a hostile government's state media operating within its jurisdiction.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sure but that tends to imply that the EU is not deeply institutionally wedded to free speech as a principle. this is not a condemnation of the EU on those terms, it's just a response to the attempt to characterise the union as having a certain attitude which i don't think it has

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
No, you just don't have a good concept of what free speech means.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Free speech as in you don't get paid.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It is absolutely deeply wedded to free speech as a principle, it just doesn't subscribe to an absolutist definition yanks pretend they have absolute claim to.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

steinrokkan posted:

No, you just don't have a good concept of what free speech means.

i'm pretty sure that in countries we don't like, political institutions shutting down news outlets is seen as a free speech issue

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this is not absolutist, it's pretty basic that if anyone regulates speech it's typically done through judicial systems and not directly via political or bureaucratic institutions

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Free speech as in what I say is required to be heard by everyone.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Free speech as a matter of policy, rather than some half-assed abstract unrefined idea, is the freedom of speech which does not infringe on other freedoms of the polity that exercises this right. Including inciting hatred against its members, destabilizing its democratic institutions etc. This is commonly understood throughout Europe and there is nothing against being absolutely committed to free speech in banning outlets that violate the fundamental principles of the Union, any more than making murder illegal is a violation of commitment to personal freedom.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

right but these things are typically decided by courts where individuals and institutions have an opportunity to make their case

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

an example of this:

https://english.radio.cz/chief-prosecutor-warns-against-public-support-russian-aggression-8743179

this is how restrictions on freedom of speech are typically handled. i personally think that this is going too far, but it's presumably appealable to the ECHR if it actually ends up having legal consequences and you get to argue your case according to the law. it is not, notably, ursula von der leyen deciding that some czech is out of order and that their blog has to be taken down or w/e

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Shockingly I agree that banning Sputnik and RT was not the best move, after having them available for years.

It just doesn’t seem necessary, and it has a whiff of foregoing proper procedure to kill off some Putin mouthpiece on the quick. We do not need to operate like that.

On the other hand, I prefer the spirited response by the EU even if imperfect, over the anemic posturing we’d otherwise get.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

an example of this:

https://english.radio.cz/chief-prosecutor-warns-against-public-support-russian-aggression-8743179

this is how restrictions on freedom of speech are typically handled. i personally think that this is going too far, but it's presumably appealable to the ECHR if it actually ends up having legal consequences and you get to argue your case according to the law. it is not, notably, ursula von der leyen deciding that some czech is out of order and that their blog has to be taken down or w/e

Everything is appealable. It’s not like Ursula is some kind of extra-legal force majeure.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

no but it's still an executive shutting down a press organisation by fiat, which doesn't imply being deep institutionally wedded to the principle of free speech, in which case one would expect more normal procedures to be followed

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

no but it's still an executive shutting down a press organisation by fiat, which doesn't imply being deep institutionally wedded to the principle of free speech, in which case one would expect more normal procedures to be followed
Given that the EU is clearly on a war footing, this kind of seems normal within the context of how speech is handled? We're not talking EU news sources, but news outlets controlled by a state the EU is "at war" with.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i was not aware that the EU was at war with russia, it certainly hasn't been declared in any legal sense. the EU is not under martial law or state of exception or anything afaik

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Shockingly I agree that banning Sputnik and RT was not the best move, after having them available for years.

It just doesn’t seem necessary, and it has a whiff of foregoing proper procedure to kill off some Putin mouthpiece on the quick. We do not need to operate like that.

On the other hand, I prefer the spirited response by the EU even if imperfect, over the anemic posturing we’d otherwise get.

It's always been an option but ruled out because as Illych points out, it is an unconventional infringment on free speech.

That's why I think this all just isn't about the invasion of Ukraine. This is all about sending a message to Russia that the bar on EU tolerance for all the disinformation/dirty tricks/malign activity it does all the time has been lowered permamently. No more just shrugging and saying 'free speech', now it comes with a reaction. At least I hope that's what it is.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given that the EU is clearly on a war footing, this kind of seems normal within the context of how speech is handled? We're not talking EU news sources, but news outlets controlled by a state the EU is "at war" with.

Are you saying that two nuclear powers are currently at war?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

i was not aware that the EU was at war with russia, it certainly hasn't been declared in any legal sense. the EU is not under martial law or state of exception or anything afaik
I mean, the Russian war on Ukraine hasn't been declared in a legal sense either. In any case, you have the EU basically pushing every avenue of "not technically war under established norms", but with the exact same goals as if it was directly at war with Russia. In this case it's just going all-in on economically crippling Russia while supplying Ukraine with material and intel to make the war as bloody as possible for the Russians. Given that the EU can't declare actual war on Russia, due to the whole nuclear power thing, being directly at war in a shooting sense can't be a requirement for treating it as war.

Alchenar posted:

It's always been an option but ruled out because as Illych points out, it is an unconventional infringment on free speech.

That's why I think this all just isn't about the invasion of Ukraine. This is all about sending a message to Russia that the bar on EU tolerance for all the disinformation/dirty tricks/malign activity it does all the time has been lowered permamently. No more just shrugging and saying 'free speech', now it comes with a reaction. At least I hope that's what it is.
I hope you're right, and this is basically a case of relations with Russia being essentially bistable, and this is Russia pushing the EU out of one stable state and into another. Hopefully not in terms of hostility towards Russia, but a general idea of strategic security and European unity which just happens to mean hostility towards Russia in the present.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The EU has struck "against" a lot of its principles - freedom of movement, freedom of trade, freedom of property, in the course of issuing its sanctions. Such is the nature of executive action at times of emergency.

Doubt anybody would suggest the EU has secretly shown it is actually secretly Communist and its supposed commitment to politics based on liberal economics has been a ruse.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, the Russian war on Ukraine hasn't been declared in a legal sense either. In any case, you have the EU basically pushing every avenue of "not technically war under established norms", but with the exact same goals as if it was directly at war with Russia. In this case it's just going all-in on economically crippling Russia while supplying Ukraine with material and intel to make the war as bloody as possible for the Russians. Given that the EU can't declare actual war on Russia, due to the whole nuclear power thing, being directly at war in a shooting sense can't be a requirement for treating it as war.

I hope you're right, and this is basically a case of relations with Russia being essentially bistable, and this is Russia pushing the EU out of one stable state and into another. Hopefully not in terms of hostility towards Russia, but a general idea of strategic security and European unity which just happens to mean hostility towards Russia in the present.

right but there's no formal suspension of the normal way of doing things, in which case the suppression of news outlets from unfriendly countries must be interpreted within the EU's normal institutional framework. such suppression does not obviously gel with a deep, institutional commitment to free speech.

this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a thing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
War isn't the only "abnormal" state of things. The current international order is established specifically to feature a long tier list of normally non-permissible emergency measures in order to make war as unlikely as possible. Countries resorting to things that go against the normal way of doing business without declaring war is, in a way, a normal way of doing business, and international institutions working as intended in a crisis.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

V. Illych L. posted:

right but there's no formal suspension of the normal way of doing things, in which case the suppression of news outlets from unfriendly countries must be interpreted within the EU's normal institutional framework. such suppression does not obviously gel with a deep, institutional commitment to free speech.

this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is a thing

What is the manner in which these channels got shut down though? I mean, we are arguing on the basis that it was extraprocedual at least, but is this is really true?

Another option is that the EU in whatever from does have procedure to do exactly that. In which case, it need not speak against an "institutional commitment of free speech" as such, except perhaps in the narrow sense that the institutions are constrained ex ante.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah but having an executive option to shut down news outlets is not Great from a free-speech perspective, and is exactly the sort of thing which is often criticised by europe and the US on free speech grounds