Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Do Shawn Dean and Carli Bravo tag together on the indies somewhere? I liked them as a team on Dark during the Daily's Place pandemic shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Do Shawn Dean and Carli Bravo tag together on the indies somewhere? I liked them as a team on Dark during the Daily's Place pandemic shows.

They do! Saw them announced for a couple of IWTV shows: https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=23922&page=4

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Did Mick Foley have a retirement video set to I Will Remember You? I vaguely remember it being around his 2000 retirement but can't find it online. I can only find his Saliva hardcore tribute video from 2003 and his hall of fame ceremony package. Just want to check I'm not going crazy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

When Misawa and company left AJPW to form NOAH, were they able to keep their entrance music or did they have to make new ones? Though Misawa's entrance music is from a Jackie Chan movie anyway so lol

All the music carried over cause they used music from other sources so All Japan couldn't claim ownership. It wasn't till the mid 00's that you saw the big companies produce original music cause of copyright and ownership

Which always struck me as odd cause I've always thought Japan's music rights laws were strict even I the 80's and 90's

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Talking about Chikara in the AEW thread made me think, and if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but is there any wrestler whose influence and reach far exceeded what their career was as Larry Sweeney? He was only around a few years, never hit the big time, and then we tragically lost him. But in the decade since he is still talked of admirably, people still look back on him for influence, and just about all of his contemporaries will name him alongside other more famous pioneers who lead wrestling to what it has become today. People to this day know Larry Sweeney even if they never once saw him because he comes up so often.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lid posted:

Talking about Chikara in the AEW thread made me think, and if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but is there any wrestler whose influence and reach far exceeded what their career was as Larry Sweeney? He was only around a few years, never hit the big time, and then we tragically lost him. But in the decade since he is still talked of admirably, people still look back on him for influence, and just about all of his contemporaries will name him alongside other more famous pioneers who lead wrestling to what it has become today. People to this day know Larry Sweeney even if they never once saw him because he comes up so often.

Closest approximation I can think of is Tom Magee. Maybe Gino Hernandez.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm inclined to say Eddie Gilbert even if he had a brief run in NWA/WCW.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

reality_groove posted:

Did Mick Foley have a retirement video set to I Will Remember You? I vaguely remember it being around his 2000 retirement but can't find it online. I can only find his Saliva hardcore tribute video from 2003 and his hall of fame ceremony package. Just want to check I'm not going crazy.

It existed, I'm sure of it. It was pre-youtube for sure, i had a copy of it for several years until i lost it in a hard drive crash.

I don't remember if it was official or fan-made or where i got it from or why it even existed because he was back on tv like a month later?

I'm guessing it was from around 2002

titties fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 2, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is the This Is Your Life segment with Nick Faley and The Rock still the highest rated WWE segment? Or was it just the biggest in the Attitude Era?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a silly thing I just thought of:

Lets say you work for one of the big companies and for whatever reason, you are not on TV for a while.

Surely you still have to keep going to the gym and practising to keep your body in tip top shape. Whilst also keep going to the tanning booths etc. to keep you looking "TV ready".

How demoralizing must that be for a wrestler, to be still spending multiple hours a day pumping iron, and doing ring drills etc. whilst getting sprayed with dyeand god know what else to maintain an unrealistic physical appearance, only for it all to be for noting as you drive another 4 hours in a rental car you paid for yourself to sit in the green room of a stadium to hear your friends getting cheered. yet again.

So um .... not really a question though. Sorry.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

BrigadierSensible posted:

Lets say you work for one of the big companies and for whatever reason, you are not on TV for a while.

Surely you still have to keep going to the gym and practising to keep your body in tip top shape. Whilst also keep going to the tanning booths etc. to keep you looking "TV ready".

How demoralizing must that be for a wrestler, to be still spending multiple hours a day pumping iron, and doing ring drills etc. whilst getting sprayed with dyeand god know what else to maintain an unrealistic physical appearance, only for it all to be for noting as you drive another 4 hours in a rental car you paid for yourself to sit in the green room of a stadium to hear your friends getting cheered. yet again.

The biggest marks are in the back, bro

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is the This Is Your Life segment with Nick Faley and The Rock still the highest rated WWE segment? Or was it just the biggest in the Attitude Era?

It was never the highest rated anything, thats a myth that they propagated for... some reason. Undertaker v Steve Austin 28 June 1999 is the highest ever.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It was never the highest rated segment - iirc the highest ever was a match between Austin and Undertaker the night after KotR ‘99, where Austin won back the title after losing the CEO position in a ladder match the night before

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

It was never the highest rated anything, thats a myth that they propagated for... some reason. Undertaker v Steve Austin 28 June 1999 is the highest ever.

because the person who started the myth was vince russo and his point was that people dont wanna watch wrestlin matches bro its about the SEGMENTS

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this is your life is impressively poo poo for a segment that has two all time great promos in it

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

getting paid to stay swole and eat a shitload sounds less terrible than getting paid to go to most jobs

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
plus hearing my friends do well? gently caress yes

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Cribbing from WhatCulture four segments were higher rated than This is Your Life, and... it's a list.

1. Steve Austin v The Undertaker
2. Shane O Mac, Triple H, The Undertaker v Vince, Steve Austin and The Rock
3. The Stooges v The Mean Street Posse (yes, literally)
4. The Rock and Lita v Triple H and Trish Stratus

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jesus WEP posted:

this is your life is impressively poo poo for a segment that has two all time great promos in it

That's why the viewership was so high, people love a trainwreck. Piper's Family on Nitro did a big number too.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

I agree that it would be frustrating, but it happens to the bench players on sports teams and understudies in plays, too.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Lid posted:

2. Shane O Mac, Triple H, The Undertaker v Vince, Steve Austin and The Rock

That period between Shane establishing the Corporate Ministry and Vince being revealed as the Higher Power was....something

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I find lifting weights to be pretty fun, but I would be in hell if I had to tan multiple times a week and get a fresh haircut every few days and whiten my teeth and keep my roots dyed at all times and shave my back hair all the time, but I figure if you're the kind of person who wants to be a pro wrestler on the television then looking good is a thing that you're into just naturally

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

That's why the viewership was so high, people love a trainwreck. Piper's Family on Nitro did a big number too.

I've always wondered if there was any kind of story behind Piper's Family when using the three active Horsemen felt like the much more obvious choice and what they went with anyway.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Dawgstar posted:

I've always wondered if there was any kind of story behind Piper's Family when using the three active Horsemen felt like the much more obvious choice and what they went with anyway.

Roddy is crazy is the story. He thought it would get over and they were his people.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

All the music carried over cause they used music from other sources so All Japan couldn't claim ownership. It wasn't till the mid 00's that you saw the big companies produce original music cause of copyright and ownership

Which always struck me as odd cause I've always thought Japan's music rights laws were strict even I the 80's and 90's

They (along with NJPW) were involved with major broadcasters, so my guess is that whatever blanket license fees was paid to use songs on variety shows probably also covered the rasslin’. Because you sure hear a lot of songs used on Japanese TV that would be too expensive for American broadcasts (hi, Beatles).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Thinking of Jon Moxley, Malakai Black, Adam Cole, Miro, FTR and Andrade, whom out of them would you say is the biggest squandered opportunity for the WWE?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 3, 2022

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Miro.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

It’s either miro or Moxley, miro for being the body type Vince likes or Moxley to just basically be 21st century stone cold Steve Austin.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Moxley. He was knocking at the door or being a top guy and could of easily been a Cena level star at least but nobody could be bigger than Roman so....

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

Thinking of Jon Moxley, Malakai Black, Adam Cole, Miro, FTR and Andrade, whom out of them would you say is the biggest squandered opportunity for the WWE?

Either Andrade or Malakai. Andrade is a proven main event talent who was in the second biggest gate in the history of Mexico and they wouldn't do anything with him. They did even less with Malakai but he's not the kind of proven big time talent Andrade was, so maybe they squandered less.

Moxley was legitimately a very big star there and they did a lot with him even if they hosed him up too. They did a lot with Miro too even if they hosed it up worse. Adam Cole left on his own and they didn't get a chance to completely squander him first, even if they wasted him in the minors. FTR aren't the level of can't miss talents as the rest and 30 years of tag teams being mostly meaningless (with a few exceptions) in WWE meant there was less to squander.

But Andrade is the kind of talent they have been trying to find since they decided Rey was too old 12 years ago.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

edogawa rando posted:

Trick question. It's PAC.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

how about lance archer

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lance archer was bad until he went to japan and had back surgery and learned he could do flips with a functional back

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

At the time, Moxley. Upsides, Miro then Andrade. Black has been fun. I don't get Cole yet but it took time for Black and Andrade to grow on me. I don't like Black's new guys yet but I probably will. And yeah, Pac needs to be included too. I'd put him with Andrade.

You could probably do the same question with people that wwe disrespected.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Do we know who's applying the hold to Arquette & Caan in the poster?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
A tad late on the wrestler cameos discussion, but I watched a weird as hell indie fantasy-comedy called Dave Made a Maze. Nick Thune builds a box fort in his apartment that becomes a sentient labyrinth, complete with a Minotaur who stalks and kills people. I looked at the credits and the Minotaur was played by John Morrison in a bull mask.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Will Khan have to redo all the music for ROHs tape library because they never licensed the tracks?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Arbite posted:

Do we know who's applying the hold to Arquette & Caan in the poster?

I don't know the answer to your question but i love this movie and nobody better talk poo poo about it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve never noticed the wonky photoshopping on that poster before. David Arquette’s shoulders and neck would be all kinds of hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bonk posted:

A tad late on the wrestler cameos discussion, but I watched a weird as hell indie fantasy-comedy called Dave Made a Maze. Nick Thune builds a box fort in his apartment that becomes a sentient labyrinth, complete with a Minotaur who stalks and kills people. I looked at the credits and the Minotaur was played by John Morrison in a bull mask.

HIGH FIVE!