Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

That Little Demon posted:

I love sonic adventure one because it was like my first "next gen" game on dreamcast I ever played, so I love it for that. Feels really, really weird too and gives off some strange vibes, especially the music. SA2 is one of the worst goddamn games I ever played in my life lol

ArfJason posted:

The music in sa1 is impeccable and theres smth to be said about how much less railroady the stage design is than in later ones

Yeah everything aside from the complaints I mentioned was good. For the most part it’s a very cozy game, I actually enjoyed going around and talking to all the various NPCs that change between each mission

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zurtilik posted:

hosed me and my wife up.

His name?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Finished Katamri Damacy Reroll and Vanquish. Both were great.

I'm going to return to Vanquish sometime after Elden Ring for sure. I played it on Normal difficulty, and I'm curious if Hard ends up making the combat/controls feel super tight and makes for a fair feeling challenge, or if it'll just turn to bull poo poo . The game is super cool-feeling & probably my favorite singleplayer shooter now, but you also get a lot of leeway on Normal & fights can feel a bit messy/bruteforced/undesrved wins because of it, so def keen on revisiting @ higher difficulty.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i wouldnt go so far to say sa1 is a good or well constructed video game but i still love it. sa2 is really bad though lol especially going back to it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Plebian Parasite posted:

If you're talking about all the ARG bullshit I agree, that stuff can kick rocks; but if you're talking about all the goofy pulpy "what if SATAN made a game" or "What if game characters killed their own dev" that poo poo is cool and I'm glad he's doing it.
it's not so much the fact that he's doing that stuff, it's that doing that stuff isn't really a satisfying payoff to what he initially draws you in with

it's like if partway through Silent Hill 2, you're going "if his wife is dead, who sent that letter? why is this town abandoned and full of monsters? what's up with the few other people that are here? why are they acting so strangely, and why does Maria look just like his wife? what is that mysterious thing with the giant triangle helmet stalking me?"

and the game was like "well, it turns out he's actually a character from a horror video game, and those were all features of that game, and now he has to escape that game and get revenge on its creator"
and it turns into a pretty solid video game about a horror protagonist getting revenge on his creator, but we never get the whole "he killed his wife and the town is drawing out his guilt and punishing him" thing

e: Pony Island is less guilty of this than The Hex and Inscryption, but you see what I'm saying
I'm still mentally back in theat foggy monster town, waiting for a payoff for all this intrigue
I'm in the forest cabin with this imposing theatrical weirdo who wants a play a card game with me about blood sacrifice
I'm in a bar where six video game characters from different genres come together on a dark and stormy night and one of them is a murderer

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

5. Yume Nikki

likely i wouldn't have even considered playng YM were it not one of my bf's favorite games ever, nor would i have finished it without him helping me through most of it lol. more of an experience than a game, but it won me over by the end with how surreal and bizarre it is.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Master Blaster Zero 2

Its always weird when a game is tougher in the beginning than in the end.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Record of Lodoss War - Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

It's like that Touhou game where I didn't know a single thing about what these are based on, and there's all these boss characters the main character just knows and instantly recognizes. But still very good game, I need to go back and finish that Touhou game now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sekiro, after a 30 minute battle with isshin lol. playin like a little bitch and exclusively damaging via lightning reversals in phase 3 while sweating ftw

as soon as i beat it i refought isshin again another two times. godly fight. i was mad at this when it came out because im bad at parrying. second time around i decided to get better and loved it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
2.24 - Elden Ring 100% All Bosses All Runes Deathless

10/10. Truly incredible game. Can't wait for the next thing these beautiful bastards come up with.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

American McGay posted:

2.24 - Elden Ring 100% All Bosses All Runes Deathless

10/10. Truly incredible game. Can't wait for the next thing these beautiful bastards come up with.

didnt collect all the banana coins for the extra 8%? 😹

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

mbt posted:

sekiro, after a 30 minute battle with isshin lol. playin like a little bitch and exclusively damaging via lightning reversals in phase 3 while sweating ftw

as soon as i beat it i refought isshin again another two times. godly fight. i was mad at this when it came out because im bad at parrying. second time around i decided to get better and loved it

I kept a save right before him until trials came out so I could duel him whenever I wanted.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Sonic Adventure 2. I have more of a soft spot for this game (probably because I got a GameCube instead of a Dreamcast so I played it first) but admittedly, aside from City Escape and a few other levels, it’s generally the weaker of the two. The story and cutscenes are more coherent, and in a weird way that kind of works to its detriment- the stilted offbeat feeling of the first game was a big part of its charm. At least the final boss was more fun, and they didn’t cut out the theme this time!

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

pictionary (nes)
this game’s really cool. it’s super short but a win’s a win

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Sonic Adventure 2. I have more of a soft spot for this game (probably because I got a GameCube instead of a Dreamcast so I played it first) but admittedly, aside from City Escape and a few other levels, it’s generally the weaker of the two. The story and cutscenes are more coherent, and in a weird way that kind of works to its detriment- the stilted offbeat feeling of the first game was a big part of its charm. At least the final boss was more fun, and they didn’t cut out the theme this time!

the choice to cut open your heart mid fight for some generic music at the final boss of SA1 is so unbelievably baffling, but more baffling is that they had the chance to fix this in Generations and they still cut it halfway

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
hypnospace outlaw but on the switch this time. i played on pc before the big patch came out so i hadnt seen much of the new stuff that got added until now. its all great, game is still incredible. cant recommend it enough

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Chrono Trigger

It's cool. Surprised that it was only 20-ish hours; I was expecting something way longer. I particularly enjoyed the combat; I found it surprisingly frenetic for a jrpg. Going in to the game I had assumed that the double/triple techniques were special super powers like pep powers in DQXI, so I was happily surprised by how often I got to use the combination attacks.

My final party was Crono / Frog / Lucca, chosen because they were my favourite characters. I got the "Beyond Time" ending.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
But did you do the Black Omen 3 times?!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Unavowed

i wasn't really into this, my favorite part of point-and-click adventure games is when they open up into a larger area with multiple puzzle chains you have to sort out and this one never does that, it's all small areas one at at time. puzzles were all really easy too.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

But did you do the Black Omen 3 times?!

No. I'm not Mamkute.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the black omen is so epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ScoaZC5bg

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Arrhythmia posted:

No. I'm not Mamkute.

I only went through it once, if you can get through the Black Omen you can defeat Lavos; it may be worth considering if you are aiming for the Dev Room ending.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Saint's Row 4. Glad I played this last in the series (not touching Lawbreakers), it's a great capstone.

The traversal system was the best part, they didn't do much to improve the feel of combat though. Surprised they brought back so many characters for this.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

go for the dev ending it's cute and gratifying and it's not THAT difficult you just need to level Crono up a bit and play smart

i was so loving stoked when i got it as a kid

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

tmfc posted:

go for the dev ending it's cute and gratifying and it's not THAT difficult you just need to level Crono up a bit and play smart

i was so loving stoked when i got it as a kid

I'm going to play Elden Ring.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Horizon Forbidden West - Platinum Trophy

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm going to play Elden Ring.

fair enough,

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Yakuza 5

Whew

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

1. SMT V
2. FFV Pixel Remaster
3. Trials of Mana (Switch port)
4. Life Is Strange

A very different experience from the previous games I've played and beaten, but it was fantastic and I loved it. It's disappointing that the other games in the series don't sound quite as good so I don't think I'll be checking them out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

1. SMT V
2. FFV Pixel Remaster
3. Trials of Mana (Switch port)
4. Life Is Strange

A very different experience from the previous games I've played and beaten, but it was fantastic and I loved it. It's disappointing that the other games in the series don't sound quite as good so I don't think I'll be checking them out.

Before the Storm is a prequel and it holds up to the first one, not as good but a good follow up imo. Definitely worth playing for as much as you liked the first one. Can’t speak on the most recent one which I haven’t played yet but skipping 2 is a good call yeah

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I need to ally the first one at some point

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Before the Storm is a prequel and it holds up to the first one, not as good but a good follow up imo. Definitely worth playing for as much as you liked the first one. Can’t speak on the most recent one which I haven’t played yet but skipping 2 is a good call yeah

good to know, I'll definitely take a look when I'm done the ff6 remaster.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

streets of rage 4. final stage was loving so hard i probably spent more time there than the rest of the game combined but it never really feels unfair.

had a solid gamer moment after coming back to it from a break and first time through just cruised through and finished with lives and specials to spare.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yakuza Kiwami

Much worse than 0 but still enjoyed it well enough. I've heard Kiwami 2 is extremely a step up so looking forward to that

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
1. Assassin’s Creed: Origins
2. Hitman
3. Hitman 2
4. Hitman 3
5. Inscryption

6. Pokemon Legends: Arceus

finished the story here. definitely going to go do a bunch of other stuff in it. cool as poo poo game! i hope sexual assault/scarlet essentially plays the same as this.

switch really showing it's limitations here. it would have been cool if this was voiced, or not silent 50% of the time.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the nintendo switch is simply unable to process voice acting.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
we did it bros.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Axelay (Normal 1CC)
3. Ninja Ryukenden III: Yomi no Hakobune (1CC)
4. Metroid Prime (63%, 6:49)
5. Tetris the Absolute: The Grand Master 2 PLUS - Master mode Gm (Green line) - video

Easily my proudest gaming achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
for further context ive been playing this game since 2007 and i got my first M (grade before Gm) about 4 years ago