Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tbh, lap use sounds like a worst case scenario for a top heavy kickstand based laptop from a comfort and stability standpoint - big part of what has me down on the z13 even though the cooling is insanely impressive for its size.

Interested to see how that use case works out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, I used a Surface on my lap all the time without issue, can't really see where this would be much different.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bull3964 posted:

Eh, I used a Surface on my lap all the time without issue, can't really see where this would be much different.

Oh, if you're already doing the kickstand lap thing and like it, you're probably right, can't imagine it would be much different.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One use case that I can totally see using is controller based games on it. Flip the keyboard out of the way or take it off and it's a much better experience than trying to do controller with a traditional laptop on your lap. The keyboard always got in the way of where my hands would naturally rest.

It's still absolutely an excessive toy, though I can't help but think if this came out last year I probably wouldn't have bought the G15 since I wouldn't necessarily need all that graphic power in a portable package.

I keep kidding myself that having a gaming PC in every form factor is going to let me make a dent in my steam library when I know that's not the case.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hmmmmm HMMMMMMMM hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Do I go with the Frameworks laptop or do I decide that yes I do "need' a dedicated graphics card and go with the G14. The G14 has a matte screen though which is bad. HMMMMMMMMMmmmm.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I feel like we are at a watershed moment.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-680m-rdna-igpu-outperforms-geforce-mx450-discrete-graphics

We are gonna have to update that thread title. iGPUs are powerful enough to obsolete the MX line.

Thin and lights might not be a game of compromises anymore.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
To be clear "beats out the lovely mx line" and "not a compromise between igpu and dgpu" is a big divide. The mx line sucked and was never a recommendation. Rdna2 looks really cool and I think you'll be able to do a lot, but I wouldn't say it's really competing against something like a 3060, especially at 1080p and above.

It's really good for low demand gaming though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Four years ago, I was praying for "igpus at least as powerful as a 750ti", and now we're getting ~1050ti levels of perf? I'll take it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Z13 just arrived. It'll be awhile before I can really play around with it, but first impressions are that it's super solid and premium.

From a size perspective it's about the same as a surface pro, just thicker. The tablet itself is as thick as the surface pro with the type cover on.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 24, 2022

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
Work has upgraded me to a dell precision 7560. What’s a good lower cost dock I can keep at home to make moving between spots easier? I have a wd19dcs they’ve supplied for the office. I’m not buying one of those for my house.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thunderbolt or USB3/4

Do you want 100+ watt USB-C PD pass through

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ohhh, being 100w max combined output has advantages.

This thing can game at full performance while on battery.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is Frankenfinger your alt account, or what

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hadlock posted:

Is Frankenfinger your alt account, or what

Ha, I didn't even read your post about the 100w for the dock. I was remarking on the Z13 having a 100w power limit to run the internals, lets it run full performance on battery.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Frankenfinger posted:

Work has upgraded me to a dell precision 7560. What’s a good lower cost dock I can keep at home to make moving between spots easier? I have a wd19dcs they’ve supplied for the office. I’m not buying one of those for my house.

You can get cheap USB-C dongles that rely on DP MST.
If you only need a single screen it's even easier.

Neither option will charge your laptop though, it will be two-cable docking.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have've had a cheapo :20bux: one just like this for years now and it works perfectly with my new X1

It's like a minimal viable dock, but it charges through it

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

This is inside my laptop if anyone likes that sort of thing. Replaced the MediaTek garbage with intel AX200. The parts are so small that it was very difficult to get it in place, especially connecting the antennas. But lo and behold, wlan0 was detected with an $ ip link show. At first still didn't work, but I discovered with rfkill, there was a hardblock the entire time. There is a switch on the side that I never noticed. I slid it up and wifi instantly came up working fine. Still glad to have the new card in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Steam Deck isn't ready for prime time according to all the reviews coming out. Still looks like a fun thing to try out if you have an extra $400 sitting around since it's really promising once they figure out the bugs.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Steam Deck isn't ready for prime time according to all the reviews coming out. Still looks like a fun thing to try out if you have an extra $400 sitting around since it's really promising once they figure out the bugs.

That seems like an uncharitable interpretation of the tone of most reviews, which is more more like "This thing is already awesome to play games on. The OS needs another month or two in the oven, but Valve is pushing massive updates and improvements daily. Totally recommend." There's even some "This is the most innovative/best/most important advancement in gaming PCs in x years/ever."

The Verge review is the only one I've read/watched that seems like more of a downer, but it also sounds like that reviewer wrote their review a week earlier than everyone else and didn't have the benefit of any of those updates.

But it's all moot, since if you're just deciding to plunk down $400 today, you won't be getting one until next year anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The steam deck is neither a laptop nor really a console, so if you really want one of those, don't get the steam deck. If you want a hybrid, weirdo portable gaming thing that lives in an open ecosystem, the Steam Deck sounds like it's already kicking rear end doing that.

I love my weirdo gaming hardware so I am pretty excited by the everything I've heard, but people are projecting things on it as a "Switch Killer" or something, and it really isn't that.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 26, 2022

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been thinking of getting a new laptop for a while, and I've been eyeing the MSI GP76 with i7-11800H, 16GB RAM, and an RTX 3070. It seems to have kind of low-ish RAM, but it can be upgraded.

There's currently a deal on for $2000USD, which from what I can tell seems to be an absolute steal for a 3070. Should I pull the trigger?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Steam Deck does seem like a neat device, but for me it will just collect dust since I'm more likely to just take out my phone or use my laptop if I have the urge to game.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I've been thinking of getting a new laptop for a while, and I've been eyeing the MSI GP76 with i7-11800H, 16GB RAM, and an RTX 3070. It seems to have kind of low-ish RAM, but it can be upgraded.

There's currently a deal on for $2000USD, which from what I can tell seems to be an absolute steal for a 3070. Should I pull the trigger?

No.

Get this instead:

https://slickdeals.net/f/15635875-l...h?src=frontpage

16GB is fine for a gaming laptop. The MSI runs really hot and is kind of mediocre in terms of build quality. Legion is one of the best high performance laptops out there, and in this case is $400 less, and you can tweak a few things if you'd like. There are other 3070 options too that are better bets than a MSI at that price range.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have been extremely pleased with my Asus G513, way more so than my old MSI machine.

If you're willing to spend up to 2000USD you can snag an all-AMD system for $1650
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...&ref=NS&loc=101

The 3070 equipped variants seem to run around $1800.

I've never been hands on with the newest Lenovo posted above but that also looks like a much better deal. One of the things I like the most about my Asus is the robust cooling system and relatively quiet fans. When they do run, it's more of a whoosh sounds instead of a high pitched hair dryer sound. Also has the best laptop speakers of any of the 7 laptops I've owned.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For the 3070 the Asus has a lower TDP, I think, which keeps it cooler and the battery lasts longer at the expense of performance. Asus generally has a little better fan/cooling situation, though the Legion is close. The G15 usually feels a little tighter and nicer, which would make me feel better about moving around with it. If its just going to live on a desk the Legion is probably better (especially if you can keep it on a cooling pad) but if you're really going portable with it the G15 is probably worth the extra money.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Speaking of the Asus G15, upgrading the RAM isn't a problem at all right?

Circumstances conspired and I need to grab a laptop to have by this Friday. I've seen BestBuy seems to have this 3070 16gb one pretty consistently in stock for in-store pickup. Spec wise from my amateur eye it looks solid, other than the RAM? But if I can just add more later?
It's otherwise not qualitatively different right? Like I'm not gonna find the model with less RAM is also gimped in other ways?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Koramei posted:

Speaking of the Asus G15, upgrading the RAM isn't a problem at all right?

Circumstances conspired and I need to grab a laptop to have by this Friday. I've seen BestBuy seems to have this 3070 16gb one pretty consistently in stock for in-store pickup. Spec wise from my amateur eye it looks solid, other than the RAM? But if I can just add more later?
It's otherwise not qualitatively different right? Like I'm not gonna find the model with less RAM is also gimped in other ways?

Yes, that is the G15. There are a couple flavors of it.

There is an open DIMM slot (I am pretty sure) and the other 16GB is soldered on. So yeah, that's a nice laptop at a nice price. What is your use case for more RAM? If you are gaming/browsing very, very few games will have any benefit from 32GB vs 16GB. Chrome will suck up as much RAM as you have but over 16GB it's basically compiling javascript from a site you visited 4 months ago so it's not like you'll actually notice any of the extra ram it's gobbling.

The G14 is also frequently available if you are looking at a smaller, slightly less powerful laptop that is easier to move around and generally has better battery life. That is what I use and I absolutely love it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It'll be used for 3d design and video editing; gaming is really secondary. Sorry, shoulda mentioned that. My desktop has 64gb and... to be fair it usually is overkill but there's a couple of times I've been glad of it, so 16 has me a little nervous.

I was considering the G14, I saw the new model for that is out right, whereas this G15 is last year's? (and honestly the white by itself is pretty appealing) But the extra screen space is pretty helpful, and it'll basically always be plugged in anyway. Portability might be helpful though like you say, I guess it won't hurt for me to check out the store displays if they're there.

e: Which RAM would be compatible with it, does anyone know? I saw someone mention this but RAM compatibility has always really confused me: https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct32g4sfd832a
People have also mentioned switching out the stock wifi card with an intel one?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 1, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ah, ok that makes sense. Yeah you can step the G15 up to 32GB pretty easily, G14 is a bit harder since it's a 8(replaceable) + 8(soldered) so you're kinda stuck with that 8GB DIMM. There are new G14s and G15s coming but the G14 is sparse in the wild and I don't think I've seen the G15 at all yet. Both will also be a lot more expensive. The 2021 models are both probably better deals for the money right now.

G15 is also very nice laptop for moving around, better than the legion (which I also like) or HPs. Given your use case, as much as I love my G14, the G15 might be a better bet especially if you'll use the 3070 doing design work.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That AMD Advantage Asus I linked just yesterday is now $1500 (150 dollars lower) at Best Buy.

That discount right there buys you 32GB of ram.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 1, 2022

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Lockback posted:

Ah, ok that makes sense. Yeah you can step the G15 up to 32GB pretty easily, G14 is a bit harder since it's a 8(replaceable) + 8(soldered) so you're kinda stuck with that 8GB DIMM. There are new G14s and G15s coming but the G14 is sparse in the wild and I don't think I've seen the G15 at all yet. Both will also be a lot more expensive. The 2021 models are both probably better deals for the money right now.

G15 is also very nice laptop for moving around, better than the legion (which I also like) or HPs. Given your use case, as much as I love my G14, the G15 might be a better bet especially if you'll use the 3070 doing design work.

It depends on the SKU, my G14 has 16 soldered.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Electronaut posted:

It depends on the SKU, my G14 has 16 soldered.

Oh really? poo poo, yeah make sure you double check.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Got my Asus Zephyrus G14 today. Matte screens are bad. They are hazy. Please stop making laptops (which at least makes some sense unlike monitors) with it. Thank you.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 3, 2022

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Counterpoint matte screens are good because glare is murder on my eyes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CFox posted:

Counterpoint matte screens are good because glare is murder on my eyes.

matte screens 4 lyfe :hf:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

matte screens 4 lyfe :hf:
this

i made the mistake of buying a shaving mirror once. never again

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I know there's been a narrative in the last year or two about how PC parts are more expensive because crypto dorks keep buying them up, but how about laptop prices and availability? Wife's netbook suddenly won't turn on and makes a faint rhythmic clicking sound anytime the battery is connected (took the casing off and the battery out to confirm), so we might be looking at a replacement pretty soon.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

C-Euro posted:

I know there's been a narrative in the last year or two about how PC parts are more expensive because crypto dorks keep buying them up, but how about laptop prices and availability? Wife's netbook suddenly won't turn on and makes a faint rhythmic clicking sound anytime the battery is connected (took the casing off and the battery out to confirm), so we might be looking at a replacement pretty soon.

Everything is more expensive due to ongoing global supply chain problems, but laptops don't have it nearly as bad as desktop GPUs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Laptops are less affected by crypto dorks, especially those not equipped with high-end GPUs, but at the same time they are in huge demand by businesses because of the combination of COVID-era working from home and Windows 11's significantly increased CPU baseline.

Until the Windows 11 requirements were announced I happily deployed refurbished Skylake machines for most of my clients because for the most part they weren't even running in to performance limits on their previous Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge era gear, but suddenly anything prior to Coffee Lake has an expiration date when Windows 10 goes EoL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The demand is higher, but it's also coincided with an improvement in quality in the consumer space since 2018/2019 which have generally raised prices by squeezing out the low end considerably. I'd say the global supply crunch has increased prices in laptops more like 15% or so, vs the 100+% in the GPU market.

If you have a budget and some use-cases (gaming, portability, big screen, etc) in mind we can probably shoot you some recommendations.