Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FutureCop posted:

That's when I inspected the party member stats for the first time ever and I noticed that all of us were right on the ilvl requirement: 340. After this run, I was checking party members out for other runs, the more typical faster runs, and people were more around 400-500 ilvl range with only me being in the 340 ilvl. Again, I felt bad: here I thought the fights were a well-balanced challenge and I thought nerfs were unnecessary, but now after seeing how spongy and hard-hitting they are for people on-level, I'm not so sure anymore. But maybe this is part of the intended experience? Not to expect it to be balanced at the required ilvl, but to overlevel the difficulty, or to get carried? I just don't know: there could be other factors in play, like how I was a support paladin for the slower run so I wasn't contributing the needed DPS, or maybe the other party members were just bad DPS? Because of the ability to let people of all sorts of gear levels come in and the unclear way on how to measure oneself, now I have this paranoia on whether I'm playing effectively or not: I'm pretty sure I'm doing as best as I can, but sometimes it just feels so confusing.
If it's "only" 400-500 ilvl then it's far more likely the slow group had people with poor uptime, incorrect stats, no second engraving from their stone, an inefficient build, didn't use their skills in the correct order, etc. The 340 abyss flies by with 340 ilvl people if they know what they're doing.

If you're looking to improve and actively seeking out info it's highly likely you're not the problem. As long as you're getting some abilities in, not kissing the floor, and not wiping the group 10x in a row you're probably doing great.

A slow clear beats a no-clear any day, and when people are pugging they're mostly glad the other people aren't jerks and it looks like the dungeon will be completed. Having a support is usually a plus too.

If someone with >800 ilvl joins then they will do a ton of damage. Carrying through older content is definitely a thing in Lost Ark & so is just waiting until you have higher ilvl if something is frustrating you. Although you can't really out ilvl the latest content so this type of thing only matters when you're on the road to endgame or doing content below endgame for drops/etc.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kaedric posted:

I was randomed into a group with someone who was 1k+ gearscore, and had a single engraving at 1st bubble (5 pips), and that's it, and I think it was grudge.

The main difference between me and that pubbie is I put my class engravings in the slots.

The game right now is designed to produce bad players because the only goals that matter are getting to T3 and doing the horizontal account-wide content, neither of which require having a good build. You don't have to do any GRs (except maybe the first quest one?) in order to progress. You don't have to get better accessories or learn a bunch of engravings, they don't matter until content that we do not have yet. This period of time is meant to be for leveling your roster and playing through the horizontal stuff they've made. Those islands are loaded with upgrade mats for a reason.

Believing that they're going to nerf legion raids is extremely funny because guess what? They already have in korea multiple times. You can also get a couple of power passes for free in the KR version that give you 2 free T3 characters at 1300, along with a buff that gives you 40% reduced damage taken and 20% increased damage dealt until you're north of 1400 ilvl. This game is already not designed to be as hard at the low end as people seem to think it will be. The game director apologized for how bad t1/2 content was, that's why you can get to rohendel in a day and into t3 in under a week with a lot of sweaty play. This is not the part of the game they're proud of because this part of the game almost killed it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The game right now is designed to produce bad players because the only goals that matter are getting to T3 and doing the horizontal account-wide content, neither of which require having a good build. You don't have to do any GRs (except maybe the first quest one?) in order to progress. You don't have to get better accessories or learn a bunch of engravings, they don't matter until content that we do not have yet. This period of time is meant to be for leveling your roster and playing through the horizontal stuff they've made. Those islands are loaded with upgrade mats for a reason.
The secret of lost ark is you're already at the endgame when you hit 50. When you hit t3 you have a few tasks you can do sometimes, but for the most part you're going to do the same stuff you did before t3.

The hybrid horizontal+vertical design is really cool, and I always get a little confused when people hyper-focus on the vertical part. I mean yes, you should do the stuff that progresses you vertically, but by design you run out of that pretty quickly on any given day and have other stuff you can work on. The horizontal part is a massive part of your character's power once you hit the soft cap.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 2, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'm almost into t2 and I definitely feel it's time for alts and benefitting from the horizontal. Just need to finish the 2nd awakening.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Yeah, I really wanted to enjoy LAO's senseless cargo cult take on the popularized gimmicks the direction team naively borrowed from the isometric hack 'n slash games their older siblings used to play. It's just a shame the dev budget ran out right after modeling such a beautiful static world to play in which is then never reused again past the atrocious main story line, and instead the players are left with repeating the mindless runs of the claustrophobic single-room D3 rifts and whacking at children's book caricatures of MH monsters with mechanics that will make a seasoned design team resign in dishonor.

The facade of fetishes is the name of this game's direction. There's nothing in it more deeply thought through than a recollection of some vague concept in the last decade of gaming or some pop culture high fantasy lore. Like take the staple filler MMO activities like player housing that has so much room, heh, for creativity and customization, but no it caters solely to some weird harem fantasy with one single garish island to plop down a fountain on and invite all NPCs love interests wooed via the tacked-on gift-grifting system for a feast/party. Mundane are the achievements, collectables, and gathering that all also fall under the pursuit of similarly senseless rewards - some useless charisma stat poison or the necessary kind of health poison that differs from the regular kind that's sold at vendor... with everything boiling down to the "go to this spot on the map and hit G repeatedly until your bot-prevention gathering energy or your will to play any game runs out".

Past all the disjointed performative window dressing hastily glued on top by the similarly siloed collective that seems to make up Smilegate, at its core this game's a myriad of time-honed gambling and loot crate paradigms aimed at filtering out the dedicated whales willing to drop hundreds of dollars on chance boosting items to make any visible progress through the singular sisyphean journey of gachaing the curved remainder of the statistical 100 honing failures to the latest tier gear, T3/1100 or whatever it may be at the moment. With how long this game's been out and playable with production ready assets making profit on the real money store, any insistence post its international launch that anyone can reach a higher tier of gear within a few months just by ardently shoveling rat poo poo aboard Peyto while simultaneously being disallowed to partake in the full extent of pretty princess dressup is simply criminal.

Whatever the authorial intent is, I like the message. The game is a grind. Nothing can escape that unless you are playing in a very unique/casual/unintentional way or spend a lot of money.

This game is not for everyone, and as long as you are not sacrificing your net worth, well-being, or personal responsibilities, just play until you stop having fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man i'm a loving stupid rear end. I wanted the 50 Una's daily tokens from the store so I put $20 in to buy crystals before realizing I can't buy it with crystals. After converting to gold then to gems I'm still short the amount I need for the pack of 50. It's too early for this :sigh:

Edit: I know how I can fix this... spending more money!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 2, 2022

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

explosivo posted:

Man i'm a loving stupid rear end. I wanted the 50 Una's daily tokens from the store so I put $20 in to buy crystals before realizing I can't buy it with crystals. After converting to gold then to gems I'm still short the amount I need for the pack of 50. It's too early for this :sigh:

Edit: I know how I can fix this... spending more money!

Did you buy the 11 dollar 1-50 pack for 2600 blue crystals? Because that's a way..way better deal than whatever you just did.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That’s what I bought when I hit the 50 hour mark. That’s good value, but buying directly is some bullshit

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I sure didn't do that. I foolishly thought I could just buy the thing I wanted if I bought the crystals.

Edit: I just looked that bundle up and lmao :suicide:

Edit 2: Just gonna buy that too now who's the dummy :smug:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 2, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seems like gold inflation really picked up. On Sunday it was 500g for crystals now it’s 900g for crystals. I think it was roughly 300g ~2 weeks ago

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

jokes posted:

Seems like gold inflation really picked up. On Sunday it was 500g for crystals now it’s 900g for crystals. I think it was roughly 300g ~2 weeks ago

On RU servers that are like two years old, it’s ~1100g. So our economy is definitely quite a bit different due to player numbers or ratio of whales:players or something. Possibly the shitloads of bots and players buying gold for a lot cheaper from third parties than using the ingame store, which I expect will be addressed soon since it’s gotta be hurting their revenue a lot.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 2, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
If I want to buy some Estoque blueprints for upgrade, are Gienah coins the only way to acquire them? And how do I go about obtaining these aside from chests that I don't want to use right now?

Is the game expecting you to exchange Pirate coins for Gienah?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

kliras posted:

If I want to buy some Estoque blueprints for upgrade, are Gienah coins the only way to acquire them? And how do I go about obtaining these aside from chests that I don't want to use right now?

Look for co-op sailing events in your alarm and calendar. They reward gienah coins at minimum and can also give you pirate coins. There are other stuff that'll give you the coins as well, but I just can't name them off the top of my head. I'm also pretty sure the island quests can give you some as well. I currently have a literal boatload of blueprints tied up in something like 75 chests (each chest giving 5 blue prints). I forget what combination of stuff I did for that to happen but I think it partly came with today's daily. And then I hit some milestone as well it seemed.

Edit: oh yeah, another chest set was from finishing the challenge on getting 5 island souls turned in. That was where the remainder came from.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

kliras posted:

Just open the chests, the Gienah coins are more valuable than the contents of the chest, that's why they gave you the chests.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

You also want something like 7300 Gieneh coins for giant hearts and ship blueprint chests have many sources so I would keep that in mind.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
You'll need 17,320 Gienah's Coins to buy the most valuable collectibles from that currency.

Two Giant's Hearts, two emotes, and a song.

The Giant's Hearts are at Blackfang and Freedom Isle, the two emotes are also at Freedom Isle, and the song is at Starlight Isle after finishing the quest.

Additionally, there's a bunch of maps and masterpieces that can be purchased but those are much lower priority IMO.

https://lostarkcodex.com/us/item/58000146/

Got to the Used to Buy tab and sort by most expensive to calculate how much you'll need for what you want.

If you just need coins, convert the chests into Sun Coins instead of Gienah Coins because those trade for 20 instead of 10. Either way, I believe you'll need to farm a ton of coins eventually once the chests run dry.

A good place currently to dump pirate coins weekly is on Atlas Island. There's a merchant that randomly spawns that sells 3x blue class engraving chests for 2000 coins weekly which if you pick a popular class's popular build can sell for a lot of gold. Paladin, sorceress, bard, and berserker class engraving tomes tend to go for a lot on the marketboard.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Save enough coin boxes to get 8k sun coins for a star. It's much easier to get gineah than sun from playing imo. Getting two stars asap gives you a greater skill potion, and the stars are very longterm goals with no other super easy ones. If you don't save the boxes for 8k sun you're going to be waiting on more boxes from events or hoping a star drops from a once per day boss on an island near punika. You're going to be killing that boss anyway so it's not a huge deal, but the drop rate isn't great for the star.

I wouldn't convert to pirate coins unless you have all the collectibles. Lots of rep and welcome book stuff gives pirate coins.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 2, 2022

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
After spending about 3 hours in alaric's sanctuary wiping in multiple matchmaking groups I only have one thing to say. I hate stagger checks and people cannot do stagger checks in this game. The same problem I had in hildebrandt palace and same problem here. Everything about the fights were great. But once it came down to stagger checks parties just wipe over and over again. They need some kind of tutorial to teach people how to stagger. Or make it much more lenient because the average player can't seem to break shields fast enough ever. I'm doing everything I can. I've been throwing whirlwind grenades, popping my ignition, using my highest stagger skills, even putting in overwhelm runes. Nothing. All I can do is sit and watch it take too long.

Outside of stagger checks everything in this game can be taught and learned. This is placing a hard gear check into the fight instead of mechanics or skill. You just have to overgear it enough that you can break it.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I recommend using Find Party rather than matchmaking

People there are much more likely to communicate, do mechanics, and use items

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I believe stagger is completely independent of the damage you do. All that matters is pressing the right skills.

A lot of players are just following guides blindly without realizing that a lot of them are generic all-rounder guides. The reason you have so many potential skill sets is to be able to conveniently swap between hotbar setups so that you can swap in additional stagger abilities if the fight calls for it.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

I believe stagger is completely independent of the damage you do. All that matters is pressing the right skills.

A lot of players are just following guides blindly without realizing that a lot of them are generic all-rounder guides. The reason you have so many potential skill sets is to be able to conveniently swap between hotbar setups so that you can swap in additional stagger abilities if the fight calls for it.

Or play scrapper

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah myself and a friend fought the pheonix bird guy last night and despite saying to our teammates "we need to stagger when it's charging" my friend and I were the only ones hitting it every time because everyone else ran away when it happened. The last stagger before we beat it they finally figured it out and the boss died like a second later.

rap music posted:

I recommend using Find Party rather than matchmaking
You can't use the party finder if you're already in a group. Which is a shame, because as it is I'd have to kick my friend out of my party and tell him to request to join the same party and hope we both get in. Matchmaking at least allows us as a half of a group to quickly get into a dungeon with two others. We could do the opposite, make a group and wait for applicants, but it's still not as fast as matchmaking.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Dynamite Dog posted:

Or play scrapper

That's exactly what I play and its great. I don't need to swap anything out for stagger checks cause my basic rotation already has a ton of high stagger. I rolled a bard alt and realized that having mid-high stagger or even low stagger on nearly every attack is class by class thing.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Hyper Inferno posted:

That makes things worse. It means there is no way to just overgear the content and hope it makes up for bad teammates. I guess I will give party finder a try. Not sure if that will change anything but I'll see.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

party finder for me has mostly been
"You know mechs?"
"yeah"
*instantly dies to mechs*

but generally it has led to more successes when I'm alone than trying to matchmake.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

explosivo posted:

We could do the opposite, make a group and wait for applicants, but it's still not as fast as matchmaking.

It’s faster than wiping repeatedly

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

Party finder experience! Get into dungeon, people yelling about lack of supports. Wipe on shark siren fight. Party disbands in anger/frustration.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Party finder is as much of a diceroll as matchmaking. It might just be EU Central but party finder is already full of so many requests for carries, people selling runs or demanding way above the required ilvl for anything that even getting into a party is a challenge in itself.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Hyper Inferno posted:

That's exactly what I play and its great. I don't need to swap anything out for stagger checks cause my basic rotation already has a ton of high stagger. I rolled a bard alt and realized that having mid-high stagger or even low stagger on nearly every attack is class by class thing.

There’s an abyss boss later that goes into wipe everyone mode if he gets staggered too much ha ha

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Dynamite Dog posted:

Or play scrapper

Or Berserker.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

There’s an abyss boss later that goes into wipe everyone mode if he gets staggered too much ha ha

I thought of saying this as a joke but didn't realize it was a real mechanic.

That may be a problem, but we'll see!

admanb posted:

Or Berserker.

Berserker may be what I do next now

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
So whats the 411 on gunlancer specs? My gut tells me that combat readiness gunlancer is throwing because lone knight gets the same utility with more damage. Is there some mechanic later that requires a tanky boy?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there an easy explanation of engravings and gems? I never paid attention to those tutorials

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

jokes posted:

Is there an easy explanation of engravings and gems? I never paid attention to those tutorials

Engravings give bonuses/negatives when you reach 5, 10, 15 thresholds. These come mainly from accessories and stones. You can also learn and equip 2 engravings on your character. Even the same one! You learn these from books. You need to read 20 of the same colour before you can use it. Green ones give +3, blues +6, purple +9, and yellow +12. Generally you want to put your class engravings in because they are the most powerful and change your playstyle.

Gems get unlocked in T2 and you basically get either +damage or -cooldown on a random skill. You can combine 3 of the same tier to upgrade a tier. You can also reroll a gem into a different effect/skill at the npc. You can slot in 11 gems in total.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

admanb posted:

Or Berserker.
yes, I play berserker and finish strike + tempest does more stagger than certain classes. On top of that, hell blade does a ton of stagger & so does my awakening & so does my ult. And my other abilities are mostly medium stagger except for like 2.

I did 34% of the group's stagger in the t2 8 mans this week. I only really save finish strike+tempest when a stagger is coming and just go off of what's off cooldown for the rest of it on most encounters. If it's really, really soon I'll save ult, but if it's 15s+ away I'll just use it as mayhem berserker.

I do save awakening for the final stagger check & bring consumables, but I try to avoid using consumables especially on the first check in a 2-3 check fight. I'd much rather see we can do a stagger check without that and then use them to cover for mistakes later.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 3, 2022

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
For engravings, many guides also talk about what is used by endgame players and assume you can get level 3 (15 nodes) for the engraving. This is really important as some of the most commonly used ones carry significant downsides that aren't buoyed by their benefits until you hit level 3 for them.

A really common one is Grudge. At level 3, you deal and take 20% more damage to/from bosses. But at level 1, it's only a 4% increase in damage dealt but still has the same 20% damage taken penalty.

Contrast to something a lot simpler like Master of Ambush which is 5% to 25% extra damage on back attacks with no extra penalty.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

One further question on engravings - I only have the one character currently. Are the generic engraving unlocks account-wide or per character?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Engravings are account wide. Both the generic ones and the class ones.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Hyper Inferno posted:

Contrast to something a lot simpler like Master of Ambush which is 5% to 25% extra damage on back attacks with no extra penalty.
In T1/T2/current T3 use whatever you can get and don't stress about it. If you are clearing abyss, getting + to your class engraving on accessories with the right main stat is kinda all you really need. Picking up a second +5 to something offensive from your stone is nice, but try to avoid the ones with big drawbacks (grudge/increased mass/keen blunt weapon in particular).

SkyeAuroline posted:

One further question on engravings - I only have the one character currently. Are the generic engraving unlocks account-wide or per character?
Account wide. Sell anything green & blue from random boxes & that you find as drops that goes for 30g+ because you get enough unlock books for green/blue from just playing the game. It's only at purple and higher that you need to start to worrying about keeping sellable books, but even then there's some argument that selling now and buying later is possibly better on the real expensive ones. For example, I sold awakening purple book at 1.5k gold yesterday.

also keep the boxes that let you pick a specific green or blue book. Those are useful. Use them to get 20x green & 20x blue for your class engraving and save the non-class ones for later because you can equip 2x class engraving and it's the simplest way to go for most classes until way later.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

So whats the 411 on gunlancer specs? My gut tells me that combat readiness gunlancer is throwing because lone knight gets the same utility with more damage. Is there some mechanic later that requires a tanky boy?

Lone Knight
+ great damage, one of the best stagger capabilities in the game, great utility, second most durable class in the game after Combat Readiness Gunlancer
- miserable mobility, hard-to-hit skills (almost every skill you use is some variation of long, narrow melee cone that locks you into a pretty slow animation), most of your skills do extra damage when hitting the front of the boss which means you kinda have to facetank for optimal performance, while not being nearly as good at facetanking as Combat Readiness Gunlancer, so you have to actually learn boss mechanics, learn to dodge, learn to manage your shield meter and turn it on and off as situation demands, etc...

Combat Readiness
+ solid damage, still great stagger capabilities, great utility, great mobility, most durable class in the game, easy-to-hit skills
- lower damage and stagger than Lone Knight Gunlancer and you don't actually learn boss mechanics because you just kinda pop shield and then pretty much roll your face on the keyboard in front of the boss until it dies, ignoring 95% of thing it does. :v:

You will run taunt, AoE Shield and Bash with defense reduction Tripod on both specs, so their utility is more or less the same. IIRC in Korea, Combat Readiness is vastly preferred, because the bosses will get a lot harder to hit due to their mobility and mechanics and Lone Knight Gunlancer will begin to struggle to actually land their skills on them, so Combat Readiness will also do more damage and stagger in practice, but I think the Western release is not at that point yet, so they are more or less equal for current content.