Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Interesting thread.https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1499164245250002944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Syrian Lannister posted:

ExxonMobil also pulling out now.

maybe they can have Putin arrested in New York

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

My ordnance corps wheeled vehicle mechanic heart thanks you.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

That picture gave me anxiety from what the hell could have caused that. The HUNDREDS of hours I spent loving with and repairing CTIS systems and changing the filters retroactively makes me feel better, somehow.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I learned a bit there.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Twitter thread is betting on dry rot. Truck sits for an eternity, rubber rots from not moving. Then it's pressed into service and chews the tires to pieces as they leak all your air.

CTIS is such a pain in the rear end, but it's worth having.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The lesson is don't get into a land war in Asia

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

M_Gargantua posted:

or even on the borders of asia

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

M_Gargantua posted:

For decades the lesson will be (western tbqfh) officers and instructors saying keep your poo poo maintained and having a recent example to point rather explicitly to

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

To be fair to Russia, they have no historical basis for understanding how adverse weather could affect an invading army.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Churchill posted:

For decades the lesson will be (western tbqfh) officers and instructors saying keep your poo poo maintained and having a recent example to point rather explicitly to

I've seen one article by a US defense official speculating that this may be a big part of why the Eternal Convoy has been halted for days now. On top of fuel and food and terrain, it's entirely possible that many vehicles in the convoy just... broke.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

M_Gargantua posted:

Vizzini warned us, man. The Dread Pirate Biden will have to tiptoe gingerly through some precarious situations to save Princess Ukrainian Buttercup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Raputista strikes again, although instead of trapping German horses and trucks, its trapping Russian tanks and APCs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Terrifying Effigies posted:

With the caveat of Covid, it looks like Russia has on average about 9-10 million domestic airline passengers a month in 2021.

Looks like those passengers are going to have to catch a train instead.

https://twitter.com/janedvidek/status/1498723248183382020

I've taken an overnight train from St. Pete to Moscow once and it was pretty bleak, rattling late Soviet train cars and multiple stops in the absolute middle of nowhere with just featureless snow and pitch black pines.

Somebody at Irkut (or whatever the successor to Ilyushin is called), Tupolev, and/or Sukhoi is hoping they're about to get PAID once Russia has to go back to buying their own airplanes because no one else will sell them theirs.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Look who skipped motor pool Monday lmao

Holy poo poo, this is the funniest thing I've seen all week.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

In hindsight I probably should have realized that military trucks had some way to keep their tires inflated.

Wikipedia posted:

CTIS was first used in production on the American DUKW amphibious truck, which was introduced in 1942.

Neat!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

can a Pantsir reach a TU bomber?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Random question: does CTIS also function as onboard air? Like, is there a 1/4" Quick coupler or 3/4" chicago fitting so you can hook up air tools and effect repairs easier?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cythereal posted:

Most plausible explanation I've heard is that they're shooting at ships they think are bringing aid supplies to Ukraine without checking their nationality first.

Though at least one of the ships hit previously was apparently hit by an unguided rocket that went astray while the Russians were firing batteries at some coastal position.

These ships are sailing around with transponders that send out their nationality (it’s the first three digits of the MMSI) ever 20 seconds or so.

The Russians don’t care, they’re just shooting. And the flag states don’t care because for the most part none of their citizens are onboard and the owners aren’t based in the country.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In hindsight I probably should have realized that military trucks had some way to keep their tires inflated.

Neat!

The humvee solution was stuffing a rubber donut inside the tire before mounting it to the wheel. It was more work than you'd think.

But humvees didn't typically come with an air system because hydraulic brakes generally could handle it.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 3, 2022

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lollin at the reply that "it's more likely those blown tires were planted by The Russians to deliberately throw off analysts"

very powerful C-Spam energy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

lollin at the reply that "it's more likely those blown tires were planted by The Russians to deliberately throw off analysts"

lmao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Cause abandoning air defense assets is a smart move when you're eating drone strikes.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Arrath posted:

Random question: does CTIS also function as onboard air? Like, is there a 1/4" Quick coupler or 3/4" chicago fitting so you can hook up air tools and effect repairs easier?
Probably not and I don't think any of our trucks have something like this. You'd want bare minimum 80 psi to do anything with air tools and CTIS systems on most trucks don't generate that kind of pressure. More importantly, they aren't intended to be run at a high duty cycle like that except in an emergency (that is, they should only need to periodically pump more air in, not be constantly pumping air).

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Pantsir, more like Pantsed-ir

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

Probably not and I don't think any of our trucks have something like this. You'd want bare minimum 80 psi to do anything with air tools and CTIS systems on most trucks don't generate that kind of pressure. More importantly, they aren't intended to be run at a high duty cycle like that except in an emergency (that is, they should only need to periodically pump more air in, not be constantly pumping air).

I figured that was the case, thanks! I was just curious since my experience in operating heavy equipment with beefy air compressors (250-500psi) was that adding a qc line for air tools was a godsend when working on the pieces of poo poo.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 3, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arrath posted:

You can make a gladhand connector to run off truck air that you'd attach to your trailer air connections. If a truck has CTIS, it has an engine driven air compressor, usually geared behind the timing cover so it doesn't stop compressing air if a belt snaps.

Air is pretty important on anything heavy. Anything heavy and diesel will have a compressor built in except gensets.

CTIS pulls from the same air supply as the brakes, it's just routed to a different tank. You'd want to run off the air brakes line for any air tools to be effective, and it won't be for long.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Elviscat posted:

To be fair to Russia, they have no historical basis for understanding how adverse weather could affect an invading army.

*cries in Finnish

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Time for another goon crowdfunding project: https://twitter.com/YourAnonNews/status/1499131249599950848?s=20&t=Yz05T3HmDGKcXthHJO0m1Q

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we gonna sell hot dogs out of it?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

It fires hot dogs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shaddak posted:

It fires hot dogs.

If something hits it, it becomes a hot dog. Reminder that T-72s and T-90s have a carousel autoloader around the entire bottom of the turret and loves to brew up when hit.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That thread has some interesting replies.

https://twitter.com/KarlMuth/status/1499185800172474371

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1499196615411871749

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You can make a gladhand connector to run off truck air that you'd attach to your trailer air connections. If a truck has CTIS, it has an engine driven air compressor, usually geared behind the timing cover so it doesn't stop compressing air if a belt snaps.

Air is pretty important on anything heavy. Anything heavy and diesel will have a compressor built in except gensets.

CTIS pulls from the same air supply as the brakes, it's just routed to a different tank. You'd want to run off the air brakes line for any air tools to be effective, and it won't be for long.
poo poo, I take it back. I kind of wish I had a truck to try this with now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol an expert for everything.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Twitter is really great because in between just the smoothest brained motherfuckers is something who is like "ah, yes, I have the exact knowledge for this very specific situation"

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

i mean...are we sure any of the stuff they have there is useable? just make them drive it a couple blocks and see what's still running.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

Twitter is really great because in between just the smoothest brained motherfuckers is something who is like "ah, yes, I have the exact knowledge for this very specific situation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Erm... this doesn't seem good. Can a bigger brain person please explain possible implications?