Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it’s not a huge bummer cause the game is pretty fun but I’d be lying if i said it wasn’t a little vague on stuff. Maybe that’s just a non-Dark Souls From things because Bloodborne is almost deliberately vague with the premise of “just go out and kill a few beasts, it’s for your own good really” with the actual lore of how the Yharnumites went into chalice dungeons and started drinking Cthulhu monster blood they found and it did Weird poo poo flying over my head.

Edit: we’ll that explains things pretty well, guess I’m dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue
I'm playing through Horizon Zero Dawn and I made it about 5 hours into it before i just downloaded a trainer for it and set my medicine bag to always full and to have infinite ammo.

I'm enjoying the game a lot more now since it removed the majority of the crafting and plant collecting

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
For all the things Witcher 3 does well, the guy who does the story recap each time you launch the game is so :geno:. He’s not terrible but I can’t say it’s a spirited performance.

Also just let me pick up plants. Why does it open another menu that I have to also click through.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Mar 3, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought it was supposed to be deliberately calm and subdued, like it was Old Man Dandelion trying to sound regal or whatever, but that’s just me.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

moosecow333 posted:

For all the things Witcher 3 does well, the guy who does the story recap each time you launch the game is so :geno:. He’s not terrible but I can’t say it’s a spirited performance.

Also just let me pick up plants. Why does it open another menu that I have to also click through.

Say what you will about the HZD crafting system, at least Aloy just picks up the plant when prompted.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Why do all of these blacksmiths have the ability to pull from the graveyard in Gwent? I’ve lost 4 games now because they get to cheat 6 extra power onto the field.

In a game where you don’t draw cards that’s so powerful and annoying to lose against.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the premise is basically kill 6 billion demons

queen marika, who was essentially the earthy representative of god (or the "supreme will") one day chose to divide the elden ring, the symbol of her divine power, among her descendants. said descendants almost immediately went to war, as lovely relatives do, and the battle was so bloody that god went "i'm not cleaning this mess up" and abandoned the world, which led to the shattering, a state where time, space, life and death are all knotted up. the tarnished are acolytes guided by god's lingering grace to reclaim the elden ring and repair the world. in typical souls fashion, the "main" quest isn't that simple

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Philippe posted:

I've never had a single iota of patience for "git gud". If you're gonna give advice for how to play well, be more specific.

The whole thing started because when Dark Souls first came out (I don't remember this so much with Demon's) you'd have a ton of people coming into Dark Souls discussion spaces with posts like "How the gently caress do I [beat thing], this is literally impossible, the developers should be drawn and quartered, anyone who claims you can dodge the fart attack is a liar etc.". Oftentimes any attempt to give these people advice would just result in more ranting and abuse, so instead people just started saying "play the game better lol".

You definitely had a period where the a significant portion fanbase was pretty poo poo and had people saying it unironically, but the whole legion of Dark Souls gatekeepers saying "git gud" in earnest seems like mostly an imagined foe at this point. I can't remember the last time I've seen someone expressing that vs. the overwhelming crowd of people repudiating it. But I don't hang out on r/darksoulselitepvp or whatever so maybe I'm just missing it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

and honestly, though it's loving frustrating to hear when you're playing your first Souls game and bouncing off an apparently impossible boss over and over, "git gud" is actually decent advice. Once you understand how these games work everything becomes a lot more manageable.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

eddoghetto posted:

I'm playing through Horizon Zero Dawn and I made it about 5 hours into it before i just downloaded a trainer for it and set my medicine bag to always full and to have infinite ammo.

I'm enjoying the game a lot more now since it removed the majority of the crafting and plant collecting

I played it on Story Mode or whatever it is. I dont enjoy a bullet sponge filled mechamonster slog, and that mode is like easy easy mode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In HZD I like the idea behind telling you what various resources are used for but the categories are so vague that it ends up being fairly useless. "Tradeable with merchants" could mean anything from a once-off thing to a reward that isn't available until NG+ to a useless repeatable box and more.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

The Moon Monster posted:

The whole thing started because when Dark Souls first came out (I don't remember this so much with Demon's) you'd have a ton of people coming into Dark Souls discussion spaces with posts like "How the gently caress do I [beat thing], this is literally impossible, the developers should be drawn and quartered, anyone who claims you can dodge the fart attack is a liar etc.". Oftentimes any attempt to give these people advice would just result in more ranting and abuse, so instead people just started saying "play the game better lol".

You definitely had a period where the a significant portion fanbase was pretty poo poo and had people saying it unironically, but the whole legion of Dark Souls gatekeepers saying "git gud" in earnest seems like mostly an imagined foe at this point. I can't remember the last time I've seen someone expressing that vs. the overwhelming crowd of people repudiating it. But I don't hang out on r/darksoulselitepvp or whatever so maybe I'm just missing it.

As the series gets increasingly popular and everyone's uncle beating FromSoft games, it becomes clear that people did, in fact, got gud.

It was sound advice.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The scarlet rot place east of the starting area is incredibly freaky. The atmosphere is unnerving. All those emaciated things with giant misshapen heads. It feels alien and wrong. I love it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Moon Monster posted:

kazil posted:

You just gotta git gud son.

Gaius Marius posted:

Mad cause bad

'git gud' (edit: even ironically) is useless advice because it applies to everything and nothing at the same time. It means nothing while belittling the person playing it. I'm a stubborn rear end who either beats a souls game through the difficulty or gets bored, and people who say 'git gud', or variations thereof, are the thing dragging the whole genre down.

Anyway some content: Aloy in HFW seems way too knowledgeable about the old world. Like, yeah, she has the focus and has been learning about it for a bit of time, but being to already know what things like multi-core processors and complex digital apparatuses are without questioning it or wondering about analogs in her world stretches belief just a little bit. It really loses that 'low-tech person discovering a wild world of ancient technology' feeling that the first game had.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Morpheus posted:

'git gud' (edit: even ironically) is useless advice because it applies to everything and nothing at the same time. It means nothing while belittling the person playing it. I'm a stubborn rear end who either beats a souls game through the difficulty or gets bored, and people who say 'git gud', or variations thereof, are the thing dragging the whole genre down.

Anyway some content: Aloy in HFW seems way too knowledgeable about the old world. Like, yeah, she has the focus and has been learning about it for a bit of time, but being to already know what things like multi-core processors and complex digital apparatuses are without questioning it or wondering about analogs in her world stretches belief just a little bit. It really loses that 'low-tech person discovering a wild world of ancient technology' feeling that the first game had.

on the contrary people who are offended by "git gud" are hilarious and deserve more "git gud" being said to them.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I think these people are low key very mad at videogames.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I think people who say things like 'git gud' are terrible at video games, since clearly they're flailing around and winning by chance and have no idea why they just succeeded.

Like someone whose financial advice is stuff like 'gotta stick to the grind' and then the reason they have money is because they got an inheritance and just paid a third party to deal with finances.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I think people who say things like 'git gud' are terrible at video games, since clearly they're flailing around and winning by chance and have no idea why they just succeeded.

Like someone whose financial advice is stuff like 'gotta stick to the grind' and then the reason they have money is because they got an inheritance and just paid a third party to deal with finances.

I too love making up a guy and then getting mad at them.

Often times success in these games isn't really reflexes and timing but just understanding how stuff like dodging works and where you should be standing/what weapon to use. This kind of stuff comes instinctively after a short while and lo and behold you're now 'gud'.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vic posted:

on the contrary people who are offended by "git gud" are hilarious and deserve more "git gud" being said to them.

if you're annoyed at me making an irritating honking noise? that's cringe

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vic posted:

I think these people are low key very mad at videogames.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Frank Frank posted:

The scarlet rot place east of the starting area is incredibly freaky. The atmosphere is unnerving. All those emaciated things with giant misshapen heads. It feels alien and wrong. I love it.

Hell yeah. Caelid and Siofra river are zones with just amazing atmosphere.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

if you're annoyed at me making an irritating honking noise? that's cringe

yeah did you check if the light's green?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Yes this analogy makes complete sense. I was born into an affluent dark souls family and was dodge rolling around in my crib.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only annoying thing about the git gud crowd is the categorical failure of many to acknowledge that a lot of dumb pointless bullshit exists in Dark Souls. But bullshit exists everywhere. I'd even argue that bullshit is, in fact, vital to the overall gaming experience as it creates community bonding and a sense of empathy for your fellow gamer stuck on whatever stupid boss with horrible collision you were trying to beat last week. A game without any bullshit would be completely unremarkable in every way.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

exquisite tea posted:

The only annoying thing about the git gud crowd is the categorical failure of many to acknowledge that a lot of dumb pointless bullshit exists in Dark Souls. But bullshit exists everywhere. I'd even argue that bullshit is, in fact, vital to the overall gaming experience as it creates community bonding and a sense of empathy for your fellow gamer stuck on whatever stupid boss with horrible collision you were trying to beat last week. A game without any bullshit would be completely unremarkable in every way.

gently caress this boss.

Nvm just beat it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I went to r/Darksouls and said "this game is bullshit and full of unfun idiot decisions" and now everyone there is telling me to gently caress off instead of offering constructive criticism about how to improve??

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Vic posted:

Yes this analogy makes complete sense. I was born into an affluent dark souls family and was dodge rolling around in my crib.

The point is the advice is meaningless.

Why does Pokemon Arceus want you to catch so many drat pokemon? Catching multiples, sure, but catching 25 of something? Or wanting you to catch 20 of something, but then wanting 25 captures at night or something.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The dumb bullshit in Dark Souls is part of why I play it, because they are consistently able to come up with new bullshit that will 100% kill you regardless of your skill level, but it has to be surprising for a Fromsoft veteran player's perspective. There's been some severe bullshit in every game that is just absurd, but still doable. You're just going to die probably once or twice to the setpiece before you get a handle on it, but it will always be hostile in a completely dishonorable way. Backstabs from behind corners, 7 Taurus demons just hanging out, invincible enemies unless you have a serious debuff, whole-room arrow traps because you touched an item, invisible enemy traps unless you have gone insane enough to see them, bosses outright giving you the "BOSS DEFEATED" message and then starting phase 2...

A whirlwind of dogs just loving murdering you from above has got to be nearing the edges of Fromsoft's imagination for stupid bullshit, so I can only imagine what else they have planned for the rest of the game :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

and honestly, though it's loving frustrating to hear when you're playing your first Souls game and bouncing off an apparently impossible boss over and over, "git gud" is actually decent advice. Once you understand how these games work everything becomes a lot more manageable.

it’s useless non-advice because it does not get anyone closer to understanding how these games work or make anything more manageable. it provides nothing actionable and thus has never once helped anyone. lol if you actually believe telling someone “have you just tried winning?” is good advice or that telling someone to do something they’re already trying to do isn’t being an insufferable prick

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I've been enjoying Sekiro once I learned that it's effectively the anti-Metal Gear Rising: a really good stealth game that sold itself as an action game.

But, fitting of an anti-Metal Gear Rising (and befitting of a lot of stealth games), it falls apart at the bosses. Minibosses are good, they're frequently in a more open area and you can take off a bunch of their health by sneak attacking them, but actual full bosses are just a slugfest that makes you realize that without a way to shortcut damage (to either health or posture) you just don't really do a lot of it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Mar 3, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The great not-so secret is just outleveling the content to the point where you can essentially faceroll through it, summoning an ally, or looking up a guide for the One Weird Trick to beat the gimmick bosses. Souls games play dirty and expect you to play dirty in return. Getting gud is largely an illusion. Streets of Rage 4 on the other hand...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've been playing Jenny LeClue: Detectivu recently which bills itself as a detective game, but it really falls apart in that sense. It has the occasional "deductive reasoning" moment where you have to mash two facts together to deduce something, but it's always limited to 5 possible options and it's very easy to figure out where it's leading you. It also has a lot of easily missed collectibles that don't give much side-information, it's just meaningless pixel-hunting in a very railroady game. There's no real puzzle aspects outside of the occasional basic-level puzzle you can find in literally any escape room, otherwise you are just walking left-to-right and interacting with dialogue options/character observations

This wouldn't be too bad, but the game is 10+ hours long with branching paths that it expects you to tackle a New Game+ mode to see. Add to that the main character is an insufferable rear end in a top hat to all of her friends and I do not think I will ever explore the alternate story beats

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
PYF Little Things Dragging This Thread Down: Post Gud

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sally posted:

PYF Little Things Dragging This Thread Down: Post Gud

Well that's just uncalled for and assholeishly vague, how the gently caress do you post gud? :argh:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Morpheus posted:

Why does Pokemon Arceus want you to catch so many drat pokemon? Catching multiples, sure, but catching 25 of something? Or wanting you to catch 20 of something, but then wanting 25 captures at night or something.

Because at some point someone convinced gamers that more=better and a game is a failure if it has less than 100 hours of gameplay, even if that gameplay is grindy bullshit

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

from my hunt teammate Justin Credible:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Often times success in these games isn't really reflexes and timing but just understanding how stuff like dodging works and where you should be standing/what weapon to use. This kind of stuff comes instinctively after a short while and lo and behold you're now 'gud'.

So say those instead of just dismissively saying "git gud".

Think about where you're positioning yourself, work on your dodging skills, try different weapons in different situations. These are all tangible things to focus on as opposed to the useless emptiness of "just don't suck, loser".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So I've been enjoying Sekiro once I learned that it's effectively the anti-Metal Gear Rising: a really good stealth game that sold itself as an action game.

But, fitting of an anti-Metal Gear Rising (and befitting of a lot of stealth games), it falls apart at the bosses. Minibosses are good, they're frequently in a more open area and you can take off a bunch of their health by sneak attacking them, but actual full bosses are just a slugfest that makes you realize that without a way to shortcut damage (to either health or posture) you just don't really do a lot of it.

sekiro’s stealth is a complete afterthought, it’s an action game through and through

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

moosecow333 posted:

Why do all of these blacksmiths have the ability to pull from the graveyard in Gwent? I’ve lost 4 games now because they get to cheat 6 extra power onto the field.

In a game where you don’t draw cards that’s so powerful and annoying to lose against.

What card's being used? Some of them have built some cheap rear end decks but they work in pretty specific ways so you can counter them. If they're playing lots of Spy cards load up Decoys so you can at least reuse them yourself and keep pace with what they're drawing. If it's the unit cards that draw similarly named cards from their deck, make sure you have some appropriate weather cards. I've noticed that these blacksmiths will either have them for one part of the playing field or the other (i.e. melee or ranged, rarely both). I was getting my rear end kicked in a bunch of smaller villages in Velen until I started retooling my deck specifically to counter individual players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

thecluckmeme posted:

Well that's just uncalled for and assholeishly vague, how the gently caress do you post gud? :argh:

:negative: i don't know!