Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

IronicDongz and Vermain posted:

armor location
Awesome, thanks! I dig the way it looks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Infinite Karma posted:

What the everloving gently caress is the Radahn fight? I have been breezing through everything this game can throw at me, but what do you even do against a guy who can cross the maximum distance of your ranged attacks during the windup time and one-shot you (with 1000 hp)? And who moves so fast you can't even catch him to melee on horseback? And you can't summon your normal helpers, just these dipshit festival spirits who don't do anything? And he chains infinite melee attacks together that move as fast or faster than you can roll away (so even iframes won't help)?

I'm real loving mad about this since it gates off a bunch of other content that I'm already halfway through.

A bunch of you said it was easy, I literally can't comprehend what to do here. I've one-shot the majority of bosses so far in the game, I think I have the fundamentals.

I had a terrible time with him last night and then gave it another shot after work tonight and beat him on my first attempt. Only thing I did differently was put a bleed infusion/ash on my sword-- it takes out a huge chunk of his health, I was a couple hits away from killing him before he even hit phase 2

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vermain posted:

she did a whole lotta back hopping for me, and how aggressive you can play depends on what summon you get and how much poise you have to be able to hyperarmour through getting mobbed
I have essentially no poise. I mean you can usually play around her summons, the wolves vanish after 1 attack and like all dogs will whiff if you're moving away from them, dragons usually does basically nothing after you run in close, and giant normally only manages to make you dodge once or twice before it vanishes if that

you can chase down her back hopping pretty well most of the time, like I mentioned when she does the homing shots hopping backwards you can sprint under them. the only attack that makes you wait really is the moon one, but each time she started doing that I switched to bow to get in a couple shots before going back to melee as she+it landed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm getting owned by Rennala. She's really hard as a caster. I might just be underleveled but I'm 47 and really struggling with her. Even rock sling isn't dealing her basically any damage and she's one shotting me because i can't stunlock her.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I don't know why it never dawned on me before, but I realized that the summon pool thingy makes your sign show up at the stake like, everywhere. So you can just sit and chill using your golden effigy and helping people all over the map, or you can use your finger in front of a boss door if you want to stick with what you know from previous games.

After a couple of hours spent helping people around SL 65 I think I got the most hits for Black Knife Catacombs, and that map just loving breaks people's brains. Credit where credit is due, the path towards the lever to unlock the door (and the optional boss fight) is kind of devious.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Infinite Karma posted:

What the everloving gently caress is the Radahn fight? I have been breezing through everything this game can throw at me, but what do you even do against a guy who can cross the maximum distance of your ranged attacks during the windup time and one-shot you (with 1000 hp)? And who moves so fast you can't even catch him to melee on horseback? And you can't summon your normal helpers, just these dipshit festival spirits who don't do anything? And he chains infinite melee attacks together that move as fast or faster than you can roll away (so even iframes won't help)?

I'm real loving mad about this since it gates off a bunch of other content that I'm already halfway through.

A bunch of you said it was easy, I literally can't comprehend what to do here. I've one-shot the majority of bosses so far in the game, I think I have the fundamentals.
run in close around his legs, some of his attacks track loving terribly especially if you get to the sides/behind and are free attack opportunities.
here's me doing it with no summons, and then here's a different guy doing it better(but still slower than me bc bleed lol)

mcmagic posted:

I'm getting owned by Rennala. She's really hard as a caster. I might just be underleveled but I'm 47 and really struggling with her. Even rock sling isn't dealing her basically any damage and she's one shotting me because i can't stunlock her.
tbh, while you may want to use melee more heavily for that fight, you also should not rely on stunlocking bosses because there are going to be times you can't get away with it and just need to learn the patterns

she shouldn't be oneshotting you with anything besides the huge laser, but you should sprint to the side as she's charging+firing it to avoid it

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

oh poo poo, i found a hidden wall, they do exist

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Infinite Karma posted:

I dunno, I think it's possible you are exaggerating just a little bit? Yes he's mobile but he's not that hard to catch, if anything I spent more time avoiding him. Blaidd tanked him the whole fight when I won, the jar has a lot of defense/hp, and the cleric is a good meatshield. He does have some long attack strings but he also has quite a few that are highly telegraphed and predictable with decent windows of vulnerability. It's true that some of his attack strings are nasty and really punish rolling, and if he leans into those it can be an almost impossible fight.

Maybe take a break and come back with a few more levels. I failed on him a bunch of times with 1000 hits at level 60. I died three times when he did his ultimate at like 1-2% hits. I came back with 1300 hits and beat him the first try. I messed him up with horse R2s the first phase and then resummoned everyone for the second phase and did jump R2s with a zwei with bloodflame blade. Taking significantly less than half your hits on a strike instead of more than half is both practically and psychologically helpful. If you do well on the first phase you might use a Rune Arc, I don't think he has a single attack that one-shots you at 1000 hits with a Rune Arc active.

He's a mobile boss, he's clearly designed to be fought on your horse but I had zero problems getting into melee range. If you are getting one shot during your long ranged attacks use something else. I mainly did jump R2s which cover ground, have a very high hit box, allow you to reorient your attack on the fly, and tend to be very easy to aim at the horse under him which often just kind of sits still while he rages above it.

The helpers make his attacks difficult to time. I got summoned and the guy didn't use any of the spirits and it was the easiest fight I had. I have helped a lot on that fight and most people I see die do so because they go in when he's starting up one of his truly awful attack strings and there are bots around making him hit with weird angles and timing.

Also skip summoning Patches, I hope everyone knows that...

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Wiltsghost posted:

oh poo poo, i found a hidden wall, they do exist

Oh hidden walls that's just the beginning think of all the other surfaces that could be illusory.

Finally beat fully grown falling star beast. I spent a bit of time on the outside of the mountain while rot and poison ticked away. I was lucky enough that I could reach the wind sheer and not die on the way down. Had to put about 50 arrows in the son of a bitch to finish him off because he has a 360 degree danger zone at melee range.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Weapon chat
Mixing the God Serpent sword with the heal-on-crit talisman can go a loooooong way to keeping you alive.
Shame I don't like the moveset all that much but it's still worth it when there's a lot of weak enemies.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

I don't know why it never dawned on me before, but I realized that the summon pool thingy makes your sign show up at the stake like, everywhere. So you can just sit and chill using your golden effigy and helping people all over the map, or you can use your finger in front of a boss door if you want to stick with what you know from previous games.

After a couple of hours spent helping people around SL 65 I think I got the most hits for Black Knife Catacombs, and that map just loving breaks people's brains. Credit where credit is due, the path towards the lever to unlock the door (and the optional boss fight) is kind of devious.

I wish you could turn OFF a summoning stake as easy as you can turn it on. Certain zones you get summoned the same boss (Ragequit Starscouge, Chariot gently caress Your Face 2.0, Where Did I Get Teleported to and What The gently caress Is This Crystal Lizard Tunnels) 95% of the time and what's worse is it's almost certain whoever summoned you is going to eat it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm fully on board with the crafting system in this game. As long as you're even casually picking up whatever you happen to be near as you travel around, you'll have plenty of mats to just casually refill pots and livers and whatever else you need between encounters or locations, for free. I can have as many fire/lightning/whatever pots or darts or greases as I want. Granted I don't use items much to begin with, but that's because in the soulses I never spent a soul on them, so I only had what I found, and they were so rare I'd ignore them. But now I'm experimenting with the items cuz they're there, and some of them are really good. I like the stones you can break to cast 1/3/many little magic missiles. I've used those to push enemies off ledges to their deaths. It's a really good system imo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have discovered the blood weapon art and it is kinda an I win button

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm fully on board with the crafting system in this game. As long as you're even casually picking up whatever you happen to be near as you travel around, you'll have plenty of mats to just casually refill pots and livers and whatever else you need between encounters or locations, for free. I can have as many fire/lightning/whatever pots or darts or greases as I want. Granted I don't use items much to begin with, but that's because in the soulses I never spent a soul on them, so I only had what I found, and they were so rare I'd ignore them. But now I'm experimenting with the items cuz they're there, and some of them are really good. I like the stones you can break to cast 1/3/many little magic missiles. I've used those to push enemies off ledges to their deaths. It's a really good system imo
I mainly crafted weapon greases. Most of them are easy enough to make. They all take root resin as the base ingredient, and you can collect as much of it as you want right near the grace at the warmaster's shack. You can teleport to the grace, collect, teleport back to the grace, and repeat until you have as much as you want.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've been using a hammer that's basically a brick on a stick and besides having nonexistent range it's pretty fun watching dudes get stunlocked each hit.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

This game got waaaaay easier once I decided to take all of my armor off. I feel dumb for not doing it sooner

Just don't get hit :smugdog:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay, I made a couple new dedicated co-op characters with gimmicks and got them to various points in the game and it owns. My favorite dual-wields twinblades, but I also have a lowly thief in stormveil who has a sick bow and a massive stock of special arrows, and a Voldemort in Raya Lucaria with some gnarly sorcery spam. This game is great for making theme/gimmick characters

e: I want to make a Faith caster but I haven't found any good incantations

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 3, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

pretty drat good weapon from the revenger

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Don't sleep on throwing knives and kukri. Throwing knives are very fast and deal decent damage, and kukri deal kind of a lot of damage plus increase bleed buildup.

I just wish you didn't have to murder a bunch of innocent turtles and bald eagles to get some of the slightly rarer ingredients. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/PerfectlyShots/status/1499188570841620486

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

omg, that mounted R2 with the banished knight's halberd

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Immediately thought to make this once I entered this area

Spoilers for an section in the northwest of the second major area (like, past the castle)

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

New Zealand can eat me posted:

This game got waaaaay easier once I decided to take all of my armor off. I feel dumb for not doing it sooner

Just don't get hit :smugdog:

this is how i felt when I was going through the starting area which, by the way, was where I had to stop because I've done everything short of reinstalling windows to stop the black screen bug I was beginning to find myself standing still and waiting for them to attack so I could pull off a sick counter and that just feels like a complete waste of time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is there any way to get the jellyfish summon later if I missed it?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've found the poison cave. Joy.

I'm going to clean it, which is going to take a couple of unfun hours and 20 tries because my brain is broken like that. Is there anything interesting in "Tombsward Cave"?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Wow Caelid is... :stare:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

BasicLich posted:

this is how i felt when I was going through the starting area (which, by the way, was where I had to stop because I've done everything short of reinstalling windows to stop the black screen bug) I was beginning to find myself standing still and waiting for them to attack so I could pull off a sick counter and that just feels like a complete waste of time

If it's any consolation, every area you're experiencing that bug brings my 3950X/6900XT to its knees while it becomes a stuttery mess at any resolution/combination of settings (when I can maintain >50fps at 2880x5120). There's only 3-4 problem spots, but not being able to see at all would drive me mad!

It looks like you've been pretty comprehensive with your troubleshooting, here's to hoping they sort it out sooner than later

E: I will also admit I'm playing the ~horse name~ torrented version with the framerate unlocker and the FOV boosted 15%, but that made no difference on/off. I'm buying it tomorrow, hoping I can get away with transferring my save just to avoid having to redo those bits

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO3ZaWtD_jg

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

just spent more time than I'd care to admit letting these knights repeatedly climb all the way up this ladder only to get knocked right back down again with charged carian piercer

Ladder griefing is my all time favorite thing to do in Souls/Nioh games. Killing guys with fall damage = The Best.

In sadder news, now that I know almost everything Margit does can be parried that's all I'll allow myself to do now :smithicide: I've managed to get him in a good loop a few times but I'm still pretty rough at the parry timing in general with regular shields.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If it's any consolation, every area you're experiencing that bug brings my 3950X/6900XT to its knees while it becomes a stuttery mess at any resolution/combination of settings (when I can maintain >50fps at 2880x5120). There's only 3-4 problem spots, but not being able to see at all would drive me mad!

It looks like you've been pretty comprehensive with your troubleshooting, here's to hoping they sort it out sooner than later

E: I will also admit I'm playing the ~horse name~ torrented version with the framerate unlocker and the FOV boosted 15%, but that made no difference on/off. I'm buying it tomorrow, hoping I can get away with transferring my save just to avoid having to redo those bits

I'll be fine, I have a brand new PC I ordered that'll be here in less than two weeks, which is why I'm not going to bother with the fresh OS on this old warhorse. I mean I waited a full year for RDR2 to be ported from console to PC, whats two weeks

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I think I've messed up my build, can anyone provide feedback? All the videos I see show people taking multiple hits, but I seem to die in one hit from almost anything now.

I've killed most bosses in Liurna, building up to Rennala. My biggest confusion is that kills seem to give such TINY amounts of souls I'm not clear how I'm supposed to "just keep leveling" at this point...

EDIT: more useful screenshot for my question:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

I think I've messed up my build, can anyone provide feedback? All the videos I see show people taking multiple hits, but I seem to die in one hit from almost anything now.

I've killed most bosses in Liurna, building up to Rennala. My biggest confusion is that kills seem to give such TINY amounts of souls I'm not clear how I'm supposed to "just keep leveling" at this point...

I'm level 30 and my vigor is 22. Raise that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Used a respects kinda go dex/faith and sort of regretting it because I keep using the bloodhound fang. Gonna wait until level 65ish and then decide again either like full dex or heavy faith and use the winged scythe.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I just realized that since I used the gold horse knight's halberd the whole game, I never once interacted with weapon arts or greases or anything like that because you can't modify the unique weapons beyond upgrading it. A whole chunk of game design I wasn't allowed to use on my main weapon feels bad.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sounds like you should've tried using other weapons

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

what the gently caress, my save got corrupted or something, i just lost like 2 hours of progress

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cobalt60 posted:

Are you pretty much just using the moonveil katana? If so, yeah, that is a lot of wasted points in strength that you would probably be better served split between vitality and endurance so you can up your HP and get more heavy armor. Don't worry so much about rune drops, if you really need to farm there are a lot of enemies that give great drops in far-east Caelid. Beating the boss you're on will unlock respeccing which I would recommend if you want to stick with dex/int

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
For those Aussie players, don't you think the trees around Fort Faroth look a lot like ironbarks?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cobalt60 posted:

Weapon/spell scaling doesn't really get too crazy until you're well into the 40s, and you need health up to 40 for the "soft cap" as it's been referred. Once you hit the general minimums for weapons focus on the core survival stats of health and endurance.

You're also using a weapon with E scaling for STR and its your highest stat. That weapon is a dex/int weapon by a lot, you don't need str higher then 12 is that's your main weapon.

I think at 9 arcane you take a penalty to item discovery. Faith doesn't matter but at 10 you get access to some convenient spells to cure effects and some of the fortifications can make boss fights way easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Commander O'Neill! Easy horseback battle with a jellytank. I think his threat is supposed to be his little squad but they mostly couldn't touch me. Feel bad putting down SG-1 like that.

Cowcaster posted:

you know what else is pretty neat if you hit the button to bring up the list of sites of grace then a button appears to immediately port yourself to the roundtable instead of having to zoom out and highlight it

let me introduce you to the three beacons in the distance I dont remember placing but most be important oh, roundtable again