Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Are there any rugoons around, or has everything but C-SPAM been blocked? I'm curious as to what the mood is on the street and if any rifting along demographical lines is visible.

I am here Ive been sleeping 3-4 hours a day and my head is boiling mad from doomscrolling and calling aunt in Mariupol

So far most of the country is on copium because they think its just like 2014 and if not then China is gonna help us replacing all phones, cars and planes. Shits gonna get real closer to 10th when companies star skipping paydays because of how many businesses lead to Cyprus and other offshore holdings.

SA used to be blocked some time ago, I think due to the drug forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

fatherboxx posted:

I am here Ive been sleeping 3-4 hours a day and my head is boiling mad from doomscrolling and calling aunt in Mariupol

May your aunt stay safe and well, and you get a proper sleep soon. Seriously, I'm concerned about that amount of 💤

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully you aunt is safe down there. Definitely get some sleep, it's not helping anyone. I stopped following the fast thread for this reason.

Does anyone know what's up with the Эхо Москвы YT channel? It says it's not available in the Czech republic.

https://www.youtube.com/c/%D0%AD%D1%85%D0%BE%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D1%8B

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Hopefully you aunt is safe down there. Definitely get some sleep, it's not helping anyone. I stopped following the fast thread for this reason.

Does anyone know what's up with the Эхо Москвы YT channel? It says it's not available in the Czech republic.

https://www.youtube.com/c/%D0%AD%D1%85%D0%BE%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B2%D1%8B

Aunt and grandmother are ok, there are blackouts but no shooting in their district still.

Echo, despite liberal politics, is owned by Gazprom so it has been hit by Google abroad.

Yesterday its radio channel was blocked by Russian state for calling the war as it is, but still available on YouTube.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

That's awful fatherboxx, I hope this clusterfuck ends soon and your aunt and grandma are alright. :(

Goonspeed, stay safe.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I don't really have the expertise or social media presence to do much more than spitball an idea, but it seems possible to me to use COVID measures as a tool of civil disobedience.

For how long do you have to self-isolate in Russia if you feel sick? And how difficult would it be to fake a test result?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

I don't really have the expertise or social media presence to do much more than spitball an idea, but it seems possible to me to use COVID measures as a tool of civil disobedience.

For how long do you have to self-isolate in Russia if you feel sick? And how difficult would it be to fake a test result?

The police have cited covid restrictions to arrest anti-war protesters. They will interprete every rule to break even the slightest signs of opposition.

I have another idea, it involves placing a ludicrously long table between you and the cops so they can't reach you... I haven't refined it any further yet because I would need a table for testing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Sekenr posted:

My GF's brother was able to reach Poland after a day (24 hrs) at the border. Ukraine border guards were furious when they saw a Belarusian passport, threatened to shoot them, threatened to send them to Belarusian border to get killed by their own. Ultimately had to bribe them to be allowed into Poland in peace.

Jesus Christ, coupling this with the South African stories from earlier, some of these Ukrainian guards sound tough to deal with.

Also, I have some general questions about Belarus that I'm curious about.

Since from what I understand you are Belarussian, do you mind if I ask you some questions or do you not want to waste your time on a goon's inquiries?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

FWIW if anybody knows anyone fleeing Ukraine who needs a bed in Berlin, contact me, I have a living room with sofa bed available. It'll sleep one person comfortably, and if you need 1-2 extra spots I can likely source a blow up mattress or two. I also registered at https://unterkunft-ukraine.de/ but the supply-demand disparity makes me think it's not yet getting much traction on the Ukrainian side of things

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus Christ, coupling this with the South African stories from earlier, some of these Ukrainian guards sound tough to deal with.

Also, I have some general questions about Belarus that I'm curious about.

Since from what I understand you are Belarussian, do you mind if I ask you some questions or do you not want to waste your time on a goon's inquiries?

Ask away

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
drat yo, they killed echo moskvy

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1499286778234253317

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, they killed everyone yesterday. Not that there was much to kill - Echo, Rain, and bark in the direction of Meduza, Insider.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I hope everyone is doing their part

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Nenonen posted:

The police have cited covid restrictions to arrest anti-war protesters. They will interprete every rule to break even the slightest signs of opposition.

What I was referring to is organizing a COVID "blue flu" in lieu of going on strike.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hannibal Rex posted:

What I was referring to is organizing a COVID "blue flu" in lieu of going on strike.

Then they would just say this variant is harmless, go back to work.

And yes, they would still cite the covid restrictions to arrest you in a prohibited gathering.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks.

Well:

- Does Lukashenko have any notable support? Like I heard about that online poll where he had a 3% approval rating but that's an online poll. Is he really that hated?

- I'm sure you've seen that graph that shows GDP of post Soviet nations over time with Ukraine at the bottom, Russia barely above 0%, but Poland, Romania, and Belarus flying high. Is this somewhat accurate? Like has Belarus's economy really grown and has that resulted in quality of life improvements?

- People say the country didn't go through "shock therapy" like other Iron Curtain countries did. Does Belarus have some state capitalism economy similar to China with like half the economy being state owned?

- Just how much of a puppet state is Belarus of Russia, and if it is a total puppet state why has the nation's economy been strong (looking from the outside) while Russia's has been a wetfart?

- What would you say the average Belarussian wants from their country?

Sorry for all the questions but I figured I might as well get them out of the way.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Swedbank ATM today was so empty that I couldn’t take €60 out. Also, apparently, some shops are running out of salt.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The price of E95 petrol has already topped PLN 6 per litre at my local station, and this is with the reduced VAT rate and excise tax exemption still in effect. I hope it gets warmer soon because it looks like I'll have to switch to my bicycle pretty soonish if this keeps up.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Why do you need cash that often anyway.

The salt thing is lol. I wonder if matches, laundry soap and lightbulbs are also flying off the shelves. Toilet rolls and buckwheat were so 2020.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In eastern Poland people supposedly rushed to buy iodine solution, that thing you're taking if you're afraid of thyroid cancer from getting in contact with radioactive cesium.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Crossposting from the GIP Ukraine thread, it's always a good sign when your stock analyst's assessment of the situation is to break out a beer and announce he's going to return to working as a Santa Claus.

Edit: I was corrected, it was actually mineral water.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tjournal/status/1499300107837128704

Jasper Tin Neck fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 3, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

Why do you need cash that often anyway.

The salt thing is lol. I wonder if matches, laundry soap and lightbulbs are also flying off the shelves. Toilet rolls and buckwheat were so 2020.

I paid my rent this week, and my personal trainer takes cash.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Crossposting from the GIP Ukraine thread, it's always a good sign when your stock analyst's assessment of the situation is to break out a beer and announce he's going to return to working as a Santa Claus.

Edit: I was corrected, it was actually mineral water.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tjournal/status/1499300107837128704
Is the phrase "flash mob" used to mean something surprising or unexpected in Russian?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

Is the phrase "flash mob" used to mean something surprising or unexpected in Russian?

Yeah, they got it wrong and it stuck, like when Germans thought "would you give me a handy" meant "would you give me your phone"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

Well:

- Does Lukashenko have any notable support? Like I heard about that online poll where he had a 3% approval rating but that's an online poll. Is he really that hated?

There is basically no independent sociology in Belarus. It's literally illegal to poll on any political questions without a special governmental certification, and guess what, only extremely pro-Lukashenko polling agencies pass that criteria. What data could be gathered illegally is not very precise. Chatham House, for example, only had access to people over Viber and only to those who live in cities. But the few polls that are out there indicated Lukashenko's support at 20-35% back in 2021 (compared to Tsikhanouskaya's 55-65%). If that number increased lately (huge if), it's only because thousands of Lukashenko's opponents have left the country.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

In eastern Poland people supposedly rushed to buy iodine solution, that thing you're taking if you're afraid of thyroid cancer from getting in contact with radioactive cesium.

Idiots have been doing the same in pharmacies in my part Sweden the last few days, including buying a bunch of nutritional supplements only for their iodine content.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Mr. Apollo posted:

They also call protests "meeting" which confuses me every drat time.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
Got in touch with one my childhood friends who is living in Russia.

She's saying all here relatives are buying the Kremlin propaganda crap, including her boyfriend (now ex, I'm pretty sure).

Now she's planning to restore her Latvian citizenship and get the hell out Russia as soon as possible.

Pretty grim.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Piekuuns posted:

She's saying all here relatives are buying the Kremlin propaganda crap, including her boyfriend (now ex, I'm pretty sure).

Now she's planning to restore her Latvian citizenship and get the hell out Russia as soon as possible.

Pretty grim.

Hopefully she can make it out before Putin drops the curtain on the border.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, I said her the same thing, fingers crossed.

Also hearing that some of the van drivers, that taxi Ukrainian refugees from Polish/Ukraine border back to Latvia, have trouble sleeping due to seeing the sorry state of the refugees. They instead hop back behind the wheel and head out back to the border for another batch of refugees.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:negative:

Vismaz vienreiz nav kauns par mūsējiem.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There was an article yesterday about how the FSB is already stopping younger men at exit passport control, aggressively questioning them and, in many cases, refusing them the right to leave.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

There was an article yesterday about how the FSB is already stopping younger men at exit passport control, aggressively questioning them and, in many cases, refusing them the right to leave.

I've seen that, yeah. Currently, I expect prohibition for unmarried adults to leave the country.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Piekuuns posted:

Pretty grim.
Yep it seems like a good chunk of normies totally expect Ukraine to kick-start the fourth reich if nothing is done. While I don't expect better from the average vatnik, the various Russian friends and relatives have been disappointing. Out of 4-5 people I know reasonably closely from college, only one who's also my colleague now checked with me and offered support. Some of relatives who aren't even Russian but live there straight up defend the whole thing, knowing very well I might've been (and in fact should have been) there.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I've seen that, yeah. Currently, I expect prohibition for unmarried adults to leave the country.
I've heard rumors that anyone caught for protesting could be conscripted and sent over there. Any idea if that's BS? Sounds pretty crazy even for Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I've heard rumors that anyone caught for protesting could be conscripted and sent over there. Any idea if that's BS? Sounds pretty crazy even for Russia.

Nothing in print as of right now. That said, do penal battalions really sound crazy for current day Russia?

:thunk:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

It's an LDPR bill, supposedly. So it's probably the usual crazy-for-show, but who the heck knows these days.

Edit: confirmation: https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/20...ykh-aktsii-news

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

Well:

Paladinus answered that one. Also, he is much more structured thinker than I so he is better off answering those honestly.

quote:

- I'm sure you've seen that graph that shows GDP of post Soviet nations over time with Ukraine at the bottom, Russia barely above 0%, but Poland, Romania, and Belarus flying high. Is this somewhat accurate? Like has Belarus's economy really grown and has that resulted in quality of life improvements?

Not sure what graph you talk about but the fact alone that Lithuania that is about 1/4 of our size and 1/3 of our population is close to our gdp should tell a lot. Quality of life, sure there were definitely quality of life improvements.

quote:

- People say the country didn't go through "shock therapy" like other Iron Curtain countries did. Does Belarus have some state capitalism economy similar to China with like half the economy being state owned?

Yes, exactly except with much more mismanagement.

quote:

- Just how much of a puppet state is Belarus of Russia, and if it is a total puppet state why has the nation's economy been strong (looking from the outside) while Russia's has been a wetfart?

Lukashenko used to be a sort of ally from hell that often argued with Putin, milked russia for money while pretending to be closer with the west. 2020 protests undermined his power to the point of full puppet I think. As for economy, is is subsidised by russia by cheap gas and crude oil that we refine and sell.

quote:

- What would you say the average Belarussian wants from their country?

Sorry for all the questions but I figured I might as well get them out of the way.

Just get those ghouls out of the way so we can try to build a decent nation in peace. So much good was wasted and so much potential lost.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

OddObserver posted:

It's an LDPR bill, supposedly. So it's probably the usual crazy-for-show, but who the heck knows these days.

Edit: confirmation: https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/20...ykh-aktsii-news

Peskov said he doesn't like the bill. He said military service should be an honourable duty and a privilege.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sekenr posted:

Not sure what graph you talk about but the fact alone that Lithuania that is about 1/4 of our size and 1/3 of our population is close to our gdp should tell a lot. Quality of life, sure there were definitely quality of life improvements.

I could have sworn I saw a similar graph somewhere with OurWorldData, but plugging it in myself you seem to be correct. Belarus is lagging compared to it's competitors:

Sekenr posted:

Yes, exactly except with much more mismanagement.

I see. Do people dislike the state capitalist system? Do you think the fact that the country didn't undergo shock therapy like the rest of the region led to it being more authoritarian?

Sekenr posted:

Lukashenko used to be a sort of ally from hell that often argued with Putin, milked russia for money while pretending to be closer with the west. 2020 protests undermined his power to the point of full puppet I think. As for economy, is is subsidised by russia by cheap gas and crude oil that we refine and sell.

This is an interesting and informative take I haven't heard before.

Sekenr posted:

Just get those ghouls out of the way so we can try to build a decent nation in peace. So much good was wasted and so much potential lost.

I'm sorry this has happened to your country. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
And now for something completely different:

Saw this during a walk in northern Germany. That's the first time I've seen Cyrillic here. I wonder if it's a coincidence or preparation for the arrival of refugees. (The city took a lot of Syrian refugees as well)