Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

NTRabbit posted:

Wayne 'Repeated domestic abuser' Carey has been taken out of the channel 7 commentary line up too, and replaced with Daisy 'actual champion' Pearce

Wasn't he just moved to saturday night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

thepokey posted:

Wasn't he just moved to saturday night?

Hope is a lie

:negative:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Hope is a lie

:negative:

Yeah, we'll never be rid of that piece of poo poo. Saw a bus ad for SAS Australia with his heavily airbrushed face saying he'll be "RENEWED"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

One thing that really shits me with Carey is the way the footy media, or most media in general, talk about his "past controversies". They always mention the team mate's wife thing and thats it. Never about glassing a woman in the face

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I like the way his excuse for that is "I was just trying to throw a glass of wine over her in a public restaurant and my glass accidentally hit her in the lip. People who know me know I would never be physically abusive."

Of course, by "like" I mean "gently caress Wayne Carey."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

cmndstab posted:

I like the way his excuse for that is "I was just trying to throw a glass of wine over her in a public restaurant and my glass accidentally hit her in the lip. People who know me know I would never be physically abusive."

Of course, by "like" I mean "gently caress Wayne Carey."

But that's a complete lie isn't it?

I thought the glassing thing happened at his girlfriends flat and the police were called.

But I could be very wrong, as I don't remember the exact details.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Why would you throw a glass over someone if not at the very least intending to threaten or intimidate them.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Probably a complete lie, yes. He was trying to skirt the line of "I admit I've been abusive in the past but it was more emotional abuse and intimidation, not being physically violent" which, I mean, yikes.

Here is the article:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/entertainment/sas-australia-wayne-carey-opens-up-on-infamous-affair-glassing-allegations--c-5642089

quote:

“I’m not proud of some of the things that I’ve done but I’ve done a lot of work on myself over the last 10 years and I take ownership of it,” Carey said to the camera before his interrogation begins.

The 50-year-old also spoke about the time he was accused of glassing his ex.

“I got accused of glassing my girlfriend, I lent over to throw wine on her at a restaurant, which is clearly wrong, the glass touched her lip. The headlines were that I glassed her,” he said.

To which Middleton responds: “What the f*** are you playin’ at? What went through your head?”

“It’s one of the biggest regrets of my life,” Carey responded.

The former AFL great then went on to claim that all his partners would state that he’s “never been physically abusive” but Carey admits he has been mentally abusive in the past.

“You don’t have to hit someone to be abusive,” he said.

Her response:

quote:

But on Wednesday she disputed Carey’s version of events.

“If it was an accident he wouldn’t have fled the scene when glass smashed in my face,’’ Neilson said.

“There was a lot of blood, why wouldn’t you stay and aid someone you love when you can see they’re in a bad way?

“It looked like someone had been stabbed and people were screaming. The glass was so loud when it shattered, it doesn’t make sense it was an accident.

“We have discussed it and I know he knows the truth. If he wants to go with that narrative, I guess once you say something publicly, you have to go with it.

“Wayne was highly intoxicated that night, he’d had a lot to drink during the day, and I only started drinking at night. My recollection is crystal clear.”

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 26, 2022

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Crows and Melbourne have now put a tiny bit of space between themselves and North and Freo.

Go Crows

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Fremantle vs Melbourne next week becomes an extremely interesting game. Freo have percentage over Melbourne so it will essentially become a battle for the second spot (and potentially even top spot if Crows lose to Collingwood).

It's a shame that round ten looks like being a bit of a fizzer at this stage. Of course there can be upsets, but all of the top six are slated to play teams outside the top six. In particular, Crows, Melbourne and North are playing the bottom three sides. I guess percentage will still be relevant at that point so it might turn into a battle of who can get the biggest win.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Tayla Harris has been in really good form this season, great threat in the forward 50 and can run to create a target coming out of defence too.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yes, this is the first season she's really lived up to the hype and delivered consistently. Not sure whether that's a result of being a part of Melbourne's system, or if it has just come with maturity.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

cmndstab posted:

Yes, this is the first season she's really lived up to the hype and delivered consistently. Not sure whether that's a result of being a part of Melbourne's system, or if it has just come with maturity.

Being told that absolutely nobody thinks that you're as good as you think you are can be a very sobering experience.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Tayla Harris has been in really good form this season, great threat in the forward 50 and can run to create a target coming out of defence too.

Yeah I think she's made a huge difference to the team structure, in years past as the Dees would hit the crunch games at the end of the year having an attack focused around Tegan Cunningham felt like it became a liability as she could be taken out of big games, whereas Harris just has a few more weapons as a forward which should help, and she's never been afraid to crash packs even if she's having a quiet game.

One concern I see is that the Dees have a few pretty small and lightweight players in their lineup like Mithen, Hanks, Heath and McNamara and I wonder how they will go when the heat is on for a final, but that said Norf have a pretty big physical team and the Dees stood up to them pretty well yesterday.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Poor Perkins, that miss from 20 out directly in front to win the game is going to haunt her. I assume she overthought it after missing the previous shot.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/1497770524780691456?s=21

Bizaro World Fyfe is gone, 2010 Fyfe is back

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

huh, bold move

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

She seems to have a real good football brain and a good communicator, might be a pretty shrewd get

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think it would be a good pickup for Geelong and good for daisy (apart from the drive to/from Geelong-bright every week if she did the same setup she does now). She’s been in Melbourne’s system to some degree since the start of the exhibition matches, and I reckon very few people have benefited from sitting around the same club going from player to coaching.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Is she planning to continue on as a player? Could be awkward when she plays against Geelong. I know the men's and women's teams are separate but still.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

Is she planning to continue on as a player? Could be awkward when she plays against Geelong. I know the men's and women's teams are separate but still.

Widely believed that this will be her last year playing

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

If she takes the role as an assistant coach then we all lose her as a commentator.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

If she takes the role as an assistant coach then we all lose her as a commentator.

That would be a great loss. Daisy is very very good at providing actual football analysis.

Has she ever been let up into the main booth, or is she always down on the boundary? I can't remember.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

That would be a great loss. Daisy is very very good at providing actual football analysis.

Has she ever been let up into the main booth, or is she always down on the boundary? I can't remember.

She’ll be part of the main commentary team for Friday nights this season(assuming she doesn’t take the Geelong job)

I feel like I’ve heard her as part of the box before but couldn’t be 100% certain

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

She’ll be part of the main commentary team for Friday nights this season(assuming she doesn’t take the Geelong job)

I feel like I’ve heard her as part of the box before but couldn’t be 100% certain

She’s done plenty of games as a main commentator, just not the Friday night BT Blokey Mates Boofhead Fest

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Flaggers '22

:circlefap:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

It's hard to give much of a poo poo about a practice game, it's not like this has real stakes, like an AFLX tournament for example.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Nobody should give a poo poo about scratch matches, there isn't even a preseason cup anymore.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The one thing I can take out of tonight’s match is fan abuse of umpires is going to be okay off the loving chain based on the new 50 rules

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Remind me, how are they different again?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Just a heads up (if you're not already doing the AFLW) for the tipping comp which is still the same place, although it's been Disneyfied so you might have to gently caress around with passwords and accounts.

https://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SASTips&p=goons

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Deadly Hume posted:

Just a heads up (if you're not already doing the AFLW) for the tipping comp which is still the same place, although it's been Disneyfied so you might have to gently caress around with passwords and accounts.

https://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SASTips&p=goons

My new job does a tipping comp with actual prize money on the line, so this year is going to be interesting.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
What about Goon Golden Spoon Fantasy Draft Foot The Ball League? Last year we only had 5 entrants, it's probably not worth it, but I had a lot of fun with it when we had 8 for a few years...

Forum Joe fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 4, 2022

Timbits
Dec 25, 2004
This account was the best Christmas present ever.

Oh, how I love deep square leg!

Forum Joe posted:

What about Goon Golden Spoon Fantasy Draft Foot The Ball League? Last year we only had 5 entrants, it's probably not worth it, but I had a lot of fun with it when we had 8 for a few years...

I'd be keen for that, friend.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Here's the link for Goon Golden Spoon

https://www.ultimatefooty.com.au/579635/invitation

If we can get a full league of 8 or more this season I'll turn on advanced stats

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 4, 2022

Matt Gloss
Aug 30, 2004
Touch dry in four hours!
I’m in again!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I also have joined.

I have not done Ultimate footy before, and my team will be a rag tag bunch of wastrels and list cloggers. Destined to lose forever.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I'm in again as well!

Hopefully I can pay more attention than I did last year even though I'll fail miserably regardless of how much effort I put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

In for tipping and UF again this year