Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jaete posted:

In Finland, the discussion about NATO membership has often used the phrase "NATO option", by which is meant something like, if Russia looks like it's going to start an invasion soon, then Finland would have this "option" of insta-applying for NATO membership and being instantly accepted somehow, thus cleverly foiling Putin's plans at the last second. Needless to say, this is a completely idiotic take on how NATO (and other big serious international treaties with binding obligations) actually work in real life

No this is actually real, rumour I heard is that the processes are in place to bring Sweden and Finland in within 24 hours if necessary. Their militaries are NATO certified, they do joint exercises, they literally already have seats and offices in NATO.

I do think that betting on everything going smoothly in a crisis is a bad risk, and that wasting precious weeks having a debate on NATO membership as Russian troops mobilise on your border is a bad idea.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

For the better in every way IMO. That football tournament is still many months away. It's not like they're punished by being left stranded without food and shelter. Airplane travel and credit card payment is practically impossible and there's the possibility of repercussions directed towards the kids or their caretakers like the Russian cross-country skier's van which got sprayed with graffiti. It would have sucked for them to travel here, staying at home without travelling to a big international football tournament is just normal life.

There is also a thruline of high up political leaders sending their children abroad and letting them live a life of privilege while those are the same people who lead this war.

Famously one of Putins daughters lived in the Netherlands.

Now is it lovely? Sure, I can see it in the abstract. But so is dying because your school was bombed.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

Notice you left out the first part of the statement which is where the guy explains to a child that he knows because "Russian missiles have different smoke trails". Maybe different kinds of missiles have different smoke trails, I'm not an expert, but divorcing the moment of its context is what the Russians are doing here, and it's also what you are doing

That's what I'm objecting to

That's fair. I was just responding to the language the guy used it the tweet. thanks for clarifying. because as a russian speaker actually watching that poo poo is an act of self harm.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

:nms: https://twitter.com/defensesentinel/status/1499161463352881153

Lucky hit, or is Russia also doing the "geolocating tweets" thing?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's some reason to think this is accurate:

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1499299827183931395

They had a dozen barakytar drones initially, Russia claims to have destroyed some, and they also were recently (yesterday) supplied with an unspecified number of new ones by Turkey.

Importantly though they don't have to explode the whole column. If it's out of fuel and food and cut off, it's done, especially in rasputitsa.

That thread claims it's the only bridge in the area. If so, wasn't it destroyed a week ago? https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1497100868537270300

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

KitConstantine posted:

Tagging what could be video of people being killed during a war, no matter how far away they are, as merely :nws: feels crass though.

It doesn't feel like it's wrong or anything, but in a thread that someone might have reason to post graphic imagery in a link having a tag mean either "this is a video of an attack with a shot of a child with their eyes hanging out" or "this is a video of a building burning from miles away, so you know people died" is a little rough.

In my mind it's not a ranking of importance, it's more a rank of immediate distress the link will cause. Like a picture of a profoundly gruesome wound someone totally survived and will recover from would be not mind safe, more than a text news story reporting 500 people have died in a fire. (unless there is photos of people burned, then it would be again)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

That's fair. I was just responding to the language the guy used it the tweet. thanks for clarifying. because as a russian speaker actually watching that poo poo is an act of self harm.

Fair enough. I do recommend the livetweet thread and the reaction thread I posted. There's no videos in either, just quotes and editorializing.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Given the apparent efficiency of Bayraktar TB2's, is there anything stopping countries from supplying Ukraine with more? Like are they costum-made with long lead times etc?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mrfart posted:

A weapons expert yesterday on BBC explained that the Ukrainian air force lacks the proper equipment to attack these large columns of vehicles.
Their fighters are more aimed at air to air combat. The Turkish drones do great work for them, but they only have a couple dozen, and probably already lost half, and these can only attack a couple of vehicles each time.

The Su-24 is definitely a ground attack aircraft, but it could very well be lacking in equipment or training to conduct such attacks up to a modern standard. More likely it's dropping dumb bombs with radar computed bomb aiming, which is 70s, 80s tech. I'm not sure how well equipped the Ukrainian Su-24s are, but it should be capable of hitting vehicle concentrations pretty well, if not with the pinpoint tankbusting of a Javelin or an airborne laser-/TV-guided missile like the Su-24 could carry in the best case.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Maybe true, but the two pics supposedly don't add up and I'm inclined to agree, the building in the picture to the right looks more likw classroom wing than a gymnasium.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dante posted:

Given the apparent efficiency of Bayraktar TB2's, is there anything stopping countries from supplying Ukraine with more? Like are they costum-made with long lead times etc?

I believe the limiter is mostly Turkish high-tech industrial capacity.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dante posted:

There were reports of Turkey sending more
No doubt they are salivating at the boost to worldwide sales (yuk)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tamba posted:

Ukraine has been really good about not posting troop movements so far, but if that's a accurate that's a massive deviation from their usual opsec.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

There were reports of Turkey sending more
No doubt they are salivating at the boost to worldwide sales (yuk)

Goes well with Turkish currency inflation being crazy at the moment.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like perhaps tales of mass surrender/desertion may not have been overstated.

Video taken by what looks to be Russian soldiers themselves - I've linked from a short translation.

https://twitter.com/mumSELondon/status/1499361269484302336?t=6FbDwhFXD47lu3GVCbGxsw&s=19

I've seen this video posted on other trustworthy accounts with similar translations

Edit: and another video - unsure if it's the same group of soldiers or not. Warning: dead bodies shown in the replies

https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1499290702554927104?t=fX9PF6DsHM1wGFdS5FAcdQ&s=19

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 3, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Saladman posted:

It is not the same now. They banned the actual athletes, which is supremely hosed up IMHO. Like it's pretty shameful to ban a bunch of paralympian athletes from competing because you they received a piece of paper when they were born from a country that just did something horrific.

Not remotely as hosed up as invading Ukraine, but still pretty shameful.

This is also petty, but also hilarious and doesn't hurt anyone who have nothing to do with the war.

It's not hosed up. Sports has been a huge part of Putin's propaganda machine, and saying that Russia is not officially competing at the Olympics, while wearing white, blue and red uniforms with a gleaming Putin next to them when they get medals, is the least effective sanction ever imagined by mankind.

Kicking Russians out of all international sports is something that their propaganda machine CAN'T hide. They can cut off all international news, social media etc. to hide the world's disgust, but they can't engineer a fake Europa League to compete in.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Guess we'll find out how well Javelins work on landing craft.

I wonder if Ukraine has any anti shipping missiles in a serviceable condition. Taking down a landing ship full of troops would be a statement and a half.

About a year ago their navy started fielding a new domestically produced anti-ship missile. In what numbers and whether they have survived is not known.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune_(cruise_missile)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tamba posted:

"Geolocating" makes it sound eerily advanced and automated but it could be as simple as the guy actually saying the location, or his previous posts or other context containing enough hints ("back in my childhood school, for different reasons this time" or similar), so that Russians trawling for info by hand could connect the dots. Obviously a massive opsec fuckup by the guy and something no soldier should be doing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1499352556300079109?t=tfPt_FRnEEr1MK-7xOE7Ow&s=19

Russian soldier filming their situation. People have been abandoned for 3 days, sleeping on the floor, no reliable food or water. Higher ups are coercing them to sign backdated resignation papers to cover their asses before they take them back home. Soldiers don't want to sign the papers.

Guy is walking around and asks people to confirm what he is saying and everyone agrees. One soldier confirms that they've been told they were going on an exercise, sarcastically adds that he has learned so much

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 18, 2022

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Here is an interesting one - allegedly , these are Russian soldiers in preparation for deployment, very distressed at their conditions and being forced to sign documents. Not sure if real, hard to find any signs that these are russians (you've seen the uniforms of both sides for the last week) aside from a very southern accent of the guy speaking. Maybe osint guys would verify or debunk

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1499352556300079109?t=c5T1Wt5Z0UAp3tcqBBOMLw&s=19

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 3, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FishBulbia posted:

I will never understand the russian usage of the word flashmob, it seems to refer to anything unexpected.

I remember when someone refered to an oil tanker washing up on the beach at odesa as a flashmob

Flashmob? Nooo! This is a fleshmob.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheRat posted:

That thread claims it's the only bridge in the area. If so, wasn't it destroyed a week ago? https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1497100868537270300

That doesn't look like the same bridge. The photo shows on the far side it is all trees and on the near side it forks with some sort of monument. The destroyed bridge shows a straight road heading into a built up area so it doesn't look like it could be a shot of this bridge from either direction.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Tamba posted:

Can't really tell if these 2 picture are of the same location.
The hole in the wall clearly isn't the sports hall of a school that these soldiers seemed to be in in the first picture.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

Looks like perhaps tales of mass surrender/desertion may not have been overstated.

Video taken by what looks to be Russian soldiers themselves - I've linked from a short translation.

https://twitter.com/mumSELondon/status/1499361269484302336?t=6FbDwhFXD47lu3GVCbGxsw&s=19

Eh...I definitely wouldn't walk them back across the border. They'll either be harshly punished for desertion in time of war, or just forced back into the fight again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheRat posted:

REading the thread it sounds like it was rebuilt in at least some sort of jury-rigged fashion. Allegedly.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

KitConstantine posted:

I've seen this video posted on other trustworthy accounts with similar translations

Edit: and another video - unsure if it's the same group of soldiers or not. Warning: dead bodies shown in the replies

https://twitter.com/LostWeapons/status/1499290702554927104?t=fX9PF6DsHM1wGFdS5FAcdQ&s=19

From what I understood, they were being asked to sign some back-dated documents before they would be transported back to Russia. Supposedly to cover the asses of higher-ups. Been held up for 3-4 days without food.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Chalks posted:

That doesn't look like the same bridge. The photo shows on the far side it is all trees and on the near side it forks with some sort of monument. The destroyed bridge shows a straight road heading into a built up area so it doesn't look like it could be a shot of this bridge from either direction.

I only mentioned it because the original thread said it was the only bridge towards Kyiv in the area. The tweet I linked also says 'the bridge' rather than 'a bridge' but that doesn't have to mean anything I suppose.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

jaete posted:

Finnish newspaper reports (in Finnish) that Finland's president will travel to US and meet Pres Biden on Friday (i.e. tomorrow)

Another source here btw (also in Finnish)

Not much details given.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why wouldn’t they sign back dated documents if it meant going home? I’m just not sure what the implication is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

lilljonas posted:

It's not hosed up. Sports has been a huge part of Putin's propaganda machine, and saying that Russia is not officially competing at the Olympics, while wearing white, blue and red uniforms with a gleaming Putin next to them when they get medals, is the least effective sanction ever imagined by mankind.

Kicking Russians out of all international sports is something that their propaganda machine CAN'T hide. They can cut off all international news, social media etc. to hide the world's disgust, but they can't engineer a fake Europa League to compete in.

Oh yeah this. Sport in particular, but anything that gets prestige for a Russian flag on the world stage is a big deal for the regime. There's a reason they went to all the trouble of having a massive state organised doping programme.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

KitConstantine posted:

Throw so many POWs at the Ukrainian forces that their logistics fail from all the extra supplies needed to care for them!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
At some point Putin is just gonna declare every Russian soldier that ends up a prisoner a traitor, Stalin-style, isn’t he?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TheRat posted:

Yeah, banning paralympics athletes who have no involvement with the army or the politics seems a bit hosed up. Norway banned russian and belarusian kids from participating in a summer fotoball tournament (norway cup) which also seems really hosed up. It seems like every organisation is feeling pressure to ~do something~ even if that something doesn't really make a lot of sense.

source

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

jaete posted:

Finnish newspaper reports (in Finnish) that Finland's president will travel to US and meet Pres Biden on Friday (i.e. tomorrow)

poo poo, is he fleeing??? The rumours were right!!! :derp:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheRat posted:

I only mentioned it because the original thread said it was the only bridge towards Kyiv in the area. The tweet I linked also says 'the bridge' rather than 'a bridge' but that doesn't have to mean anything I suppose.

I'm not 100% on Ukrainian but I guess it's worth noting that Russian does not have definite articles and doesn't really distinguish (except by context of the sentence as a whole) between a/the.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why wouldn’t they sign back dated documents if it meant going home? I’m just not sure what the implication is.

The tenses got screwed up in some translations I think. My understanding is the soldiers signed back dated documents before being sent to Ukraine.

Again my understanding only - technically in Russia there are rules about what conscripts can do vs "professional soldiers" and there's a time in service minimum to fall in the second category. I'm guessing some of these guys signed docs that said they had been serving longer than they actually had so they would fall into category 2

Edit: eh I'm not confident enough in this to leave it fully up. Maybe we'll get a better translations somewhere

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 3, 2022

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Beats me. That's just what I got from the video. But my Russian is only so-so

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think the implication is that they don’t trust their commanders not to gently caress them over so they don’t trust that the documents won’t get them shot or imprisoned for abandonment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

TheRat posted:

Clearly different, one is over a railroad crossing the other over a river.