Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I still don't understand why Oppo with Justin Ling and Gerson was a thing - they'd discuss a topic, Gerson would stay firmly on the conservative line, no matter how many times Justin would point out fallacies and how ludicrous that line was and it would end with Justin sighing and saying "okay"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
It was the worst show.

Don't worry, Gerson went off and started her own substack where she is now *checks notes* yelling at Twitter.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DariusLikewise posted:

the most disturbing part of canadaland is listening to jesse brown talk

if only there were a text version i might be interested

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

My favorite Canadaland thing was the "I am the secret Public Servant" series that lasted a whole 2 articles wherein the first article is this hot teaser of all the salacious inner workings of public office, and the second article decrying how bilingualism requirements limit prime candidacy within government (and not pay, respect, overall effectiveness, fulfillment etc etc)

After getting absolutely shredded - the public servant apparently hasn't been back to write a third article

(Also now the site plays podcast audio ads automatically with no media controls anywhere on the site? what the gently caress is this, myspace?)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
gotta be a Patreon for adfree

the Backbench has also turned out to be pretty pointless. it's just lib brains regurgitating "common sense" framing of political issues to each other. I like Syed as a climate journalist, but drat that show sucks.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
does anybody have that collage of Trudeau, with his various TV appearances, blackface photos, etc.? I swear it was posted in this thread but I can't find it. It's on a red background, I think?

It's... for a friend

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/billblair/status/1498802177971732486?s=21

theres enough outbreaks that they are requesting immediate federal aid but masks and vaccine cards are useless

"Turns and screams into pillow*
Ah. Well, nevertheless. Batman comes out soon just in time for all the mandates to be lifted.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Excuse me.

It's THE Batman

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
going to call fervently and exclusively refer to it as Manbat from now on just to annoy nerds

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

that batsmen guy, you know, being played by the Twilight star

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

that batsmen guy, you know, being played by the Twilight star

i am still genuinely amazed that both bella AND edward turned out to be actually good actors who i would be happy to see in a movie

jacob is pretty much done though

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Arivia posted:

he's way hotter tho

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have a photo of that book passage about how Freeland is a Ukrainian expat who knows what's best for Ukrainians better than those who live there? I know it was posted in the thread but can't find it...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

jsoh posted:

he's way hotter tho

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

apatheticman posted:

Excuse me.

It's THE Batman

The Hyphen Batman

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mameluke posted:

Does anyone have a photo of that book passage about how Freeland is a Ukrainian expat who knows what's best for Ukrainians better than those who live there? I know it was posted in the thread but can't find it...

https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/841295298077024256

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Goddamn his writing is just as nauseating as hearing him talk

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If you want to learn more about Ukrainian nationalism in Canada, I strongly recommend a recent essay by Per Anders Rudling on the ways that Canada's far right Ukrainian diaspora tries to police history with the support of all our major political parties. It's included in this open-access publication, pages 42-60.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

vyelkin posted:

If you want to learn more about Ukrainian nationalism in Canada, I strongly recommend a recent essay by Per Anders Rudling on the ways that Canada's far right Ukrainian diaspora tries to police history with the support of all our major political parties. It's included in this open-access publication, pages 42-60.
oh nice, thank you. I was just thinking I might PM you asking for exactly this

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Thanks for this

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

vyelkin posted:

putting this right beside my copy of The Gulag Archipelago with introduction by Jordan Peterson for some bedtime reading

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Arivia posted:

i am still genuinely amazed that both bella AND edward turned out to be actually good actors who i would be happy to see in a movie

I was gonna say he was really good in Wild Indian but I've never seen Twilight and Chaske Spencer wasn't the main werewolf dude like I thought.

Really, I just want an excuse to say that Wild Indian is a very good movie. I looked at the reviews because it has a really weird spread of people saying it's either very good or bad, and it became super obvious that the split is due to people who just have no idea about the history and impacts of cultural genocide and assimilation.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Really fascinating article. I knew the Toronto Banderites went after Rudling back in 2012 but apparently they went after him again in 2020. And then got some Swede fascist to carry on the attack.

there's a lot of stuff I didn't know

quote:

Multicultural Funding
A pioneer of normative multiculturalism, in 2021 Canada celebrated the semi-centennial of multiculturalism. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (b. 1971) argued that the policy, introduced by his father half a century earlier, “continues to give vitality to Canadian society, reflect its multicultural reality, and inspire people and countries around the world.” The Canadian multiculturalist movement was initiated by Ukrainian nationalists, by far the most active group in the pursuit of multiculturalism. The Ukrainian lobby in Canada remains one of the most powerful in that country.

It is organized as an umbrella organization, the Ukrainian Canadian Congress, UCC, established in 1940. The LUC has been a member of the UCC since 1959.53 In the past two decades, OUN(b) front organizations have asserted themselves as an increasingly dominant force within the UCC – through which it has direct channels to the top leadership of all major Canadian political parties. Since its introduction in 1971, Canadian normative multiculturalism has been a boon to the LUC and other OUN(b) front organizations, which have obtained substantial funding from the Canadian government. Multicultural funding co-financed, among other things, construction of the Roman Shukhevych Youth Unity Complex in Edmonton. The funding is ongoing.55 The Government of Canada currently funds 19 UCC programs, amounting to CAD 1,082,500.83.56

also

edit: lmao are you kidding me

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 03:46 on Mar 3, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're right. I really really hate nazis.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Dreylad posted:

edit: lmao are you kidding me

lol

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Karach posted:

putting this right beside my copy of The Gulag Archipelago with introduction by Jordan Peterson for some bedtime reading

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ontario Nazis. I hate Ontario Nazis.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Karach posted:

i had to read some of solzhenitsyn in french when i was studying abroad. that was dreary.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... yes, serving in a German uniform from 1939-1943 would PROBABLY mean that person was a literal nazi. That's how this works, and is stating an actual fact. I didn't realize facts were now considered hate crimes.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Randalor posted:

... yes, serving in a German uniform from 1939-1943 would PROBABLY mean that person was a literal nazi. That's how this works, and is stating an actual fact. I didn't realize facts were now considered hate crimes.

Everything must be 100% good or 100% bad.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's loving wild how well the Ukrainian right wing has infiltrated canadian liberal institutions and policies like multiculturalism, free speech, human rights to basically promote their whitewashed fascist history

i knew the broad strokes but the details are just brutal.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Canada imported hundreds of Ukrainian Waffen-SS members to crush the communist movement in the prairies, and it worked.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Pro Click everybody!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

:thunk:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hate this country so loving much

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

vyelkin posted:

wow wow wow this is good, and from starting down this rabbit-hole I finally know what my sister was talking about when she said there was a memorial for the Waffen SS in Edmonton.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

seems like this country needs denazification

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

seems like this country needs denazification

Nooo you can't say that nooo it's the Russians that are evil not us noooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

look, heil hitler is just a fun thing that germans say to eachother. it's sort of cute. it's really been stripped of its historical connotations because the intentions of the people who use it nowadays are pure. it's just like aloha, a friendly greeting that warms your heart and lets you know you're among friends. another good reason to say heil hitler is to tell people "relax! have a good time!"