Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I think I overheard it was cocchi and.antica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

That sounds like a good combo. I love Antica, but sometimes it can be oversweet for me. Cocchi Torino is definitely on the dry side, so they should balance each other out nicely

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've never had a Negroni despite loving gin. I think I'll have to change that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Had a couple extremely large pina coladas with some modification and reminded me how much I enjoy a tiki.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I have a housewarming party in the future (at least a month) and already thinking about punch. Think I want to scale up my personal mai tai variation to a punch level. Does this make sense? Have a nice bowl for it and would do the smaller bowl ice block.

Aged Jamaica Rum not too funky
Aged Demerara Rum
Grapefruit and Lime Turbinado Oleo Syrup
Grapefruit and lime juice
Orgeat
Aperol
Angostura Bitters
Tiki Bitters
Prosecco
Grapefruit and lime flavored sparkling water*
Sprite*

*Would choose which one based on the judged final sweetness. Maybe float mint leaves for garnish.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Professor Shark posted:

I've never had a Negroni despite loving gin. I think I'll have to change that.

It's not a drink that rewards you based on how much you like the spirit, it's a drink that rewards how much you like the interplay of various bitter flavors with that spirit.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Pander posted:

It's not a drink that rewards you based on how much you like the spirit, it's a drink that rewards how much you like the interplay of various bitter flavors with that spirit.

So bitter. So good. More bitter.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a dark rum and a white rum? I'm trying to make a Mai Tai and I only have Plantation "O.F.T.D." Overproof Dark Rum. I also have some Smith & Cross.

White rum, I'm going with Real McCoy 3 Year Old Single Blended Barbados Rum or Foursquare/Hampden "Probitas" White Blended Rum

Orange curacao I'm going for the Giffard Triple Sec Liqueur or Combier Liqueur D'Orange Triple Sec

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I like to use smith and cross and an over proof agricole, Jm 100 or something similar. I also prefer Pierre ferrand dry curaçao or clement creole shrub. Sometimes I really enjoy subbing in an amaro for the orange. Cynar is good and it still has some orange notes. Sfumato if you want real weird and tasty

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for a dark rum and a white rum? I'm trying to make a Mai Tai and I only have Plantation "O.F.T.D." Overproof Dark Rum. I also have some Smith & Cross.

White rum, I'm going with Real McCoy 3 Year Old Single Blended Barbados Rum or Foursquare/Hampden "Probitas" White Blended Rum

Orange curacao I'm going for the Giffard Triple Sec Liqueur or Combier Liqueur D'Orange Triple Sec

My favorite rum blend for a mai tai is 1oz of Smith and Cross, .5 oz of OFTD, and .5 oz of Plantation’s Stiggins Fancy Pineapple Rum. Rhum Agricole is more traditional, and I like that fine, but this is my preference.

The pineapple rum was recommended, if I remember, by our own Sandwich Anarchist. It isn’t a “flavored” rum, it’s highly versatile and generally my “gold” rum of choice. Mixed with the OFTD you get a very full, round tropical flavor.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Worth it making my own maraschinos or suck it up and buy the Luxardos? My other option is to stick with the weird Dr. Oetker’s.

E: lol guess I’m stuck with my crappy Dr. Oetker’s until I buy some better berries online. Maraschino liquor is in like, 14 stores in the entire country and the one closest is an hour’s drive away.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 3, 2022

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

teen witch posted:

Worth it making my own maraschinos or suck it up and buy the Luxardos? My other option is to stick with the weird Dr. Oetker’s.

E: lol guess I’m stuck with my crappy Dr. Oetker’s until I buy some better berries online. Maraschino liquor is in like, 14 stores in the entire country and the one closest is an hour’s drive away.

I feel like we're stuck in a Maraschino time loop of some sort, but to review: Marasca is the type of cherry from which both Maraschino liqueur and "Maraschino cherries" are made. I'm not sure if the cherries ever used to be soaked in the liqueur, but these days that would be highly unusual. It's usually just some kind of preservative sugary syrup, possibly including a much cheaper liquor.

So in conclusion: buy Maraschino liqueur anyway because it's delicious, but don't bother using it for Maraschino cherries.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like we're stuck in a Maraschino time loop of some sort, but to review: Marasca is the type of cherry from which both Maraschino liqueur and "Maraschino cherries" are made. I'm not sure if the cherries ever used to be soaked in the liqueur, but these days that would be highly unusual. It's usually just some kind of preservative sugary syrup, possibly including a much cheaper liquor.

So in conclusion: buy Maraschino liqueur anyway because it's delicious, but don't bother using it for Maraschino cherries.

I’ve had the liqueur before and it rules (which I was keen on buying it and figured “also make cherries”), but it’s kind of a to-do to get from my town.

When I’m in Stockholm next I’ll see if any of the systemets there have it. I’ve seen recipes where you can sub in other things for the liqueur but if I can’t find fresh cherries, I might not bother.

Sucks that it’s weirdly hard to get outside of the Dr. Oetker brand in stores and even that is more for baking than drinks, despite the “cocktailbär” (literally cocktail berry) name. They aren’t in syrup and more like an odd film. It works in a pinch but having had proper maraschino cherries, it’s a tiring substitute.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sounds like you know what you're doing then, sorry if I was overstating the obvious. It just seems to be a common, and completely understandable, misconception.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Someone post that video of the maraschino cherry making process where the executive doesn't know how to pronounce it

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I feel like oleo citrate/super juice is really catching on. Want to try it but I'm just one dude at home, technique better suited to a bar program. Long believed citrus peels give you more complex goodness than just juice.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Comb Your Beard posted:

I feel like oleo citrate/super juice is really catching on.

First time i see a meme arise in the bartending world. Suddenly every boozetuber is making their version of it, all in the last few weeks

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Just made super lime at work yesterday and I'm fully convinced. Less waste, higher yield, better flavor, longer shelf life. I can make a bunch at the beginning of the week and then my bartenders don't have to juice before the shift. Hell yes.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

That sounds like a good combo. I love Antica, but sometimes it can be oversweet for me. Cocchi Torino is definitely on the dry side, so they should balance each other out nicely

I think this is why I prefer Punt e Mes. I feel like it hits all the other notes without the sweetness.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If you're not drinking Punt e Mes, are you even in a 70s Italian exploitation flick right now? Get on my level.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

From what I can Google super juice sounds very similar to Morgenthalers line cordial. I guess minus the sugar, is that right?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sorta. Sub in citric and malic acids for the sugar and cut the oleo with water, then add the lime juice and that’s basically it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Made my first ever Mai Tai (and first ever Tiki)

Quite a project!
Bought 3 new bottles of Rum, types i have never used before. Only ever used that generic Bacardi for Mojito and Long Island Icetea. Now i have a 7 year old Havana Club, a 3 year old Havana Club, and an Agricole i cant remember the name of.
First ever bottle of Curacao (not entirely sure the difference between this and the spirit called Triple Sec or Cointreau (i know Curacao is a Triple Sec type of spirit, but Triple Sec is also a specific product, or something)
Had to make orgeat, which was a project in itself because tracking down orange blossom water and rose water was not easy.

Hoooo boy this stuff is good. I love any kind of citrusy flavours, and the almond from orgeat is great.

This drink is built very differently from how i like my drinks though. Im not a sipper so i need drinks with large volumes, but i am also not that interested in getting drunk so i need a lot of soda, tonic, etc in my drinks.
Mai Tai is almost entirely booze in a glass of crushed ice. Even an hour after making it and trying to dillute it with all the ice its still too boozy for me.

Any tips on what i can mix in it to still keep it Mai Tai'ish or Tiki'ish while increasing the drinkable volume? Pineapple juice? Orange juice?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How long should homemade orgeat (with an ounce of brandy added) keep in the fridge?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I feel like these questions tend towards defaulting to a couple of week/up to a month, but it's more about the fact that it's really hard to have a specific recommendation for folks doing things in their home kitchen and better to be safe than sorry. I guess it's also relevant to how much sugar you added in too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Wrong thread. Oops. Won't even let me remove the attachment. So, enjoy some pizza?

Ummmm, drink more Trinidad sours!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 10, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hey, so my partner bought commercial mead as a joke, and it tastes like honey dipped pennies. I have been tasked to be rid of it, what can I use it in?

(May also use this for decent mead as well)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Randomly started talking to the bar owner this weekend in St Louis as I was getting a Boulevardier delivered to my table and got talking about Cynar. Lo and behold, the conversation ended up "Yeah, I've got the 70. Want a bottle?"

So, score!

Also, I need some ideas for non-boulevardier uses for Cynar 70.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

teen witch posted:

Hey, so my partner bought commercial mead... what can I use it in?

The drain

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Not every bottle needs to be drunk. It's not like alcohol is good for you, don't force yourself to down it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Also, I need some ideas for non-boulevardier uses for Cynar 70.
A friend of mine loves it in black manhattans.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kenning posted:

Not every bottle needs to be drunk. It's not like alcohol is good for you, don't force yourself to down it.

I know, but it’s such a small amount left and my stubbornness wants to find some use for it outside of space hog. It has potential (but I do understand your concern. I am just stubborn for this one particular bottle)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had a few Negronis (Tanqueray, Cocchi Di Torino, Campari) and to be honest I wasn't all that much a fan. The Grapefruit Negroni I had was a okayish.

This weekend I'm going to go for some Airport Martinis (Tanqueray, Martini Dry)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I had a few Negronis (Tanqueray, Cocchi Di Torino, Campari) and to be honest I wasn't all that much a fan. The Grapefruit Negroni I had was a okayish.

This weekend I'm going to go for some Airport Martinis (Tanqueray, Martini Dry)

Try a better gin and play with the proportions.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'll play with the proportions, but you can take my Tanqueray from my cold, dead hands

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

I'll play with the proportions, but you can take my Tanqueray from my cold, dead hands

Tanqueray is fine, but there are better gins for Negronis

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Tanqueray is fine, but there are better gins for Negronis

Do you think that the orange in Flor de Sevilla would compliment it, or would the sweetness go against the vermouth and Campari?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Do you like Campari in other applications? A lot of people I know didn’t like it at first, but came around to loving bitter drinks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've never had it before, but I'm willing to keep trying it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Do you think that the orange in Flor de Sevilla would compliment it, or would the sweetness go against the vermouth and Campari?

No that would be great. You typically garnish negroni with orange anyway, and the slight added sweetness would balance the Campari nicely. You can also try to make another with what you have, but with more gin (like 1.25/1/1)