Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bicyclops posted:

awesome, lol. I've been mostly leveling int because I can't make up my mind between str and dex for weapons

There's an incredibly sick unique weapon i've seen people use that's apparently str/dex/fai/int lol. Thinking about leveling them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Spanish Manlove posted:

drat, crucible knights don't gently caress around

need my boy hanbei to show up so I can practice the parrying timing some more, those knights wreck me

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Went exploring in the Academy last night, and found a way down the the courtyard

Got killed by an Iron Maiden-looking thing, and it spit me out super far north in the Volcano Manor, holy poo poo :aaaaa:

There’s a shitton more to the map than I thought!

This game keeps destroying my sense of scale.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

got just about enough END now to use the Guts UGS without being completely naked but I'm not 100% sold on it compared to my claymore. It feels just a little too slow for this game, the claymore already has difficulty with some of the speedier enemies. Starting to think all the cool weapons are DEX in this one...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

got just about enough END now to use the Guts UGS without being completely naked but I'm not 100% sold on it compared to my claymore. It feels just a little too slow for this game, the claymore already has difficulty with some of the speedier enemies. Starting to think all the cool weapons are DEX in this one...

Moonlight greatsword is only 18 str :eng101:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In the past two days I've gone from "I love this game but it's so huge I can't see how I'm going to do a second playthrough anytime soon" to planning out the early game gearing-up routes I'm going to take on at least three more characters immediately after I finish this playthrough

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Just got my third Great Rune and talked to the guy in the hold and he says now there are actually 8 Great Runes to get. What the gently caress?

Larry Parrish posted:

I got the first secret one today and lmfao god it's in a portal to a secret area within a secret area. The portal itself is in a random, unmarked corner of a secret area.

Wtf

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

goferchan posted:

There's an incredibly sick unique weapon i've seen people use that's apparently str/dex/fai/int lol. Thinking about leveling them all

for all the "you definitely need to level this" advice out there, it feels like you can make most things work, but one way or another you will also lament all the cool weapons and armor that don't work for it. i've been holding off because everyone has been talking about all the cool str weapons but maybe i just want to be a dex fighter

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

In the past two days I've gone from "I love this game but it's so huge I can't see how I'm going to do a second playthrough anytime soon" to planning out the early game gearing-up routes I'm going to take on at least three more characters immediately after I finish this playthrough

it's loving insane, lol. my other game right now is yakuza 6 which is, by any definition, a really good game, but while i'm playing it, i'm thinking of which places on the elden ring map i have to get back to and also planning future characters.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Bicyclops posted:

for all the "you definitely need to level this" advice out there, it feels like you can make most things work, but one way or another you will also lament all the cool weapons and armor that don't work for it. i've been holding off because everyone has been talking about all the cool str weapons but maybe i just want to be a dex fighter

Respec is possible after a certain story boss so you can always change it up. There are also talismans that give you like +5 to a given stat if you need it in a pinch. The crazy thing to me is that there are so many items with like 60-70 required in a stat.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i cant believe i never found this enormous mega-dragon surrounded by regular sized dragons in caelid lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

This is one of the best signs of a good rear end game imo. Seeing poo poo I would use if I didn’t like my current setup is such a good feeling.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.

Quarterroys posted:

Went exploring in the Academy last night, and found a way down the the courtyard

Got killed by an Iron Maiden-looking thing, and it spit me out super far north in the Volcano Manor, holy poo poo :aaaaa:

There’s a shitton more to the map than I thought!

This game keeps destroying my sense of scale.

Lol I thought that rumor about the Iron Maiden was just Patches loving with me, pretty cool.

Went to Frenzy town, and got a sweet eye laser beam incantation out of it, also some of the puzzles are pretty interesting, some require certain gestures or clothes items. The windmill village was pretty cool, boss was suitably freaky and got a sweet twinblade out of it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i love how sketchy all the questgiver NPCs are lol. every time i finish a quest i sit around wondering if i did the right thing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

i cant believe i never found this enormous mega-dragon surrounded by regular sized dragons in caelid lol

I was on my way back from, uh, somewhere and passed one of the normal dragons which wasn't doing all its moves, I nearly killed it over the course of several minutes then got clipped by a stomp and killed. I tried it another few times and it one-shot me with tail whips every time so I gave up, set a map marker and rode past it, only to meet three of the same dragon 30 seconds later all bunched together

Edit: I opened another chest and my map got bigger again

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 3, 2022

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
this game is beyond being 3 dark souls sequels in one imho. it should be placed in the same group of games that are uniquely special that will stand the test of time like dragon quest XI or disco elysium. from had to not make elden ring 6 times to make this one and i think im going to avoid guides or tips and tricks videos forever to help keep it fresh as long as possible.

i do wonder what NG+ will be like and what changes there could be, I'll probably respec once before starting it then step away from the game for awhile but that could be a month or so from now.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i totally missed the plague dragon on the way to radahn because it looked like a rock, suddenly seeing the boss bar appear and the music ramping up had my heart racing to try to find any site of grace

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Nutmeg posted:

this game is beyond being 3 dark souls sequels in one imho. it should be placed in the same group of games that are uniquely special that will stand the test of time like dragon quest XI or disco elysium. from had to not make elden ring 6 times to make this one and i think im going to avoid guides or tips and tricks videos forever to help keep it fresh as long as possible.

i do wonder what NG+ will be like and what changes there could be, I'll probably respec once before starting it then step away from the game for awhile but that could be a month or so from now.

I'm staying far away from any details but apparently people just found a secret ending yesterday which is insane to me considering it's been out for a week and how many people are playing this 14 hours a day. Feel like people are going to be discovering new little things in this for a looooong time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I can't believe how much content there is in this game and how confident FROM is to not spoonfeed it all to you

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

goferchan posted:

I'm staying far away from any details but apparently people just found a secret ending yesterday which is insane to me considering it's been out for a week and how many people are playing this 14 hours a day. Feel like people are going to be discovering new little things in this for a looooong time

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I can't believe how much content there is in this game and how confident FROM is to not spoonfeed it all to you

its insane and awesome, but kinda rock and a hard place for me. i'll never have the patience to experiment to find secret and alternative endings on my own as with previous from games, so i may have to dip into a guide to get different endings in the future to see it all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Saw a tweet about ER selling super well then saw this in the replies lol

https://twitter.com/rburnand/status/1499413253662908422?s=21

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Saw a tweet about ER selling super well then saw this in the replies lol

https://twitter.com/rburnand/status/1499413253662908422?s=21

Have you ever felt a curse? With your whole being, the pox upon life itself.
Feared and despised by all. The Reviled blessing. Apparently not.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Buying Elden rings thinking it’s elder scrolls is so funny

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Foul Todd… Thou’rt unfit even to graft.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mbt posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Got Rodrick to within 1 hit of death and somehow managed to skip him fully going phase two and then the servers went offline. gently caress this rat turd of a game.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mbt posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I was definitely overleveled for the weeping peninsula since everything in castle morne died in like 1-2 hits. Might do some summon signing for a bit to grind up since I feel like I’m underleveled for other stuff

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wormskull posted:

Got Rodrick to within 1 hit of death and somehow managed to skip him fully going phase two and then the servers went offline. gently caress this rat turd of a game.

ive been playing in offline mode since i saw my tenth “try tongue but hole”

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

scary ghost dog posted:

ive been playing in offline mode since i saw my tenth “try tongue but hole”

Its funny when people put messages right next to interact able stuff so when I'm trying to run around looting stuff while chased by monsters I read "I wanna go home" instead of grabbing an item.

Every time it makes me do the :razz: face

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was definitely overleveled for the weeping peninsula since everything in castle morne died in like 1-2 hits. Might do some summon signing for a bit to grind up since I feel like I’m underleveled for other stuff

it definitely felt like a practice run of stormveil, and the boss was like a simplified version of margit first phase. wish i'd done it before

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Anxious about advancing the story any further I decided to wander down to the Weeping Peninsula and farm some mob gear sets and uhh, I've discovered like 5 big things I just completely missed on my first passthrough of the area. And I thought I was being thorough! The density of content in this game is insane.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I play offline but mostly because there are a few developer specific messages are inended to give you useful information or guide you, and they're basically impossible to see with all the other messages.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I did find a hidden item because a message simply said "try right" and then to the right was a path you could drop down to that I didn't notice at first.

Kinda evens out all the annoying bits like when messages covered the summons in the radahn fight

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Foul Todd… Thou’rt unfit even to graft.

I may be small, but I will die a colossus.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

there's enough content in this game that i'm pretty comfortable just playing it in offline mode for now.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I have no idea how much more game there is, but I have 4 great runes. I'm kind of overwhelmed and stunned, I keep going through cycles of feeling overpowered and then the game manages to throw some new wild poo poo at me, and I'm like level 110 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I wish I had more time to play. I'm still on one rune and went back to the peninsula today and found a bunch of poo poo that I missed. I hope I live to see the end of this game