Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Razzled posted:

you all disgust me, CA needs to return to its purist heritage.

motorcycles only

Replace the wave with a wheelie. If they don't/can't wheelie back, they're not a real biker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

Replace the wave with a wheelie. If they don't/can't wheelie back, they're not a real biker.

Scooters are literally the easiest vehicles on Earth to wheelie.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

If it has two wheels in tandem configuration and a motor, it's a motorcycle. Yes, e-bikes and Bird scooters are motorcycles.

Hoverboards, tricycles (including the Niken and the MP3), Segways, and quadbikes are not motorcycles.

I rode an e-bike recently and it's hard to put across just how terrifying it is to have small motorbike performance in something with borderline decorative brakes and suspension, held together with lovely screws and plastic. Definitely a motorcycle if you try pushing it on one, the terror is just as real as you get on a literbike.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's true. Just put your feet down, pull the front up, and run

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's fine. I think someone who wheelies their scooter is cooler than someone who rides a big bike and doesn't.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wave at steamrollers.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

That's fine. I think someone who wheelies their scooter is cooler than someone who rides a big bike and doesn't.

As the latter, this is correct

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

By that definition motorcycles are not motorcycles because motorcycles don’t have motors, they have engines.

Electric motorcycles have motors!

A motor is something that turns any form of energy into mechanical energy. An engine is something that turns heat energy into some other form of energy.

Electric motorcycles have motors. Gas motorcycles have motors that are also engines.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Deeters posted:

💯

if you can’t wheelie you’re a dork

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’ve been googling how to clutch up wheelie….

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just smack the throttle open, hth

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just smack the throttle open, hth

321cc needs a clutch up under me.

I’m tipsy browsing local moto dealers and the Kawasaki one has 36 KLRs either in stock or has vins assigned (assume this means they are on the way).

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 1, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

It’ll probably still loft the front, even if it’s just a little babby wheelie. If you try to clutch up first it’s probably going to come up way more than you’re expecting. Don’t let me stop you!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Deeters posted:

One of the first waves i had returned when i first got a bike was a guy on a dual sport that responded with a wheelie

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Toe Rag posted:

It’ll probably still loft the front, even if it’s just a little babby wheelie. If you try to clutch up first it’s probably going to come up way more than you’re expecting. Don’t let me stop you!

Just make sure to record it, for the rest of us to laugh at analyze.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

I’m tipsy browsing local moto dealers and the Kawasaki one has 36 KLRs either in stock or has vins assigned (assume this means they are on the way).

I’m 6’3” and not a featherweight and my 90cc RV90 will wheelie on throttle only. It’s much more about rear end positioning than horsepower

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Just make sure to record it, for the rest of us to laugh at analyze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL5MZtB7BsE

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m 6’3” and not a featherweight and my 90cc RV90 will wheelie on throttle only. It’s much more about rear end positioning than horsepower

I think this is expected with a tiny bike, short wheel base etc and the earlier comments about how easy it is to wheelie scooters. Even sitting far back in the seat scoop and pinning the throttle from a stop I haven't felt the front end come up... i mean maybe it could have and I didn't notice?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I think this is expected with a tiny bike, short wheel base etc and the earlier comments about how easy it is to wheelie scooters. Even sitting far back in the seat scoop and pinning the throttle from a stop I haven't felt the front end come up... i mean maybe it could have and I didn't notice?

Your bike is relatively sporty, which means it's relatively front heavy and the designer tried to put you fairly far forwards in the wheelbase. If you could sit on the pillion pad and still operate the controls it would pop right up.

I'm learning this from the other direction trying to learn to manual a bicycle. The clutch/engine pop is analogous to suddenly flinging your meat backwards to make the front rise on a bicycle ie if you could just sit back far enough compared to the wheelbase, it would happen automatically.

Dumb kind of related anecdote: I recently worked on a Suzuki rv50 child's quad. 2t engine with a centrifugal clutch and no transmission or suspension. So yeah, straight away you're pulling sick wheelies. But after I got bored, I found it was a struggle to just ride it back to the shed. Just sitting in the seat normally would put the weight so far to the rear that despite the front tyres never leaving the ground, I could turn the steering to the stops and still travel in a straight line. I had to stand up and put myself directly over the bars to get any kind of steering authority.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah you have to sit over the bars on those kids quads to get them to steer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

I dunno I’ve never had to clutch up any bike that I’ve owned, actually.

Maybe it’s my long torso and giant head putting the center of gravity up high

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So, where are the videos of you doing power wheelies on the Oldwing? :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sorry, I should have clarified, every bike that CAN wheelie.

I dont have the gumption to try to wheelie the Goldwing, nor do I have the appetite for the U-Joint replacement that would likely be necessary afterwards. I also really didnt try to wheelie my CB750 because I didnt trust it to not go into a tankslapper and/or bend the forks when it landed

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty sure the forks would explode coming back down

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont have the gumption to try to wheelie the Goldwing, nor do I have the appetite for the U-Joint replacement that would likely be necessary afterwards.

I'd be more worried about swaging the exhaust tips back into shape

(I've got maybe 2" of lift at the most out of my Rex but I sit way far forward and I'm petrified of hurting the precious

I mean moreso than I already have done)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Pretty sure the forks would explode coming back down

They have Hondas patented TRAC Anti-Dive system, making them ideally suited to landing bag-scraping 12 O'clockers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It looks like you almost HAVE to have a passenger to wheelie a goldwing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MO-vrFSZl8&t=164s

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

I'd be more worried about swaging the exhaust tips back into shape

(I've got maybe 2" of lift at the most out of my Rex but I sit way far forward and I'm petrified of hurting the precious

I mean moreso than I already have done)

I was never able to wheelie my rex until a GTR decided to race me at the lights and I used full throttle in first with a lot more vigour than ever before and whoa nellie

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0hv0NEvXWI&t=1170s

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It looks like you almost HAVE to have a passenger to wheelie a goldwing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MO-vrFSZl8&t=164s

Is that a turbo goldwing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont have the gumption to try to wheelie the Goldwing, nor do I have the appetite for the U-Joint replacement that would likely be necessary afterwards. I also really didnt try to wheelie my CB750 because I didnt trust it to not go into a tankslapper and/or bend the forks when it landed

My mate still has the broken number plate trophy from a bet that he couldn't wheelie a Goldwing. Had to stand on the back seat to do it, but he did it.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I finally learned to loft my front wheel consistently in first. Now I'm just working on balancing so I can hold it for longer.

But a lot of tutorials say to use second gear, and I can't get the front to come up at all there, even close to the redline. Is there a different technique?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
more clutch, find where the torque band starts and use it. scoot back on the seat. way back. cover your brake. have fun.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Consider compressing the front forks and give her the piss when it rebounds up along with letting out the clutch. You shouldn't even have to lean back much. Just cover the rear brake.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

more clutch, find where the torque band starts and use it. scoot back on the seat. way back. cover your brake. have fun.

this. rear brake will always save ya so keep it covered and you’ll be golden!

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I'm terrible about rear brake coverage and always rely on engine braking to bring the front down and therefore anytime I'm on a 2 stroke this will happen: https://streamable.com/3t3ry4

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

right arm posted:

this. rear brake will always save ya so keep it covered and you’ll be golden!

Me, covering the front brake, unaware of how things are about to go.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I realized I was bad at clutch-ups when I couldn't do them reliably on a goddamned KTM SMC. The FZ-9 will do power wheelies pretty easy but I've seen more than a handful of people complain about fragging the clutch basket on theirs and the only reason they could think of was doing clutch ups, so I'm not keen on using it to practice.

I need a beater DRZ or an honest-to-god dirtbike

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I ride an older 250 2T KTM often enough and I still can't pull em off. I can lift the front easily enough, but I lack the commitment to give it more and keep it up and that's despite riding in mostly soft sand all the time. I just suck and want to avoid crashing as much as possible

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A couple years ago I thought the front pads on the Rex were hosed, so I bought a new set. Then I found out that the brake design is such that the pads are just kind of rattly and loose when they're not engaged, and there was still a lot of life left in them, so I sent the new ones back.

They're actually thin now and I just paid $20 more than I did back then for a fresh set. Dolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Spare parts aren't milk. They won't go bad. Keep that old carburetor forever. Frame that circumspect air filter purchase. Hang it up on the wall.