Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Griffin picked Irvin as his horse in the GOP primary for the governor's race:

quote:

Aurora Mayor Richard Irvin’s quest for the Republican nomination for governor was formally backed Monday by Ken Griffin, setting the stage for a potential battle of the billionaires if Irvin wins the June 28 primary and the right to face Democratic Gov. J.B. Pritzker in November.

Griffin, the state’s wealthiest person and founder and CEO of the Citadel investment firm, gave Irvin’s campaign $20 million — the first of what is expected to be several big donations to counter Pritzker, a businessman and heir to the Hyatt Hotel fortune.

“J. B. Pritzker puts politics first and refuses to address the crime that is tearing apart our state, cities and families. I firmly believe Richard Irvin has the character and leadership needed to again make Illinois a place where people can feel safe to live, raise a family and pursue their dreams,” Griffin, worth $26.1 billion according to Forbes, said in a statement.

“Richard Irvin is self-made, and his life story epitomizes the American dream,” Griffin said of the first Black mayor of the state’s second largest city. “I have tremendous respect for all that he has accomplished.”

Also holy moly, the money being spent to lead the state:

quote:

Pritzker has already poured $125.5 million of his own money into his reelection campaign, including a $90 million deposit in January.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-ken-griffin-richard-irvin-governor-20220214-rfprlaq4hffs7f6qb44kwyttm4-story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

School mask mandates are over in Illinois.

JCAR ruled 9-0-2 to not renew the mask mandate. Ds said that they could not vote for it since a court was currently deciding whether it was valid or not.

However, that court is now wondering whether the TRO case is moot or not.

I think this was an easy way for the Ds to save face while ending the mandate since the indoor mandate is over March 1st.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Covid days are here again!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Maybe we can ask the virus to take a break for a couple of days while we figure this poo poo out

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

We couldn't even wrap the loving Omicron wave up before setting ourselves up for failure. The bodies aren't even cold yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess those truck drivers up in Canada was the last step in beating the pandemic, good job truckers.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Willa Rogers posted:

Griffin picked Irvin as his horse in the GOP primary for the governor's race:

Also holy moly, the money being spent to lead the state:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-ken-griffin-richard-irvin-governor-20220214-rfprlaq4hffs7f6qb44kwyttm4-story.html

Going to laugh real hard if Irvin doesn’t even get past the primaries. That’s a lot of money though, so maybe it’ll push him over the line.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I have this hope that omicron burned through my area. This combined with the folks vaccinated I hope our numbers at my school don’t spike. It’s been a week and a half and it’s been pretty quiet. Hopefully it stays that way.

At my school there are only 5 teachers who wear a mask. Two of them got covid from the school most likely anyway.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yup, just got a letter from Unit 5 saying, basically,

"Look, we're as confused as you are, and we've gotten basically no direction, and man do we wish we had a few more days, but it appears the school mask mandate is over? So I guess they're optional now."

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Most of the teachers in my building went immediately mask off on Monday. It's great.

oh btw had my first two covid absences of the week today
surely they didn't infect anyone on Monday or Tuesday

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I could see if maybe we hadn't made this exact same mistake almost exactly a year ago but I've basically surrendered to the fact that we live in a clown world so I'm just gonna use this masks off period to restock on N95s.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Gym class was cancelled for my older daughter because too many kids took their masks off and the teachers didn't feel it was safe. Meanwhile, a kid tried to rip the mask off of my nephew, and other kids harassed my younger daughter to take hers off and called her weird for wearing it.

Thanks a lot, chuds.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I’m sorry your daughter had shitheads mess with her. rear end in a top hat kids learn from rear end in a top hat parents. I’ve had the same. Multiple days my daughter would come home crying because kids were assholes and picking on her fur wearing one.

I called the principal to ask her about it and she never called me back.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lager posted:

Gym class was cancelled for my older daughter because too many kids took their masks off and the teachers didn't feel it was safe. Meanwhile, a kid tried to rip the mask off of my nephew, and other kids harassed my younger daughter to take hers off and called her weird for wearing it.

Thanks a lot, chuds.

And Illinois legislators

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
need to organize the masked kids into bullying the unmasked ones by calling them plague rats and pelting them with cheese

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Nash posted:

I’m sorry your daughter had shitheads mess with her. rear end in a top hat kids learn from rear end in a top hat parents. I’ve had the same. Multiple days my daughter would come home crying because kids were assholes and picking on her fur wearing one.

I called the principal to ask her about it and she never called me back.

Speaking from experience from 20+ years ago, no one at the school cares if your kid gets picked on. They might care if it starts a fight.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I teach and I am the only one staff and students who is regularly wearing a mask. All the kids and staff are cool with it though so I have just gotten a few “you know you can stop wearing a mask” questions.

I had a discussion with my wife and daughters about wearing masks. Everyone in the family is vaccinated and my wife was obsessive about washing hands before this all happened. We told the girls (11 and 9) that they did not have to wear a mask if they chose not too. My oldest asked me if I was still going to wear a mask to school (a different school than them) and I said that I would until March 1st (the infections and hospitalizations dropping are a good sign but I am prepared to put it back on if things get bad again). They both said that they would wear their masks until then too.

The idea that other families are not having similar conversations and instead it is “Pritzker sucks and the virus is not real” blows my mind.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Speaking from experience from 20+ years ago, no one at the school cares if your kid gets picked on. They might care if it starts a fight.

Oh I know. I work at the HS in the district but am not from the area originally. It’s super apparent that even when I go to my higher ups when legit awful bullying is happening that they don’t give a poo poo. Our super is a slimy people pleaser who happily throws any and all staff under the bus to make a parent happy if said parent has a big last name. Mostly to get teacher grades overturned. Guess since I work there and am vocal about the horseshit that goes on my kids really don’t matter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just saw an ad for Irvin for Governor and it was so ridiculous that I thought it was a parody at first.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Was it the him yelling “all lives matter” while in the front seat of a car?

I just want them to mortally wound each other for the next several months.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Suntimes/status/1496269174548619268?s=20&t=MBOaz-uLvm0kR2ONBRRFDg

priztker and white have both endorsed valencia for SoS

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Good. Giannoulias is the useless gently caress who gave us six years of US Senator Mark Kirk.

Don’t let the failson blow Sec of State right when Republicans are trying to cancel voting.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hadn't even heard that White was finally retiring, drat.

...Or maybe I did and just forgot? IDK, time has no meaning anymore.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

What is going to happen to all those helpless Tumblers?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Anna Valencia Tumblers sounds fine

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

Hadn't even heard that White was finally retiring, drat.

...Or maybe I did and just forgot? IDK, time has no meaning anymore.

He's 87

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

People can be forgiven for not knowing he’s retiring. When a dude is that old and still in office, you just think he’ll be there until he dies.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/jmetr22b/status/1499127499732754432?s=21

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao finally

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Woulda been nice any time in the last 40 years but OK lmao

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Madigan looks like an Eli Valley cartoon ghoul in that pic.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Now they just gotta make it stick.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ladies and gentlemen, we got him. Maybe.

At least he’ll actually have to go to court, assuming he doesn’t plea out or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or die. He looks like a corpse already.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/royalpratt/status/1499367993888972800

the Sausage King of Chicago

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ngl that's a hard bar.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/paschutz/status/1499137610249388034

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Reelect her.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ooof, agreeing to the crime words..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/BYCTOM/status/1499416214736670724

https://twitter.com/BYCTOM/status/1499417103912378374