Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Got an email from an executive recruiter.

"Dear <deadname>

I read over your linkedin and found it impressive blah blah blah"

I changed my name on my linkedin over a year ago now. do these jackasses even try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

mattfl posted:

A ticket came in, somehow from a patient staying in the hospital?

Sounds like it's affecting patient care and you should drop what you're doing to address it

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Happiness Commando posted:

Sounds like it's affecting patient care and you should drop what you're doing to address it

Yeah, I care less about patient opinions after that ticket, and I am addressing it by setting up a firewall rule to hellthrottle those iPads on a rotating semirandom basis throughout the day.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah, I care less about patient opinions after that ticket, and I am addressing it by setting up a firewall rule to hellthrottle those iPads on a rotating semirandom basis throughout the day.

AV/post combo :discourse:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

I changed my name on my linkedin over a year ago now. do these jackasses even try?

Sorry. :(

No, no they don't.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry. :(

No, no they don't.

I'm not as sensitive about my old name as some people, but its indicative of how much effort is being put in.

I'll talk to the people who bother getting my name right, and reply to emails like that with snarky retorts about needing to actually look at my linkedin if they are gonna claim they did

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

"Dear <deadname>

Just this week I got a call from one who I had stopped replying to emails from because she decided to not pay attention to the fact that I had left the country she was recruiting for.

I'm not entirely convinced that they don't just automate the process sometimes TBH.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

yeah. its just like... all you are doing is wasting everyones time and making sure you don't get a bite from anyone actually qualified

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

RFC2324 posted:

"Dear <deadname>

lol, no. Recruiters are lovely and just trying to get a quick buck, generally.

There are some some good ones out there, but I haven't met many.

My favorite was the one that pinged me for a pretty cool opportunity. I told them up front that I was looking for $X to make a move and he told me that was absolutely within the range, no problem.

Resume submitted, phone interview, in person interview, all went great. Really liked the people and the company. Offer comes in at $X - $30k. "Yeah, I don't know why he told you that, this is the range". And funnily enough that recruiter ghosted before I could even ask about it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

at least the one who pinged me with my actual name came back with something good. 140-150k, so I am talking to him tomorrow.

current job is paying me a joke, and even the 20% raise I just got is still a fraction of what the market is offering. I was giving them til that raise to make things right, but *drat* 150k is more than twice what I am making

never accept a job offer while terminally depressed lol

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

RFC2324 posted:

at least the one who pinged me with my actual name came back with something good. 140-150k, so I am talking to him tomorrow.

current job is paying me a joke, and even the 20% raise I just got is still a fraction of what the market is offering. I was giving them til that raise to make things right, but *drat* 150k is more than twice what I am making

Hey, we all make mistakes. Don't let one become permanent, though. Chase that paper, and don't tell them what you're making now. Good luck!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Geesh, that's pretty hosed. I'd definitely entertain a 150k base offer, but it's far from double where I'm at now. I hope things like this continue and fewer employers abuse people like that.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Chase that paper, and don't tell them what you're making now. Good luck!

So much this. I made that mistake with "Large Regional Insurance Company" and surprisingly the offer was barely more than what I was at. When you added the increase in commute, it was a wash at best.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 2, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sad part is, I *like* my current job and workplace. if it weren't for the fact that I am struggling to pay my bills when I have over a decade as a linux admin I wouldn't even consider leaving

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

You know the negotiation thread exist, right? If not: go read it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A rejection email came in :smith:

Better luck next time

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

larchesdanrew posted:

Better luck next time

Last time i got rejected I got another similar offer in less than a month.

Take a couple days to chill and take your mind off things. Then search for some more gigs next week!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

larchesdanrew posted:

Better luck next time

Sorry goon friend. :( I know you were looking forward to that one. I hope it motivates you to cast a wider net and hopefully find something even better!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Better luck next time

Well, that sucks. But there will be more.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

Better luck next time

Maybe if you sent a thank you note the circumstances would be different

But condolences I know the pain

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

larchesdanrew posted:

Better luck next time

At least they had the courtesy to let you know that instead of just ghosting you for the month, I guess.
Better luck next time!

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

Better luck next time

That sucks every time, but even more so if you were hyped up about the prospect. :( My sympathies, fellow goon.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

sixth and maimed posted:

That sucks every time, but even more so if you were hyped up about the prospect.

It was just my dream job is all.

I'm fine :unsmith:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Just send the hiring manage a $20 gift card as a thank you for their consideration! That way when you apply again later, you have a better chance!

(actual advice I saw somewhere this week)

(what the gently caress)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

Of course you're fine. Nothing can stop larches, it can only delay her.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ConfusedUs posted:

Just send the hiring manage a $20 gift card as a thank you for their consideration! That way when you apply again later, you have a better chance!

(actual advice I saw somewhere this week)

(what the gently caress)

Hmm, yes, I'm sure my interviewer accepting an obvious bribe could never backfire

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Every dream job I thought I had turned out to be a loving nightmare. I prefer to have the lowest expectations of any employment offered and be pleasantly surprised when it isn’t a hosed up shitshow

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Hmm, yes, I'm sure my interviewer accepting an obvious bribe could never backfire

If your interviewer can be swayed by $20, the bribe isn't your real problem.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Keep at it! apply again in a few months when the other pick doesn't work out.

The resume/trend/meme of thank you cards is overblown; but if you genuinely want towork at a place? It doesn't hurt to ask them to keep your resume on file.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I once got turned down at an interview at a dream job because I showed too much initiative starting up a project at a previous job. I only told them about it because I was really proud of that project. :smith:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I once got turned down at an interview at a dream job because I showed too much initiative starting up a project at a previous job. I only told them about it because I was really proud of that project. :smith:

Bullet dodged I'd say.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Sywert of Thieves posted:

too much initiative:

Since when the gently caress is initiative a bad thing?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I knew someone who applied for a programmer job at an insurance company. They told her they want her to have zero initiative and zero creativity. Just program what we tell you to.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

To be fair, it is prime boomer advice. It's both unethical and unlikely to work because the fucker giving the advice is a cheap gently caress.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thomamelas posted:

To be fair, it is prime boomer advice. It's both unethical and unlikely to work because the fucker giving the advice is a cheap gently caress.

I remember my step dad ruining a perfect job setup for me with dumb rear end boomer advice.

"Walk down there and talk to them EVERY DAY til you get an answer"

"Well, we were waiting for the old guy to leave next month, but you annoyed us so badly that now the answer is no."

At least I stopped getting boomer employment advice after that. Shame it also meant I ended up homeless because I didn't get the job

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Better luck next time

At least you got a rejection email, and didn't get ghosted like so many places tend to do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

At least you got a rejection email, and didn't get ghosted like so many places tend to do.

Or you get one like eight months later

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A couple years back, my boss quit, and recommended me for his job. I put a lot of sweat into the perfect cover letter, got my resume updated, and generally put my heart into it. I got the auto-generated "thank you for your application but no" email before his boss could be bothered to tell me that they'd decided to eliminate the position entirely but he was going to promote me anyway.

My boss means well, and he's a genuinely nice guy face-to-face, but sometimes his communication outside of face-to-face makes me want to track him down and slap him with a good-sized muskie. I almost went with trout, but a muskie is bigger and smellier, and that better fits my current frame of mind.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D34THROW posted:

Since when the gently caress is initiative a bad thing?
The only thing worse than being told it's a bad thing is being told to take it and then having every suggestion flat out shot down with zero consideration. One of the reasons I decided not to make a go of datacenter work after all was even simple things like "hey can we re-arrange the stock spreadsheet so the items on it match the wall bins?" getting the response of "but that's not how the system works".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

The only thing worse than being told it's a bad thing is being told to take it and then having every suggestion flat out shot down with zero consideration. One of the reasons I decided not to make a go of datacenter work after all was even simple things like "hey can we re-arrange the stock spreadsheet so the items on it match the wall bins?" getting the response of "but that's not how the system works".

Sounds like an old job of mine.

Boss shot down the following:

Virtualization
Network based backups
Active directory
VLANs
Moving away from Access
Imagine PC's
Merging two MySQL databases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Arquinsiel posted:

The only thing worse than being told it's a bad thing is being told to take it and then having every suggestion flat out shot down with zero consideration.

I've been in this situation as well. Some technology was being EOL'd and I really pushed for replacing it with the modern version. My superior constantly blocked it even when I had it completely ready to go, and even after I did a presentation on it showing this. It collected virtual dust for literal months.

Thankfully our head IT picked up on this and put Mr superior on an off-site project for a few weeks. I pushed the project live two days later, without consulting him. There were zero issues.