Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arist posted:

I need more talisman slots. I assume I can get five? I only have three at the moment.

you can get a maximum of four talisman slots, as far as i know, with the final one being obtained in the royal capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah four is the max

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Still new to all of this. Do base stat requirements for shields matter if I'm only using them for defense? The stat page makes it seem like the penalties only affect their damage potential.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

grease ahead
but hole

I've been having a lot of fun with "magic grease "

Yeah we're having a tarnished party later, being friends and plenty of magic grease :pervert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Harrow posted:

Yeah four is the max

Might slot in that "attack up at max HP" one then when I dive into the capital later.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Question - The red knight in Stormveil, the one with the giant horn on his shield you can run into between Rogier and the tower grace, does he drop anything particularly worthwhile? He seems like he's gonna be an absolute headache to kill, probably harder than the bosses, wondering if it would even be worth it right now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/1499418486501969925?s=21

Radahn claims another one

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

Still new to all of this. Do base stat requirements for shields matter if I'm only using them for defense? The stat page makes it seem like the penalties only affect their damage potential.

You will lose a lot more stamina on block if you don't have the stats for the shield, I think.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

youcallthatatwist posted:

haven't tested it out in a while, but in past from games, wielding a shield without the requisite requirements significantly increases the amount of stamina lost per block

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I beat the moon lady. She was just as annoying as all the other poo poo in his godforsaken academy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s cool to see the cross-over between Elden Ring and Monster Hunter YouTubers going through it since mechanically the combat has a lot of similarity in terms of positioning, weapon variance, and timing of skill use.

Also the whole big loving monsters trying to kill you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If that is who he's talking about then I'm pretty sure he's optional too lol

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Arist posted:

I need more talisman slots. I assume I can get five? I only have three at the moment.

Lol I've got 5 or 6 and none of them have anything equipped

Oh wait, talisman. I read spell somehow

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Harrow posted:

If that is who he's talking about then I'm pretty sure he's optional too lol

Wait Radahn is loving optional? Are you having a laugh? I could have just left the dude chilling and moved on? Don’t you get a great rune from him? I thought I was collecting all of these

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cowcaster posted:

grease ahead
but hole

The 10 million unoriginal "but, hole" and fake "hidden path ahead" messages are obnoxious.

But, I will never stop laughing when I climbed an incredibly tall ladder for nearly a full minute and got to the top to read a bunch of messages in a row that said:

- "Seems familiar..."

Then,

- "Snake?"

and finally,

"Snake, Snake!"

Or someone who put "If only I had lover..." and "Lover Required Ahead" next to the whip weapon you pick up in Caelid.

Or the guy in the Hold who leans against the wall with "Edge, Lord" and "Be wary of Edge" next to him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait Radahn is loving optional? Are you having a laugh? I could have just left the dude chilling and moved on? Don’t you get a great rune from him? I thought I was collecting all of these

You only technically need two Great Runes to start the endgame

A lot of the bosses are optional.

Actually literally all of Caelid is optional. The "main" path up to Altus Plateau requires you to go to Caelid but there are at least two other ways up there that don't.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I'm very unsure about what stats to level going forward. I like straight swords, greatswords and cool hammers. I'm a knight. But I do love using ashes and think spells are cool. But I have know idea how to balance vigor, endurance, strength and dex, as well as if there is room to level mind or arcane or other stuff for fun...

Here are my stats now:

I'm butting heads against Caelid, but it's pretty rough. Should I head into Liurna lakes instead or just level up more?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You only need two great runes to finish unlock the path to the end game, but you get the "bad" ending.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Greenplastic posted:

I'm very unsure about what stats to level going forward. I like straight swords, greatswords and cool hammers. I'm a knight. But I do love using ashes and think spells are cool. But I have know idea how to balance vigor, endurance, strength and dex, as well as if there is room to level mind or arcane or other stuff for fun...

Here are my stats now:

I'm butting heads against Cailid, but it's pretty rough. Should I head into Liurna lakes instead or just level up more?

Caelid is much, much harder than Liurnia. I think I beat the main boss of Liurnia several levels lower than you are right now.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Greenplastic posted:

Here are my stats now:

I'm butting heads against Cailid, but it's pretty rough. Should I head into Liurna lakes instead or just level up more?

Get more Vigor. You don't get much HP per point up to about 20, but after that it ramps up fast, so it's worth it to invest more in it.

Also yes Liurnia is going to be easier on you than Caelid probably.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I can understand people not wanting invasions in their game since I got one when I was fighting a boss and promptly lost because of it. I mean, what's the point? There's no way I can start fighting the invader AND the boss at the same time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ancestor Spirit is a real cool boss, but also so easy, they have so many moves that leave them wide open and you can just leisurely wait them out, slash slash slash, wait them out.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Greenplastic posted:

Here are my stats now:

pump vigor up to 40, as it will significantly improve your survivability going forwards

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Arist posted:

Caelid is much, much harder than Liurnia. I think I beat the main boss of Liurnia several levels lower than you are right now.

Okaaaay, I just assumed past the castle was the endgame :P

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

Here are my stats now:

Caelid is a bad place, possibly the worst place. Liurnia is the intended next region

you can get a pretty good idea of where regions are difficulty-wise from the rune drops. a Vulgar Militia in Raya Lucaria drops around 150 runes. in Caelid it’s over 1000

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You only need two great runes to finish unlock the path to the end game, but you get the "bad" ending.

Define "bad"

As far as I know the "bad ending" is the Flame of Frenzy one. Is that the only one you can do if you only have two Great Runes or something?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The 10 million unoriginal "but, hole" and fake "hidden path ahead" messages are obnoxious.

But, I will never stop laughing when I climbed an incredibly tall ladder for nearly a full minute and got to the top to read a bunch of messages in a row that said:

- "Seems familiar..."

Then,

- "Snake?"

and finally,

"Snake, Snake!"

Or someone who put "If only I had lover..." and "Lover Required Ahead" next to the whip weapon you pick up in Caelid.

Or the guy in the Hold who leans against the wall with "Edge, Lord" and "Be wary of Edge" next to him.

I liked the message in front of a tree that literally just said "tree". This was after a huge gauntlet of enemies in a town and it just cracked me up.

My most liked message was putting a message in front of a pile of potatoes and it said "no fruit ahead"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The souls series experience could probably be described a lot like the stages of grief.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I had my regular scythe equipped, but I probably had the ash on it that gives it holy damage. Maybe that was it.

That'll do it. I ran into the same problem with using holy weapon when I could no longer buff it via incantation.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my most liked message is one i put down in front of the windmill in altus saying "try horseback battle" :shobon:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s cool to see the cross-over between Elden Ring and Monster Hunter YouTubers going through it since mechanically the combat has a lot of similarity in terms of positioning, weapon variance, and timing of skill use.

It's funny you'd say that, because that's why I tried Dark Souls in the first place. I was longing for more Monster Hunter on a proper screen afhter the Wii and WiiU versions, and Dark Souls looked close enough in terms of positioning and committed attacks that I picked it up, even though initially dreading the cringeworthy daaaaaaark theeeeeme. Ended up loving the atmosphere as much as the gameplay. I also picked up Dragon's Dogma for the same reasons, so, thank you Monster Hunter I guess. Plus they finally ended up releasing MH on proper devices with more than a mobile phone screen, taking me back to my roots, yay.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Greenplastic posted:

Here are my stats now:

I'm butting heads against Caelid, but it's pretty rough. Should I head into Liurna lakes instead or just level up more?

Lakes is a lot lower level than Caelid, so it is probably a good option if you are struggling there.

Endurance is a generally all around useful stat. I'd get Vigor up to 25 right away (because it gives you larger bonuses pre-25, so it is a more efficient early stat) and then bump it up towards 40 every other level or so.

Mind is the opposite of vigor. Early levels only give 3 FP, but higher levels give 6. So, mind is less useful to drop a few points in and more useful if you are going all in.

If you want swords/clubs and spells, you could try a strength/faith build.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As someone who was historically never into either game I've always thought MonHun and Soulslike games were very similar.

Dodging simulators with bad item menus and giant blocks of hitpoints.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Vermain posted:

my most liked message is one i put down in front of the windmill in altus saying "try horseback battle" :shobon:

I saw that same message and liked it. There was another one next to the windmill that said "Visions of Giants ahead" that I also liked.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is there a grass crest shield equivalent in the game?

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

actionjackson posted:

Turtle Shell Shield or whatever it is called.

Stamina buff, and comes with a pretty useful Ash of War.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

That would be the Great Turtle Shell.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
At the moment my biggest complaint is that some of the optional bosses either have way too much health, cover too much of the screen when in melee or have too many skills to punish on the way in, at melee range and getting out. Ive plinked down more than one with arrows because trying to get in to do one R1 is so risky.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

actionjackson posted:

There's a turtle shell shield you can get early on in a tower by Castle Morne that is the equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Can I just say after getting porcupined by Marionette Soldiers several times, it's been a pleasure to have some upgraded ones fight on my side. Those two are stunlock MVPs for real.