Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The evil is defeated in 2D. Soon I will defeat him in 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beware that in your zeal to defeat him you do not become him!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm up to getting the canoe in FF1PR and I just realized thanks to having the entire map available I accidentally skipped the hall of giants

I have failed myself and more importantly, I have failed Jack "Chaos" Garland :negative:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I accidentally bought elden ring and I am very concerned that my stranger of paradise journey will be on hold for a long long time. 🙃

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I just saw that one of the Stranger of Paradise DLCs is called Wanderer of the Rift. Could it be... Greg?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CottonWolf posted:

I just saw that one of the Stranger of Paradise DLCs is called Wanderer of the Rift. Could it be... Greg?

100%

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

That is literally the only thing it could be

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
My personal FF tier list

Games I've sunk the most time into:
X-2
Tactics

Not the best gameplay, but games that I've really enjoyed over multiple playthroughs due to story, music, etc:
Legend
Drakengard
Legend 2
Adventure

Played once, they were fine:
Chrono Trigger
Legend 3

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I know XIV had a Nier Automata crossover, but including Drakengard on a top Final Fantasies list is a bridge too far.

And does this mean.... you, gigglefeimer, haven't played FFX??

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

I know XIV had a Nier Automata crossover, but including Drakengard on a top Final Fantasies list is a bridge too far.

"Yuna wanted to go on a journey to find some guy or something. Whatever"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcQQ2_HA8SY

:rock:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
FF tier list:

S Tier:
Mystic Quest

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Would you say setting the FF6PR battle speed faster makes it harder?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rin-wah

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Attitude Indicator posted:

My favorite little thing about FF10 is something that’s never stated, but just assumed, and that is that after Yevon summoned sin during the war to wreck Bevelle the people there went from going «Holy poo poo! Please, Yevon, stop murdering us! We surrender!» to «O holy Yevon. Let us live. Forgive us our sins.»
read the old testament

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Overall FF6PR feels harder than previous incarnations. Ever since hitting the floating continent it has been a struggle.

Ultima Weapon is a force to be reckoned with when it's spamming flare at you for 700-800 damage and everyone barely has 1000 hp. This is also the first time I've ever actually seen it use its Mind Blast ability that throws a shitload of random status effects on the party. The first Humbaba fight was pretty rough as well, and I ended up cheesing it by buying a bunch of super balls from Tzen.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Floating Continent AND the Tentacle fight can both be easily countered with Instant Death spells. Get Break/Death/Raise on Celes asap.

The Ultima Weapon never changes phase if you kill him by rasping his MP away.

The break spell is invaluable for the Wrexsoul fight as well.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 3, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CottonWolf posted:

This is literally the reason why I am thinking "why not just go whole-hog and buy the deluxe edition, you know you're gonna get the dlc anyway. Digital artbook time"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm up to getting the canoe in FF1PR and I just realized thanks to having the entire map available I accidentally skipped the hall of giants

I have failed myself and more importantly, I have failed Jack "Chaos" Garland :negative:

IIRC, the hall of giants got nerfed in PR and there are NPCs you talk to to get into a fight there and you have to leave/re-enter to make the respawn.

CottonWolf posted:

I literally cannot imagine what else it could be.

The dragon king DLC is presumably something with Bahamut and the alternate future one will probably be something to do with the canonical Warrior of Light from Dissidia?

CPColin posted:

FF tier list:

S Tier:
Mystic Quest

:hmmyes:

FFMQ PR would be worth it simply for the soundtrack.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFMQ PR would be worth it simply for the soundtrack.
:yeah: I'd rock the gently caress out to a mq pr soundtrack

From a modern perspective, when you really boil it down, is ffmq really that much worse than 4 on the gameplay front? the more I think about it the more MQ comes off as surprisingly forward thinking. Auto battle, no random encounters, enemies with damaged states, basic action gameplay/puzzle solving in dungeons, game overs don't waste your time

I'm pretty sure I've convinced myself that I'd gladly play ffmq pr if my only other choice was to slog through 4, home of some of the most annoying dungeons and boring party compositions the series has to offer

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
MQ might not have random battles, but nearly all of them on a correct path are mandatory. You can't really skip them. At least in the others you can just run from them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

C'mon Square, give us Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Pixel Remaster. :pray:

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

dolphinbomb posted:

Overall FF6PR feels harder than previous incarnations. Ever since hitting the floating continent it has been a struggle.

Ultima Weapon is a force to be reckoned with when it's spamming flare at you for 700-800 damage and everyone barely has 1000 hp. This is also the first time I've ever actually seen it use its Mind Blast ability that throws a shitload of random status effects on the party. The first Humbaba fight was pretty rough as well, and I ended up cheesing it by buying a bunch of super balls from Tzen.

I think something might be screwy with that first Humbaba fight, I think he runs away a lot faster in the original. Second fight seemed harder too. It's weird, I remember him being fairly simple prior to this version.

The tentacles were the only boss I lost to more than once though. I don't know exactly what the deal is, but when they grab a character it seems like they might be sapping HP much faster than before. Sap/Regen both feel like they tick faster as well, not sure if that's me misremembering though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The reviews tell me that games doesnt have a plot at all.

Those reviews are written by incredibly stupid people.

Whether the plot is good is up to opinion of course (you probably will think it's not unless you're Stux) but the plot is definitely there.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Steam reviews? Don't bother with them and only listen to goons.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I read that SMT V has multiple endings (naturally) and a secret ending. Is it worth going for them all? 3-4 playthroughs sounds like a lot.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Scalding Coffee posted:

Steam reviews? Don't bother with them and only listen to goons.

Kind of the reason why I think epic games store not having user reviews is a feature

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

I read that SMT V has multiple endings (naturally) and a secret ending. Is it worth going for them all? 3-4 playthroughs sounds like a lot.

Speaking as someone who got all four endings: no.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Commander Keene posted:

Nah. Just go all out ala FF7 Remake style. :allears:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

You should follow your heart and get the ending most suited to your personality

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Now that the 6 remake is out when is awful fantasy gonna be updated?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The reviews tell me that games doesnt have a plot at all.

Literally each review I looked at said "this game has a lot of story, maybe too much" in some form so "it doesn't have a plot" seems pretty weird to say?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is literally the reason why I am thinking "why not just go whole-hog and buy the deluxe edition, you know you're gonna get the dlc anyway. Digital artbook time"

What with Elden Ring, I think I’ll probably pick it up down the line when all the DLC’s out. No way I’ll be ready for it when it releases.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

You should follow your heart and get the ending most suited to your personality

Basically this. Rather than having to follow an alignment guide and figure out what responses to give in conversations or what quests to take, SMTV just has a "please choose your ending now" prompt (aside from the secret ending which takes a little more work). If you're only doing one playthrough, your options are: get the ending that fits your personality, that you personally would choose, or you can get the ending that gets you the sweetest bonus stuff (this would be Chaos for the exclusive miracle and extra bonus demon, make sure you choose Chaos responses though which are basically "be an rear end in a top hat to your friends, and say God sucks"), or finally you can get the ending that technically has the most satisfying resolution to the plot and the most story content, which would be the secret ending.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Literally each review I looked at said "this game has a lot of story, maybe too much" in some form so "it doesn't have a plot" seems pretty weird to say?

Who in the world said SMTV had "too much" story? If one short cutscene every few hours is a lot of story....I don't even know what to say. God help them ifhtey played a ergular JRPG.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Who in the world said SMTV had "too much" story? If one short cutscene every few hours is a lot of story....I don't even know what to say. God help them ifhtey played a ergular JRPG.

Sorry I got wires crossed and thought they were talking about Triangle Strategy.

SMTV does have a plot and story as well, it's just not heavy. Though I'd say the idea SMTV doesn't have a plot at all is dumb and those reviews should be ignored.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

I’m playing it too and
1) never played before
2) not using a guide

Got the canoe, finished mt gulug & the ice cavern. At the temple of trials now, and I have no idea what a hall of giants is.

This game *is* a lot of wandering around the world map.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Commander Keene posted:

Good* news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaO71T2Fe-M

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I didn't include games that I started but never finished.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Stranger of Paradise is the kind of game that got memed into prominence that I haven't seen since Metal Wolf Chaos. Whether that's good or bad is still yet to be seen, but Metal Wolf was a pretty decent mech game, and SoP looks to be a pretty good Nioh/FF hybrid, so hopefully it all works out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Schwartzcough posted:

no way, Nier Automata and Dragon Quests 1-3 (and the city of Paris) are absolutely all in the Final Fantasy Extended Multiverse