Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Back when I had an outdoor space to torch a steak I would buy the New York Strip steaks, sous vide and then torch those things for a steak that would cost me $100+ at a restaurant for like $10 and requiring absolutely no cooking skills.

Deviant Ollam is a well-known security researcher who's done some really cool videos (Elevator Hacking from the Pit to the Penthouse is fantastic). As a consultant he basically gets hired to come out and break into various businesses, so he's out there for like a week at a time, which means that he's sort of in that uncomfortable space between trip and permanent stay - eating out for every meal for half of your life would be expensive and you'd get fat as hell. So his solution is - he travels with a sous vide cooker, a blowtorch, and a searzall flame spreader, those components themselves are completely TSA-legal and compact. He picks up a styrofoam cooler and a tank of propane on-site, and then goes to costco to buy steaks.

Here's his video on traveling sous-vide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtFV73wpEAw

And that elevator hacking video - it's really fascinating stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

weekend costco mission on the motorcycle. gonna strap 4 liters of salad dressing to the back of the bike and stuff my backpack with a tub of spring mixed salad and get a hot dog while im out there.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Coredump posted:

The Sukhi's Tikka Masala is one of my go to Costco purchases. Has anyone ever seen any of the Chicken Vindaloo in a costco?

Yes! I sampled it last weekend and it was delicious. But Sukhi's just launched at my local one, so who knows what that means for other stores (or even ongoing availability where I'm at).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

toplitzin posted:

Our Costco had chicken Biriyani in addition to the Tikka, so we're giving that a whirl one night soon.

Where is this? I love biryanis, so an easy one from Sukhi's would be awesome. It really should be a mutton biryani, but I'd still take a chicken one. All I've seen in the Seattle area is the chicken tikka and the coconut curry.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.costco.com/sony-playstation-5-gaming-console-bundle.product.100834763.html

PS5’s allegedly dropping.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-costco-wholesale-pay/costco-raises-minimum-wage-to-16-per-hour-idUSKBN2AP28X

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

why can't I add it to my cart I need to spend 800 dollars to play gran turismo

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

That's good but I'm not sure if it is increasing at the rate of inflation/CPI the way things are going currently. Still would be a much better place to work than McDonald's or Amazon regardless of wage.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The fight for 15 movement is a decade old at this point which is really kind of a bummer, but from what I understand Costco treats their workers pretty well outside of their starting wages. At least it’s better than nothing, which is what basically every other company is doing, and given their relatively benevolent track record it at least shows a good trajectory for the time being :unsmith:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Dropped $500 at Costco today. Forgot to buy the thing I went there for.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Renegret posted:

Praise be.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

How do you forget to buy a hot dog???

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always get mad when I go to the costco near me because it has the food court on the way IN so either you get a dog and wander around with it while trying to push the shopping cart or go back in, leaving your cart full of paid stuff outside to order. I just skip it if I don't have anyone to watch the cart :sigh:

That and the godawful parking lot are the worst things about going to that costco.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Renegret posted:

A tale as old as time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

How do you forget to buy a hot dog???

Still no deli mustard, onions, or sauerkraut.

The dog is just not the same anymore

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Renegret posted:

Yeah. :smith:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I miss the deli mustard and onions but I'll still eat that garbage! Still a great dog, and lately I eat it on the tailgate in the lot, sun shining, drink beside me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Renegret posted:

Just eat em with ketchup like Jim intended.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Got the box of cinnamon rolls, and they were a bit stale already on day 1. They taste fine (lots of cinnamon and sugar and icing), they're apparently good until the end of March, but they're not great.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Guess you need to saute them in butter to open them up a bit

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

This is from last year. This march is the new employee agreement. Every three years they update with input from all the warehouses and stuff. So it's going up another dollar to $17 I'm pretty sure. As well as we're getting a second floating holiday in addition to one for MLK. And all the holidays Costco is closed are paid days off.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Saw an ambulance with lights on outside my local Costco and immediately thought they must have ate too many hot dogs at once.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 3, 2022

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
New Costco book has a sale on the Foodsaver! Thinking I may take the plunge and utilize my freezer to the fullest.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Did everyone else's co stop carrying the dehydrated hash browns or is it just mine? Because this is not acceptable.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

shame on an IGA posted:

Did everyone else's co stop carrying the dehydrated hash browns or is it just mine? Because this is not acceptable.

They are gone from our Costco as well. Hope you stocked up!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

Saw an ambulance with lights on outside my local Costco and immediately thought they must have ate too many hot dogs at once.

Impossible. The dog provides, it does not take away. It was probably someone who couldn’t wait to get home before cracking into the butter-soaked bread.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone have the Firman 4000w Generator? I don't know if I need one, but I feel like it would be good to have. I don't know how these compare to a battery unit in the same price range.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

shame on an IGA posted:

This doesn't really mean anything but I did buy some like a month ago.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Question for the costco heads in this thread - how do they generally handle computer repairs? I bought a laptop from them last Summer and a few of the keyboard LEDs have gone wonky. Seems trivial but it's bugging me and I want to get it fixed before it's out of their 2-year coverage. Almost certain this model will no longer be in stock. Is it a they-will-ship-it-to-the-factory situation where I'll be without a laptop for a time, or do they generally just allow a swap/credit?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
what should i buy at costco

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Head Bee Guy posted:

GET BEEFY

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Question for the costco heads in this thread - how do they generally handle computer repairs? I bought a laptop from them last Summer and a few of the keyboard LEDs have gone wonky. Seems trivial but it's bugging me and I want to get it fixed before it's out of their 2-year coverage. Almost certain this model will no longer be in stock. Is it a they-will-ship-it-to-the-factory situation where I'll be without a laptop for a time, or do they generally just allow a swap/credit?

Personal anecdote that isn't going to be the same situation as yours, but a positive anecdote nonetheless:

My dad went through this last month and it was admittedly within the 90 day return window with a computer still in stock - one of the Dell 15" laptops. He had a catastrophic hinge failure on two of the same model of laptop and after the second one failed, Costco decided to refund him and he went with a different model.

In his case, the concierge service overnighted a replacement, then told him to drop the broken one off at a UPS depot after the replacement arrived. Second time, I think he returned it to the store. He lives over 50 miles from the nearest warehouse so the shipping option was best for him the first time, the second he was already headed to the warehouse that week.

He had nothing but nice things to say about the whole process, PBUC

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Head Bee Guy posted:

cheerios, applesauce pouches, and a new sweatshirt

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone have the Firman 4000w Generator? I don't know if I need one, but I feel like it would be good to have. I don't know how these compare to a battery unit in the same price range.

Gasoline/Propane/NG generators are going to give you far more run time than any battery unit I've seen on the market. Without knowing your specific goals it's hard to recommend anything specific.

I had a house with sump pumps to keep the basement dry and having a generator during a hurricane is serious storm was invaluable. 5-10 gallons of gas could easily last you days if you only run it periodically. You can also plug in your fridges and freezers and keep them cold as well.

4000 watts isn't a lot, but if you aren't planning to run anything that draws a lot of power it could very well be plenty.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It’s worth noting that wattage isn’t the same thing as capacity. You can have a unit that delivers 4000W but will only do it for like 5 minutes. Even a chunky luggable size battery isn’t actually a lot. Especially if they are lead-acid but even lithium batteries.

Generators will do it for hours (although again be aware the run times are usually specified at half load, and full load will use fuel faster).

Also, bear in mind the wattage vs VA rating. Power factor means some of the power is consumed out of phase which is harder to deliver. It’s often around 80% but appliances with motors often hit harder.

The other thing is to keep an eye on total harmonic distortion (THD). A lot of generators put out a ton of harmonic noise (the AC sine wave is not clean) which freaks out electronics. Something like a whole house generator is likely to be cleaner than a random plug-in generator, I don’t have any specific idea whether costcos are good or not though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Have any goons gotten these lights?

We're thinking of doing some exterior lighting around our pergola and then towards our back door. Reviews on the site and from videos around Youtube sound good but wanting a congregation perspective before pulling the trigger

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 3, 2022

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

costco run this weekend, wonder how busy its gonna be

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

We're thinking of doing some exterior lighting around our pergola and then towards our back door. Reviews on the site and from videos around Youtube sound good but wanting a congregation perspective before pulling the trigger

I have a few of those strings attached to an outdoor wifi plug on a schedule. They are very bright and much better than the similar price point poo poo I got from Amazon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

PO of my house used a bunch of the old version of these with incandescents and they're fine. I did order a boatload of these bulbs to swap them over and the only problem seems to be that the actual LED element in the bulb is not particularly well bonded to the electrodes - I've had two or three die, all with an open-circuit failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

quoting this so i can search at my local costco for a set of these!