Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Aces High posted:

Is Agent Carter gonna be available to watch on D+ as well? Is it available to watch on Netflix now?

Agent Carter has been on D+ from the get-go, it wasn’t part of the Netflix series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Agent Carter is the best out of all those shows

It's an insult to even group them together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you're on the fence about Paramount Plus they're doing a special with $1 for the first three months. It is funny how they're advertising it as the service's "birthday" while completely ignoring that it was just the same thing as CBS All Access.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Those jerks have clearly figured out how much I'm anticipating Strange New Worlds and just want to give me a few weeks free to get me hooked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm pretty sure the entire media industry has figured out a scam where if they just alternate $1 sales every few months I'll keep on the hook and lose somehow.

Like I know its actually that they're counting on the fact that I can't remember to cancel once the sale price is gone. And lots of people probably do fall for that. But I keep feeling like I'm missing the scam as me 3 months of 99 cent Epix give way to 3 months of $1 Paramount+.

But its probably me just realizing I didn't watch much on Epix in those 3 months.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"Did you say 'Cancel'??? Well in that case, here's an extra 3 months free!"

At this stage they're still worried about subscriber number quarterly goals than actual dollars.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 2, 2022

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Considering the USMNT plays two matches at the end of March that might be paywalled behind Paramount+, I might as well bite the bullet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Edward Mass posted:

Considering the USMNT plays two matches at the end of March that might be paywalled behind Paramount+, I might as well bite the bullet.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I always get grouchy when their games aren't easily available and I would've forgotten about this promo I'm sure.

Shame Ink Master episodes on there are just the regular season ones, as there's an episode or two of the Specials that I've not been able to find.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

If you're on the fence about Paramount Plus they're doing a special with $1 for the first three months. It is funny how they're advertising it as the service's "birthday" while completely ignoring that it was just the same thing as CBS All Access.

It's weird how Paramount has apparently been a company for years but when CBS All Access became Paramount + they both had the same near-zero amount of stuff to watch. Technically there are double the Treks around around but otherwise Paramount+ is mostly good for scrollnig through to get that feeling of the early 00s surfing the cable menu on the weekend with nothing interesting on until you find something not so uninteresting as to make you prefer surfing more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of, I saw that they have Moonbeam City on the service and while that show wasn't good per se it did have some high points. Like Will Forte just continuously naming fake albums in a bid to seem cool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of, I saw that they have Moonbeam City on the service and while that show wasn't good per se it did have some high points. Like Will Forte just continuously naming fake albums in a bid to seem cool.

That show could've used a second season. It's certainly better than Archer which has been nothing but callbacks and references to itself for most of it's run now.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

This is my rear end in a top hat while watching Severance.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who works in the tech industry and has ethical issues even working in even the more altruistic (lol) side of things, Severance just seems too real to get any enjoyment out of.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
For the AEW fans, with Khan's acquisition of Ring of Honor and their tape library today, there are strong rumours that he's about to secure a deal with HBO Max.

Big if true.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who works in the tech industry and has ethical issues even working in even the more altruistic (lol) side of things, Severance just seems too real to get any enjoyment out of.

I’ve got the same prob with Abbott Elementary, which is too bad bc the show seems pretty good and Quinta Brunson is rad as hell

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's the same for me and King of the Hill. It's all too real for me to actually enjoy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone else hate the cinematography on Inventing Anna? It's like a reality show shot on Lamborghini-expensive lenses.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

It's the same for me and King of the Hill. It's all too real for me to actually enjoy.

Same, growing up as a rural Iowan.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is my rear end in a top hat while watching Severance.

I was always baffled by this gag as a kid. Apparently alum is something used in pickling according to the surprisingly low amount of articles that pop up on Google?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

AceOfFlames posted:

I was always baffled by this gag as a kid. Apparently alum is something used in pickling according to the surprisingly low amount of articles that pop up on Google?

https://gunaxin.com/seven-myths-seven-classic-cartoons

"First of all, let's take a look at what Alum really is. Because according to the cartoons, any substantial mouthful will shrink your head to humorous Beetlejuice-like proportions. Basically, because Alum was used in pickling brines (due to its astringent, sweetish, acidic properties) and was very useful and potent at shrinking cucumbers into said pickles, it only made sense that as a comedy vehicle it would, when mixed into whatever the victim was going to eat, would shrivel the mouth/face/head and make them unable to even speak, or make them hit a really high octave. And therein lies your funny.

Bugs used this device a time or two, the most well-known of which was this particular cartoon titled Long-Haired Hare from 1948. During this exciting episode, we find the titular bunny doing his classic battle with opera singer, Giovanni Jones. If you haven't seen this, you can imagine where the Alum might come into play."

I guess people used to do a whole lot more pickling from their garden vegetables than we do today so it's pickling effects would be more commonly known.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Anyone else hate the cinematography on Inventing Anna? It's like a reality show shot on Lamborghini-expensive lenses.

I hated everything else about the show so what's one more thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sekhmnet posted:

https://gunaxin.com/seven-myths-seven-classic-cartoons

"First of all, let's take a look at what Alum really is. Because according to the cartoons, any substantial mouthful will shrink your head to humorous Beetlejuice-like proportions. Basically, because Alum was used in pickling brines (due to its astringent, sweetish, acidic properties) and was very useful and potent at shrinking cucumbers into said pickles, it only made sense that as a comedy vehicle it would, when mixed into whatever the victim was going to eat, would shrivel the mouth/face/head and make them unable to even speak, or make them hit a really high octave. And therein lies your funny.

Bugs used this device a time or two, the most well-known of which was this particular cartoon titled Long-Haired Hare from 1948. During this exciting episode, we find the titular bunny doing his classic battle with opera singer, Giovanni Jones. If you haven't seen this, you can imagine where the Alum might come into play."

I guess people used to do a whole lot more pickling from their garden vegetables than we do today so it's pickling effects would be more commonly known.

Yeah this always cracks me up about early-century cartoons, how they indirectly demonstrate how much closer to the land the audience was. Everyone pickled and canned vegetables all the time, everyone did their own gardening, everyone used home remedies like castor oil, everyone who didn't live in New York City (and have to constantly dodge construction sites and pianos being hoisted into penthouses) lived on a farm and all their comedy was based around the antics of chickens and cows.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

I couldn't even make it through the trailer, the way the kid speaks was just too irritating and then I looked up the story it was based on and it's just a kind of miserable tale of a bad person who enjoys the attention and in the end she's barely punished at all. If she wasn't lovely to service workers I'd maybe find something amusing about her grifting dumbass rich new yorker buffoons, but as-is can't handle it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone seen Wolf Life Me on Peacock?

I haven't heard anything about it. I watched a little bit of the trailer to get an idea but cut it short to avoid spoilers. Is it worth getting in to?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone seen Wolf Life Me on Peacock?

I haven't heard anything about it. I watched a little bit of the trailer to get an idea but cut it short to avoid spoilers. Is it worth getting in to?

It was pretty good. I went in expecting a comedy horror, but it's really a romance/drama. Some funny but mostly serious tone.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Medullah posted:

It was pretty good. I went in expecting a comedy horror, but it's really a romance/drama. Some funny but mostly serious tone.

Good to hear. I think Bear Claw stole the scenes he was in with New Girl and Avenue 5, so I'm a fan now.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I couldn't even make it through the trailer, the way the kid speaks was just too irritating and then I looked up the story it was based on and it's just a kind of miserable tale of a bad person who enjoys the attention and in the end she's barely punished at all. If she wasn't lovely to service workers I'd maybe find something amusing about her grifting dumbass rich new yorker buffoons, but as-is can't handle it.

It's way wayyyyy too long. I was also hoping the show would explore how Vivian the journalist was very much guilty of the same crimes as Anna, just browbeating and blackmailing sources until they agreed to go on the record, but when I got to the part where her water broke and she calls the trainer to guilt and shame her into being on the record and everyone in her office stands up and claps in the most Sorkin way possible, I knew that wouldn't happen.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Moonbeam City had a rough start, but it improved quickly, and I thought the second half was legitimately great. I would have loved to see what they could have done with another season.

It also had a banger title theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz57_qdRSxc

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm glad that so far on Severance, Petey didn't immediately become that sci-fi/thriller panicking character being chased that shows up with information just to be killed almost immediately. I was so prepared for that to be the case and pleasantly surprised when it didn't happen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't like Our Flag Means Death. It's weird enough that I want to like it, and I'll probably finish out the season, but I also didn't really laugh.

The vibe's pretty cool, the sets are very obviously stagey but everyone's very gross and weird, kinda like a Terry Gilliam film without the insane camera set ups and maybe not quite as smart? But I guess if the jokes work for you then the show works, and they didn't work for me so...

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I've started watching Wallander and I now understand the opening of A Touche of Cloth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Super Pumped has Joseph Gordon Levitt playing the Uber CEO and Quentin Tarrantino is doing the narration for some reason. But the show just feels like a cheap knockoff of The Big Short. I think it's because Uber doesn't have interesting people, they are all just assholes.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Severance is the most horrifying show I've seen in recent memory

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

Super Pumped has Joseph Gordon Levitt playing the Uber CEO and Quentin Tarrantino is doing the narration for some reason. But the show just feels like a cheap knockoff of The Big Short. I think it's because Uber doesn't have interesting people, they are all just assholes.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. There's nothing interesting about the story of Travis Kalanick; rich techbro gets it into his head to "disrupt" an industry, skirts and sometimes outright breaks every law in sight, and fosters a toxic atmosphere of misogyny, then gets forced out.

With Theranos, there's at least some fascinating layers of the onion to unpeel, like how loving weird Elizabeth Holmes is, how bizarre and shady Sunny Balwani is, all of the weird poo poo they did to defraud investors and vendors and the FDA, etc. Bad Blood is a hell of a read.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing I’m saddest about wrt Elden Ring taking up all my time (well, I’m not sad at all, this is basically the best game ever) is that I haven’t gotten to watch more Severance past the excellent first episode. Soon!!

The only shows I’ve caught up with and now finished are Euphoria (great but messy), Gemstones (underwhelming finale but overall killer season), and The Afterparty just now (fantastic show, and I correctly guessed the killer! although so did most everyone else)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I called it after episode one! And you said i was mad! Mad!

I was completely wrong about most everything else though.

This Theranos current affairs drama thing has killer needle drops, and it's directed fairly well. Surprisingly compelling. Michael Showalter strikes again -- excited for Season 3, when things will have escalated so far that the cast are trying to fight off Antarctic sea pirates.

I haven't liked Amanda Seyfried in a role this much since Big Love. Naveen Andrews is wonderfully weird and pathetic, he's really blossomed into a good character actor himself (not that he was ever bad at all).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Severance is the most horrifying show I've seen in recent memory

Petey's audioclip from the break room really hit for some reason and I just figured out it was giving me the same vibe from reading Thomas Ligotti post True Detective. Fits if written around the same time I guess?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Raised By Wolves is 100% made by people who a) know they're being cancelled and b) see this as a joyous opportunity.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I'm not even sure Wolves is being made by human beings. drat do I love my milky space nonsense though, head spinning at the end of every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1499753868871225355

Method acting baby