Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The last couple of EMMIs did have real cheap abilities that just made their encounters feel like RNG checks, I could have done without the entire mechanic tbh at no point did they feel engaging and not a chore to be overcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

No Dignity posted:

The last couple of EMMIs did have real cheap abilities that just made their encounters feel like RNG checks, I could have done without the entire mechanic tbh at no point did they feel engaging and not a chore to be overcome

In fairness, early Gravity Suit is an intended sequence break which also completely trivializes Wave EMMI's zones. It is absolutely a trick I would recommend learning if you want to avoid frustrations in future playthroughs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think by the time you get to the EMMI that can just straight up see and attack you through walls, the concept has stopped being tense and exhilarating and has just become annoying. At that point, I was more than ready to just be done with them.

Fedule posted:

Basically we have no idea if they were struggling to think of what to even try to make, or having trouble actually making it. Frankly I think they were wrong to announce the game at all and possibly only did because they needed a megaton at the time. Every time they acknowledge it it's like they're trying to play down the hype they managed to spark just showing a 4 on a background with some music. I mean, hell, even the stunning reveal of Metroid loving Dread was framed as a consolation for still not having any news about Prime 4, and that's a little sad. When they finally do show it, it's going to be consumed by people who have long been waiting for it, as opposed to being a complete holy poo poo drop that will get hyperbolic writeups in all the games journalisms. And, I mean, this will be a relatively minor problem, but it's still a shame.

The weirdest part about that is that....they didn't need to? They didn't need to announce MP4 because they announced Samus Returns as the big "Metroid is back, baby!" thing at the same time.

It was a weirdly out of character move for Nintendo to announce something that was so far from being done at the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

I question how people are supposed to know where to go in EMMI zones. Sometimes there are clues or a single realistic path, but other times, it seems like you need either the internet or a lot of trial and error.

The thing about the EMMI zones is that they are generally designed to funnel you towards the intended path and require a willingness to keep moving. Generally as long as you keep going forward you'll find a path. They're not really mazelike, especially your first time through where you generally really do only have one or two paths tops. It also helps to just pop open the map before you go in and try to figure out what rough direction your goal is in.

MJeff posted:

It was a weirdly out of character move for Nintendo to announce something that was so far from being done at the time.

The thing is that from what we know it wasn't. We'll never know quite how far away it was from being done but at the time it seemed to be fairly well into development before whatever the gently caress happened that made them scrap the entire thing. It's a pretty weird situation in general and I'd love to know the exact reason that Prime 4 was considered a "throw this fucker away" game.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

To put it another way, yeah it's trial and error, but they did a pretty good job of reducing the number of possible errors as long as you're reasonably decent at noticing when the exit you took out of an EMMI zone is a dead end for now (and those dead ends are usually short), and don't assume that you have to go back just because your first attempt at going forward didn't work.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'd always just sprint through and never realy had trouble with the non-omega encounters. At least after a ciuple trial and error runs

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I've been fighting Raven Beak on Dread Mode for hours and I've almost reached my breaking point. I can fairly easily reach his third phase, but his hyper beam and shinespark attacks are giving me hell. With the hyper beam, it's just a matter of having a really hard time with the timing. But with the shinespark, sometimes when I go to jump over him he shoots straight up into me. Does anyone know what triggers him to do that and how you're supposed to avoid it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think it has to do with "don't be directly above him when he times the launch." It's still safe to be diagonally above him, though, isn't it?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Well the issue I'm having is that he launches horizontally, but then when I jump and flash step to go over him, he changes course and flies right into me. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be close to the wall so he collides with it, or what.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I haven't played in a hot minute, so I'm probably forgetting about how the attack works.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah sometimes he goes straight horizontal and sometimes he goes horizontal but then janks up and back down diagonally.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also, like, it’s ok for you to be frustrated with the difficulty of the final boss on the “frustratingly difficult” mode

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I finally got a pattern where he never shinesparked and defeated him, so I guess I'll never know how to avoid the one where he goes up!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Darth Nat posted:

I finally got a pattern where he never shinesparked and defeated him, so I guess I'll never know how to avoid the one where he goes up!

Jump straight up where you're standing, but not over him. You have space jump you can just hover in his blind spot, which is nearly 75% of the room.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

loving christ Dread mode is hard. I cleared it (and got 100% of items), but idk how many times I died. Has to have been in the 100’s 😂

e: :laffo: it gave a count at the end

745 deaths

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I finally beat Dread (not dread mode, just the metroid game metroid:dread) over the weekend. Raven Beak was the hardest boss, but that was mostly because the QTE's and the Cinematics were blurred together so it took me a while to figure out when I can counter something. If I did counter it correctly I had to realize that I could then start firing. I even died on the cutscene after I killed raven beak because there's no indication that samus is back in control of the game after the cutscene. It was kind of a mess.

Overall the game was good, but it would absolutely be better with fewer one-way paths and a map design that allowed you to get to the next area from an alternate direction instad of using one-way paths to funnel you into the "right way."

The part where I spent the most time roaming/lost was when I need to find the second path between Burenia and Darion before I got the space jump I think. I wandered around Darion quite a bit knowing I needed to kill the Emmi there, and in the process I found the echo-locator and another dead-end, but the only way to proceed was that one path from burenia. There were a few places like that where when you got the "green key" item, there was realistically only one door that you could open that would lead you to the next objective and the game was quick to cut-off paths that might have lead else where. A better map wouldn't have needed to create one-way paths and instead would have offered multiple "green-key doors" that all lead to the same place.

Still a good game, and obviously there are places to sequence break, but there are a lot of points of no return (until much later). So if you think "I'll grab this item and then do some exploration," the item is the bait, and now you are trapped and forced to fight the next boss.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There were QTE’s in every boss fight triggered by countering a specific move that allowed you to get a bunch of free shots at the boss. I don’t know if the game ever explicitly says that, they just kind of assume you did it on any previous boss.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There were QTE’s in every boss fight triggered by countering a specific move that allowed you to get a bunch of free shots at the boss. I don’t know if the game ever explicitly says that, they just kind of assume you did it on any previous boss.

Right but Raven Beak felt different. I assume because he also had multiple phases where the transition to the next phase was indistinguishable from the QTE you get when you counter him. Another thing that threw me off vs him was he had multiple dash/melee attacks but only one was counterable the rest were intended to be dodged. Oh also the "double counter" that was required for his moves was disruptive. I think there were earlier bosses where you could do a double counter and get more damage after the second counter, but Raven Beak you had to double counter to get damage done at all. A lot of things felt "off" about the fight and the ending scene etc.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I even died on the cutscene after I killed raven beak because there's no indication that samus is back in control of the game after the cutscene. It was kind of a mess.

I died the first time on Raven Beak's final button inputs because while I figured out I had control, it took me a good thirty seconds to figure out the button combo that actually did anything.

This is not necessarily a criticism of the game, it's an admission that I am very dumb sometimes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It was obviously a throw back to the EMMI fights with the wide-field camera etc. it just felt awkward to me. As an aside the story "reasoning" for samus' unleashed power fell flat. In Super Metroid the Metroid particles gave her the hyperbeam, but in this she just kind of discovers it? Like she always had the capability but just didn't know it? idk felt contrived.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
idk about her just kind of discovering it, i think the whole journey's worth of manipulated stressors by raven beak awakening her as a metroid super saiyan moments earlier might have more to do with it

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It was obviously a throw back to the EMMI fights with the wide-field camera etc. it just felt awkward to me. As an aside the story "reasoning" for samus' unleashed power fell flat. In Super Metroid the Metroid particles gave her the hyperbeam, but in this she just kind of discovers it? Like she always had the capability but just didn't know it? idk felt contrived.
It was foreshadowed at literally the very beginning of the game. Samus activated for the first time while Raven Beak was choking her out during their first encounter (her eyes suddenly shoot open and she gets a weird aura and then it cuts to the 'present' of her waking up), and that's what motivated him to drain her power and throw her to the bottom of the planet to train her instead of just harvesting her DNA then and there. Then he tries to do it again at the end of the game but he's hoist by his own petard, because he made her too powerful.

It's also possible that, like with Super Metroid, she did it because she was A) in peril, and B) pissed about someone's death.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The moment where Samus instantly snaps from losing consciousness and powering down to I AM THE METROID GOD QUEEN did fall a bit flat for me tbh. I think it works in the big picture as the culmination of the entire game's story arc, but the cutscene doesn't really do a very good job selling it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

The moment where Samus instantly snaps from losing consciousness and powering down to I AM THE METROID GOD QUEEN did fall a bit flat for me tbh. I think it works in the big picture as the culmination of the entire game's story arc, but the cutscene doesn't really do a very good job selling it.
The scream of raw, unbridled fury as she drains him so hard that the ship gets drained with him and plummets out of the sky was pretty cathartic, though. Though it's a little bit undermined when you realize it's the same scream looped multiple times.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Samus is Strong and my Friend

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

The scream of raw, unbridled fury as she drains him so hard that the ship gets drained with him and plummets out of the sky was pretty cathartic, though. Though it's a little bit undermined when you realize it's the same scream looped multiple times.

The absolutely unhinged feral screaming as she drains Raven Beak is completely over the top, and I love it for that. She was holding his head to the floor when they crashed, she had to have driven him straight through all the collapsing decking to get where they were on the surface.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Samus getting exactly two lines and them being "aight I got this (said in Chozo)" and "[GUTTURAL SCREAM OF ANIMAL RAGE]" is absolutely perfect, no notes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Samus getting exactly two lines and them being "aight I got this (said in Chozo)" and "[GUTTURAL SCREAM OF ANIMAL RAGE]" is absolutely perfect, no notes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Samus talking Chozo was actually so goddamn cool

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
From a story perspective, I loved it but it did fall a little flat in gameplay terms that after that great boss fight, Raven Beak just decides to stop losing and then you actually beat him in a cutscene and a quicktime event.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

:hai:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MJeff posted:

From a story perspective, I loved it but it did fall a little flat in gameplay terms that after that great boss fight, Raven Beak just decides to stop losing and then you actually beat him in a cutscene and a quicktime event.

You beat almost all the bosses with quick time events though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It would have been nice to have a real gameplay section with X-Raven Beak, skipping straight to the QTE finisher did feel like a bit of cut content

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

No Dignity posted:

It would have been nice to have a real gameplay section with X-Raven Beak, skipping straight to the QTE finisher did feel like a bit of cut content

I dunno, melting him with that hyper beam was pretty loving awesome. Not surprisingly, it gave me a similar feeling to toasting Mother Brain with the hyper beam in Super.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Improbable Lobster posted:

:emptyquote:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I dunno, melting him with that hyper beam was pretty loving awesome. Not surprisingly, it gave me a similar feeling to toasting Mother Brain with the hyper beam in Super.
I gotta agree here. There's something fantastic about mister "power is everything" ending up on the wrong end of exactly the power he cultivated and then getting consumed by the plague he unleashed and toasted before he can so much as say a cool line.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Even the X that possessed him got burned to ash. Samus didn’t even try to absorb it, just looked at it and gave it the hyper-beam treatment :laffo:

Her body language vs Kraid also comes to mind. Just completely “ugh, this dumb hosed again? Whatever

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/Shinesparkers/status/1509944677453254662

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

This better not be a lovely April Fools thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Levantine posted:

This better not be a lovely April Fools thing.

Look at the account name. :ssh: