Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The FFB is what made me want to come back to it from time to time, but every single time I got so fed up with it after a while. This was the last time though. AC, even if it doesn't feel quite as good, has much more vintage content these days anyway, which I really what I always wanted from rF2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does anyone have a recommendation for a user made track version of Sebring for Assetto Corsa?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a user made track version of Sebring for Assetto Corsa?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7qdzbbff2npwwie/rt_sebring.7z/file

It’s a conversion of the rfactor 2 DLC track. Really nice.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, that's the best Sebring for AC imo. The Reboot Team stuff is always pretty good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you! Very appreciated. :)

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

VelociBacon posted:

I just mounted my secondary monitor so I can have it right up to my sim rig, therefore I can now play the non-VR games I had been missing.

https://i.imgur.com/4zq3xXD.mp4

Also I picked up a very unusual codriver, I think she's eastern European or something, doesn't say much but very reliable.

Holy hell you lads have it off the chain.

I'm interested in doing a sim based off Xbox or Ps5 cuz i can't afford a computer. Feasable?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Depends on what you're looking for. Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on both consoles if you like GT3, as are the Codemasters' F1 and rally games. If you like a more casual approach and car collecting you have Gran Turismo on the PS5 and Forza on Xbox, although the next gen installments of those aren't out yet. Compatible wheels are available from all major manufacturers I think, but everything (other than ACC maybe?) should play well enough with a controller too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Assetto Corsa competizione is really the only fairly hardcore sim available on console. F1 and GT Sport lean on the sim side of simcade and forza is pretty arcadey

So you’ve got options

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
I've been playing dirt 5 on my mac with keyboard and find it fun but hard.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
It seems like Xbox and Ps5 isn't available anywhere anyhow

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
correction dirt 4. I'm more interested in the "feels like im really there!" aspect than the "hit every gear correctly" aspect of sim.... if that's even a thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You need VR in your life

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

KillHour posted:

You need VR in your life

Truth. And bass shakers and a wind sim. And a motion platform. The immersion rabbit hole is deep and expensive. Source: my wallet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Assetto Corsa competizione is really the only fairly hardcore sim available on console. F1 and GT Sport lean on the sim side of simcade and forza is pretty arcadey

So you’ve got options

Has performance gotten better? A year ago performance was really bad on ps5/series X.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Dudes I want to play dirt 5 im more concerned about ripping and running than realism.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

styls trill epic posted:

Dudes I want to play dirt 5 im more concerned about ripping and running than realism.

Well the "woah I'm really in the car!!" factor comes from immersion so I don't know what you wanna hear my dude

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SwissDonkey posted:

Well the "woah I'm really in the car!!" factor comes from immersion so I don't know what you wanna hear my dude

They want to hear that it's cheap.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

styls trill epic posted:

Dirt 5 is great! But this isn’t the right thread for that. We are here for try hard sims that require effort. That said Gran Turismo 7 is in 2 weeks.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

SwissDonkey posted:

What I mean is I want to feel like I'm really in a car going fast as heck and seeing stuff whip past the window and steering etc. I dont want to like, be brutally punished for braking too late and stuff like that. Is it wrong to play a fun arcade style thing but have a wheel and a monitor?

e genuinely wondering if this is not the thread for that! and if so please point me in the right direction!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

styls trill epic posted:

What I mean is I want to feel like I'm really in a car going fast as heck and seeing stuff whip past the window and steering etc. I dont want to like, be brutally punished for braking too late and stuff like that. Is it wrong to play a fun arcade style thing but have a wheel and a monitor?

e genuinely wondering if this is not the thread for that! and if so please point me in the right direction!

There's nothing wrong with that but also this isn't quite what this thread is about :)

I enjoy arcade style racers but generally play them with a controller because (to me) they feel lacking on a wheel compared to hardcore sims.

For what you're looking for, I would recommend getting an Xbox. Forza Horizon 5 is a great arcade racer. Grid Autosport might also be worth a look if it's backwards compatible. And if you want to try something semi-realistic you can get into Forza Motorsport 8 (probably) later this year.

e: And good luck getting a console, I've been trying to get a PS5 for months. It's a poo poo show.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 18, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Not sure how the PS5 situation is, but I've bought three Xbox Series Xs with relatively little effort. If you have or know someone who has an older Xbox Microsoft has occasionally offered an upgrade deal where you can buy direct from them which is the easiest path, but Best Buy was also pretty easy to get in on a drop with as well.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 18, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have an Xbox as well, they're in stock fairly often. PS5s are gold dust.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

styls trill epic posted:

From my own experience (getting into RBR for like 3 weeks now), the absolute best feeling of going fast needs you to have that sword above your head. I probably will never play these track sims because im sorta in the same zone you are. I don't want to put up good times per se, know a track and so on. I want to throw a fuckin vehicle around and go fast/to the edge and that requires me not to know whats coming. Driving a quattro on some small road where theres no guardrail and you are steering a rocket is very hard to beat once you try it out lol. I'm not even good, mind you, but you can just retire/do diff races p easily in RBR so idgaf. Competency will come naturally with time. It loving kicks rear end sliding your car around, fighting your wheel, etc.

SwissDonkey posted:

Truth. And bass shakers and a wind sim. And a motion platform. The immersion rabbit hole is deep and expensive. Source: my wallet

Thank god I do not have the space for most of the extreme poo poo. I was looking up the buttkicker then realized how easy the bass shaker setup is. Since I'm loading all my poo poo onto a playseat I have a hard physical limit on what I can do before it explodes like some sort of gmod prop explosion

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

Homeless Friend posted:

From my own experience (getting into RBR for like 3 weeks now), the absolute best feeling of going fast needs you to have that sword above your head. I probably will never play these track sims because im sorta in the same zone you are. I don't want to put up good times per se, know a track and so on. I want to throw a fuckin vehicle around and go fast/to the edge and that requires me not to know whats coming. Driving a quattro on some small road where theres no guardrail and you are steering a rocket is very hard to beat once you try it out lol. I'm not even good, mind you, but you can just retire/do diff races p easily in RBR so idgaf. Competency will come naturally with time. It loving kicks rear end sliding your car around, fighting your wheel, etc.

Thank god I do not have the space for most of the extreme poo poo. I was looking up the buttkicker then realized how easy the bass shaker setup is. Since I'm loading all my poo poo onto a playseat I have a hard physical limit on what I can do before it explodes like some sort of gmod prop explosion

sorry what is RBR?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Richard Burns Rally.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I haven't installed it yet but my understanding is that RSRBR is now "Rallysimfans RBR" and includes the base game, so you can get RBR plus tons of additonal cars and tracks for free.

njsykora posted:

I have an Xbox as well, they're in stock fairly often. PS5s are gold dust.

Yesterday I got an invite from Playstation Direct that I signed up for months and months ago. Ten minutes in the queue today and my PS5 should arrive Thursday. Elden Ring weekend saved.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

GhostDog posted:

I haven't installed it yet but my understanding is that RSRBR is now "Rallysimfans RBR" and includes the base game, so you can get RBR plus tons of additonal cars and tracks for free.

Effectively correct - it's also called the CZ plugin (or czech plugin) sometimes. It's a one-installer-gives-all. It's decent but kind of a pain in the rear end to get configured properly and despite all the plugins it still shows its age. We had a conversation about it about a year ago earlier in the thread.

GhostDog posted:

Yesterday I got an invite from Playstation Direct that I signed up for months and months ago. Ten minutes in the queue today and my PS5 should arrive Thursday. Elden Ring weekend saved.

Nice! Hopefully it doesn't end up DOA like mine did that I lucked into on PS5 launch day. Sony gave me a quick turnaround, but my Mile Morales plans for the weekend were scuppered.

ssb fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 22, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

From the VR thread.

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.xfire.com/f1-2022-to-feature-supercars-cross-play-but-no-story-mode/

"F1 2022 will be getting cross-play this year, however the game's story mode will be replaced by a new feature called 'F1 LIFE' that includes drivable supercars. Oh, VR is coming too!"

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I actually enjoyed Breaking Point. F1 aren't my favorite cars to drive (too twitchy, I'm not good enough to do well with them) and the game itself isn't super sim-y so having a story mode was actually pretty fun for me. I haven't really done much in the game besides that, actually. I have Forza Horizon for driving supercars in an arcadey setting already, so I don't really see the benefit here.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If they implement VR I might actually use the cockpit view. I think everyone uses the TV Pod view in F1 right now, right? F1 was my gateway drug and I'll always have a soft spot for it, but it's been really hard going back to that from iRacing. I love the team management aspect of it, really.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, everyone, even the F1 Esports team uses the pod view. The cockpit view is way too low to see the corners coming up. I cant imagine its even that bad in a real F1 car.

F1 is really good for league racing. I'd argue it has the best league racing setup of any current game, including iracing. If you have some friends to race with, you can fill the rest of the grid with AI, or there are a ton of online leagues you can join where you'll get a full grid of real humans.

The online component is exactly what you'd expect given its matching you against randos and there isnt an iracing or even a GT Sport-like driver rating and penalty system. Those are both better games for racing against randos

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, everyone, even the F1 Esports team uses the pod view. The cockpit view is way too low to see the corners coming up. I cant imagine its even that bad in a real F1 car.

It's more insane than you thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBJWLDEexDo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That view is literally way better than the cockpit view in F1 2021 lol

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Do people in this thread like dirt rally 2? I’m playing using a ps4 controller, and looking for some settings tweaks to get the handling down

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I love DR2, but I play with a wheel as do I expect most people in the thread so probably not much help in that regard.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My employer is paying me an addition $300 for "Work from home improvements." I can spend it however I want. Am I better off with a new wheel, or a used one?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For $300 I’d say you’re better off finding a used G27/29/920.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

$300 is probably in the low range for a used Fanatec from someone upgrading to a DD wheel if you’re feeling froggy.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Head Bee Guy posted:

Do people in this thread like dirt rally 2? I’m playing using a ps4 controller, and looking for some settings tweaks to get the handling down

DR 2.0 is my main sim, but as mentioned, I use a wheel. The default settings with a controller are probably "fine" as far as it goes, and more likely you're just overdriving the car if you're having trouble. Everyone who starts with a wheel does the same thing.

With a controller I'd turn on ABS for sure in the assists, and *maybe* stability control. Don't use traction control, and I'd recommend manual sequential gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I play DR2 with a controller and the default input settings have always seemed fine to me. For assists I have ABS on 1, TC/SC off, and automatic gearbox because I’ve just never liked manual shifting with a controller.