Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't hear you over playing all my Pawns for +1 Card +1 Action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
When the set list gets released, we can all ponder the most fun Kingdom to make out of the removed cards.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lookout is a fun card and I will defend it, striking out horribly is part of the charm. Embargo is also kinda interesting and I'm sad to see it go, Sea Hag and Pirate Ship less so but still a little

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Much like with base game and intrigue, im absolutely buying the whole new set, replacing all the cards for errata, and leaving the removed ones in my storage box. Yee haw

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sea Hag is such a beating. I won't miss it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah all the (potentially) replaced cards occasionally have some interesting uses, but at the end of the day they largely do stuff other cards do but just worse and more unfun. Like Pirate Ship was better than Thief but is now probably the lowest tier of the remaining trash attacks, and Sea Hag is just an even more annoying Witch without a backup benefit for the holder when curses run out. Embargo and Lookout are probably the most interesting of the remaining ones but I am sure will be replaced by much more interesting stuff. Tax is already a better version of what Embargo does for one example.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I just started playing with my gf, and I'm wondering which habits I picked up from playing Magic aren't serving me well here.

We're playing online with all the expansions.

Should I always be looking for the fastest way to go golds > provinces, or is the three pile win just as viable?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That's a pretty good starting strategy (better than mine which was "buy cards, see what they do") but it's not the ceiling.
Gold tends to be a pretty weak payload compared to Action cards working in an engine. It's a dead card that doesn't do anything for you when you draw it. You have to carry it with you all the way to your Buy phase to actually benefit from it.
Stats for high level play still have the majority of games end on Provinces, iirc, but they are always looking at the three pile ending. There's a saying that it's not about having the most points at the end of the game, but ending the game while you have the most points.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Teasers have been posted for Allies.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21079.0

quote:

At long last, Allies previews start Monday, and as usual I have a teaser.

Word counts:
- favor(s) - 33
- turn - 30
- choose - 13
- rotate - 6
- curse - 4
- +1 card and +1 action - 4
- 10 - 2
- skip - 1

Type counts
- actions - 45
- allies - 23
- liaisons - 9
- durations - 9
- attacks - 7
- treasures - 3
- victory cards - 3
- reactions - 0

Miscellaneous
- a kingdom card that cares about shuffling
- a sorcerer and a sorceress
- a treasure Pawn
- a treasure-duration
- two cards with four types

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Somebody pointed out on reddit that this expansion will have 31 new kingdom piles*, but 45 new Actions. Lot of split piles, or a stack of unique cards like Knights or Castles.
Also, rotate showing up a lot in card-text, which might mean something like tapping from Magic

*I don't know where they got that number from. Seems plausible.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
The 31 number comes from the box blurb / description.

https://www.riograndegames.com/games/dominion-allies/

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

DXV has the best box blurbs in the business.

box blurb posted:

Instead of the streets running red with blood, they’ll run, well, the usual color, let’s not focus on what color the streets run.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also, rotate showing up a lot in card-text, which might mean something like tapping from Magic

The publisher's blurb mentions that rotating is something that you do to split piles, which makes me think that it means swapping which half of the split is available to purchase.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mr. Squishy posted:

DXV has the best box blurbs in the business.

I agree. The blurbs for all of those are hilarious. I don't know if it's DXV himself or someone at RGG that writes them, but they're just great.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

I agree. The blurbs for all of those are hilarious. I don't know if it's DXV himself or someone at RGG that writes them, but they're just great.

He writes them himself though I can't find where he talked about it now.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Previews have begun. Here's day 1: Allies.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21082.0

You can play with the cards on dominion.games

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The whole Liasons, Tokens, Allies loop seems fun to me, especially the point generating ones. Of the two extra cards. Hunter is cool as a Lab for a shaggy deck (take a copper, discard two more is fun, take a Kings Court, discard two more is unbearably tragic). Skirmisher seems iffy to me. A money cantrip isn't thrilling, and spending a buy for a Militia effect seems really expensive.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Day 2: Split piles

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21085.0

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's like he fixed the problem some Split Piles had that you would never see the second card as you don't want to buy that many of the first, by giving them some Traveller designs. The cards are very weird, but they seem good having played a few games with them.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Day 3: Choose one

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21091.0

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

More previews: recursion
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21095.0

This one's got a lich in it

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
On the surface, Highwayman looks like such a ballache counter to efficient trashing. If you only have silvers and golds in hand, that's gotta feel bad. On the other hand, if we all still have coppers and someone wants to spend and action to essentially give me a -1 coin token, I guess I don't care? If I'm reading it correctly, it's like Militia in that the later players are less affected because it doesn't double up the effect. Of course, it costs 5 so Margrave might be the better comp.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

More previews: recursion
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21095.0

This one's got a lich in it

lich and highwayman both seem like they could be really shape how people approach a game

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

On the surface, Highwayman looks like such a ballache counter to efficient trashing. If you only have silvers and golds in hand, that's gotta feel bad. On the other hand, if we all still have coppers and someone wants to spend and action to essentially give me a -1 coin token, I guess I don't care? If I'm reading it correctly, it's like Militia in that the later players are less affected because it doesn't double up the effect. Of course, it costs 5 so Margrave might be the better comp.

Highwayman also does extremely mean things to Crown (Throneroom but also a Treasure) and a lot of cards with the Capitalism project in play. Lich is very weird to me - drawing 6 cards and a village effect, that's super cool, but gosh that penalty is rough. It would pair well w/ Mission, Outpost, Voyage (or whatever it's called, from day 2) that give you a lovely little extra turn that you don't mind skipping.
Of the new Allies, Island Folk is a great effect but really expensive. Almost certainly worth investing in Favour generation. Masons is also a great effect, offering pseudo-thinning at a pretty cheap rate. Also, they're actually Freemasons, with their logo and everything.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Highwayman also does extremely mean things to Crown (Throneroom but also a Treasure) and a lot of cards with the Capitalism project in play. Lich is very weird to me - drawing 6 cards and a village effect, that's super cool, but gosh that penalty is rough. It would pair well w/ Mission, Outpost, Voyage (or whatever it's called, from day 2) that give you a lovely little extra turn that you don't mind skipping.
Of the new Allies, Island Folk is a great effect but really expensive. Almost certainly worth investing in Favour generation. Masons is also a great effect, offering pseudo-thinning at a pretty cheap rate. Also, they're actually Freemasons, with their logo and everything.

How does Lich work in multiples - do they all see and skip the same turn, or is it more like "Skip the next turn that you would otherwise take". Either way I'd guess you're hoping to win that turn.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Having just played a game with it, Merchant's Camp is really interesting. It's a Village you can guarantee sticks with you, but it's anti-cycling. Unless you're certain there are two terminal actions, you just topdecked a Copper. Very interesting design.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This whole expansion so far seems really really good. Complex, but not OVERLY complex like Nocturne in particular ended up being.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

distortion park posted:

How does Lich work in multiples - do they all see and skip the same turn, or is it more like "Skip the next turn that you would otherwise take". Either way I'd guess you're hoping to win that turn.

The Lich effect stacks, so if you play two liches you'd skip your next two turns.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
OP updated with Seaside 2e and it's update pack, as well as Allies

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

This whole expansion so far seems really really good. Complex, but not OVERLY complex like Nocturne in particular ended up being.

It was a stroke of genius to use split piles to be able to do ideas like Elder (which otherwise would be too hard to play) as well as revisit ideas like simple action/victory cards like Distant Shore. Likewise, the favors/allies take a really simple concept (coins you get to use later, just like Coffers and Villagers) and use a new Landmark to add a super interesting twist.

I feel like he was going for a bit of the same concept in Nocturne, I think the biggest failing there was that things were too interconnected within the set, such that you have some cards that add Hexes or Boons which need to bring in their relevant Spirits or States. Or you had an Heirloom like Cemetery which referenced another Spirit pile, etc, etc. so you had to remember a bunch of nested requirements to get everything to the table. One game we had to get up 3 different times to get something from the box someone had forgotten in order to continue with the game.

By contrast, so far the only thing you need to remember here is that a Liaison requires you to draw a single Ally from that deck, while all the split piles presumably are packaged together.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So far I really like the Allies themselves and find the other cards okay to good. I like that it's not as invasive an expansion as Nocturne or Alchemy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So far the Allies that have really piqued my interest are Order of Masons, Band of Nomads, City-State and League of Bankers; of the 11 shown those seem to introduce the most "new" concepts, the others are things that you see all the time on other cards (trashing, gaining, filtering, etc). Although the real test there will be to see how they interact with other existing cards and expansions. For example, something like Mountain Pass from Empires was a cool new idea but in practice it just fires off once in a game so the only real variation is how much people are willing to bid. Still, it was fun as hell getting League of Bankers up to a ridiculous amount in a game with Broker, Underling and Colonies/Plats; I got my per turn $ amount from it over $10 but I can't remember where I topped out.

And yeah, more "vanilla" cards are always welcome because the real place they shine is in creating interconnectivity with the more crazy combo cards from this and other sets. The best sets IMO have only a handful of really off-the-wall cards but are mostly held together by the workhorse cards that do predictable, practical things but in a new or novel way, and give life to the old standby cards we've played with a thousand times.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Guy A. Person posted:

It was a stroke of genius to use split piles to be able to do ideas like Elder (which otherwise would be too hard to play) as well as revisit ideas like simple action/victory cards like Distant Shore. Likewise, the favors/allies take a really simple concept (coins you get to use later, just like Coffers and Villagers) and use a new Landmark to add a super interesting twist.

I feel like he was going for a bit of the same concept in Nocturne, I think the biggest failing there was that things were too interconnected within the set, such that you have some cards that add Hexes or Boons which need to bring in their relevant Spirits or States. Or you had an Heirloom like Cemetery which referenced another Spirit pile, etc, etc. so you had to remember a bunch of nested requirements to get everything to the table. One game we had to get up 3 different times to get something from the box someone had forgotten in order to continue with the game.

By contrast, so far the only thing you need to remember here is that a Liaison requires you to draw a single Ally from that deck, while all the split piles presumably are packaged together.

As someone who plays almost exclusively online, I never understood why people ragged on Nocturne until this post.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think Allies will be less popular online than in person. Nomads in particular is very annoying.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Toshimo posted:

As someone who plays almost exclusively online, I never understood why people ragged on Nocturne until this post.

It's also the night phase itself. It interrupts the ABC simplicity of the core game loop. I do like the expansion and some of its cards are quite fun, but it's a pain to fold into teaching, a pain to use IRL, and generally kind of a hassle.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Night Cards also fall out of the traditional Dominion categories of Actions, Treasures, or Victory cards. For a whole swathe of cards, they might as well be a Curse.
Having played a lot of the Previews, Swap is a really, really good card. It's an expensive cantrip that looks pretty unassuming, but "turn any action into any other action" is a pretty good benefit. Besides the extreme convenience of being able to swap out Villages for Smithies and back, you can scoop up a bunch of crummy Poor Houses and turn them into Labs.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

Night Cards also fall out of the traditional Dominion categories of Actions, Treasures, or Victory cards. For a whole swathe of cards, they might as well be a Curse.

I really like several of the Nights but yeah, playing a game with Hunter and Ghost Town the other day was so painful lol. It's not like their power is so great that it's balanced out by a bunch of cards treating them like blanks either, it's just a blind spot where fun interactions are just missing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Final preview: more cards
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=21099.0

Seaside second edition coming late April probably! Ally turns out to be a bunch of jerks!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Played about 10 previews games vs the bot. New cards seem… fine. Nothing special, nothing I was excited to combo with another card or theorize some crazy strat. That was just playing comboed with the base set though, perhaps they get a lot more interesting with the other 90% of cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Weird to think about being on the SIXTH expansion after the original slate of ideas ran dry. This game really does just keep on giving