Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I am now sharing my music room with a rabbit that my partner and I adopted, and music doesn't seem to bother the little dude at all.

He seemed to quite enjoy the Shaft soundtrack. :kiddo: :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Unless that's some kind of valuable or sought after turntable I would just get something else. Record stores and stereo shops should have decent vintage refurbs for reasonable money.

It’s a decently valuable and sought after turntable, but it only takes proprietary cartridges that they haven’t made in 25 years. The cartridge might be worth more than the turntable if it’s in great condition.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
So here’s a video of it playing one of my dad’s records:

https://youtube.com/shorts/o3UcUTjZi4I?feature=share

You can tell its obviously distorted. Whether that’s the record, stylus/cartridge/tone arm, or something else - I can’t say.

I plan on taking to a vintage audio place that repairs tons of things. According to their website, they can give a quick (free) idea as to the condition and repair level of things. If it’s decided repairs are too much, they can make an offer for the unit for parts.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I just received a vinyl catalog in the mail...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Other than the inclusion of say 2 names on that list, people would really struggle to guess what year that was from if it didn't say.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

Other than the inclusion of say 2 names on that list, people would really struggle to guess what year that was from if it didn't say.

Agreed. I was surprised that on the back page it listed the new Sonic Youth release (collection of recordings from 2000-2010) by Three Lobed Records.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Fat Possum re-released three of El-P's albums. My wallet is shaking in fear.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Read After Burning posted:

I am now sharing my music room with a rabbit that my partner and I adopted, and music doesn't seem to bother the little dude at all.

He seemed to quite enjoy the Shaft soundtrack. :kiddo: :3:

one of my cats always comes into the room and lays down near the turntable when I have jazz playing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I caught Circuit Des Yeux randomly at Pitchfork back in 2018 while eating currywurst waiting for This is Not This Heat to play their first US show (sometimes I'm cool) and then again at Pitchfork Midwinter 2019 (I had to see Laurie Anderson), so it was pretty cool to see her again without having to haul rear end to Chicago. She spent the last minute of the encore sitting directly in front of me on the stage staring me down, rocking back and forth and screaming in my face. It ruled.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Everyone has their bit: caligulamprey posts all things Residents, CPL's got the rent's too drat high schtick, and I am the forums ambassador for Belle and Sebastian and Golden Boots. That said, a huge effortpost.

Belle and Sebastian finally announced their new album this morning, and it has multiple cover variants and configurations so I am going to unpack it as cleanly and concisely as possible.

quote:

We're excited to announce our first studio full-length in 7 years, A Bit of Previous, will be released May 6th on Matador Records.

In early 2020 the outbreak of the pandemic meant we had to abandon our plan to work on the songs in Los Angeles, so instead we enlisted help to convert our long time practice space in Glasgow into somewhere we could record. We took sanctuary in music, resulting in the first proper album we’d made without leaving town since Fold Your Hands Child… back in 2000.

Each version of A Bit of Previous has its own album cover, including the Belle / Matador webstore version (picture 2, also includes a 7" of the title track), the US independent record store version (picture 3), and the standard LP (picture 4).

Pre-order or pre-save A Bit of Previous here: https://belleandsebastian.ffm.to/abop

Band photo: Hollie Fernando

They haven't been fallow since 2015, of course, but technically How to Solve Our Human Problems was a trio of EPs, and Days of the Bagnold Summer was a soundtrack.

Standard LP, available everywhere forever, will never go out of print. Roughly $25 shipped from wherever (including most of the links to be posted further down) Belles keeping it real pre-covid with an LP for $20, solid.

Interior

Standard LP with signed art print of the four covers, available exclusively from Matador in the UK as of this writing

https://shopuk.matadorrecords.com/products/belle-and-sebastian-a-bit-of-previous-spotify-lp-signed-print

Don't let the £21.00 fool you, it's nearly $50 by the time you get it shipped to the States. I got it but I'm actually insane. If you're in the UK it's probably a bit under £30 shipped, not bad.

Indie exclusive cover. Available from your shop possibly but also at links just a bit further down (promise) You can follow that link in the quoted text above to see the list of record shops, good luck with that.

Indie exclusive cover with 7". $5 more than the standard release, two non-album tracks on the single, good times. Available many places but I would recommend at B&S' shiny new Bandcamp so you can get the digital copies

https://belleandsebastian.bandcamp.com/album/a-bit-of-previous

You can get the standard LP and CD there too.

CD cover. If you're keen on getting the compact disc, I suggest waiting for the Japanese release with the inevitable bonus tracks (quite likely the tracks from the single, which aren't even available digitally from Bandcamp.)

Retailer exclusives

Rough Trade's clear edition, which I got because the next one sold out (to scalpers) shortly after going on sale. Just under $50, a hefty fuckin' fee. Available as of this writing, along with the aforementioned editions, here: https://www.roughtrade.com/us/belle-and-sebastian/a-bit-of-previous/lp-plus-2

Monorail orange edition, signed. A shop in Glasgow, they also had an exclusive of the band's live album in 2020 with a signed art print. Sold out 12 hours ago but if you happen to be in the area you can pick one up at the shop in May. Also was just under $50 shipped. Obviously the superior deal to the Rough Trade one, but what ya gonna do (do not buy from scalpers, for one.) Get the Matador one above if you wanna get a signed print. Link for posterity: https://monorailmusic.com/product/a-bit-of-previous/

THAT'S IT.

Edit: hosed up dude's name and that's not cool.

pwn fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 3, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I thought my gimmick was saying things are probably doubles when people post pictures of a lot of a thing.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

CaptainBeefart posted:

I just received a vinyl catalog in the mail...

Same, I have no idea how I got on the list.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If you ever used a credit card to buy a record you're on a list somewhere.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

I thought my gimmick was saying things are probably doubles when people post pictures of a lot of a thing.

Triples makes it safe. Triples is best.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Triples makes it safe. Triples is best.

One to hang on the wall, one to flip and one to keep sealed as an investment.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Or if you're Elton John, one copy for each of your three homes.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I've been going through my collection and cleaning them with the Ultrasonic machine. This has been a great time for pruning and finding things to trade in. Hardly any doubles!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Aww man, Bandcamp got bought by Epic Games. That can't be good.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

For now it'll probably be fine. I imagine this is for Epic's long term Metaverse project. While bandcamp has no ownership over the music available on the platform, this probably does make it easier to A. bake in some sort of clause into the contracts with the labels/musicians that gives them some sort of cut for music in the metaverse in the future and bam you got a whole stable of music ready to go for the project or B. this is another one of Epic's pet projects, which if they enjoy what Bandcamp is doing I doubt they touch their business for awhile unless it proves to be less than fruitful.

I dont see Epic loving with the success of Bandcamp in the short term. It's a service that works and needs the nurturing to grow into something bigger and become a viable competitor against other streaming services which Epic could absolutely help with which means more artists are able to earn some sort of living through their allocation of money for sales which is a win, but long-term yeah there's no way Epic wont roll them into the bigger scope of the companies plans. whether that's good or bad yet, we'll have to see, but I doubt we'll see an implosion of Bandcamp in the next year or two. beyond that I dunno.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Somebody in a different thread noted that Tencent has a 40% stake in Epic Games. Tencent is a Chinese conglomerate with a mutual stake in Spotify and the two co-own Tencent Music. So look forward to something lovely.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Enos Cabell posted:

Aww man, Bandcamp got bought by Epic Games. That can't be good.

I bet it is a part of Metaverse bullshit. Hopefully they keep paying artists but honestly I see them going towards a hybrid spotify/tiktok model, where you will be able to use music in your games and videos for a fee. I love the Bandcamp service but their listening app is pretty terrible.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Oh look. A digital album sleeve. Only $500!

https://syneonline.com/welcometosyne

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

I bet it is a part of Metaverse bullshit. Hopefully they keep paying artists but honestly I see them going towards a hybrid spotify/tiktok model, where you will be able to use music in your games and videos for a fee. I love the Bandcamp service but their listening app is pretty terrible.

Yeah, I'm vaguely gathering that some people with lots of money are going to try to make Snowcrash real, in that regard anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

I thought this was going to be an NFT thing. I'm tempted to say this is dumber but NFTs are really loving dumb.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
NFTs are dumber than anything

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

sporklift posted:

These days with stuff like this I always pause and wonder if it’s loving stupid or I’m legit aging out of tech and shouldn’t be such a judgey dickbag, but I’m pretty sure this is loving stupid.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like it

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Yeah I've certainly seen dumber things when it comes to tech and/or music. 500$ is really dumb though.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Yeah I don't hate it. I don't not hate it $500 worth, though, even though we all know I'm bad with money. *gestures to record collection*

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

sporklift posted:

Hey I can use this with vinyl records! Finally, I'll have the ability to see a 12x12 version of the album artwork when I listen to a record.

And I'll finally be able to know what I'm listening to!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

esperantinc posted:

Yeah I've certainly seen dumber things when it comes to tech and/or music. 500$ is really dumb though.

For “dumb stuff people who spend lots of money on AV equipment buy”, $500 is practically bargain basement prices.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

sporklift posted:

It's a bargain compared to this McIntosh light box that for three times the price appears just to display the logo:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vjE0cYjqBC2/p_958LB100/McIntosh-LB100.html

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

McCoy Pauley posted:

It's a bargain compared to this McIntosh light box that for three times the price appears just to display the logo:

That makes the music sound better at least. It’s worth the extra dough

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

esperantinc posted:

Or...you could just buy a nice tablet that has functionality outside of being a display.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

McCoy Pauley posted:

quote:

Excellent item to complement your Macintosh components true it's very expensive for what it is but it is one of a kind type of item I don't believe they'll be very many on the market it makes a great conversation piece and I'm sure will give you lots of pleasure for years to come as mine does

I've seen a lot of dumb poo poo linked in the thread since I bookmarked it five years ago, but this is truly something else.

re: frame:
You know how album art is typically square? Yeah, it uses a 4:5 aspect ratio without even listing the resolution. So not only is it probably potato 400x500 or something similar with an obnoxiously low pixel density, but it's not even the proper aspect ratio for the artwork. It only supports Sonos or Spotify, apparently, and they recommend hiring a trained professional to route the cable through a wall instead of, you know, putting any sort of cable management in the frame.

At least they have over 100 features, none of which are worth listing, that they promise to put in the next version if enough suckers buy this one.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Hi folks, one more post about turntables. I’m taking my B&O turntable for a quick “inspection” tomorrow. In the event that it’s not worth fixing, are any of these sub $300 “vintage” tables worth getting? The place I’m taking it to has:

https://theturntablestore.com/online-store/ols/categories/turntable

Or, at that point would I be better served getting something like a Fluance RT82 / Orbit equivalent that I can upgrade over time if I turn into a sicko? Thanks again for the help!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That album cover thing just reminded me of the Sharper Image. How did that company even exist for more than ten minutes?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

A few more pickups this week. Our space isn't really set up for albums on the wall but I'd hang up the Texas Sun and Moon EPs for sure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Game-Blouses posted:

Hi folks, one more post about turntables. I’m taking my B&O turntable for a quick “inspection” tomorrow. In the event that it’s not worth fixing, are any of these sub $300 “vintage” tables worth getting? The place I’m taking it to has:

https://theturntablestore.com/online-store/ols/categories/turntable

Or, at that point would I be better served getting something like a Fluance RT82 / Orbit equivalent that I can upgrade over time if I turn into a sicko? Thanks again for the help!

The dual is going to be fine, just be aware that it is (once again) designed to take special ultralight cartridges. However, unlike your B&O, this one has an adapter to accept standard carts and comes with a decent one. You still want to avoid heavy cartridges with it, I believe.

It’s not the most beautiful deck out there, but the suspension is good and it’s well built for something that was an entry level model.

You might still want to look at a fluance, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Game-Blouses posted:

If you feel confident you can troubleshoot potential problems that older equipment can throw at you, used/vintage gear is fine. Given your experience with the B&O, how many times would you be willing to go through this to find a winner (including your own time)? If you're truthful with yourself on that front, you'll be able to decide if splashing on a newer table is the right move.

Regarding Orbit/Fluance. I've used both at friends houses, the Fluance felt like a superior build to me. Can't speak to the included cartridges since the Fluance was upgraded.

FWIW I'm fairly handy, have a decent working older, JVC fully automated, direct drive and I'm STILL edging towards getting a Fluance 85. Gambling $300 on used gear vs new in that RT82 price point doesn't feel worth the hassle. $20 used gear is a different story!

midge fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 5, 2022