Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arson Daily posted:

Any one know if a certain Georgia based or several Kansas based aircraft manufacturers have joined in the sanctions? Are yak-50's now in high demand by Russia's 1%?

The Yak-50 was always in high demand in my heart. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's slowly dawning on me that so many lockouts are happening with Russian aviation that they are gonna loose the ability to fly airplanes not only out of Russia, but inside Russia as well, unless the types they fly are Russian-produced. You might want to hang on to those An-2s, guys...

Mentour Pilot just did a video on this and he gave Sukhoi Superjet as an example. It is Russian made airliner and even the engines are Russian made, but still the "hot parts" of the engine come from Safran.

The END of Russian Aviation!? | Mentour NOW!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

St_Ides posted:

Besides the programming language, when I used to use Sabre, occasionally you’d see the raw text version of the flight info and it was an option to make it a non-smoking flight.

Are there any countries that still have smoking flights? I've never actually thought about it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cat Hatter posted:

Are there any countries that still have smoking flights? I've never actually thought about it.

Supposedly Cubana was the last airline to have them, but nixed them in 2014.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

I am not a lawyer, and my lawyer friends are fuzzy on this, but I think under the Foreign Sovereign Immunity Act and the Cape Town Treaty the lessors could be made whole with the frozen assets of the Central Bank of Russia, which are worth hundreds of billions of dollars and located in New York.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I understand similar too. The Russians don't have a ton to bargain with here.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
They'll probably call the leasing companies Nazis, claim they have nuclear weapons, and try to bomb Ireland, since that's obviously working so well in Ukraine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

azflyboy posted:

They'll probably call the leasing companies Nazis, claim they have nuclear weapons, and try to bomb Ireland, since that's obviously working so well in Ukraine.

Please don’t give them any ideas they might give you a field commission and get you to lead the Russian Air Force.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Based on the satellite images of airports they’ve hit with long range weapons if they aim Dublin they’ll hit London.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Based on the satellite images of airports they’ve hit with long range weapons if they aim Dublin they’ll hit London.

Now you’re giving the Irish ideas!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

priznat posted:

Please don’t give them any ideas they might give you a field commission and get you to lead the Russian Air Force.

Rumor has it that the VDV is looking for fresh talent.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Do we know if any foreign flagged carriers have ac stuck in Russia?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I Aim for the Stars (But Sometimes I Hit London)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Cat Hatter posted:

Aloha Airlines Flight 243

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

~Coxy posted:

Aloha Airlines Flight 243

:drat:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Air Koryo probably does.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Midjack posted:

Air Koryo probably does.

Was non smoking when I flew on Air Koryo in 2007

Edit: do not go to North Korea

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 4, 2022

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Cat Hassler posted:

Was non smoking when I flew on Air Koryo in 2007

Edit: do not go to North Korea

:frogon:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Clearer pictures, it is melted in half.

A few of the engines might be salvageable, given that one wing looks 'okay' and the hangar door for the factory with the unfinished airframe inside has been hit by an explosive and is partially burnt, who knows what the condition is inside.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499644729276960772

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 4, 2022

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Related: somebody's trying out for the MSM, trying to dream up the best maximally doomist take:

https://twitter.com/ozaed/status/1499698115242348545

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress are the ruskies back there again :(

Yeah it's the doomiest take but some stuff legitimately couldn't be moved quickly any other way, that's a serious issue.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They cleaned up all the destroyed Russian trucks before filming that Russian news video

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1499348790033240065?t=FUOvZ2iBa7gc-Kumxj4lCw&s=19

Sadly the plane was parked in the middle of combat

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

gently caress are the ruskies back there again :(

Yeah it's the doomiest take but some stuff legitimately couldn't be moved quickly any other way, that's a serious issue.

I feel like if 1980s USSR could build it someone could make a similar capability aircraft today but lol at what Boeing or Airbus would poo poo out.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Midjack posted:

I feel like if 1980s USSR could build it someone could make a similar capability aircraft today but lol at what Boeing or Airbus would poo poo out.

The only reason the An-225 existed was to transport Buran. If Buran hadn’t happened, Antonov wouldn’t have built the -225. Any use of the prototype after that was simply taking advantage of an existing asset. The financial incentive to have an outsize/heavyweight airlift capacity like that simply isn’t sufficient to build a bespoke aircraft, so if Antonov can’t complete the remaining incomplete An-225 airframe that’s probably that, unfortunately.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's no question that someone could build another An-225 today. The A380 is nearly as large and heavy. The problem is that there appears to be a world market for about one cargo plane that large, so no company is going to tool up and make one just because. Like most of the world's greatest achievements, the An-225 only happened because it was a government project (in that case, carrying the Buran orbiter) without a profit motive.

e: beaten

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
the an-124 is still pretty big

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This thing* can only be moved by that plane!

* thing was designed specifically to be moved by that plane, which is cheap compared to the alternatives

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

The only reason the An-225 existed was to transport Buran. If Buran hadn’t happened, Antonov wouldn’t have built the -225. Any use of the prototype after that was simply taking advantage of an existing asset. The financial incentive to have an outsize/heavyweight airlift capacity like that simply isn’t sufficient to build a bespoke aircraft, so if Antonov can’t complete the remaining incomplete An-225 airframe that’s probably that, unfortunately.

I'm a bit more optimistic because the An-225 became a symbol of Ukrainian pride. Considering Antonov is working on a successor to the An-124, and China bought the rights to produce the An-124/225 for *their* space program, and the 225 was a cheap and cheerful expansion...

Like as far as airframes like this go, chances for rebuilding are good in one form or another.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm a bit more optimistic because the An-225 became a symbol of Ukrainian pride. Considering Antonov is working on a successor to the An-124, and China bought the rights to produce the An-124/225 for *their* space program, and the 225 was a cheap and cheerful expansion...

Like as far as airframes like this go, chances for rebuilding are good in one form or another.

I agree to all of the above, with the caveat that it probably depends on the survival/condition of the second incomplete airframe.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Why was the An-225 so big? From what I can tell, it could lift a bunch more than the 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft but the Buran was lighter than the Space Shuttle?

Also, now that the An-225 is no more, could the Stratolaunch pick up some of the slack if it ever progresses beyond test flights, or does the Weird poo poo the Antonov used to carry have dimensions that wouldn't fit?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think the Stratolaunch has any notable internal cargo capacity, so unless they invent some big pod that it carries on its belly, it's not all that useful for general purpose carriage.

The An-225 was made the size it is because the An-124 wasn't big enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think the Stratolaunch has any notable internal cargo capacity, so unless they invent some big pod that it carries on its belly, it's not all that useful for general purpose carriage.

The An-225 was made the size it is because the An-124 wasn't big enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They'd have to completely re-engineer Stratolaunch as while it was designed to take *off* with a big loving rocket between the fuselages, I'm pretty sure the gear wasn't designed to *land* with that same big loving rocket still attached to the airframe.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Hatter posted:

Why was the An-225 so big? From what I can tell, it could lift a bunch more than the 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft but the Buran was lighter than the Space Shuttle?

The Soviets needed an airplane that could transport bulky components for their space program, including (but not limited to) their shuttle. It's why the An-225 had a different tail and no rear cargo ramp: its greatest lift capability was with loads it could carry externally.

Previously they modified the Myasishchev M-4 bomber,, the VM-T:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Back during the Cold War, were there ever any instances of planes going down/missing on routes over the Arctic like that? Can't think of any offhand aside from the one KAL 707 that took the wrong heading and got shot down.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Anchorage is back, baby!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Glorious people's soviet dildo, size medium

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

"Americans just used a 747"

And it's still cheaper because they don't have to pay Vova now?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reported Fuel Shortage In Moscow Prompts Korean Air To Cancel Flights

Rationing jet fuel in your capital less than two weeks into a war is not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They'd have to completely re-engineer Stratolaunch as while it was designed to take *off* with a big loving rocket between the fuselages, I'm pretty sure the gear wasn't designed to *land* with that same big loving rocket still attached to the airframe.

Think about that for a second. You think they'd design it with no abort capability? Sounds like a lot of expensive ditched payloads.