Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Interesting note is that the US Intelligence assessment and this blog have repeatedly said before that "Russia has made some mistakes but has the time and resources to change course and correct."

Not seeing a whole lotta correcting, and if the reports coming out Russian military reforms and logistics being a grift pile of incompetence are remotely true, then maybe... just maybeeee they can't switch gears because no one knows how, and all the competent guys are gone.

Dictators will choose loyalty over competence every time.

Eventually, you'll get yesmen who are completely loyal but can't do even the simplest or basic tasks given to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Ignore this I can’t read

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I had to share this here.

I'm giving my little boy a bath right now and this loving hurts my soul. gently caress Vlad the BigFailure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Some extremely disturbing footage coming out of Chernihiv tonight. A missile strike some 6-8 hours ago appears to have killed at least 30 people.

:nms: gore; dead or severely maimed civilians

code:
https://twitter.com/innasovsun/status/1499455753282899974

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

punishedkissinger posted:

highly feasible since they use basically the same tanks as Russia.

Yeah Ukranian forces would be at the very least familiar with Russian equipment and know how to repair it.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 4, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like Russia is shipping in some folks to Kherson for a photo op.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1499499585340854284?t=O2JvUmTFyKl5eco0RwmQgw&s=19
https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1499502859704016897?t=q2XrfJUiVUhl7JrfzwG6Tw&s=19

Seems extremely risky to assume it won't get disrupted somehow, but hey they brought their own human shields from home!

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

KitConstantine posted:

I mean here are the numbers as per his most updated post:

Russian losses
Russia - 557, of which: destroyed: 228, damaged: 8, abandoned: 131, captured: 190
Tanks (74, of which destroyed: 24, damaged: 1, abandoned: 23, captured: 26)

Ukraine Losses - less firm because they have better operational security

Ukraine - 182, of which: destroyed: 70, damaged: 4, abandoned: 43, captured: 65
Tanks (29, of which destroyed: 9, abandoned: 10, captured: 10)

Ukraine has officially captured more vehicles than it's lost total. For tanks they've replaced all but 3 of their losses with captured replacements.

It's not official at all - it's relying on open sources which the Ukrainians have been extremely effective at suppressing any leaks from. CNN is quoting (that I can't source further) that "Russia has lost roughly 3% to 5% of its tanks, aircraft, artillery and other military assets inside Ukraine — compared to Ukrainian losses of roughly 10% of its capabilities, according to two US officials familiar with the latest intelligence. "

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

A genuinely believe Putin didn't think that the rest of the world would have the balls to drop the sanctions Hammer as hard as they did. He knew that Russia would get dinged but I don't think he realized that this would cost him what is going to cost him from economic perspective, and the economic impact over a longer term is going to have real world ramifications for his ability to stay in power.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Russia staged more than 1600 tanks for this invasion. 80, even double that number disabled or captured, is just not enough.

Yes, I’m just saying that the OP said they’re sending in stuff to clear out the way for the advanced equipment, which doesn’t seem to be the case

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm glad Ukraine is liberating Russian fagots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

cr0y posted:

A genuinely believe Putin didn't think that the rest of the world would have the balls to drop the sanctions Hammer as hard as they did. He knew that Russia would get dinged but I don't think he realized that this would cost him what is going to cost him from economic perspective, and the economic impact over a longer term is going to have real world ramifications for his ability to stay in power.

Here's hoping we don't get a chance to read his thoughts on this in his memoirs.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Flappy Bert posted:

It's not official at all - it's relying on open sources which the Ukrainians have been extremely effective at suppressing any leaks from. CNN is quoting (that I can't source further) that "Russia has lost roughly 3% to 5% of its tanks, aircraft, artillery and other military assets inside Ukraine — compared to Ukrainian losses of roughly 10% of its capabilities, according to two US officials familiar with the latest intelligence. "

You're right, and I edited it to say reported losses nearly immediately

But Ukraine has lost 10 percent of a much smaller starting total, and has captured replacements for some of that loss. Also whatever you may think Oryx does very careful vetting of his totals and I trust his numbers, at least for what's been captured on video.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Ikasuhito posted:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1499519380773916674

Soon the Ukrainian military will be equipped with nothing but captured Russian vehicles.

Do they have the ammunition and spare parts to actually make good use of them is the question.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MikeC posted:

Do they have the ammunition and spare parts to actually make good use of them is the question.

Probably not all of them but amount of battlefield salvage is insane so I'd wager they can keep a few running

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm glad Ukraine is liberating Russian fagots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

To comment on this, Fagot is a Soviet ATGM. It's the word for "bassoon" in many languages, including Russian.

The post is still a pretty dumb joke and I'm not necessarily arguing about the probe.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MikeC posted:

They have a factory that makes incredibly similar models I'm sure Ukraine could repair some number of captured damaged tanks and bring them back to the fight if they have the time.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Randarkman posted:

FYI, Fagot is a Soviet ATGM. It's the word for "bassoon" in many languages, including Russian.

The joke was still in poor taste.
E: you clarified, no problem

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

FYI, Fagot is a Soviet ATGM. It's the word for "bassoon" in many languages, including Russian.

If that was the intent, I do apologise for the probation. That said, if you happen to be a poster with history of questionable probations, you’ll be best served by using its NATO reporting name in this thread.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

alas WAR CRIME GIGOLO, flew too close to the sun.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Ikasuhito posted:

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1499519380773916674

Soon the Ukrainian military will be equipped with nothing but captured Russian vehicles.

It's real nice of Russia to contribute along with the rest of Europe in donating military hardware to stop the Russians

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

tagesschau posted:

That's Russian, not Ukrainian, though.

How similar are Russian and Ukrainian? I see sources say they're mutually intelligible, but how easy is it for speakers to understand each other?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

William Bear posted:

How similar are Russian and Ukrainian? I see sources say they're mutually intelligible, but how easy is it for speakers to understand each other?

Very easy. Not exactly similar.

Unless you're me and you only learn Ukrainian and Ruthenian.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If that was the intent, I do apologise for the probation.

You have nothing to apologize for, right call

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1499377671855292423

very good thread on the VDV and how Russian propaganda makes them out to be delta force types, when in fact they are mostly super riot cops mixed with SS who go in a crack heads when their are uprisings or protests. like you have to be 6ft to be in the VDV because its all about psyops bullshit. so when they are tossed against and actual army. they implode. hard.

I'm not an expert on Central American war history, but this seems somewhat comparable to how "death squads" operated.

They're extremely effective at crushing light resistance and terrorizing civilians, but far less effective against regulars.

In any case, it seems like they're not comparable to what we'd normally think of as special forces.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Speaking of equipment posting!

Ukraine reports they shot down 3 more planes today, and are still reviewing helicopter losses.
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1499514891060891654?t=3f5oOaqsYs9Lp0B2KqHOnA&s=19

Big fancy tank
https://twitter.com/kemal_115/status/1499525373113077761?t=HA9CQib_skezwCeBWrJjaA&s=19

Lots and lots of fancy guns
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499522380800184324?t=Tb6YKNoWbloyWpwHpacQvA&s=19
(Lot of news coming out of Hostomel today)

Apparently the AK-12 is particularly fancy
https://twitter.com/CalibreObscura/status/1499509023397322752?t=Z0b7DOPY61pR7MKGJAuKKA&s=19

More small arms photos lately.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Leave the busted rear end tanks on the roads to block them up, make the Russians try to off road with the rest on some mud.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

William Bear posted:

They’re only situationally mutually intelligible. Someone posting in Ukrainian here would be almost indecipherable to a Russian reader. On the flip side, almost every Ukrainian speaks Russian, meaning that the effective language barrier is relatively limited.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

TulliusCicero posted:

Interesting note is that the US Intelligence assessment and this blog have repeatedly said before that "Russia has made some mistakes but has the time and resources to change course and correct."

Not seeing a whole lotta correcting, and if the reports coming out Russian military reforms and logistics being a grift pile of incompetence are remotely true, then maybe... just maybeeee they can't switch gears because no one knows how, and all the competent guys are gone.

Found a story from last year with interviews with Russian soldiers and officers about how poo poo the Russian army is. All anecdotal evidence is course but I'm very inclined to believe it after all we've seen in this war thus far.

quote:

TIMONOVO, Russia -- For Pavel Petrakov, a 23-year-old lieutenant in a military unit that monitors Russian aerospace defenses, the fact that the door to his officer-assigned dormitory room fell off its hinges was bad enough.

There were also the old bloodstains and feces on the wood floor. But the breaking point may have been the hordes of cockroaches in the communal kitchen.

“When I went to military school, I thought the army was cool, the officers were society’s elite,” said Petrakov, who was commissioned after graduating with honors from a prestigious St. Petersburg military academy.

“I never even imagined that you could drink like that and yell at children. They’re pigs at home, and they booze it up at work,” he told the North.Realities Desk of RFE/RL's Russian Service. “The most disgusting thing, because of which many flee from the army, is that they treat you like a beast.”

Petrakov is one of an unknown number of military officers who are resigning from duty, demoralized, or disgusted, or simply fed up by the conditions, physical and psychological, they are forced to serve in.

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-military-officers-morale-problem/31612793.html

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cr0y posted:

yeah. i think he viewed it as putting down a bunch of protesters and poo poo. he hosed that up bad.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If that was the intent, I do apologise for the probation. That said, if you happen to be a poster with history of questionable probations, you’ll be best served by using its NATO reporting name in this thread.

It is the NATO reporting name for the MiG-15 however I'd be more than a little surprised if those were in any nation's current inventory.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 4, 2022

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUT36YGOh8

according to twitter, this is a live stream of the big nuclear power plant. there is something on fire on the right and I've seen two of the lose light parachute flare things go off the last 15 minutes or so.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They’re only situationally mutually intelligible. Someone posting in Ukrainian here would be almost indecipherable to a Russian reader. On the flip side, almost every Ukrainian speaks Russian, meaning that the effective language barrier is relatively limited.

My host dad in Cherniniv replied to my voice message in Russian and I had to say "Uh... I don't understand Russian!"

Ukraine is full of delightful moments like that where you can just speak to each other unintelligibly yet understand anyway.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

MikeC posted:

The Ukrainians haven't just been taking equipment - Ukrainians have been raiding the support vehicles too. The government is asking civilians in the countryside that feel able - so hunters, trackers, veterans - to raid the Russian supply lines when they can. They are destroying a lot of stuff but a lot gets captured too. Entire vehicles full of ammo, and they've been successful enough that the Russians have tried to disguise ammo trucks as medical or food transport vehicles. I don't think they're counted anywhere though.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tuna-Fish posted:

If I was Putin, what I'd ask from Kazakstan is not their army (which is small, and probably needed where it is), but to be my backdoor and help evading sanctions. Being visibly pro-ukraine would be a necessity for that.

You're not Putin, because you didn't hinge the most Special military operation in history on the success of drunk homophobic parachute cops against a well trained army

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shooting Blanks posted:

It is the NATO reporting name for the MiG-15 however I'd be more than a little surprised if those were in any nation's current inventory.

How dare you impugn the reputation of the Peoples Air Force of Glorious Best Korea.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

MOSCOW, March 3. /TASS/. None of the mercenaries the West is sending to Ukraine to fight for the nationalist regime will enjoy the right of combatants under international humanitarian law, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said.

https://tass.com/politics/1416131?utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google.com&utm_referrer=google.com

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm not an expert on Central American war history, but this seems somewhat comparable to how "death squads" operated.

They're extremely effective at crushing light resistance and terrorizing civilians, but far less effective against regulars.

In any case, it seems like they're not comparable to what we'd normally think of as special forces.

I think that guy exaggerates a bit by essentially calling them glorified riot cops. They are certainly prestige troops and alot of stuff about them (which goes for special forces in general really) is more for propaganda than military value, but he's sort of drawing alot of conclusions from his correct point that airdrops in hostile territory is only really done against the kind of rebels and mutinies and such who don't have the weapons to contest their landing and don't have the weaponry to successfully stand up to them in a fight either, but he also mentions that most of the time in war they are just used as regular infantry (and in the vacuum where the operational planning isn't founded on insane assumptions and the logistical system works, they probably perform fine in that role).

Being much more lightly armed they can be transported and supplied much more easily and there's certainly cases where that can prove very useful, however also because of their essentially light infantry nature they will not be able to stand up against regular formations with artillery and armor in a straight fight either, better training and fitness will really only get you so far.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 4, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the popes toes posted:

MOSCOW, March 3. /TASS/. None of the mercenaries the West is sending to Ukraine to fight for the nationalist regime will enjoy the right of combatants under international humanitarian law, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said.

https://tass.com/politics/1416131?utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google.com&utm_referrer=google.com

since when have the russian cared about that poo poo. i mean these guys are apparently shooting their own wounded.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I think that guy exaggerates a bit by essentially calling them glorified riot cops. They are certainly prestige troops and alot of stuff about them (which goes for special forces in general really) is more for propaganda than military value, but he's sort of drawing alot of conclusions from his correct point that airdrops in hostile territory is only really done against the kind of rebels and mutinies and such who don't have the weapons to contest their landing and don't have the weaponry to successfully stand up to them in a fight either, but he also mentions that most of the time in war they are just used as regular infantry. Being much more lightly armed they can be transported and supplied much more easily and there's certainly cases where that can prove very useful, however also because of their essentially light infantry nature they will not be able to stand up against regular formations with artillery and armor in a straight fight either, better training and fitness will really only get you so far.

my point is they arnt super duper spec ops dudes. they are used to shooting protesters or somebody dad who is armed with a double barrel or a hunting rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mnoba posted:

**snip**

according to twitter, this is a live stream of the big nuclear power plant. there is something on fire on the right and I've seen two of the lose light parachute flare things go off the last 15 minutes or so.

Not that Russia needs this website to find that stream, but I can't help but feel that broadcasting the existence of a live feed clearly showing the exact location of Ukrainian soldiers defending a nuclear power plant is a tad irresponsible.