Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

riderchop posted:

boiled and shredded chicken tenders???

As in the tenderloin cut of the chicken breast, not the breaded and fried things you'd see on a menu.

davidspackage posted:

*reads Arlo and Janis* this guy loves his wife

Need some Arlo "WIFE GUY" merch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Boltar gonna Boltar

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Huh. I have the ingredients for this.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ardeem posted:

He's waiting for Moz to get to the part where this is a problem he needs to deal with.

"So is she just going around killing everyone who wronged her??? I shoudl have freed her montsh ago mozz!"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

ChaCha Chako: The end!

As I said at the start, it ends quickly, but at least it does end, and more or less satisfactorily, in a Q-Rais kind of way.
There were also these two coda comics in the "main line" Chako comic:

But that's it for Chako and ChaCha! I'll share a short quarantine comic Q-Rais did next, then get into the very excellent Monya the Gray, another long-form narrative comic.

Night Visitors

Fortunately, this pun works equally well in Japanese and English.

Thank you for posting both Chako & ChaCha, it was really fun to read. I agree it ended in a nice way perfect for the comic, too; the little post-script ice cream shop is really really cute.
Looking forward to Monya

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Thanks for posting Chacha and Chako, very excellent.

rannum posted:

"So is she just going around killing everyone who wronged her??? I shoudl have freed her montsh ago mozz!"

It's taking him months to get to the point but I wager the military that dude was part of is going to send a really pissed and heavy handed group of soldiers in to express their dissatisfaction.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

RoboRodent posted:

Huh. I have the ingredients for this.

I, for one, demand pictures.

Pictures of Tuna, Egg and Cheese open omlette-man.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Long Lever

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

So It Seems May 12, 1952

I chuckled at Foul Mood ice cream.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I don't remember Frisbee throwing being a thing.

The Phantom

Well ok then.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mark Trail tries so hard to be decent and one day it could get there but the dual narration boxes are just murder and such a clear sign of rushing or lack of confidence. All you had to do was draw Mark grimacing juxtaposed to the monkey on the phone..! Like cripes, is it just to cover negative space in a hurry?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

You were right but for a stupider reason than anticipated:

What the hell? He brought two guns to do the shooting?

So his plan was:
1: Shoot the comedian with the first gun. Put it back in his pocket.
2. Throw the second gun on the floor using a napkin or something so fingerprints don't get on it, as a decoy.
3. Keep hand in pocket for no good reason, Idaville PD won't check for gun residue on your hands, or search you.
4. If all goes south, shoot Encyclopedia Brown. With him dead, they'll never solve the mystery and you can just walk out.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Poil posted:

In the first three panels she's wearing a dress underneath but in the fourth it's suddenly bra and skirt?

In the comic before this one Liz says that that girl is wearing a see-through top and that everyone can see her bra. So it's supposed to be a bra and skirt, I just don't know if Lynn Johnston thought she wouldn't be able to get it past the editors if it looked more like a bra, if she didn't want to draw a middle (high?) school girl in just a bra and skirt, or if it's just lazy art.

Took me a moment to realize what he was doing here, and Marla has the right response, that's hosed up.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I agree with that one poster who said it was actually pretty funny when Belluso left and the guy just said "I'm not even a lawyer" and if it had been left at that it would have been good, but loving hell this is just insufferable.

Also this still doesn't make any goddamn sense! Did Belluso just send the Morgans a regular rear end letter in the mail saying "Give me money plz or I sue you"? He would have had to hire an actual loving lawyer to like, you know, threaten a lawsuit, or demand a settlement. So why didn't he just bring that lawyer? Why just grab a dude off the street and say "Pretend to be a lawyer"? Con men are actually supposed to be, you know, skilled at conning people.

I hate this loving comic strip jesus christ.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Medenmath posted:

But Arf isn't the protagonist, so he just looks ridiculous.

No I don't. gently caress you.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

In the comic before this one Liz says that that girl is wearing a see-through top and that everyone can see her bra. So it's supposed to be a bra and skirt, I just don't know if Lynn Johnston thought she wouldn't be able to get it past the editors if it looked more like a bra, if she didn't want to draw a middle (high?) school girl in just a bra and skirt, or if it's just lazy art.

Took me a moment to realize what he was doing here, and Marla has the right response, that's hosed up.

I agree with that one poster who said it was actually pretty funny when Belluso left and the guy just said "I'm not even a lawyer" and if it had been left at that it would have been good, but loving hell this is just insufferable.

Also this still doesn't make any goddamn sense! Did Belluso just send the Morgans a regular rear end letter in the mail saying "Give me money plz or I sue you"? He would have had to hire an actual loving lawyer to like, you know, threaten a lawsuit, or demand a settlement. So why didn't he just bring that lawyer? Why just grab a dude off the street and say "Pretend to be a lawyer"? Con men are actually supposed to be, you know, skilled at conning people.

I hate this loving comic strip jesus christ.

You don't need a lawyer for any of that stuff. An hour on the Internet will give you enough boilerplate to send all sorts of legal threats to people and even file complaints in court. You *ought* to get a lawyer if you don't want to make a fool of yourself, of course.

I don't think Belluso was serious about actually taking it to court, though. The plot seems to be implying that he just wanted to pressure Rex into settling out of court and just brought in the actor to apply a little extra pressure when he thought he had the upper hand.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

gently caress you, Ed. If you KNOW she's got extra work stuff going on, then maybe you could get off your lazy rear end and offer to help pick up some slack at home, Jesus.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Why isn't it set to autopay? Stupid boomer.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

Why isn't it set to autopay? Stupid boomer.

Beat me to posting exactly this by a nanosecond.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ed's the type to write "SEE ID" on his credit cards instead of a signature

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He probably uses cash.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

still outraged that he can't pay his bills with crypto

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

mails a "check" every three weeks.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

what extra projects? she's a radio talk show host.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Dustin is so bad that half a dozen people were able to come up with half a dozen different leaps in logic that the strip had to make just to set up a single very tepid "joke."

TyrsHTML posted:

what extra projects? she's a radio talk show host.

She, uh...[tries to remember some "Frasier" storylines]...had to fill in for Bulldog?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Wifey not paying the bills is just one more inconvenience this long-suffering old man has to put up with. He seems like the type who would tell her he was fine with her waiting to do the ironing till she was out of her sickbed, then wonder why she wasn't grateful.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Bound and Gagged

My only regret is that I have ... boneitis!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Thank you for posting Chako and Cha Cha!

But,

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba
We'll do two recipes to make this next volume's comics work out right.

boiling chicken tenders..?

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

https://twitter.com/HannaBarberaCap/status/1494152840671023106

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

boiling chicken tenders..?

unbreaded strips of chicken breast tenderloin, as discussed

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Wifey not paying the bills is just one more inconvenience this long-suffering old man has to put up with. He seems like the type who would tell her he was fine with her waiting to do the ironing till she was out of her sickbed, then wonder why she wasn't grateful.

I'm surprised that turbo boomer that Ed is, he would allow his wife to handle the finances. Especially when I know we've seen a bunch of "women be shoppin." strips in the past.

Pick a loving lane you caveman - Either your wife handles the money, in which case you don't really get to bitch about how it gets spent (or not in this case), or do it your drat self.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Yeah, I'm not enough of a cook to be able to figure out what those chicken strips are correctly called in English - in Japanese (or at least in Maruoka's recipes) they're just called "chicken tenders" regardless of how you cook them, and a quick google search suggested the name could apply to just the cut of meat.

Uramachi Sakaba: This one's an unusual 3 pages long, so I'll post them together.

Night Visitors

Next is Q-Rais' Mokke's Calamity, a short (we'll be done in a week) quarantine project, that you could probably subtitle "Quarantine Depression Comix":

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Strawberry Frahsted Online Animals

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I'm surprised that turbo boomer that Ed is, he would allow his wife to handle the finances. Especially when I know we've seen a bunch of "women be shoppin." strips in the past.

Pick a loving lane you caveman - Either your wife handles the money, in which case you don't really get to bitch about how it gets spent (or not in this case), or do it your drat self.

Being able to bitch about it is exactly why he has her do it rather than taking care of it himself. He doesn't want things to go well, he wants to bitch.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hwurmp posted:

unbreaded strips of chicken breast tenderloin, as discussed
Maybe it's just me but I think people might be put off by the idea of boiling it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Maybe it's just me but I think people might be put off by the idea of boiling it.

When I went to tokyo I asked a friend who had family there what's the one thing that I should know or watch out for that I wasn't going to find out from travel guides or whatever and she told me "Don't order the chicken." Which I thought was kind of weird at the time but after two weeks in Japan I was really hungry for some good chicken and I eat plenty of food at japanese restaurants in california that have chicken and I want to tell you I've never eaten anything from a restaurant anywhere that tasted so bad as what I got.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Instead of the potentially gross message, I'm going to focus on how this outfit is another thing that makes the strip seem really out of date, especially with the big hair.

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 22, 1950)

At a glance, did anyone else think Tor looked like Columbo in that first panel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

even beyond whatever ed's on about the main problem with that dustin is that meg i guess doesn't get cell service on her phone?? and only uses wifi????