Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I looked through probably 30 shops in Surly's network and couldn't find a Wednesday frameset in any size. The earliest I was getting quoted for backorders was this fall. Then I randomly stumbled across one of their dealers in bumfuck New Hampshire that had the size and the color I wanted and was willing to ship. Pulled the trigger and it went out of stock so I got the last medium. Super excited. Ordered a 3 speed sturmey archer internally geared fat bike hub for it, and the headset to mount a suspension fork. The hub is backordered so I'm gonna have to wait for that to build the rear wheel and get the drivetrain together. Hopefully won't be a crazy long wait, but it gives me time to pick my front fork, front hub, rims, and tires.

acidx fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Taima posted:

SLX 4 pots are decent ya?
They're decent, and when you consider price they're quite good.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Amazing to hear thank you friend ^_^

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Discovered today there is a decent stretch of nice singletrack I’ve lived next to my entire life and never known about. Huzzah! Edit: Holy poo poo I made the thread title :aaa:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Figure MTB thread might be the best spot for this. I’ve got a PNW Coast 31.6/120mm external dropper on my bikepacking/touring bike with a drop bar lever. Seat tube angle is 73.3.

My problem is that I have to throw my rear end down on the saddle a bit to get it started to go down. If the post is not fully extended, it works just fine under my normal body weight, but fully extended I can put my entire body weight on the saddle, as in feet in the air, and it won’t start going down.

I’ve got the cable tension right, and I’ve tried PSI from 150-250. It’s been like this from the start, and I’ve used it on maybe 10 rides. I also tried various torque on the seat clamp, anywhere from 6Nm down to just barely tight enough to prevent it from slipping and it doesn’t impact it.

Is this just normal for the Coast since it has the small suspension travel, and you have to overcome that to actuate the dropper itself?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Doesn't sound normal at all. Contact their customer service, supposedly they're awesome and will fix you up right.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PNW sent me a new one before my old one had even made it to them. Works way better, no having to do a booty bonk to get it moving.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

PNW sent me a new one before my old one had even made it to them. Works way better, no having to do a booty bonk to get it moving.

I don't have to do a booty bonk, but I like to

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I almost said booty bump but that’s a very different thing

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My dropper got to be like that after 2 years of muddy riding and just needed a disassemble, clean, and re-lube.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
If things play out nicely next week, I'll have a new wheelset AND a new bike.

aaawwwwww yissss

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Boogalo posted:

My dropper got to be like that after 2 years of muddy riding and just needed a disassemble, clean, and re-lube.

I’d ridden it on the road for maybe 300 miles, just seemed kinda sticky to start.

My only problem now is the drop bar lever will catch on my bar mitts but winter is almost over (please be almost over)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Our recent sunny nice warm days motivated me to do some work to the mtb even though it's will still probably be awhile before i can go ride it. Roads in town are mostly dry but trails, not so much.

One thing I've never been really thrilled about is the basic grip damper in the fork. Trail mode offers good support on smoother, flowing trails but is harsh on the rougher stuff. Full open seems to feel too soft and go through the travel easily. So I bought a fit4 damper, which gives a low speed compression dial and is just a little nicer overall. It wasn't too expensive and was pretty easy to swap in. Took the lowers off to do a lower service, also cleaned and regreased the air spring, and then the damper just unscrews from the top.

Since fork got completely overhauled I figured I should do an air can service on the shock while the bike was in the stand and I was taking stuff apart. Pretty straightforward-replace like two seals and put some fresh float fluid in there. I hear the dampers can go pretty long between service, so waiting on that until next time.

Then I've also not been all that into the stock dropper lever. It's not very nice and doesn't line up quite right with the brake lever and the adjuster hits the top tube if you turn the bars around. Wolf tooth is a little lower profile and tucks up with the brake better.

Although I think I should have ordered the light action version with the longer lever.

Also new tires. The dhf/aggressor combo is nice going downhill but not so nice the rest of the time. Decided last spring to try the schwalbe racing ray/ralph combo, then we tried ordering them and got only rear tires, and then finally late last year some fronts showed up.

I've been wondering what my bike was going to weigh with the new transfer sl dropper once I went back to XC tires. 25lb 11oz as pictured. The 2.35 schwalbes aren't the lightest xc tires out there either. Thinking about going to the flimsiest vittoria mezcals when these wear out, then syerras for general trail use.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 15, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Cool interview with Kitsbow on their manufacturing process, and drat if it isn't a good ad for their stuff

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/nerd-alert-podcast/id1489098732?i=1000551045862

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

I've installed the headset, but that's about it so far. Waiting on a front hub from China and the internal geared hub for the rear is on back order. Once I get those I can lace up the wheels. 65mm rims that will get some 4.3" Surly Edna's on them. Won't have a lot of float on that small of a rim but should be a nice all around tire set up. Then I can start playing around with stems and handlebars to get the cockpit right. Got a deal on that RST Renegade front fork and snatched it up. I might wish I had gotten a Manitou instead, but I won't be going very hard on it, so this one should be fine.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Anyone have a Stumpjumper Evo? Specialized has some that are available on their website, kind of bummed I can't get it from my LBS but they told me they still get a little bit of a cut of the sale and since the lead times on anything with suspension/hydraulic disc brakes are enormous right now, to go ahead and get it from them direct if I wanted one.

I have a Salsa Timberjack now but was looking at getting a FS carbon bike for more serious riding since I'm going to be doing a temporary assignment for work in an area with real mountains. The Stumpjumper Evo looks like a lot of bike for the money, especially compared to Pivot/Giant.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The price on the expert went up $1k with basically no improvement to components. The bike wasn’t a great value to begin with. I’m still grouchy I didn’t get one last year due to supply issues. Everyone says they are great bikes it’s just on you to decide if you need that much bike.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

n8r posted:

The price on the expert went up $1k with basically no improvement to components. The bike wasn’t a great value to begin with. I’m still grouchy I didn’t get one last year due to supply issues. Everyone says they are great bikes it’s just on you to decide if you need that much bike.

It’s actually up $1300 now compared to the 2021 models. I buy a lot of stuff for work (not bike stuff I guess) and 20-30% inflation on components is not uncommon, so that’s kind of what I think is driving that. With no apparent slowdown of inflation, $6300 might look like a deal next year.

It’s probably more bike than I need right now, but I like the flexibility of the design with all the adjustment potential.

The alloy models look perfect but the earliest my shop could get one was May. Of 2023.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

LordOfThePants posted:

The alloy models look perfect but the earliest my shop could get one was May. Of 2023.

I've heard on social media that the Maxxis tire factory is looking at a two-year timeline to deliver major wholesale orders now. It's bonkers.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Just stumbled upon an in stock Ibis Ripley AF Deore and, after watching multiple other bikes slip away from me, I jumped on it. It should be NBD in a few days.

:homebrew:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Senf posted:

Just stumbled upon an in stock Ibis Ripley AF Deore and, after watching multiple other bikes slip away from me, I jumped on it. It should be NBD in a few days.

:homebrew:

Hell yes

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

It’s actually up $1300 now compared to the 2021 models. I buy a lot of stuff for work (not bike stuff I guess) and 20-30% inflation on components is not uncommon, so that’s kind of what I think is driving that. With no apparent slowdown of inflation, $6300 might look like a deal next year.

It’s probably more bike than I need right now, but I like the flexibility of the design with all the adjustment potential.

I have a Norco optic c3 which I’ve been really happy with. Looks like the price only went up a little bit on it. It’s a good choice if you want progressive geometry but don’t need the travel.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

LordOfThePants posted:

Anyone have a Stumpjumper Evo? Specialized has some that are available on their website, kind of bummed I can't get it from my LBS but they told me they still get a little bit of a cut of the sale and since the lead times on anything with suspension/hydraulic disc brakes are enormous right now, to go ahead and get it from them direct if I wanted one.

I have a Salsa Timberjack now but was looking at getting a FS carbon bike for more serious riding since I'm going to be doing a temporary assignment for work in an area with real mountains. The Stumpjumper Evo looks like a lot of bike for the money, especially compared to Pivot/Giant.

I have an evo expert, it’s a fantastic bike. Even at the new price point, that build seemed a better value than comparable stuff from Santa Cruz or yeti, and had for me the huge benefit of existing within our physical realm for purchase. I was kinda set on a ripmo but didn’t want to wait a year.

That’s a pretty big swing away from a hard tail. I’m guessing you’ve done your research but the EVO is a smidge on the “big” side for a first foray in to FS or something that’s ideal as an all-arounder. The long/slack/heavier trade offs are perfect for big trails or park but do feel a little much for blue flow. Still great on middling difficulty terrain, but worth considering.

Unless your assignment is in Moab. Then just buy the EVO and don’t think twice about it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

:mario:

2019 Cannondale caad fat 2, with a Manitou Mastodon Pro and some carbon touches. Upgraded BB and cranks. Internally routed dropper. Hell yeah, I've gots me a fatty.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

All around riding, east slopes of the Cascades. Options:
Evil Offering GX
Stumpjumper Expert
Occam M30
Ripmo AF
Stumpjumper Evo Expert

I know these are pretty different bikes. Just curious what people would pick. Buddy is shopping for a new bike.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Any advice for someone about to do a cross country race despite never really riding cross country style/has a hardcore hardtail?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

i flunked out posted:

Any advice for someone about to do a cross country race despite never really riding cross country style/has a hardcore hardtail?

go fast and/or win

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Evil Offering GX
Stumpjumper Expert
Occam M30
Ripmo AF
Stumpjumper Evo Expert

I know these are pretty different bikes. Just curious what people would pick. Buddy is shopping for a new bike.

From my in depth analysis of looking at pictures, I say the Orbea because it is the prettiest.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

e.pilot posted:

go fast and/or win

I can do that

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

n8r posted:

Evil Offering GX
Stumpjumper Expert
Occam M30
Ripmo AF
Stumpjumper Evo Expert

I rode the Ripmo and the two stumpys at a demo day a few months ago and liked the Ripmo the most by a lot. Caveat: I am a hardcore roadie and new to MTB, so I think it was because the Ripmo felt sharper and less squishy than the other two.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

i flunked out posted:

do what I did: go too hard, dial back, go too hard again, lose, puke on your bike in the finish corral, drink beer and sign up for another race

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Try not to crash or get a flat tire. Get a decent warmup and be ready for a really fast start. Pre-ride the course so you generally know where it goes, how long the climbs are, technical features, sharp or steep corners, etc. Then just ride your bike. Try to push yourself a bit but also have fun. Also don't forget your shoes or helmet at home.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Found a really nice DT swiss rear wheel for a bargain price but it's 28 spoke. Am I going to die riding that on technical terrain? I'm a fairly light rider and I've never destroyed a wheel but I'm pretty sure everything I've ever ridden has at least 32 spokes. Trying to replace a blown Stans hub.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I am big and ride like an idiot on 28 spoke wheels and haven’t died yet

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

e.pilot posted:

I am big and ride like an idiot on 28 spoke wheels and haven’t died yet
Yeah, but 28 spokes on dick wood is like 40 on a normal bike.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CopperHound posted:

Yeah, but 28 spokes on dick wood is like 40 on a normal bike.

dick wood has 20 spoke wheels

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Nohearum posted:

Found a really nice DT swiss rear wheel for a bargain price but it's 28 spoke. Am I going to die riding that on technical terrain? I'm a fairly light rider and I've never destroyed a wheel but I'm pretty sure everything I've ever ridden has at least 32 spokes. Trying to replace a blown Stans hub.

As long as the rim is strong enough you will be fine. I've ridden 28 spoke wheels in Whistler Bike Park with no issues. That said 32 makes more sense to me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You're fine, send it.

heavy as a cement plant running 24 spoke here and haven't died yet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

I have one and totally love it. I was afraid the 160/150 was going to be too sendy but it pedals just as well as the old 150/140 stumpy of prior gen and is more capable to boot. I have the headset set to the middle setting and the rear flip chip in high position. You could really slack it out to go to the bike park if you wanted to. It makes me more confident on the more difficult terrain and the rear traction is better than the previous version when you're doing techy climbs/runups. Not sure if this is just down to the new rubber compound or what else. The only thing i would change from stock are the lovely grips and change to a 2.6 front tire but that's just personal preference and depends on your terrain.

From today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any better hitch rack recommendations thank a Kuat Transver v2? It's my birthday gift so a similarly priced one would be best. 2 bike capacity is all I need.