Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Game night tonight at the normal time, 7:30 CST

https://discord.gg/h4zVDUsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1496998406648221700

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You can watch it being livestreamed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUT36YGOh8

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--yeah that's the one

There's a livestream out there of it if you want to seek it out. I can't parse it in any meaningful way, it's just a bunch of flashing lights. But the Ukranian return fire doesn't seem to be worrying them given there's a bunch of Russian troops just standing around.

e: Looks like the troops skedaddled so maybe something or other happened.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 4, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

^^--yeah that's the one

There's a livestream out there of it if you want to seek it out. I can't parse it in any meaningful way, it's just a bunch of flashing lights. But the Ukranian return fire doesn't seem to be worrying them given there's a bunch of Russian troops just standing around.

I'm just leaving it in a corner on my 2nd monitor figuring if I see a giantic flashing light that things are probably real bad.

And just as I say that the middle of the screen is freaking out and flashing bright.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know how modernish nuclear power plants work, if the Russian attack is successful is it more likely a bunch of Ukrainians lose power or that and also everything around there dies from radiation poisoning?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Skwirl posted:

I don't know how modernish nuclear power plants work, if the Russian attack is successful is it more likely a bunch of Ukrainians lose power or that and also everything around there dies from radiation poisoning?

They're supposed to be idiot proof and couldn't fail if they tried if they're up to date, I have no clue about how up to date they are.

Or how true that is I guess, but they're supposed to be able to not melt down unless there's a whole lot more than shelling going on.

Kalli posted:

And just as I say that the middle of the screen is freaking out and flashing bright.

I think...maaaybe the defense wiped out those few vehicles whatever they are in the middle? Or at least hurt them. That's where all those soldiers were just milling around 15 minutes ago.

Think I'm just going to wait to find out, I don't want to watch either a disaster or guys getting killed either way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Was just in one of the russia/ukraine threads talking about this. Supposedly, the russian forces were firing on one of the admin buildings, not directly at a reactor. Still way too close for comfort, but it's clear the russians want to capture or shut down the reactor supplying ukraine with 25% of its electricity.

Also this is not a chernobyl style reactor, it fails-safe. The worst-case scenarios involve maybe destroying/opening up storage of spent rods on site, or if the shutdown reactor cooled pools ran dry you could get a fukushima-style hydrogen explosion, but that's very very unlikely because lots of systems are in place to prevent it from happening. Fukushima ran dry due to an earthquake plus a tsunami loving up those redundant systems.

That said, this is bad optics for the russians of course. One wonders if the commander on-site knows that the attack is being livestreamed globally by on-site webcams.

e. also the livestream is about this:

CommieGIR posted:

They are not even actively shooting towards the reactors. Here

Camera field of vision, target building on right (administration) reactors on lower left

And this is what is inside the reactor building. It will take more than RPGs and machine guns to breach both the containment, the building, the cooling systems, AND the core.
...but the russians have been shelling the facility all day, apparently, and that may be more indiscriminate? Maybe?
There's a lot of internet warrior conjecture involved here, I'm just repeating what I'm reading, etc.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 4, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

It was slightly cheaper than buying microbrews, obviously not cheaper than just getting the cheapest poo poo. When I home brewed the funnest part was thinking up names for your beer. My Joyce Carol Oatmeal Stout was well renowned among my friends.

Did you do all-grain? Between equipment and shipping of grains, candi sugars, hops I was way outside $/oz for a typical big boy craft sixer.

Even keeping a boatload of yeast strains I propagated myself and making real wort starters.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I haven't been able to brew for a couple years now and I greatly miss it. When I finally get my house done in a few weeks it's on! I've got 4 kegs (5g) and a kegerator waiting to be filled.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

wandler20 posted:

I haven't been able to brew for a couple years now and I greatly miss it. When I finally get my house done in a few weeks it's on! I've got 4 kegs (5g) and a kegerator waiting to be filled.

Same. Since the kiddo came along I put it all on hold and welp

Got some big welded kettles in my folks’ attic I need to pick up. I’m going to try and get back to it this year. Was doing a steady run of clean farmhouse brews and big estery Belgians with no-chill technique when baby came along. I’d like to pick it up again.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

LeeMajors posted:

Same. Since the kiddo came along I put it all on hold and welp

Got some big welded kettles in my folks’ attic I need to pick up. I’m going to try and get back to it this year. Was doing a steady run of clean farmhouse brews and big estery Belgians with no-chill technique when baby came along. I’d like to pick it up again.

Nice. I've been using an old 8 gallon keg but acquired a 16 that I want to convert so I can boil a double batch. My cream ale and chocolate milk stout go way too fast. I haven't got into anything too crazy yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LeeMajors posted:

Did you do all-grain? Between equipment and shipping of grains, candi sugars, hops I was way outside $/oz for a typical big boy craft sixer.

Even keeping a boatload of yeast strains I propagated myself and making real wort starters.

I got the equipment as a gift and bought ingredient kits from a brew store, a kit was $30-50 depending on type of beer and I got slightly less than 40 beers out of it. A six pack of Lagunitas was $12 and home brewed was roughly a dollar a beer. I didn't get far enough where I was buying ingredients separately, I could imagine that would either be cheaper or way more expensive if you start getting into esoteric stuff.

This was in the SF Bay area, so maybe hops were cheaper and beer was more expensive. I was waiting tables and specifically trying not to work more than I needed to at the time, if I really cared about money over time and effort it would have been much simpler to just work an occasional extra shift and buy beer, but the brewing was fun.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

if I really cared about money over time and effort it would have been much simpler to just work an occasional extra shift and buy beer, but the brewing was fun.

Same yeah. It’s not at all about saving money. I’ve prob spent over a grand on brewing equipment over the years even with a fairly simple all grain setup, but it’s just about the fun.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Dang we’re all a bunch of used to has been brewers then I guess. I did malt extracts when I was younger but finally scrounged together everything to do all grain a few years ago but have only done like one brew a year. I just drained my first actual kegged beer last weekend so now it’s time to start a new one!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'd need a 15 Bbl brew tank to keep up with my consumption, unfortunately

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Who's got two thumbs and is now President of their HOA?

Gonna Ron Swanson this bitch

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GD_American posted:

I’m very sorry.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

T-Square posted:

Dang we’re all a bunch of used to has been brewers then I guess. I did malt extracts when I was younger but finally scrounged together everything to do all grain a few years ago but have only done like one brew a year. I just drained my first actual kegged beer last weekend so now it’s time to start a new one!

Bottling day took the starch out of me once the kiddo came along. Especially by myself on a 10g setup.

Then I was too busy.

Then we sold the house. Etc. Ad nauseam...

Now she's far more self-sufficient and I just need to invest in sixtel kegs and be done with it.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

GD_American posted:

You'll die against the wall just like Mao would have wanted, traitor

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GD_American posted:

:rip:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GD_American posted:

Congrats on finding out that your HOA is full of MKULTRA conditioning.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

T-Square posted:

As we all predicted, my friend’s crazy mom wants to give up her Blue Heeler that she rescued three months ago, after getting married and changing her name so the rescues didn’t see her old name which is black listed from rescuing animals because she always sends them back. I met the dog a couple of times and she’s a total sweetheart and I really wish I was in a position to take her, but I’m not :(

My friend just vented a huge novel at me because she’s done this type of poo poo since he was a kid and every time he tries to talk her of getting a new pet it turns into a screaming match

Is the dog good with cats?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Top Chef is back and I am down since it's one of my comfort food shows. One of my close friends is friends with a winner and one of the top 3 from last season so it's always interesting to hear her thoughts on things.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

GD_American posted:

It’s about time chat thread had a new cop

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/FlagrantMag/status/1499543589981929473?t=J_L6C6OOI9Fq6UehKDaEGA&s=19

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

A car has 4 wheels, but it also has 4 doors :thunk:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Freaquency posted:

A car has 4 wheels, but it also has 4 doors :thunk:

Office chairs have five pairs of wheels generally, and office life has taught me there are dozens of them not being used at any time just stuffed in various corners and closets

One floor of a cube farm, let's say 50 desks, 10 wheels per desk, plus a bunch of extras...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Intruder posted:

Office chairs have five pairs of wheels generally, and office life has taught me there are dozens of them not being used at any time just stuffed in various corners and closets

One floor of a cube farm, let's say 50 desks, 10 wheels per desk, plus a bunch of extras...

things in your house that have doors: refrigerator, cabinets, oven, microwave, shower (maybe)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alaois posted:

things in your house that have doors: refrigerator, cabinets, oven, microwave, shower (maybe)

Your house itself has many doors!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

do gears count as wheels? how about pulleys. How about the rollers in conveyer belts?
lots of machines have wheels in them. Hmm, machines often have doors too though.

e.
https://twitter.com/sferenchak/status/1499620904917078018
Yes but how many tiny little doors do they make???

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 4, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

Yeah, but my parents 2 bedroom condo has like 8 doors and no wheels

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but my parents 2 bedroom condo has like 8 doors and no wheels

no sliding doors? No pulleys on curtain pulls? No drawers with wheels in the slides? No chairs with wheels? No air conditioner, no fans with cylindrical bearings, no printer for the computer?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
is a gear a wheel? how about a hard drive. if pc fans count as well ive got 8 wheels in my computer

ceiling fan. dryer. microwave. although i guess microwave is a net neutral since it has a door too

is a toilet seat cover a door? it's a door for your poop. or maybe a cabinet, basically a tiny door

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Is a hot dog a wheel?

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
If you think about it a sliding door is basically a sandwich.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If you think about it, windows are really just small sliding doors.

Don’t forget access panels and all your cabinet doors and drawers.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Eyes and mouths are windows, which are doors, which are also inedible sandwiches.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheels

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors

Gotta go with The Doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Bottling day took the starch out of me once the kiddo came along. Especially by myself on a 10g setup.

Then I was too busy.

Then we sold the house. Etc. Ad nauseam...

Now she's far more self-sufficient and I just need to invest in sixtel kegs and be done with it.

Yeah bottling sucks. I scored two corny kegs on Craigslist years ago for like $35 and then some random kegging supply company had a sale on refurb corny kegs a while back so I picked up another two for like $40 and now I just have a stash of empty unused kegs lol. One day I’ll have a bar with a keezer and tap tower, one day :allears:

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Is the dog good with cats?

I have no idea, but she’s a very young (~1 year I think) heeler so my guess is she’ll probably get off on herding/harassing them, although I doubt she would hurt them intentionally. Both of my boys have recently cost me close to $4,000 in likely stress-related urinary issues, so that’s my my main reason for not wanting to introduce a new doggo into the home unfortunately.