Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

CommieGIR posted:

Its not going to be Chernobyl. At worst they melt down, which sucks, but won't start burning or explode.

Imagine having to try and explain that.

"Don't worry! the nuke plant is having a meltdown, but it's not that big of a deal!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

ethnonationalism is a big part of hindutva which is basically what Modi is the avatar of

Also yes a shitload of trade deals

Notes from Belarus: troops have reportedly received commands to post up on the Ukrainian side of the border but aren't happy about it

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1499490803101667341?t=tTLC4olsxbHV-XY521Tzfg&s=19

Given how things have worked out for paratroopers so far I wouldn't be happy either

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vando posted:

They would have to be trying extremely hard to do that, it's not the kind of thing that gets broken by an oopsie, the generator structures are also hardened and in more than one location.

By no means take that off the table given Russian conduct so far, but it doesn't seem to be high up their list right now.

Pretty cool we have an expert on that power plant in the thread!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

ah, the expert on experts has logged on to qualify the expertise of the alleged experts

rate me, if you dare. i will withstand you. en garde

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Even Fukushima is largely an overblown issue.

Not great not terrible

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

ah, the expert on experts has logged on to qualify the expertise of the alleged experts

What does that even mean.

I think it's fair to label the situation as cause for concern, acting like you know what would happen when a nuclear plant is shelled seems dumb.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Fame Douglas posted:

Nobody says you have to take my word for it!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fame Douglas posted:

I'd like to see the expert that's confident shelling a nuclear power plant, resulting in an out-of-control fire, couldn't possibly be a cause for concern. Not sure why you felt the need to post this weird hot take.

I’m seeing top nuclear experts say that while attacking a nu lear plant is bad, it won’t just blow the gently caress up, and if there were a safety risk (beyond bullets and plain old fire), we would get a lot of warning over hours and days. The Ukrainian Foreign Minister is, at best, being misinformed and parroting bad info.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

cr0y posted:

As a dumb American that can only speak one language, and poorly at that it's very hard to wrap my head around having two distinct languages that essentially can be understood regardless which language you speak natively. Is there an English analog to something like this? I'm assuming it's different than an accent

Do you know how long it took me to figure out what "I'm fixin ta do" meant when i moved from chicago to dallas? I was a kid, but still, it was like a foreign language. What? What are you fixing?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

I’m seeing top nuclear experts say that while attacking a nu lear plant is bad, it won’t just blow the gently caress up, and if there were a safety risk (beyond bullets and plain old fire), we would get a lot of warning over hours and days. The Ukrainian Foreign Minister is, at best, being misinformed and parroting bad info.

I'm sure that's true, but not what I was talking about at all. Seems even you, trying to downplay the risk, aknowledge there's cause for concern.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

KitConstantine posted:

The International Atomic Energy Agency is monitoring, so that's good.

https://twitter.com/iaeaorg/status/1499552874719850549?t=bxPS3hPS6E5mK1nD0FnkGQ&s=19

Question: what kind of authority do these guys have to get in to inspect stuff during an active war?

They've made a few statements today (link to the most recent, now out of date by hours) but can they do anything if Russia says gently caress off?

Authority grows out of the barrel of a gun. And IAEA has no guns.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vando posted:

Nobody says you have to take my word for it!

Let's quit dancing around the subject, are you an expert on that power plant?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

mlmp08 posted:

The Ukrainian Foreign Minister is saying things that effectively translate to "please stop shooting my stuff" which is pretty much his entire job at this point.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
^^ yes, concur that he is saying false stuff to try to get results. He might believe those things, I dunno.

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm sure that's true, but not what I was talking about at all. Seems even you, trying to downplay the risk, aknowledge there's cause for concern.

The biggest concern right now is the safety of plant workers and firefighters from like… bullets.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

The Ukrainian Foreign Minister is, at best, being misinformed and parroting bad info.

I forgive him for dramatizing the dangers of a firefight near his reactor

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

The biggest concern right now is the safety of plant workers and firefighters from like… bullets.

No, the biggest concern is a potential meltdown because of the plant being shelled.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

6 countries sending air force planes to Poland today. It's nice to have friends :)
https://twitter.com/Gerjon_/status/1499468149342801924?t=bdL07tmPlTXu7QC4dVSJRw&s=19

I think they brought presents

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The main danger is power goes out and it’s dangerously cold. That is the most immediate danger to locals.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ikasuhito posted:

Imagine having to try and explain that.

"Don't worry! the nuke plant is having a meltdown, but it's not that big of a deal!"

The sheer amount of damage we do daily with fossil fuels is much, much more concerning. And the bodycount from this war more of an issue.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Fame Douglas posted:

Let's quit dancing around the subject, are you an expert on that power plant?

Yeah I built it with my own hands

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

My reactor? The best! Bullets? Nothing. RPG? Hardened like my mother-in-law! Let them fight and see!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

The sheer amount of damage we do daily with fossil fuels is much, much more concerning. And the bodycount from this war more of an issue.

Does that mean additional damage from a nuclear meltdown, sure to cause additional skepticism of nuclear power, wouldn't matter

Vando posted:

Yeah I built it with my own hands

A simple "no" would have sufficed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

No, the biggest concern is a potential meltdown because of the plant being shelled.

Yeah I'm hoping someone had a long hard chat with the Russian commander there and he saw the light.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fame Douglas posted:

No, the biggest concern is a potential meltdown form the plant being shelled.

A meltdown isn't the biggest concern, because that would be contained to only the immediate area and is relatively easy to clean up. What people are clearly worrying about is a massive hydrogen explosion like in Chernobyl, which is not possible due to the modernized plant design.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

You shat your pants already about chernobyl

or was it some other reactor

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 4, 2022

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

what possible purpose is served by shooting RPGs at a reactor

like, who gets their rpg out, drives up to a nuclear reactor, points it, aims it, and pulls the trigger while thinking "this is a good idea that will get me a result I desire"

Probably shouldn't be giving a generation raised by Call of Duty actual weapons.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Feel good post

Nice story from Kyiv today
https://twitter.com/andersostlund/status/1499344396914941954?t=e0PXs19KCweTA0z8eMkgxQ&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Much like Fukushima's meltdown: It would be bad, but nobody died from that. 18,000 people died from the Tsunami, not the meltdown.

People are dying from this war.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Fame Douglas posted:

A simple "no" would have sufficed.

There is nothing I can tell you that would satisfy you.

As a general point, and as I said earlier: I can tell you what I know. Nobody has to believe it. It is pointless for anyone to repeatedly challenge this kind of commentary because 100% of it is unverifiable, because we are nerds on a website. Decide for yourself if it's useful, but unless you can prove you know better it is a waste of everyone's time to say "but you can't prove this!" every time someone says something that you don't like about a situation.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Probably shouldn't be giving a generation raised by Call of Duty actual weapons.

Speaking of Call of Duty, I'm pretty sure we're witnessing the plot to the next ten years of Blops.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vando posted:

There is nothing I can tell you that would satisfy you.

As a general point, and as I said earlier: I can tell you what I know. Nobody has to believe it. It is pointless for anyone to repeatedly challenge this kind of commentary because 100% of it is unverifiable, because we are nerds on a website. Decide for yourself if it's useful, but unless you can prove you know better it is a waste of everyone's time to say "but you can't prove this!" every time someone says something that you don't like about a situation.

Again, a simple "no" would have sufficed. Just accept you can't say for sure, either - we're talking about future events in a war, here. Personally, I hope the Russians aren't THIS irresponsible.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm the guy who chooses to read pages of commentary from people i am convinced know nothing at all

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Atreiden posted:

Are there actually any treaties about what to do with a nuclear powerplant in a warzone?

*Lemayishly* "It's only a war crime if you lose."

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

Farming Simulator people are making handy work of War of Tanks people. I'm looking for a lesson there but I can't find it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

CommieGIR posted:

it is fairly absurd to try and turn this back into one of the classic goon "nuclear power is good" discussions. yes, we get it, it won't turn into chernobyl and america should build more nuclear plants or whatever. however, a warzone is unpredictable. artillery is famously prone to inaccuracy. fire fights and shelling at the plant have the potential to damage emergency backups and cause a loss of coolant, and hits on the reactor have the potential to cause leaks of radioactive material. and fires at the reactor have a potential to spread that material into the air and very far. so it is dangerous. even if it not very likely, it is likely enough to be pretty concerning! again, they are not actually designed to handle being fired at by military weapons.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
nvm

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Fame Douglas posted:

Again, a simple "no" would have sufficed. Just accept you can't say for sure, either - we're talking about future events in a war, here. Personally, I hope the Russians aren't THIS irresponsible.

I have literally said I can't say for sure in pretty much every post on this topic. Bad things could happen, they probably won't, and I've been wrong before!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

If they do, then yeah they will melt down. But again, the only thing we know for sure is one of the buildings is damaged, but is a unit currently undergoing maintenance.

Its not going to be Chernobyl. At worst they melt down, which sucks, but won't start burning or explode. It'll be a problem for anyone in the immediate area, but that's about it.

Even Fukushima is largely an overblown issue.

Chernobyl's meltdown was also magnified by the fact that, like other RBMK reactors, it did not have a full containment structure, so the explosion just blew the whole building housing the reactor apart. That is not the case with this plant's design.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.
I've been out of the loop for a bit... what the hell happened? I heard the Russians bombed a nuke plant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KitConstantine posted:

Also yes a shitload of trade deals

Notes from Belarus: troops have reportedly received commands to post up on the Ukrainian side of the border but aren't happy about it

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1499490803101667341?t=tTLC4olsxbHV-XY521Tzfg&s=19

Given how things have worked out for paratroopers so far I wouldn't be happy either

i am kinda curious if we are gonna start seeing Russian client states telling Russians to gently caress off or eat poo poo now. i know Kazakhstan's told russia they arnt doing their merc dirty work and Russia is now threatening them. i wouldn't be shocked if Belarus slow walks their participation in this too.