Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh yeah I didn't catch that you were feudal. I've had a mixed go of it with factions this patch, sometimes tons, sometimes none, I don't really know what's going on, I'm not changing any of the rules.

If you want to try some real Knight fuckery, go setup in Egypt or Mesopotamia and spam the Camelry buildings all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Playing as an Irish petty king on the early medieval period I fought a neighboring Duchy to gain his holdings and my army that was ~400 stronger than him by pure count just kept getting wrecked, even though it seemed I had the stronger army.

Do Knights make a huge difference in army performance? Should I save up and build a Duchy building in my capital to give me better knights? If so, I welcome any pointers and suggestions.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’d look at knights and also men at arms. There are little diamonds next to the army to show quality. A smaller, but higher quality army (meaning more/better knights or more MaA) can still wreck a larger army. Location matters too. A defending army on a hill gets bonuses.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Samadhi posted:

Do Knights make a huge difference in army performance? Should I save up and build a Duchy building in my capital to give me better knights? If so, I welcome any pointers and suggestions.

Knights certainly can; check the combat details screen after battle and you can see for yourself.

The Duchy buildings are extremely powerful, you should absolutely prioritize them. The Knight one is good, but I typically go for the MaA one, either Blacksmith or Jousting Ground depending on whether I'm using foot or Cav. (also make sure you have good MaA they make a huge difference) The maintenance discount and 15% combat proficiency is too good to turn down.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I enjoy when a huge Muslim empire with 50k troops declares war on me over the Sword of Muhammad so I just surrender immediately (well, after they’ve blown a bunch of gold raising their armies and embarking them) because who gives a poo poo? It does nothing for me, an Asatru.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Samadhi posted:

Playing as an Irish petty king on the early medieval period I fought a neighboring Duchy to gain his holdings and my army that was ~400 stronger than him by pure count just kept getting wrecked, even though it seemed I had the stronger army.

The battle predictor thingie is pretty good and you should absolutely pay attention to it and the details it's trying to tell you about. It's pops up under the move order when two armies are likely to collide. In addition to having more Men-at-arms, very major culprits include trying to cross a river into a defender (HUGE! and the AI knows to exploit it defensively) and just having a worse general leading the army. Each man-at-arms is worth 4x (or more) its weight in levies so you can eyeball a guy's military under the diplomacy screen before committing to a war.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

The Duchy buildings are extremely powerful, you should absolutely prioritize them. The Knight one is good, but I typically go for the MaA one, either Blacksmith or Jousting Ground depending on whether I'm using foot or Cav. (also make sure you have good MaA they make a huge difference) The maintenance discount and 15% combat proficiency is too good to turn down.

I pretty much always go for the siege bonus ones. By Trebuchets you're basically able to blitzkrieg any war without fighting more than one battle. AI never seems to specialize MaA/buildings anyways, so additional MaA bonuses are usually unnecessary.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

By trebuchets every siege takes like 14 days anyway, I don't know what the point of boosting them further would even be. Meanwhile wiping 12k stacks with 2k troops never gets old :v:

"The AI is an inept pushover" criticism applies to most strategies in the game imo.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Got bored with my Haestein game after conquering most of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. Diverged my culture and moved my capital from Constantinople to Socotra for the cheevos. What’s a fun start outside the default options? Thinking of doing an India game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's a good question: The abbasid court was a cosmetic pack, but is the Clan / Arabic stuff fully fleshed out and fun? I know some stuff got dropped/downgraded from ck2 and the game is centrally designed around Catholic/Feudal so I'm kinda leery about doing oddball starts after finding out the hard way the Byzantium was effectively unimplemented.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I’ve been having fun with Barcelona in the 1066 start. You have a defined objective in the reqonquista and your culture lets you get high partition right away.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Got bored with my Haestein game after conquering most of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. Diverged my culture and moved my capital from Constantinople to Socotra for the cheevos. What’s a fun start outside the default options? Thinking of doing an India game.

Sri Lanka is the chillest start in the game.

There's also a jewish faith with holy sites in India that I've had my eye on doing a playthrough as.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

When did they make it so Holy Orders can attack members of the same faith? I was attacking the Duke of Genoa (we’re both Catholic) and he hired the Templars when a Muslim holy war was declared on him and then used them to defeat me in battle. I did not know that could happen so I’m a little peeved.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure they can only hire the orders if they're fighting someone of a hostile or evil faith but they can use them against any of their enemies if they are hired.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That’s probably a hostile army thing where they’re not necessarily at war with you, but will fight you anyway. Were they orange or red?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

That’s probably a hostile army thing where they’re not necessarily at war with you, but will fight you anyway. Were they orange or red?

Red. “Enemy Army” when I moused over. I went to attack the smaller army assuming the holy order couldn’t join in and they, uh, joined in.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Red. “Enemy Army” when I moused over. I went to attack the smaller army assuming the holy order couldn’t join in and they, uh, joined in.

In ck2 the no-combat tag was applied to the holy order unit, which is probably what you were thinking of. In ck3 they are just considered a normal unit, with the only restriction being if you can hire them or not.

More than once I've done an offensive holy war to hire a holy order to use defensively against co-religionists before.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Yeah if you have an Evil neighbour, you can just start a second war with them before raising troops for your main war. Just can't let it end until you no longer need the Holy Order. Biggest issue with India if you go an eastern religion - HOs are mostly worthless unless you have spare prestige/piety. I suppose getting bonus cash when they ask for random baronies might still be worth it...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HO's are a terrible investment in a meta sense everywhere imo. The cash you need to establish one in the first place can fund an equally capable army that will be at your beck and call. Outside of a roleplaying perspective the only compelling reason to make them is to sneakily disinherit your spare heirs.

It'd be cool if you could only donate the holdings and your head of faith would help fund them or something.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If you're a minority religion Holy Orders get additional value; both for helping your puny co-heathens in staying alive vs random packs of feral counts, and also since once you've gotten your weirdo religion founded you tend to be lacking in piety dumps and so the HO is basically free. And then there's stuff like the Jomsvikkings which don't even cost gold!

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Norse and Åsatro is so much better than anything else in the game. I get that it is because it is the only culture/religion with a flavor pack. But with the tempo they are releasing they will be overpowered for years.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Holy orders can get pretty beefy if you found your own religion and patronize your own order pretty quickly, since vassals will give them holdings which seems to increases their size. I checked a recent save where I'm one generation after establishing a holy order and it's already up to 1200 Order Knights, which is about twice as many Heavy Infantry as 500 gold would buy (and maintenance-free, not subject to your caps, etc.).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 3, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm facing a holy war, is there anything I can do to bring in more people, or does it automatically draw in everyone of the same faith? I'm not seeing much for options aside from converting everyone I can.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Is there a quicker way to form a hybrid culture? Im playing as rurikid trying to form Russia and I've had my guy accepting culture on my capital for like 40 years and Russian is only at 4 percent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zig-Zag posted:

Is there a quicker way to form a hybrid culture? Im playing as rurikid trying to form Russia and I've had my guy accepting culture on my capital for like 40 years and Russian is only at 4 percent.

Granting titles to Russian culture nobles is the key, it's +1 CA per county, probably more for duchies though I don't remember.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm facing a holy war, is there anything I can do to bring in more people, or does it automatically draw in everyone of the same faith? I'm not seeing much for options aside from converting everyone I can.

Get more allies is about all you can do. Even Crusades don't pull in every potential defender.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hryme posted:

Norse and Åsatro is so much better than anything else in the game. I get that it is because it is the only culture/religion with a flavor pack. But with the tempo they are releasing they will be overpowered for years.

Yeah and it’s super obnoxious if you’re playing anyone else in that part of the world.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Granting titles to Russian culture nobles is the key, it's +1 CA per county, probably more for duchies though I don't remember.

Yeah you get a nice bump for granting titles plus you get the “vassalage” and “intermingling in the realm” numbers counting up each year. There’s also a perk that gets a percentage point if you learn the language of the other culture. Can’t remember if it’s a dynasty perk or Diplomacy lifestyle. Maybe Learning?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Zig-Zag posted:

Apart from the other tips, you might also check to make sure there aren't any wars constantly being declared between Norse and Russian rulers, since each one of those can erase years of your steward's work. It's also helpful to get a mod that fixes the secondary councilor events, since there's one for stewards that gives a big chunk of cultural acceptance all at once.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I think the loss is based on casus belli, so a county war is -1CA, duchy is -2, etc.

The councillor bug is absurd, I can't believe they haven't hotfixed it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
utoh, whats the councilor bug?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Serephina posted:

utoh, whats the councilor bug?

Councilor events are straight up broken at the moment:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-missing-council-marshal-events-more.1510618/

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah between that and the claimant faction bug I haven't actually touched the game since Royal Court, which is annoying.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Was the claimant bug fixed? I haven’t noticed it recently.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It has not yet been fixed - the one hotfix since RC dropped three weeks ago fixed some other bugs that were more immediately showstoppy, I guess, but not those.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And there's been basically no communication from the dev team since then. There was a dev diary from a separate team doing a console version, but the last main dev diary was a month ago and that one was patch notes.

Maybe they crunched the dev team real hard to make deadline and then everybody got two weeks off in lieu? Idgi

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

gently caress I'm so pissed. I was one county away from uniting the Slavs, but I was having to slog it out in mountainous territory so the war was taking forever. Then the loving pope starts a holy war with me, so I white peace my war to prepare for the holy war. I was so close.

To make matters worse, I had been running Czech culture the whole time, but my last heir had switched to Russian. Once he inherited my giant Bohemian empire, I had to switch him back to Czech because it was way better than Russian. What I didn't pay attention to was the succession laws changed. I had been running primogeniture for a long time, and it switched to confederate partition. When that guy dies, my empire was split three ways. If not for the loving pope I would have united the slavs and been done. ARGH!

Behold what I had before it all fell apart. There's even some counties in Iberia and Italy in there.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
dumb question but how did they get this view of their character?

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1493978481725784067

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
That looks like the title screen, if I had to guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress I'm so pissed. I was one county away from uniting the Slavs, but I was having to slog it out in mountainous territory so the war was taking forever. Then the loving pope starts a holy war with me, so I white peace my war to prepare for the holy war. I was so close.

To make matters worse, I had been running Czech culture the whole time, but my last heir had switched to Russian. Once he inherited my giant Bohemian empire, I had to switch him back to Czech because it was way better than Russian. What I didn't pay attention to was the succession laws changed. I had been running primogeniture for a long time, and it switched to confederate partition. When that guy dies, my empire was split three ways. If not for the loving pope I would have united the slavs and been done. ARGH!

Behold what I had before it all fell apart. There's even some counties in Iberia and Italy in there.

If you got Confederate Partitioned in the age of possible primogeniture you have claims to all the top level titles that got split off, and you should the innovation that lets you press multiple claims at the same time, meaning it'll take all of two wars to put it back together.

e: also lmao at that fragmentation. God drat this game needs work, I should really care less about it.