Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Kirby rules. I love Kirby but I am generally more into the non traditional Kirby games (Pinball Land, Dream Course, Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn) and this is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah the float feels kind of weird and is gonna take some getting used to. It's pretty much more like Yoshi's flutter or just an extended double jump to correct yourself with, since the normal jump is faster to move around with.

Larryb posted:

Also I don’t know if this is just for the demo or not but as I mentioned earlier this is the first Kirby platformer that doesn’t let you keep your current copy ability when entering a new stage and that’s really weird to me.

Probably just for the demo as this is a level select demo, and not a first part of the game demo. Some of the trailers indicate that Kirby's attributes would carry over from stage to stage, given that he can buy food in Waddle Dee Town to heal up.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’ve played at least 12 hours of it so far and no crashes and loading is fine. It’s amazing get it.

Returned to FfX after a hiatus and everyone’s dead? This is the trial with Mika and Seymour, how is this possible? I thought the dead became monsters if unsent. It’s a weird turn, not as strange as FF8 and it works due to the likable cast but I’m confused.

You appear to have decided to take a break at literally one of the 3 most important plot reveals of ffx

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ok there's many Darius on sale which is king? I assume arcade but there's that newer one...

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Larryb posted:

Also I don’t know if this is just for the demo or not but as I mentioned earlier this is the first Kirby platformer that doesn’t let you keep your current copy ability when entering a new stage and that’s really weird to me.

There's a brief shot of what appears to be a traditional stage select / world map screen, so presumably any sort of stage-to-stage carry over will happen there

Some of the best secrets in Kirby have required finding a way to "sneak" powers into a level that doesn't natively have it, so I'd be really surprised if that changed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mister Facetious posted:

How is this a spoiler he was in the trailer

One of these threads had a guy tagging the motorcycle in BotW when it's just out in the open not secret

Some people are a bit too worried about spoiling things

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I saw people playing Eldin Ring and while it looks fine I don't understand at all anyone saying it's the best game ever made. Especially when Kirby exists.

Point one: Kirby swallows a car and drives around. Does Eldin Ring guy swallow a car? No. Kirby wins.

Point two: Kirby is fishing. Is there fishing in Eldin Ring? Well, maybe, I don't know. But even if there is fishing you know what isn't in Eldin Ring? The cute fishing hat. Kirby wins again.

Yep, it seems like Kirby is better in every single way.

Araxxor posted:

If you beat the demo, you get a code you can use in the final game for some goodies. If you beat everything on Wild Mode, you get an additional code.

What the gently caress I beat everything on Wild Mode and only got one code. Oh well at least I know what the other code is due to the codes not being unique.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Araxxor posted:

If you beat the demo, you get a code you can use in the final game for some goodies. If you beat everything on Wild Mode, you get an additional code.
I got both codes and didn't do Wild Mode. Something else must unlock the other code.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

It might be getting all the waddle dees.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ah yeah it's probably getting all the Waddle Dees, because I missed one tulip in the second level.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I've had Breath of the Wild sitting on my shelf still in the shrink wrap for the last three years or so and I finally opened it two days ago and you know what it's a pretty good game

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is Fenyx worth a playthrough on the Switch, esp Portable mode? I have it on PC but i'm playing more engaging games on PC (plus i'm not impressed with its poor performance) and mainly going through 'numbers go up' games on Switch, which isn't bad but I could probably be playing a game I haven't beaten yet...

I know it'll run worse on my switch but as long as combat is good--and I have heard post-release patches supposedly made the game run a bit better--then I think it might be worth a $15 whirl

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Reek posted:

I've had Breath of the Wild sitting on my shelf still in the shrink wrap for the last three years or so and I finally opened it two days ago and you know what it's a pretty good game

2017's Game of the Year - "eh it was ok I guess."

Have fun :cheers:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

playing Timbleweed Park :cool:

That game is so good (there’s just one section I found tiresome in normal mode). Does the Switch version include the DLC? I think I might double-dip….

E: apparently not. Then again, the non-DLC/Kickstarter-backer option still own.

tuo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 4, 2022

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

You appear to have decided to take a break at literally one of the 3 most important plot reveals of ffx

It felt like a good place to stop after the reveal of the airship to be honest.

Not that I didn't remember what had happened before. It just felt very left-field though it's fitting I really liked Auron's "Spiral of Death" speech in the cage. I guess I thought Seymour's defeat wasn't us killing him, like when you fight villains early on in a lot of JRPG's just, him giving up briefly. But it turns out they're all dead!

I'm liking where this is going though, but now Yuna's on her own and I fear my whole gang is under leveled a bit... We'll see how I scrape through the next part!

It's still a very good game and I regret having gotten distracted by other stuff. I may not beat it just yet, but I'm definitely going to buckle down and get through some more of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuo posted:

That game is so good (there’s just one section I found tiresome in normal mode). Does the Switch version include the DLC? I think I might double-dip….

E: apparently not. Then again, the non-DLC/Kickstarter-backer option still own.

I really like it but a lot of the voice acting is sooooo bad. I dunno if it’s backers voicing the characters but that’s my biggest issue with it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Did not see this remake coming, too bad there's no switch lightguns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBrjzCvbVkU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think they announced that ages ago, I remember them saying you could use the joycons

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

I think they announced that ages ago, I remember them saying you could use the joycons
Yeah but there's nothing like the Perfect Shot or Zapper shells or anything. Man, the Wii really was the golden era of lightgun games, even if the pointer wasn't exactly the same as an arcade lightgun mechanism.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dead Space extraction was amazing, I played that on Wii only a few years ago and it was so fun.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’ve played at least 12 hours of it so far and no crashes and loading is fine. It’s amazing get it.

Returned to FfX after a hiatus and everyone’s dead? This is the trial with Mika and Seymour, how is this possible? I thought the dead became monsters if unsent. It’s a weird turn, not as strange as FF8 and it works due to the likable cast but I’m confused.

It's basically a power of will thing. Randos who die become dingos or blobs but if you're sufficiently determined (or plot important if you prefer) you can retain your original form and even get nifty new powers.

You're at a pretty pivotal point in the game, though. I hope you keep posting your thoughts and impressions. I think FFX is the best FF ever but I beat it forever ago and I'm really interested to hear the thoughts of new players.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I really like it but a lot of the voice acting is sooooo bad. I dunno if it’s backers voicing the characters but that’s my biggest issue with it.

Yeah, the voice acting is not the highest part of the game. I’d have to search, but IIRC some of the characters are voice acted by staff/developers? It was one of the higher stretch goals on kickstarter, but the game still got made on a pretty small budget.

I played through it like I think three times, twice on normal, once on easy. And I take shame in my opinion that I find the easy option the better game, because it cuts out two pretty tedious parts that could have been handled better on normal mode. Still I really enjoyed it, especially for the absolutely silly story with all it’s twists.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuo posted:

Yeah, the voice acting is not the highest part of the game. I’d have to search, but IIRC some of the characters are voice acted by staff/developers? It was one of the higher stretch goals on kickstarter, but the game still got made on a pretty small budget.

I played through it like I think three times, twice on normal, once on easy. And I take shame in my opinion that I find the easy option the better game, because it cuts out two pretty tedious parts that could have been handled better on normal mode. Still I really enjoyed it, especially for the absolutely silly story with all it’s twists.

ya I'm playing it on Casual, I think I just went with that from the get-go. It's really fun, keeps things fresh. Is there a way to swap items between characters quickly or do you have to have them on the same screen?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

ya I'm playing it on Casual, I think I just went with that from the get-go. It's really fun, keeps things fresh. Is there a way to swap items between characters quickly or do you have to have them on the same screen?

Not sure if they added this as a QoL feature at some point. Back when I played it, they had to be on the same screen, but it also triggered some dialogue from time to time. But also IIRC you only have to do it couple of times, especially during late game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve played FFX, but I’m pretty sure this jives with the metaphysics as they’ve been explained to this point. When you die, your soul is released as Pyreflies, and this being plural is important. If you have a strong enough will, you can hold on to your own Pyreflies and retain your personality and members and you become Unsent. If you lose your hold over your soul, or have simply accepted your death, it gets scattered to the winds, where your loose Pyreflies can get tangled up with other people’s, eventually turning into monsters, for whom the individual soul fragments are too small to retain the shape or knowledge of their previous lives. The more Pyreflies make up a monster, the bigger and badder it is, which is why the nastiest ones are found at sites of war and calamity. In ghost rules, the Unsent are “unfinished business” spectres, while monsters are “restless spirits who have lost their mind” ones.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve played FFX, but I’m pretty sure this jives with the metaphysics as they’ve been explained to this point. When you die, your soul is released as Pyreflies, and this being plural is important. If you have a strong enough will, you can hold on to your own Pyreflies and retain your personality and members and you become Unsent. If you lose your hold over your soul, or have simply accepted your death, it gets scattered to the winds, where your loose Pyreflies can get tangled up with other people’s, eventually turning into monsters, for whom the individual soul fragments are too small to retain the shape or knowledge of their previous lives. The more Pyreflies make up a monster, the bigger and badder it is, which is why the nastiest ones are found at sites of war and calamity. In ghost rules, the Unsent are “unfinished business” spectres, while monsters are “restless spirits who have lost their mind” ones.

Yeah that's pretty much right. It's a great detail because I didn't think it was going to be more than, "...and that's why we have monsters (thus random encounters)."

The fact that it's an actual plot point is pretty rad.

FFX has been an interesting VERY linear ride so far. The set pieces come hard and fast (I think 8 was actually like this to its credit), so you don't really get a lot of breathers, but well, I get the impression I'm probably still sort of early on. Interestingly, at this point I would compare it to FF8 the most in its general mood and presentation. 8 also had a rather pretty watery world, you also follow relatively young individuals (Auron being the exception), and there is a heavy romance between two leads.

The difference is that 8 is an incomprehensible mess and X has made a real effort to give life to everything and everyone. Tidus and Yuna while still a relatively rushed Love at First Sight, is still rather believable. Squall I can get falling for Rinoa since she's a good person, but I never got her attraction to this overly moody rear end-man, also his personality changes are a bit too wild to be believable and that's aside the wild plot and everything else.

Sin is a great entity and a fantastic name that's both blatant as hell but also not exactly what it seems to be. Anyway, after one more email I can devote the rest of my day to it! Or until my Switch dies, then hopefully it'll be dark enough I can turn on the projector without needing to close the shutters.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Morter posted:

Is Fenyx worth a playthrough on the Switch, esp Portable mode? I have it on PC but i'm playing more engaging games on PC (plus i'm not impressed with its poor performance) and mainly going through 'numbers go up' games on Switch, which isn't bad but I could probably be playing a game I haven't beaten yet...

I know it'll run worse on my switch but as long as combat is good--and I have heard post-release patches supposedly made the game run a bit better--then I think it might be worth a $15 whirl

It's not worth a playthrough on any system. It's colorful and basically lifeless. Assassin's Creed without any civilisation. Breath of the Wild with no towns. The combat is pretty fun, the obstacle courses are alright, and the scenery is nice... but it's boring as gently caress.

If you can get it for under twenty bucks US, give it a shot. It's not a bad game, just kinda meh if you're not fighting or puzzle solving.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 4, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think that’s a bit uncharitable; Squall doesn’t really change all that much. He’s a a good kid at heart who has always been talented, and that’s his character from beginning to end. His journey is one of learning to express his feelings and discard his toxic coping mechanisms. I will grant that the game suffers from a messy presentation, but it does a lot of things I really respect.

Most stories that present you with internal monologue treats it as an objective presentation of who that character is. They say A, then think B, and B is their true and complete feeling on the matter. Squall, however, is surrounded by socially competent people and Irvine, and only one of them actually treats Squall as a broody loner, everyone else is acting as though he’s a dependable awkward friend, no matter how much he internally monologues about being a cool calculating friendless robot.

I think the clearest example is near the end of Disc One, where the party believes Seifer is dead, and everyone else are sharing their feelings about the guy, and Squall just stands there quietly having an internal conversation about how the conversation is oddly reductive and then starts musing on mortality before blurting out that they had better not talk about him in the past tense and bursts out of the room. What is actually going on there is that Squall considers Seifer a close friend, their whole rivalry was an unspoken mutual understanding, and he has no idea how to process this loss, something the game never says explicitly because we’re seeing it through Squall’s eyes, but all his friends understand this and give him space, and no one ever gives him any guff for his outburst.

Rinoa pegs him immediately as the kind of guy he is, rather than the kind of guy he thinks is, and turns out, she was right. She didn’t actually change him at all, she just coaxed him out of his shell and taught him to express himself. She also briefly dated Seifer, who was in a similar boat, but ultimately fell in with a bad crowd.

Not saying you or anyone is guilty of misreading Squall, one can certainly dislike him for who he is, but I maintain that the game’s presentation of him is good.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Rinoa pegs him immediately

would have made for a much more memorable game

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mister Facetious posted:

It's not worth a playthrough on any system. It's colorful and basically lifeless. Assassin's Creed without any civilisation. Breath of the Wild with no towns. The combat is pretty fun, the obstacle courses are alright, and the scenery is nice... but it's boring as gently caress.

If you can get it for under twenty bucks US, give it a shot. It's not a bad game, just kinda meh if you're not fighting or puzzle solving.

Yeah I often see it at $15. Tempting me! :argh:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I never got her attraction to this overly moody rear end-man

Squall is tremendously pretty, and Rinoa is 17. It's a high-school romance.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bug Squash posted:

Squall is tremendously pretty, and Rinoa is 17. It's a high-school romance.

I've never played the game, but my then-gf did, back when it was initially released.

I've always had the phrase (or just pairing of names) "Quistis and Rhinoa" stuck in my head, ever since then.

Welp, that's my FF story, thanks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Not saying you or anyone is guilty of misreading Squall, one can certainly dislike him for who he is, but I maintain that the game’s presentation of him is good.

That's fair. I know FF8 is your favorite one, and if you were able to get this out of it then I can see why, it adds a lot of characterization. I called him an rear end-man because I got lazy and didn't want to type "an rear end of a man" but I think it's a similar phrase. I don't know if the game communicates this as clearly as you did though. Mind you I've only played it once, it's not impossible I'd get more out of it given the opportunity. What I can say is that the way the games communicate ideas in 6, 7, 9, and 10 is far clearer.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i made 300 in my local currency from doing an advertisement when i was like 9 years old and i wanted to buy final fantasy, the good one, but i didn't know which one of them it was and roman numerals were confusing at the time so i bought the box with one more number than the other one and that turned out to be final fantasy 8 and that's what i credit with assuring that i never became a final fantasy fan.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I called him an rear end-man because I got lazy and didn't want to type "an rear end of a man" but I think it's a similar phrase.

I assure you it is not

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
to eliminate all doubt, next time just call him an anus fellow

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

A butt boy.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Uh oh what’s the difference? I’ll be more careful in the future.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
an rear end man loves himself some rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
an rear end of a man loves himself some rear end, which is him, he has become the rear end, which he gazes into like narcissus into his reflection