Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you should never let a wrestler that is still wrestling be a booker imo

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Trollologist posted:

So, here's what I take away from AEW:

I hope it works, I don't see the pitch outside of wrestle dorks who should love this. But it better start doing something other than "HEY LOOK ITS _____!!!!" Or it will get old.

Now look, I'm not a billionaire, so clearly I don't know poo poo. But I've watch enough feds either die or flounder for a while before never doing anything to have learned the following: you have to do something different or you're going to fail.

cool.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
orange cassidy owns because he puts on good matches and because he drives a certain kind of wrestler fan insane just by existing lmao

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Orange Cassidy is great because his "serious gimmick" is him dressing up like an angry ant man.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

orange cassidy owns because he puts on good matches and because he drives a certain kind of wrestler fan insane just by existing lmao

:hai:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Does anyone have that behind-the-scenes clip from the 3-way AEW match where they had them all getting ready for their match and whoever it was missed every single basketball shot he was trying to make and everyone was laughing at him for it?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you should never let a wrestler that is still wrestling be a booker imo

What if the wrestler books himself into retirement?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Trollologist posted:

I hope it works, I don't see the pitch outside of wrestle dorks who should love this. But it better start doing something other than "HEY LOOK ITS _____!!!!" Or it will get old.
Wrestling is dirt cheap to make compared to any other non-reality TV though, so you don't need that many wrestle dorks

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Trollologist posted:

So, here's what I take away from AEW:

Now look, I'm not a billionaire, so clearly I don't know poo poo. But I've watch enough feds either die or flounder for a while before never doing anything to have learned the following: you have to do something different or you're going to fail.

lifes too short to be bitter about wrestling in the wrestling is great thread

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ad by Khad posted:

the thing aew does is have good matches

So did/does:
Evolve
Dragon Gate
Pro Wrestling Gorilla
Ring of Honor
ECW
Lucha Underground
Chikara

And who knows how many others.

What AEW has, is burnt out WWE stars and a cable show. AND it has good matches.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Outside of personal tastes, getting a serious "When WWE won the Monday Night Wars they turned to poo poo, TNA had a chance to be an alternative and they hosed everything up maybe even worse than WCW, and I'm not going to be hurt and disappointed again." vibe here.

In any case, my next posts will be my take on one of the main reasons many, many people feel the WWE turned to poo poo: John Cena.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 4, 2022

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Trollologist posted:

So did/does:
Evolve
Dragon Gate
Pro Wrestling Gorilla
Ring of Honor
ECW
Lucha Underground
Chikara

And who knows how many others.

What AEW has, is burnt out WWE stars and a cable show. AND it has good matches.

Well, Turner seems happy with it. It should stick around long enough to give us the MJF title reign we all deserve.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
There's only one burnt out WWE guy and that's Jericho although he isn't even really a WWE guy since he started in WCW and was even in ECW for a while

Maybe Mark Henry and Big Show too but they're not wrestling, they're backstage helping out young talent and sometimes doing chill commentary on the YouTube shows

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
a lot of the people having good matches in aew are the exact same people who had good matches in all those other promotions, so uh ok sure

meanwhile some of those good match havers went to wwe instead and got completely ruined. prince puma was considered BEST IN THE WORLD and IMPOSSIBLE TO gently caress UP and you better believe vince found a way, that guy loving sucks now

he is not nearly the only one who sucks

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
having a cable show isn't a small thing

according to Paul Heyman, losing that was a big factor in ECW going under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO1oFYqatks

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cornwind Evil posted:

Outside of personal tastes, getting a serious "When WWE won the Monday Night Wars they turned to poo poo, TNA had a chance to be an alternative and they hosed everything up maybe even worse than WCW, and I'm not going to be hurt and disappointed again."

In any case, my next posts will be my take on one of the main reasons many, many people feel the WWE turned to poo poo: John Cena.

eh, we've already gotten to "All ex-WWE" we should hit "AEW fans can't take any criticism" by the end of the page and the derail should be about done.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Elephant Ambush posted:

There's only one burnt out WWE guy

Ah yes, all those fresh horses like Mat Hardy, Bobby Fish, Mr rear end, Gold Dust and the bristling with new energy 10 chant guy what was his name?

edit: Forgot the king of all burntoutness so burnt out he's slathered in a weary bbq sauce Jim Ross.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Ah yes, all those fresh horses like Mat Hardy, Bobby Fish, Mr rear end, Gold Dust and the bristling with new energy 10 chant guy what was his name?

edit: Forgot the king of all burntoutness so burnt out he's slathered in a weary bbq sauce Jim Ross.

Also what was that guy? Huge Indy darling, had like a tiny, witty bitty WWE run? C something?
John Moxley
TAZ.

Look, I'm just saying there's a lot of overlap.

You need stars to draw. I get that. You need a show to grow, I get that too. Kahn is kind of a money mark, that's okay.

But be logical about the actual profit/loss sheets here. What's the break even? When do they expect to hit profitability? Did bringing in guys like John Moxley and CM Punk actually cause an increase in revenue? Because they sure as gently caress aren't cheap.

It was said in this thread earlier, that AEW is a $100 million vanity project for a billionaire bachelor nerd.

If the people right under him aren't scrambling to answer those questions before the piggy bank runs out, they're going to be left holding the bag. Because Tony is just going to burn cash and have his dream matches and put Sting in the main event or whatever until his budget is used. It's on borrowed time.

But I genuinely hope it does well and makes money.

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 4, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Sauce, Jim Ross would've been a really good name, what a missed opportunity, he'll never make it in the business now.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Trollologist posted:

Also what was that guy? Huge Indy darling, had like a tiny, witty bitty WWE run? C something?

In MC Phillips Brook defense the poo poo kicking he got in MMA seemed to have knocked some of the char and burntoutedness off him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jonny Nox posted:

eh, we've already gotten to "All ex-WWE" we should hit "AEW fans can't take any criticism" by the end of the page and the derail should be about done.

I swear they're just copying tweets from the bad take thread lol

I think the only thing I haven't seen yet is "leaving the WWE is betrayal and going to THE ENEMY"

Oh wait there's also like "they were great wrestlers when they were in WWE but now they're in another company and that makes them bad wrestlers but if they went back to WWE they'd instantly be great wrestlers again"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I swear they're just copying tweets from the bad take thread lol

I think the only thing I haven't seen yet is "leaving the WWE is betrayal and going to THE ENEMY"

Oh wait there's also like "they were great wrestlers when they were in WWE but now they're in another company and that makes them bad wrestlers but if they went back to WWE they'd instantly be great wrestlers again"

I think I'm just as bad because I'm having a hard time not wading in with "AKCHUALLY..." and drawing things out.

I've delete so many of my own bad posts. lol.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Found shadow puppet's twitter account

https://twitter.com/WoodBrosProd/status/1494214192852836355?t=Z3YT0igeY05PyS2aRuZjng&s=19

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
On topic of crazy Vince angles. I would loving LOVE a play by play for Trish Stratus

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The only AEW wrestlers I like are Joey Janela because everyone hates him and I dont know why he was excellent on the first two PPV things.

I also like Kyle O'riely because he is the living embodiment of that type of neighbouhood kid that was held back a grade, maybe two, that was super into martial arts and was a bit off but gave no fucks and would walk around in pilled up track pants at like 14 years old when everyone else was trying to be cool but this slow learner just wanted to do his karate and hapkido kata forms he learned from a book he got from the library. Love that energy about him.

I like Mark Henry because he can lift that inch barbell and therefor probably has a ferocious j/o game where he has to restrain himself like bruce banner fighting to not let out Devil Hulk.

I like marko stunt but tony soft fired his rear end and would rather do drugs and tweet than advance the career of someone who needs a few more legs up.

I like 2.0 because I've never once seen them but I know they are quebecois and them folk need someone to look up to after Dino Bravo was murdered in his front doorway and my local (anglo) news anchors would not stop laughing about it on air when announcing his death.

Mjf: cool and good.

Pack is ok I guess.

I liked that one hardass japanese woman with the short hair but i guess she didnt get a job with the company because Tony has no eye for talent.

Everone else sucks.

The following people suck the worst.

Colt Cabanda. Never liked him. Dont know him, but know that I dont like him

Luchasaurs. Worst pre chokeslam choke ever.

Brodie lee. terrible wwe guy when he was one. awful beard. sick of him both in his mortal and post mortal phases of his career. Wish he would gently caress off.

Nick Comoroto. he's like an actual biological caveman or something but isnt famous? How do you gently caress that up? He must suck.

Stu grayson: The worst kind of quebecois. You know the type. The loving _worst_. I wish ill things upon him. Wrestled in probably the most fun wrestling match I've ever seen in my life in person, it was delightful. Still really dont like him.

Also Alex Marvez, I will never get over his old haircut. You can still see it on him as like a spiritual remnant. Glad he is soaking up toneys money to be worthless through. Still really sucks.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 4, 2022

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Jonny Nox posted:

I think I'm just as bad because I'm having a hard time not wading in with "AKCHUALLY..." and drawing things out.

I've delete so many of my own bad posts. lol.
I commend your restraint

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Jonny Nox posted:

God willing

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
idk why it took me so long to report this since i've been buying it for a while now, but J.R.'s "hot" BBQ sauce is really good (albeit not hot)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

im saint germain posted:

idk why it took me so long to report this since i've been buying it for a while now, but J.R.'s "hot" BBQ sauce is really good (albeit not hot)

Clearly made with 100 percent pure Dungeon Of Doom spooky cave fountain water.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

im saint germain posted:

I was fortunate enough to go to his restaurant when I lived in Oklahoma. That place was loving dope like a wrestling themed Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood. Also the food was dope.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

im saint germain posted:

The hot BBQ sauce is good, the chipotle ketchup is excellent.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

The hot BBQ sauce is good, the chipotle ketchup is excellent.

Sauce so good.

you'll lose feeling in your face! :bahgawd:

I'm sorry to everyone for that

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

JR is as horny as we could all strive to be given the circumstances

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
check this out guys:

some people think wwe or aew bad, so what

more effortpost appreciation and less slap fighting imho

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Animal-Mother posted:

What if the wrestler books himself into retirement?

kevin nash ftw lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like it's a common kinda issue for a lot of industries where the immovable juggernaut of the medium produces mostly garbage but has a near-monopoly that any competition looks good just for the contrast and not being bullshit in all of the same ways.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Just wanna say again I'm loving the long reads, they really make the work day go faster, thank you.

Was it Vince who chased someone around with his poo on a stick?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

snoremac posted:

Just wanna say again I'm loving the long reads, they really make the work day go faster, thank you.

Are you sure that's not a cartoon character?

...are we sure Vince isn't a cartoon character?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

snoremac posted:

I can say with 70% confidence that it was Vince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, no one reminds me of Vince more than Judge Doom.