Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

an actual frog posted:

The great thing about bike commuting, or walking if you're lucky enough, is the fixed-time aspect. Unless the area's choked with snow or ice nothing's stopping you, your commute will always take about the same time.

It's very freeing.

Sort-of but thankfully it was deemed too expensive. Bose has a patent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPYIaks1UY

wow this is cool I hate to say it, but it would destroy the world if ever unleashed. Nobody tell Elon Musk about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I have the opposite reaction. If a bus or train is slow/delayed its all v:shobon:v welp, nothing to be done about it. If I'm in a car and jammed up I go nuts trying to figure out which is the fastest lane or if there are any alternate routes.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I think this is kinda the opposite of true. I know when I was commuting via transit then if the train was down it was like "oh well, nothing I can do but wait or get on a bus bridge" if I'm late for work it's NBD because everyone understands. It impacts you and thousands of others and somehow it's less stressful.

But in traffic it makes you a lot more anxious because your gonna get poo poo like " you shoulda left earlier". And because you have control of your vehicle you feel like you have to do whatever it takes to get out in front.

Now I just bike and nothing can stop me except getting run over and then I'm dead so who cares.

isn't this exactly what he was posting about? you think you have control because the wheel is in your hands so you do all sorts of crazy poo poo and stress yourself out? but you're actually still at the mercy of train crossings, traffic jams, etc. hence "illusion of control"

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I think this is kinda the opposite of true. I know when I was commuting via transit then if the train was down it was like "oh well, nothing I can do but wait or get on a bus bridge" if I'm late for work it's NBD because everyone understands.

yah you're correct and this is a good mindset to have. it sounds like you do not have carbrain. I was describing the mindset that drives people to develop carbrain in the first place!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

on the other hand you're at a very low risk for having some dude walk by and literally slam a fistful of human excrement into your face and hair while in your own car. so it's a balancing act.

congrats on letting conservatives scare you away from public transit

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

an actual frog posted:

Sort-of but thankfully it was deemed too expensive. Bose has a patent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPYIaks1UY

This is awesome.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

on the other hand you're at a very low risk for having some dude walk by and literally slam a fistful of human excrement into your face and hair while in your own car. so it's a balancing act.

Fistfuls of poo poo are like sexual assault. Everybody's scared of it happening on public transit but 99% of the time it's a relative or coworker.

Make yourself safe, quit your job, alienate your family and ride the bus around all day.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My neighbors (four college frat guys) each have their own giant trucks that they don't have room for. One of them is idling in his truck when I leave in the morning and idling in his truck when I get home. What are you doing??

It's his safe space. Not remotely joking. Does he wear oakleys and have a goatee?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I think this is kinda the opposite of true. I know when I was commuting via transit then if the train was down it was like "oh well, nothing I can do but wait or get on a bus bridge" if I'm late for work it's NBD because everyone understands. It impacts you and thousands of others and somehow it's less stressful.

But in traffic it makes you a lot more anxious because your gonna get poo poo like " you shoulda left earlier". And because you have control of your vehicle you feel like you have to do whatever it takes to get out in front.

Now I just bike and nothing can stop me except getting run over and then I'm dead so who cares.

It's a combination of both, if the bus is late once you can shrug it off, but if the bus is late every day you're eventually going to give up

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

withak posted:

I started walking instead of biking to work because I find that I arrive a lot calmer and less annoyed.

Yeah I prefer walking over bike and bus most days. It's relaxing and consistent. It's nice having all three options though.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/RepGregSteube/status/1496189576649613324

the truck in question:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
just want to pop in and say I still hate cars

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Do the flags have an appreciable effect on fuel economy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Last night in the grocery store parking lot I overheard two guys getting out of their tonka truck complaining that all the parking spots are "compact." They are normal sized.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I don't get the appeal. I drove a friends suv and it didn't feel safer, it felt cumbersome and ponderous. It was harder to park. That truck looks like you can barely see out of it in any direction.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Horace posted:

I don't get the appeal. I drove a friends suv and it didn't feel safer, it felt cumbersome and ponderous. It was harder to park. That truck looks like you can barely see out of it in any direction.

The only appeal I can think of is that you don’t have to avoid potholes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do the flags have an appreciable effect on fuel economy

I saw a guy driving down the highway in a work truck decked out in BACK THE BLUE decals, with two big flags flying off a pole in the back
1. thin blue line american flag
2. "JOE BIDEN SUCKS"

e: this kind of big truck guy is like the second to final form of evolution of carbrain. the final is when your big truck or van is covered in sharpie or woodpanels with black painted letters or those block letter stickers carefully placed one by one to display the craziest poo poo you've ever heard in your life. Car Brain Ascension - your car has literally become your brain, and it displays your thoughts to the world for you

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Mar 3, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Horace posted:

Imagine if you collided with a Honda Civic though. You'd crush it and feel powerful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

The only appeal I can think of is that you don’t have to avoid potholes

You can do that with a regular sized Jeep

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Horace posted:

they are, correctly, terrified of driving and want to survive when they hit something

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's his safe space. Not remotely joking. Does he wear oakleys and have a goatee?

I've noticed before that these types are usually blasting conservative talk radio. Burning $5/gallon gas to operate a radio.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Last night in the grocery store parking lot I overheard two guys getting out of their tonka truck complaining that all the parking spots are "compact." They are normal sized.

I swear that my 01 Maxima fits in modern “compact” spaces w no problem. That poo poo used to be the exclusive territory of Geo’s!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well yeah I think there's been a shift in what people consider compact, normal, and large. And I think there's pressure to start designing streets, garages, etc. for larger vehicles. I remember the bloated vehicles of the '00s, but I don't remember them having a much of an impact on our idea of acceptable size for vehicle infrastructure.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

quoting some older posts because of the current parking conversation

zegermans posted:

Same size bed

SKULL.GIF posted:

got home from the grocery just now. I have a new stall neighbor.

this stupid monstrosity is twice the size of my Fit. it doesn't even fit in the stall lol, I have like a foot of clearance in front while his rear bumper is 1 inch away from the concrete wall. sparkling and spotless despite the rain and snow we've had this week :pathetic:

festering bloated pustule sac of a country

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

isn't this exactly what he was posting about? you think you have control because the wheel is in your hands so you do all sorts of crazy poo poo and stress yourself out? but you're actually still at the mercy of train crossings, traffic jams, etc. hence "illusion of control"

Yeah, I should have been clearer. It was about perspective; that illusion of control is stressful to me, not desirable.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I saw a guy driving down the highway in a work truck decked out in BACK THE BLUE decals, with two big flags flying off a pole in the back
1. thin blue line american flag
2. "JOE BIDEN SUCKS"

e: this kind of big truck guy is like the second to final form of evolution of carbrain. the final is when your big truck or van is covered in sharpie or woodpanels with black painted letters or those block letter stickers carefully placed one by one to display the craziest poo poo you've ever heard in your life. Car Brain Ascension - your car has literally become your brain, and it displays your thoughts to the world for you

i wonder what jg ballard would make of the current car situation

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Good article about how ridiculous 0-60 times have gotten and why they shouldn't matter

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgdmqa/its-time-to-talk-about-0-60-times

choice quote

quote:

In 1964, Ford debuted the Mustang, the first affordable sports car. It was an attractive machine that sold well, not the least because it was fast. The production version of the debut model accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 11.4 seconds, a decent clip at the time.
Even the slowest car today is still plenty fast. The Mitsubishi Mirage, with a 78 horsepower engine often maligned as horrendously underpowered by car enthusiasts, has a 0-60 time of about 12 seconds. It would barely, just barely, lose in a sprint to a 1964 Mustang. All of the slowest cars Motortrend tested last year are faster than the cars that used to be considered fast.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i told my dad that cars should take 1 minute to get up to 60 kph and i've never seen someone's blood pressure go up that fast. lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

802.11weed posted:

i told my dad that cars should take 1 minute to get up to 60 kph and i've never seen someone's blood pressure go up that fast. lol

tell him pedestrians should always have right of way

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Polo-Rican posted:

Good article about how ridiculous 0-60 times have gotten and why they shouldn't matter

choice quote

This has always bothered me. Why does a base model Camry have 200 hp?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol because of that article I looked it up and my tiny, high-efficiency Honda Fit has 130 goddamn horsepower. What the hell

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Polo-Rican posted:

choice quote

most people probably only see it in marketing and only care that car = big + scary + hides small penis

though for how fast ameritrash cars are, ppl still love to merge into 65mph highways at like 30mph for some reason.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Unironically this

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jestery posted:

Unironically this

same, most days my car is just a convenient place to store my kid's stroller. bring on the 10 per gallon gas

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

mystes
May 31, 2006

Horace posted:

It's actually easy to park when you drive a monster truck and can just crush all the other vehicles and pedestrians without needing to see them.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Well yeah I think there's been a shift in what people consider compact, normal, and large. And I think there's pressure to start designing streets, garages, etc. for larger vehicles. I remember the bloated vehicles of the '00s, but I don't remember them having a much of an impact on our idea of acceptable size for vehicle infrastructure.
Oh great now we can widen all the roads thanks to horrible trucks, fantastic.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
NYC Crash Mapper.
Sorry for the ugly url

https://crashmapper.org/#/?cfat=tru...ck=true&zoom=16

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cool map but is it supremely slow for anyone else
On firefox there is a 1 to 4 second delay when zooming out.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 08:48 on Mar 4, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cool map but is it supremely slow for anyone else

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

WampaLord posted:

Los Angeles because at least NYC has a transit system that is used by a lot of people

no one in LA rides the Metro, it is car culture to the extreme

Poor people in LA ride the Metro. I rode it for years! It's a good Metro, if underfunded, and seemingly some of the cheapest public transit in the nation.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

an actual frog posted:

It's very freeing.

loving lol at the sight of a sedan jumping a hurdle like a horse. That's something to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One of my neighbors with a big boy truck drives in and out of our neighborhood constantly, and this morning he honked at me while I was walking, not even on his side of the street, because I guess he wanted more room. Never actually seen the guy because the thing's jacked to hell with jet black windows, and I guess he never goes outside. Real neighborly.