Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why do you think it will be the GV60 drivetrain instead of the EV6 GT drivetrain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

got off on a technicality posted:

Going by the fact that I never see G550s but plenty of G63s, and always at sedate speeds, the sportiness is besides the point. They'll sell every one that they make

its interesting because meanwhile //M SUV drivers are absolute dogshit shithead drivers even by BMW standards

different demo

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
That Escalade-V is awesome because in seven years when the bodies turn to poo poo and the driving aid electronics all start loving up tons of these things will end up in junkyards. And that means a more plentiful supply of whatever gently caress-off forced induction LS-based V-8 GM is putting in that thing.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

got off on a technicality posted:

Going by the fact that I never see G550s but plenty of G63s, and always at sedate speeds, the sportiness is besides the point. They'll sell every one that they make

The guy who does my ceramic coating had a G63 in the bay getting prepped last time I was there. Having never seen one up close I was pretty impressed. And I'm not a Mercedes guy AT ALL.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Franco Caution posted:

Also, Cadillac shouldn't be applauded for doing the absolute least. This should have existed 2 or 3 generations ago.

They've been toying with the idea for a long time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

davecrazy posted:

They’ve never put that kind of motor in an Escalade before.

Regardless, I don't know if it's just me, but that phrase seems to be used a lot lately. Mazda and Subaru call everything the first ever lately.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MrYenko posted:

They've been toying with the idea for a long time.

Don't let your V12 dreams be dreams: https://falconerengines.com/falconer_v12.php

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Charles posted:

Regardless, I don't know if it's just me, but that phrase seems to be used a lot lately. Mazda and Subaru call everything the first ever lately.

Introducing, the 2028 Escalade, the first ever Cadillac with independently targeting particle beam phalanx

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Tom Guycot posted:

Introducing, the 2028 Escalade, the first ever Cadillac with independently targeting particle beam phalanx

Stop your grinnin and drop your linen

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol

Is that a Photoshop of the Aliens APC or a Warhammer 40k thing?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

davecrazy posted:

lol

Is that a Photoshop of the Aliens APC or a Warhammer 40k thing?

There are nowhere near enough skulls there for 40k.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

Why do you think it will be the GV60 drivetrain instead of the EV6 GT drivetrain?

Nvm, I didn't know the EV6 has so many powertrain options.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Until I saw the gun on the front I thought it was another will.i.am car.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas posted:

I have to laugh - one of the lawyers that works in our building has 3 of the small Alfa suvs. Red, White, and Blue.

Update - the white one has been replaced with a white RX350 F sport.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Oh man, I forgot to update the thread, but I got this message a week ago:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Ford does a way better job of tracking deliveries then Stellantis.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

While I agree "normal" is a long way off if ever, 1) is the primary concern, along with the associated supply chain issues thanks to shipping being all jacked up. 2) No one cares. Lets not forget, it's not about starting a new invasion of Ukraine because they already did that and have been there in Crimea the whole time and it didn't do poo poo to the global economy because the West/NATO grumbled and told Russia off but largely didn't do poo poo because Europe is still heavily dependent on Russian gas supplies to stop freezing during winter. 3) Is literally always a thing and 4) much as I hate to defend China, they aren't harping on about Taiwan, that's a thing certain governments do from time to time because it's politically useful to rouse rabble against China under the guise of freedom. Governments which still can't even bring themselves to call Taiwan a country to China's face. No ones starting a war with China over Taiwan, or Uyghurs, or human rights or anything. Capitalism wins.

(this is all in reference to me being pessimistic on the long term chip outlook and the uncertainties, #2 being an invasion of Ukraine)

This post didn't age well.

https://www.ft.com/content/ac8733c4-bfea-4499-8a48-4997a77ad33f

Ukraine currently supplies about 50% of the world's neon which is vital to chip production.

That supply is as good as gone at this point. If the invasion succeeds, the world won't be buying it from Russia. If the invasion doesn't succeed, the production capacity is likely to be destroyed.

Things are probably going to get much much worse before they get better.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bull3964 posted:

That supply is as good as gone at this point. If the invasion succeeds, the world won't be buying it from Russia. If the invasion doesn't succeed, the production capacity is likely to be destroyed.

Russia also needs chips which is sources from places outside of Russia so their incentives to destroy a resource base they are reliant on is suspect. A lot of manufacturers also diversified their supply chains and stockpiled after the Crimean invasion.

Not to mention the effects on demand if the Russian market ceases to exist due to collapsing GDP brought on by sanctions.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

These guys too: http://racecast.com.au/v12ls/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Russia also needs chips which is sources from places outside of Russia so their incentives to destroy a resource base they are reliant on is suspect.

Talking about rational incentives at this point is suspect. There's not a whole lot rational about any of this and they managed to set fire to buildings adjacent to a nuclear power plant just this week which should be high on the do not do list of a rational strategy.

The neon is a byproduct of steel production and even if this conflict ceases tomorrow (it's not), it's is going to take awhile to get the infrastructure running again. Global supplies are on a 3-4 week supply so the price is going to start to skyrocket soon.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bull3964 posted:

Talking about rational incentives at this point is suspect. There's not a whole lot rational about any of this and they managed to set fire to buildings adjacent to a nuclear power plant just this week which should be high on the do not do list of a rational strategy.

Yes, when attempting to capture facilities and resources militarily there is always a risk of damage. That’s distinct from intentionally destroying the industrial base of the country you are invading. Russia’s goals are to keep Ukraine from joining NATO and to turn them into a friendly vassal state, not to level the country.

Note that natural gas sales have continued unabated and are untouched by sanctions. The capital class isn’t interested in doing anything that will too seriously disrupt the global economy and Russia’s oligarchs are a part of the class, as are power brokers in the NATO countries on the other side of the conflict.

This isn’t to say that things won’t go badly, but the idea that Ukrainian industry is going to cease to exist is probably an overreaction.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

bull3964 posted:

That supply is as good as gone at this point. If the invasion succeeds, the world won't be buying it from Russia.

I wouldn't count on that at all. If it does succeed in the way Russia desires, the world will get over it pretty fuckin' quick if they have a resource thats needed, and I doubt china and other asian nations with fabs will care about NATO grudges if they need a resource they are able to provide.The US political and pundit class might pout, and sanction, but unless theres another supply as cheap or cheaper to take its place, and its needed, the US even will quickly make an exception for Russian-Ukranian Neon thanks to helpful steak lunches with their local neighborhood lobbyists.

China already isn't taking part in any of the sanctioning the west is doing, so even in this scenario where they kept sanctions in place that just means more Neon for chinese fabs.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bull3964 posted:

This post didn't age well.

It certainly didn't :newlol: I sorely underestimated the reaction.

So many interesting effects from sanctions though. Yeah, oil and gas aren't sanctioned - but buyers aren't buying, tankers wont pick it up if they can even get insurance to.

Good overview of the chaos in the airline industry alone, and how hosed Russian airlines and aircraft leasing companies are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrgI4gB5W2o

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tom Guycot posted:

I wouldn't count on that at all. If it does succeed in the way Russia desires, the world will get over it pretty fuckin' quick if they have a resource thats needed, and I doubt china and other asian nations with fabs will care about NATO grudges if they need a resource they are able to provide.The US political and pundit class might pout, and sanction, but unless theres another supply as cheap or cheaper to take its place, and its needed, the US even will quickly make an exception for Russian-Ukranian Neon thanks to helpful steak lunches with their local neighborhood lobbyists.

China already isn't taking part in any of the sanctioning the west is doing, so even in this scenario where they kept sanctions in place that just means more Neon for chinese fabs.

If NATO nations backpedal on sanctions and "get over it" after what has transpired, we've basically told China they are clear to move on Taiwan and having TSMC under their control (assuming it's not damaged or sabotaged) certainly going to cause ripples.

We are in completely uncharted territory at this point. There's every indication that Ukraine isn't the stopping point and other countries may be next. The aggression is going to drive NATO and EU membership and involvement up which is going to further antagonize Putin and most of the experts that have studied him for a long time are very concerned for his current state of mind. There aren't a lot of offramps to the current events that don't magnify the current level of humanitarian and political crisis several fold.

So, if you see a car you want and it's not horribly priced, buy it. The situation is unlikely to get better in the nearish future.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 4, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

If NATO nations backpedal on sanctions and "get over it" after what has transpired, we've basically told China they are clear to move on Taiwan and having TSMC under their control (assuming it's not damaged or sabotaged) certainly going to cause ripples.

We are in completely uncharted territory at this point. There's every indication that Ukraine isn't the stopping point and other countries may be next. The aggression is going to drive NATO and EU membership and involvement up which is going to further antagonize Putin and most of the experts that have studied him for a long time are very concerned for his current state of mind. There aren't a lot of offramps to the current events that don't magnify the current level of humanitarian and political crisis several fold.

So, if you see a car you want and it's not horribly priced, buy it. The situation is unlikely to get better in the nearish future.

Yes, the unipolar post-cold war order is over and the West is struggling to accept that. The options are either we all die in nuclear war or we reach a cold-war like equilibrium where Russia and China expand their spheres of influence up to a point and then we settle into a period relative equilibrium with saber rattling, political posturing, and proxy wars while global trade mostly continues unabated in the background so as not to inconvenience the wealthy and the political classes that serve them.

None of these countries are actually being run by doomsday cultists bent on world domination or annihilation. That’s “they hate us for our freedoms” levels of analysis.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

bull3964 posted:

I'll try not to veer too off topic on this for the car thread, but yes the US has no power over China at this point.

The clever part of China's 'communism with chinese characteristics' is they've set up a situation where capitalists of the west have basically put a noose around their own neck. China got money, experienced worked, lots of institutional knowledge and the control of such a large portion of the global production chain, and with the increasing wealth, the global consumer market as well that they can call the shots on an equal footing.

The west trying to do the usual go to of sanctions is toothless, because China can open the trapdoor at any time, and as a command economy won't suffer the way the US would if China cut off things in response to western forces trying to pull on their leash. People have realized this so you see more and more takes in the opinion rags of some new thing that will be the imminent collapse of China any second now because they want to hope some act of god will happen to reestablish the old world order with unipolar western control.

We're seeing the birthing pains right now of the new world structure, and if the idea that we can't stop China from doing what we want seems unthinkable to you, picture it flipped around and if it seems outrageous to you that the world couldn't sanction the US into the ground for the invasion of iraq and bring the US to heel. Like the very notion that someone else could control what the US does in the world seems almost ludicrous to westerners, but we seem to not be able to imagine another country having that kind of power where they can't be controlled.

All this is to say if the capitalists in the west need whatever Ukraine has to keep profits up, and they can't get it through force (which is what sanction are), they will go have their politicians cancel any sanctions or make loopholes until the cows come home.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

He's not a doomsday cultist or bent on world domination. He's just a sad old murderer man grasping for the glory days of the Soviet Union while COVID induced paranoia has convinced him the walls were closing in and it's going to take some extraordinary acts of his inner circle to keep this from getting much worse.

I just don't thing is wise to think things are going to go predictively at this point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yes, the unipolar post-cold war order is over and the West is struggling to accept that. The options are either we all die in nuclear war or we reach a cold-war like equilibrium where Russia and China expand their spheres of influence up to a point and then we settle into a period relative equilibrium with saber rattling, political posturing, and proxy wars while global trade mostly continues unabated in the background so as not to inconvenience the wealthy and the political classes that serve them.

None of these countries are actually being run by doomsday cultists bent on world domination or annihilation. That’s “they hate us for our freedoms” levels of analysis.
Sorry I'm not going to just let Russia "expand its sphere of influence" over me or my friends. Russia is weak and the world doesn't really need anything except their oil, and even that will hopefully be reduced now. Nothing like China, which, yeah , everyone tied themselves too closely with.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sedan based on a coupe based on a sedan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ZhpIe5yWY

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kinda weird, but that teal color is sick.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nice way to ruin one of the best features of the A7.

The gen 1 A7 is the most beautiful sedan ever.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I hope you're correct, but history says it happens.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Standard transmission for the new Integra is a CVT. Only the top trim even gets the option for a manual transmission.

Honda continues to knock it out of the park when it comes to delivering all the things people liked about the second and third generation Integras. ¹

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Standard transmission for the new Integra is a CVT. Only the top trim even gets the option for a manual transmission.

Honda continues to knock it out of the park when it comes to delivering all the things people liked about the second and third generation Integras. ¹

Standard thing now, manuals are a luxury enthusiast option nowadays.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Russian Bear posted:

Standard thing now, manuals are a luxury enthusiast option nowadays.

How many new cars can you get with a 5 speed stick? My list has the Mitsubishi Mirage and Subaru Impreza. Is there anything else?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PBCrunch posted:

Standard transmission for the new Integra is a CVT.

I get the Integra has always been a fancy Civic but history has revised it to where that isn't true anymore. Oh well, the new NSX has (had?) nowhere near the impact that the first one ever did so why not do the exact same thing with the Integra :toot:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Twerk from Home posted:

How many new cars can you get with a 5 speed stick? My list has the Mitsubishi Mirage and Subaru Impreza. Is there anything else?

The answer is always Miata

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Elephanthead posted:

The answer is always Miata

It went 6 speed on the base with the NC I thought, 2006 model year.

Is the global Miata with the 1.5L still a 5?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Miata letting me down 2022 worse then ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Nissan still does a thing where they advertise the versa price as a five speed and charge you 1000 bucks to not get it.