Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

The crucible knight is everything I hate about Dark Souls 3 in pure boss form. I don't mind the poise stuff but the way he constantly attacks and can just randomly use his tail swipe that gives you very little time to react to, sucks.

I was making no progress with it until I realised that to fight a DS3 enemy, I have to play like I did in DS3.

Equip the buckler, parry him into the ground. This was so effective it was down to 15% hp before it even got a chance to try second phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I think this game does an insane job of making the open world aspect not feel nearly as copy and paste as every other open world game, but there's still issues like that. The catacombs I think could stay but they really needed to be themed differently depending on where you are. Caves I don't mind too much, I feel like I haven't been in one that is layed out the same as another. The big Erdtree dudes feel the most egregious to me as far as that kind of thing goes. They are all the exact same fight (that I've experienced so far, which is three). I guess one had an NPC or two wandering around but those needed something to spice them up to be different from each other. Those big walking towers also feel a bit pointless. When I saw one for the first time I thought it was one the coolest things I saw so far in the game, especially cause the one I saw had a large bell underneath so it also made this really ominous loud bell noise as it walked around. But I have now seen 3 or 4 more and they have lost a lot of their wonder. One did require me to get on top of it from above to bring it down at least.

I mean for their first open world game, they really knock it out of the park and hopefully this is the new open world game that stuff gets compared to and not garbage rear end Breath of the Wild, but there's some things with making an open world that are just hard to escape even for Fromsoft

see, I disagree. The game is fun and all but it feels extremely copy and paste, from the catacombs with either skeleton or rear end in a top hat imp (or sometimes both) to the eldtree boss to the giant caravans to the camps with the same guys but different armor depending on region to the same exact three random, out of place ruin blocks to the same exact house with a little windmill looking annex that has either a NPC and/or a not-bonfire in it to the watchdog to the necromancer boat to the flavors of regular miner or laser miner to the etc.

I played for three hours today and by complete coincidence faced the watchdog three times in a session, that's gross. Plus Limgrave, Weeping, Lakeland, and the outside of the Peninsula at the very least all basically have the same exact enemy pool, with only Caelid going nutso. at forty hours that's also the vast majority of my time. sucks!!

When the dust on this settles like two months from now I am genuinely curious how many re-fights of bosses there are. that said if the final boss is a crucible knight i will laugh

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Willfrey posted:

I'm shotgunning through this game with mimic + sword of night and flame. Everybody gets a sword laser, and if that doesn't work i set u on fire. And if any bosses are extra spicy i can just set up shop behind my greatshield. I keep feeling like this thing is going to top out at some point but i'm nearing what looks to be the final section of the map and its still dominant.

Going to have to try something different next go-round. Handcuff myself with a quality build or something

I was really hoping to shoot lightning bolts but I've still not found the incantation. I think there is an madness eye-laser that is pretty decent but also i've not found it.

You can find the prayer book with lightning spear in the east of Liurnia by the artist shack grace if I’m remembering right.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I found a weirdness in one of the catacomb dungeons. While passing through one of the later rooms with my headphones on, I noticed a faint chime like noise. Investigating it revealed that every time I looked towards a certain part of the wall, the chime played. Was that an illusory wall? I attacked all the areas around the sound and didn't reveal anything.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that usually means there's a scarab around (the game's version of a crystal lizard)

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So I found a weirdness in one of the catacomb dungeons. While passing through one of the later rooms with my headphones on, I noticed a faint chime like noise. Investigating it revealed that every time I looked towards a certain part of the wall, the chime played. Was that an illusory wall? I attacked all the areas around the sound and didn't reveal anything.

Which dungeon?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

not sure which dungeon, but some areas have these little bell traps that will ring if you step on them and alert all enemies nearby, sort of like the trumpet-blowing enemies do in soldier groups

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Willfrey posted:

I was really hoping to shoot lightning bolts but I've still not found the incantation. I think there is an madness eye-laser that is pretty decent but also i've not found it.

Just picked up the latter. North of the Liurnia East Minor tree, there’s a madness themed area. It’s around there either as an item or as a reward for defeating specific npc invader. Just poke around.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

turtle with a pope hat, goty

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Was bouncing off the Bloodhound Knight until I realized I could consistently set up a parry. His favorite combo is a rushing slash, two quick horizontal swings and a jumping smash. I found I could dodge the first swing, block the second and immediately hit parry to catch him on the third. Eat morningstar loser :black101:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
NPC question: Has anyone found D's brother? I got a note that says he's resting near Nokron. I'd like to find him before I give D that shady rear end knife.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
hah, I just ran in to -----------Margit again. I love that From continues to do their thing where a big badass boss that was giving you grief before confronts you again down the line when you're much stronger and you can just completely chump them. Feels good

nopants
May 29, 2004
does anybody know why hitting sprint in horse back combat causes your horse to unsummon sometimes?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tombsward Catacombs? On the Weeping Peninsula.

I don't think it was a chime trap. I could repeatedly play the sound while standing in place and moving my camera over a particular wall section. I've triggered bell traps before and it wasn't quite the same sound or nearly as loud

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Some of the sorceries seem thoroughly mediocre, but glintstone pebble is pretty much *supposed* to be the standard sorcery for standard murder. Other spells are more niche, and/or are deliberately inefficient comparatively. iirc one of the top end staves even specifically sacrifices efficiency for power.

I'm a big fan of Carian Greatsword/Carian Piercer, pretty good damage along with pretty good stagger. Carian Piercer can even cause many decently strong bosses to do a minor stagger on hit.

Loretta's Greatbow is a fantastic pull/sniping spell, even if you can't use it as well as Loretta.

The magic orb that shoots out a bunch of little shots - I forget the name - is also a really nice utility combat spell. It can do continuous minor staggers on a lot of enemies, which is very valuable considering you can hit them while the spell is still active.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nopants posted:

does anybody know why hitting sprint in horse back combat causes your horse to unsummon sometimes?

could you be bumping the crouch button the way you press sprint? crouch unsummons your horse, which apparently a lot of people didn't read the tooltip for and unsummon their horse by re-using the horse whistle, so congrats you figured out a shortcut!

other possibility is you're entering a zone with an npc invasion, that punts you off your horse too, but i assume you'd know if that was the case

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Not sure if I may have hit this boss a little early but (early game optional boss) ancestral spirit is both magical and wonderous and beating the poo poo outta my level 21 self. The attacks seem relatively easy to read but the feller kills me in 2 hits, and I bashed away for about 5 minutes before I was able to get it down to 60% health. What level around did most of ya'll tackle her?

EDIT: This zone is so freaking cool drat

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Good lord the Rykard fight is amazing. Seals it for me as Fromsoft's best game to date and I haven't even made it through Lleyndell yet.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Oh man swapping from 2h bloodhound's sword to powerstancing curved swords means no more posture damage and i can't just bash through soldiers anymore :(

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just ran into a library and columbined a bunch of fancy lads.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Just dropped Margit first try. Lvl 38 so I guess it’s nothing to boast about but exploring all of lingrave was loving awesome and it just validates that’s how the developers intended most players to progress.

No regrets

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

spells are cool and all but i can hoarfrost stomp for like 10fp and clear and entire pack of dudes, its dope.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

getting stronger to defeat margit is great but the real critical progression is getting jellyfish to level 2

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
gently caress those crucible knights. I've just spent five? six? hours banging my head against two knights at the same time, and still can't handle the dragon phase of them at all.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

CYBEReris posted:

getting stronger to defeat margit is great but the real critical progression is getting jellyfish to level 2

I wonder how many bosses would be broken by sequence breaking and picking up latenna early

the AI tends to break with ranged spam and she's range queen

edit: she also levels up with normal stuff, but bloodhound knight would be pretty rough for a long time... hm

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

it would be extremely dope if, when I try to cast a spell or something and I don't have the FP, I could cancel out of the "hmm weird it's not working" animation.

or better yet that animation just plum didn't exist!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What do you get from completing the Volcano Manor questline? I really want Rykard’s sword but if I kill him it’ll fail the quest so I’m debating if I want to wait or not. By the way at what point does the questline fail? Is it just after killing Rykard(aka can I still do everything in Volcano manor except Rykard and still be fine)?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 4, 2022

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Can we all just stop for a minute and appreciate the absolute god tier QoL decision to give us infinite stamina outside of combat? Game is worth 60bux for that alone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Takes No Damage posted:

Can we all just stop for a minute and appreciate the absolute god tier QoL decision to give us infinite stamina outside of combat? Game is worth 60bux for that alone.

For sprinting sure but it makes testing weapons annoying because you can’t see how much stamina they use

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Well I just got super lucky with radahn and stagger + bleed price lined up so that I didn't have to do phase 2.

I'm not sure if it's a well designed fight but I didn't find it fun. I didn't find that I was learning anything from a fit besides his attacks have huge hit boxes and NPC summons that make attack patterns unpredictable.

I think I just don't like bosses that are so big you can't tell what they are doing because I end up having to guess when to roll and then it's a poo poo show if I survive or not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ah. Ok. That's a bit annoying. I guess I should go ahead and kill Radahn then? The way he was being built up I was getting the impression he was an endgame thing, but I guess not.

The game says this but its such an odd choice people ignore it, you only need two great runes to start the endgame. The vast, vast majority of mandatory bosses that you actually have to fight start in the capital city, with the entirety of pre-capital city requiring a minimum of only 3 bosses to get through.

Radahan isn't endgame and is a 100% optional fight.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I really wish invasions were a thing. Having to be co-op to get invaded sucks. Invading against a 3-man stack sucks even worse.

And of course, even if you use the Taunter’s Tongue or are constantly doing co-op, no one is invading because no one has found the reusable Bloody Finger yet.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
gotta see seeing all the articles about how streamers are losing their mind over the game difficulty and you read and found out they're all attacking NPCs, trying to fight the tree sentinel right away, and going straight for Magrit and nothing else.

I'm sure some of it is for content, like fighting the sentinel for 9 hours, but it reminds me of the Demon Souls remaster that had some big name streamers raging on twitter that it's a bad game and difficulty doesn't make a game good.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm still confused how you advance to the actual endgame, even though I've beaten five demigods so far and you only actually need 2-3 to advance? could someone clarify in spoilers but while not being TOO specific

Barudak
May 7, 2007

actionjackson posted:

i'm still confused how you advance to the actual endgame, even though I've beaten five demigods so far and you only actually need 2-3 to advance? could someone clarify in spoilers but while not being TOO specific

Get two lord runes.
Get access to the atlus plateau (this is separate. I went up there while I had 0 lord runes)
Go to the north side of the capital city and beat the boss guarding the entrance tunnel.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

The game says this but its such an odd choice people ignore it, you only need two great runes to start the endgame. The vast, vast majority of mandatory bosses that you actually have to fight start in the capital city, with the entirety of pre-capital city requiring a minimum of only 3 bosses to get through.

Radahan isn't endgame and is a 100% optional fight.

i'm actually a bit shocked at how few people seem to even be making it up to leydell. i restarted a few times and dithered around a lot on the over world and i'm still apparently one of the mere 2% of people that've killed godfrey

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really early on in the game I ran into patches and defeated him, and I could have sworn he gave me the patches squat gesture but I don’t have it. What a bummer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

i'm actually a bit shocked at how few people seem to even be making it up to leydell. i restarted a few times and dithered around a lot on the over world and i'm still apparently one of the mere 2% of people that've killed godfrey

Yeah the bosses in here have all been like 1-2% completion before you talk about even like the secret ones.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

nopants posted:

You are hitting crouch(left joystick). It dismounts you and I do it all the time and it sucks.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The capital city might be the best dungeon From Soft has ever made, I hesitate to even call it merely a "dungeon", it's an entire murder town fun fiesta. Just incredible on every level.

Barudak posted:

Yeah the bosses in here have all been like 1-2% completion before you talk about even like the secret ones.

Only 0.1% of players have fought the Shaded Castle dude which I think is hilarious. It's like, easily one of the most obvious points of interest on that map!