Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Miftan posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't, but all this talk about coohoolin specifically is getting real weird.

It is and tbh I really regret bringing the guy up to make a silly joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Do Londoners even have RP? Isn't it more a home counties thing?

The whole point of RP is that it's specifically non-regional. It's the way that pronunciation was taught in public schools to completely over-ride any regional accent, and people spoke like that from Dover to Northumbria if they were of that social class. If it comes to it there's still pockets of people speaking effectively RP all over the Commonwealth and even in isolated pockets in the US too, for the same reason.

There's also *at least* 5 major "London" accents (and RP isn't one of them), and just off the top of my head I can think of 6 different "Home Counties" accents although they're all flattening into variants of Estuary English now. People assume RP is associated with London and the Home Counties because that's where the biggest concentration of people who went to public school are, but like I say it's not really tied to any particular region and definitely isn't dominant anywhere other than *maybe* SW1A.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 4, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1499689434710745090

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

stev posted:

Christ, I'm already looking at the 3.5 hour Hbomb Deus Ex video wondering where I'll find time between playing Elden Ring and watching Clone Wars cartoons.

wait, what 3.5 hour Hbomb Deus Ex video?? Because I would be extremely Here for that and I can't see it on his channel???

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Some people just naturally pick up accents quick too. I speak with a pretty broad western Scottish accent, but because a good friend of mine is very Scouse, I now unconsciously add "like" to the end of a lot of sentences, it's a curse.

From Cork, Americanized by my partner, so now I use "like" in both the middle of sentences and at the end. Shameful

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Foster posted:

wait, what 3.5 hour Hbomb Deus Ex video?? Because I would be extremely Here for that and I can't see it on his channel???

It's on his Patreon, presumably going on the public channel soon.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miftan posted:

I'm pretty sure he didn't, but all this talk about coohoolin specifically is getting real weird.
Absplutely. He came across as likeable on the pod, his posts were always interesting because he knows a lot about scotpol, but the second he posted anything in reply to other people talking about scottish issues, the same 3 or 4 people would appear out of nowhere and start getting weird about him. I don't blame him for not posting much.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

stev posted:

It's on his Patreon, presumably going on the public channel soon.

Noice, that's something to look forward to then

Literally just yesterday I said to my partner how it seemed like a lot of my favourite youtube peeps had been quiet for awhile. I blamed it on pandemic fatigue

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone mentioned earlier I think there is a big shaun video about hairy porter that I will likely watch after work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it comes to it there's still pockets of people speaking effectively RP all over the Commonwealth and even in isolated pockets in the US too, for the same reason.

The poshest-accented person I've ever known (well, dated, anyway) was from Zimbabwe and her dad was something high up in their government, so she went to Zimbabwean Eton. Kind of charmingly old-fashioned English, too.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

If a non-native speaker lives for years of their life in London and speaks English with an almost perfect RP accent. Is that weird to people, because I suspect not?

Yes, that's pretty weird. I've got plenty of friends and colleagues who moved to either Northern Ireland or England from other countries, and have lived for multiple decades in some cases while still having noticeable foreign accents (with more or less adaptation to the local regional accent). Obviously if someone had a perfect accent, I wouldn't necessarily know if they were originally from elsewhere unless they brought it up. But intuitively, I find the case where someone moves somewhere and completely changes their accent much odder. Not bad, just odd.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The emergence of distinct Antarctic accents is about the closest that we can get to studying how this works in a vacuum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHKGErnN9W8

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A work mate is 100% German, moved to Ireland at the age of 8, and has a 100% US accent to this day.
She learned all her english from US TV showed back in Germany.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

The poshest-accented person I've ever known (well, dated, anyway) was from Zimbabwe and her dad was something high up in their government, so she went to Zimbabwean Eton. Kind of charmingly old-fashioned English, too.

I absolutely love that sort of "posh" Commonwealth accent, although part of that might just be long-remembered schadenfreude at my mate being shouted at by his Nigerian mum for talking like us Cockney guttersnipes.

(Said mum also turned out to be one of the most virulently anti-immigration people I've ever met, because assimilation can go way too far)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I had a relative who moved to belfast and for my entire life has been utterly incomprehensible so people can just pick up accents.

A Belfast accent can be incomprehensible to people in other parts on N.I. so you are not alone.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

A Belfast accent can be incomprehensible to people in other parts on N.I. so you are not alone.

True. In general NI accents talk fast, Ive had to slow down talking so that I do it as standard now.
When I go back home I get surprised when everyone is talking faster than I except.

Though personally Cork accent is worst, then Dublin, then Belfast.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If a non-native speaker lives for years of their life in London and speaks English with an almost perfect RP accent. Is that weird to people, because I suspect not?

Absolutely it would be weird. My mum was born in America in 1949, moved to the UK (London as well, lol at RP being the “London” accent) in the early 70s and lived here for around 45 years until she died. She picked up a great deal of English in her accent, her American relatives would comment on how “British” she sounded. In fact, if you listened to old recordings of her she sounded noticeably more American in them. But even at the end of her life, she still had a clear amount of not-English in her accent.

Coohoolin had been living in Scotland for like five years max when PIP started. We used to take the piss out of him for talking about the “auld enemy” as if that was a cultural animosity he knew anything about. That accent is not the result of naturally living in an area and picking up the way people talk.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
More people should become Scottish. What else are you gonna be? Welsh? That's no even a real thing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Though personally Cork accent is worst, then Dublin, then Belfast.

:(

Actually, I speak with an SA accent - I constantly ask people if they have stairs in their house and call them "OP"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

Absolutely it would be weird. My mum was born in America in 1949, moved to the UK (London as well, lol at RP being the “London” accent) in the early 70s and lived here for around 45 years until she died. She picked up a great deal of English in her accent, her American relatives would comment on how “British” she sounded. In fact, if you listened to old recordings of her she sounded noticeably more American in them. But even at the end of her life, she still had a clear amount of not-English in her accent.

Coohoolin had been living in Scotland for like five years max when PIP started. We used to take the piss out of him for talking about the “auld enemy” as if that was a cultural animosity he knew anything about. That accent is not the result of naturally living in an area and picking up the way people talk.

Things less weird than Coohoolin picking up a local accent: Your obsession with a guy who hasn't posted in the thread regularly in a couple of years.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Very few native Brits speak RP. I think London is basically Norf Lahndan, innit, Saaarf Lanan, Estuary.
If you watch BBC World, you will hear RP and that is how much of the world thinks British people speak. It's not like BBC in UK which has a myriad local accents on it.

I even dare to suggest that if you hear perfect RP being spoken, the speaker is not a native speaker.

I used to have discussions with Egyptians on the topic because they were all too keen to say Arabic wasn't like any other language because of all the dialects (as in someone from say Egypt might have difficulty understanding someone from Tunisia, and someone from Cairo might have trouble understanding villagers from Upper Egypt (down near Sudan).

So I wrote a paragraph of Norf Lahndan speak on a board, innit, and they're like "What language is that?" "That is English as spoken in North London" I said.
To add confusion, throw some Welsh in the mix :D Not many appreciate that Welsh is a distinct language not a dialect of English.

I should probably add that having lived in Wales for approx 12 of the first 18 years of my life and again for the last 6 years, I know about 3 words in Welsh. Though I have figured out that signs with words ending "-wch" are generally ordering you to do something (the 'imperative' though people keep telling me Welsh doesn't have those nominative, vocative, accusative etc etc type declensions. Though I can see patently that it does. Changing first letter C to first letter G when it has a thingy in front of it - don't ask me for technical term, I've forgotten all that stuff. eg Cymru becomes Croeso i Gymru (welcome to Wales).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 4, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gonzo McFee posted:

More people should become Scottish. What else are you gonna be? Welsh? That's no even a real thing.

I'm off to join the Cornish Liberation Army

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The people are amazing, love living here, but the mouth hole noises...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Please stop talking about someone who isn't even posting here, good god.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

In an attempt to make it all a bit less creepy.

My favourite PiP moment is watching Hitman 2/3 videos on youtube and thinking "That voice sounds super familiar" and asking Pilchenstein in the Hitman thread if he was on PiP. He is!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dunno why everybody else bothers with accents TBH when they could just speak totally normal like me

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Changing first letter C to first letter G when it has a thingy in front of it - don't ask me for technical term, I've forgotten all that stuff. eg Cymru becomes Croeso i Gymru (welcome to Wales).

A nasal mutation!
That is almost the extent of my Welsh knowledge. I can still remember how to say “chips please”, “my favourite subject is French” (it wasn’t), and “I live in Cardiff” (not for like 15 years).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Depression and self loathing are very real my friend.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

TACD posted:

Dunno why everybody else bothers with accents TBH when they could just speak totally normal like me

:hmmyes:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'd have thought people with musical ability /pitch /ablility to recognise and approximate notes would be the exact kind of person to whom accents would come easily. It's tin eared sods like me who sound thoroughly Midlands even when busting a gut to sound french. "Gee voo drayy un crass ont" it was the despair of my French teacher.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

E; NM

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Very few native Brits speak RP. I think London is basically Norf Lahndan, innit, Saaarf Lanan, Estuary.

You'll hear MLE more than anything else these days really. Which is fine, MLE is cool.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

:argh:s in Cockney (Poplar sub-dialect with some Stepney and Wapping vowels plus occasional Cornish consonants)

So although they've flattened out a *lot* recently, there's still at least two distinct Cockney accents (east and south London), plus a West London accent that's closer to Estuary English but would definitely be considered a Cockney sub-dialect if they weren't cursed by living in West London. There's also Estuary English and Mockney (N&W and S&E outer suburbs and Home Counties, although the latter is being subsumed by the former), plus the two North London accents (Jewish and Irish basically, although both spoken by way more than those ethnic groups).

This of course excludes the generic "posh London" accent which is basically RP with some dropped aitches, and over the last 30 years a massive rise in Black London and Bangla London accents (and it's a weirdly sharp divider, one of my neighbours is the son of Jamaican immigrants and talks in a broader Cockney accent than I do, his sons despite being mixed-race and living on the IoD their whole lives sound like they're from Brixton), although those are less defined and distinct, and there's obviously massive groups of international accents that have their own life.

I'm also (sadly) excluding the fact that there used to be almost as many accents as streets in east and south London, but it is still sometimes possible to hear the Mars Attacks-style honking of a Bethnal Green accent or the weird too-much-caffeine jitter of the Canning Town/Silvertown accent.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The only specifically unique Glasgow accents I can think of is the 'Glasgow Uni' accent which is a sort of weird mid-Atlantic/valley-girl drawl mashed up with with the sort of upper middle class Scots you hear on the West coast. It's just as horrendous as it sounds.

There is also a very distinct southside of Glasgow accent primarily among the Pakistani community but its spreading out into general use amongst other ethnic/white groups. If you've seen Still Game it's basically the shopkeeper.

Other than that its just a sort of generic Glasgow style that you hear basically everywhere from North Ayrshire through to Bellshill.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

A work mate is 100% German, moved to Ireland at the age of 8, and has a 100% US accent to this day.
She learned all her english from US TV showed back in Germany.

I'm willing to bet an American will think she sounds 100% Irish. Funny how this works. When I first moved to the US I met an old lady who'd married a GI after WW2 and moved there from the UK. Sounded absolutely 100% American to me, no hint of an accent at all, which after ~60 years is hardly surprising. To them she still sounded British.

Meanwhile when I moved back here after a decade in America everyone my first day at work thought I was from there. It dropped away after a few months, but it's definitely a thing.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Accents are weird. I was born and raised in North London to wealthy professional parents, and ended up sounding as posh as bloody royalty despite neither of them talking like that. Hell, I used to get bullied at the public school I attended for being ‘too posh’ (normally by spoiled Jewish kids from Hampstead who got Mercedes for their 17th birthdays).

Spent five years in Aberdeen (ironically enough given the topic of conversation earlier, a few my my old haunts are places Coohoolin performs at these days) and though I ended up picking a few local phrases my accent didn’t change much (‘Nae bother’ for example sounds weird as hell in my accent).

It’s softened as I’ve gotten older, particularly in the past ten years of living with my (Stafford born and raised) wife. I personally have always hated it- people seemed to think it was an affectation when it genuinely wasn’t, but I have no idea where the hell it came from!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The only specifically unique Glasgow accents I can think of is the 'Glasgow Uni' accent which is a sort of weird mid-Atlantic/valley-girl drawl mashed up with with the sort of upper middle class Scots you hear on the West coast. It's just as horrendous as it sounds.

There is also a very distinct southside of Glasgow accent primarily among the Pakistani community but its spreading out into general use amongst other ethnic/white groups. If you've seen Still Game it's basically the shopkeeper.

Other than that its just a sort of generic Glasgow style that you hear basically everywhere from North Ayrshire through to Bellshill.

I've always found the "glasgow uni accent" thing a bit mystifying because I've heard lots of references to it but don't think I've ever actually heard it, unless it's just a new name for "west end accent". I've got a fairly typical west end accent, but when I was briefly at uni I don't think any of my friends spoke with the same accent as I had unless they were specifically from the west end, and my current D&D group which is almost entirely Glasgow Uni alumni mostly just sound like the places they're from: Edinburgh, Australia, the highlands.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

'ave you got a loight, buh?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

The people are amazing, love living here, but the mouth hole noises...

If someone is kind enough to pleasure you at a mouth-hole, seems rude to object to any noises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
There's some accents that are easier to pick up, even accidentally, I think. Scouse was one that stuck with me even after a short time of being around scousers, where other accents didn't rub off on me but then again I was young when I was there so maybe it wouldn't today. I dunno though anything where you've got a different rise and fall of pitch over sentences... it feels like it's instinctive to tune into that.

Not out of conscious mimicry, more like a social mirroring thing. Like how a lot of heavy youtubers have started to pull towards a mid-atlantic accent, too, though, anyone noticed that? gently caress knows though, I'm not a linguist.