Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

sebmojo posted:

you should not fear the race that literally look like demons from hell, they are people just like u and i

bringing this back for a second: how does your average NPC in the street know what a demon/devil looks like? for all they know that handsome fella with the tail and inhuman features might just be French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

thatbastardken posted:

bringing this back for a second: how does your average NPC in the street know what a demon/devil looks like? for all they know that handsome fella with the tail and inhuman features might just be French.

Probably from art? Hell, medieval and rennaisance art of our world depicts plenty of devils and demons and such, why not in a fantasy world where those things verifiably exist and take roles in world events?

Then again, a lot of that art could be really wonky and off, like the medieval art done by those who heard animals like elephants described but had no visual reference.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

Probably from art? Hell, medieval and rennaisance art of our world depicts plenty of devils and demons and such, why not in a fantasy world where those things verifiably exist and take roles in world events?

Then again, a lot of that art could be really wonky and off, like the medieval art done by those who heard animals like elephants described but had no visual reference.

They also might have heard about demons from the local Cleric who can litteraly talk to god.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rutibex posted:

They also might have heard about demons from the local Cleric who can litteraly talk to god.

Are you talking about IRL* still, or ingame*? :v:

* Allegedly

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rutibex posted:

Everyone's heard about them, it's the common understanding of what they look like that is in question. Presumably, a typical cleric given a divine vision of hell and demons probably wasn't much of a sketch artist.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also when it comes to demons, half of them look like nasty piles of trash. Not very tieflinglike.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Everyone's heard about them, it's the common understanding of what they look like that is in question. Presumably, a typical cleric given a divine vision of hell and demons probably wasn't much of a sketch artist.

I'm super excited for the one-shot I'm running this month set in a world where fiends haven't been seen in like 10,000 years, even the single imp they'll come across should inspire existential terror

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

change my name posted:

I'm super excited for the one-shot I'm running this month set in a world where fiends haven't been seen in like 10,000 years, even the single imp they'll come across should inspire existential terror

I make a Tiefling Warlock with an Imp familiar!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thinking of making my ranger a film noir PI protagonist with a hook of extra planar beings the culprits for some mysterious going ons in their area, to justify Horizon Walker. Gotta run it by the DM still but what’s more interesting Haregon with a warren that’s gone missing or a Lizardperson with water problems in the swamp?

I love playing beast people and making them act like animals. It’s fun. I make my aarakocra Druid do gull stuff constantly as he’s modeled after an albatross.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hi D&D thread! After spending a few years as a co-DM with my husband (we recently wrapped up Curse of Strahd), I finally get to be a player! My husband is running Candlekeep Mysteries for us where we just level up after every session and blow through the book.

I’m playing a Half-Elf Druid and am really liking being able to just turn into a dire wolf and chomp on guys. We’re thinking of working out a system where I can carry our gnome wizard on my back to get him in range to cast spells, or out of imminent danger. I plan to prepare Flaming Sphere and cast it before I use wild shape so I can bash it into people as a bonus action.

The other players aren’t really much for role-playing though, so my character’s carefully thought out and bizarre backstory hasn’t come up yet, but I hope to drop hints about it. Juliet Rhodadendron wants to seek out the cottage in a forest where she grew up. She was out picking wildflowers while her mother was hosting some adventurer friends for tea and there was a terrible accident where her mother hit her head on the stove and died. The adventurers took her to a far away city to go to school, but she longed for the wilderness and joined up with a group of druids.

In reality, her “mother” was a witch or some sort of hag and the adventurers were there to slay her, not knowing she had a young girl she was raising as her own. They took her far away and let her keep her delusions about her mother being a kind woman of the woods. Juliet has fond memories of her childhood, but some things are a little… off when she recounts them to others.

I’m already thinking of the next character I want to play. I’d like to play a tortoiseshell Tabaxi, but not sure what class. I’m leaning towards Rogue or a Mask of Many Faces Warlock. I know it’ll be a while until I can play another character, as I kinda want to run Wildemount stuff after Candlekeep. It’s still fun to think about though!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there some reason the Githyanki are a popular race? Or at least long lasting and frequently used?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bc they are b a dass, op

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

sebmojo posted:

Bc they are b a dass, op
:emptyquote:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've never seen anyone want to play a Githyanki ever

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Because why play Githyanki when you could play a Githzerai. And why play a Githzerai when you can play a Giff.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I've never seen anyone want to play a Githyanki ever

They look like sewer monsters and they don't have a hook in stories not involving mind flayers.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

If I wanted to play a githzerai it'd probably be because I like Dakkon from planescape: torment. A world-weary planes-travelling psychic warrior trapped in a bad contract could be fun at the table.

Feel ambivalent about the githyanki character in bg3 meanwhile.

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 4, 2022

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

actually, its pronounced jith

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nessa posted:

Hi D&D thread! After spending a few years as a co-DM with my husband (we recently wrapped up Curse of Strahd), I finally get to be a player! My husband is running Candlekeep Mysteries for us where we just level up after every session and blow through the book.

I’m playing a Half-Elf Druid and am really liking being able to just turn into a dire wolf and chomp on guys. We’re thinking of working out a system where I can carry our gnome wizard on my back to get him in range to cast spells, or out of imminent danger. I plan to prepare Flaming Sphere and cast it before I use wild shape so I can bash it into people as a bonus action.

The other players aren’t really much for role-playing though, so my character’s carefully thought out and bizarre backstory hasn’t come up yet, but I hope to drop hints about it. Juliet Rhodadendron wants to seek out the cottage in a forest where she grew up. She was out picking wildflowers while her mother was hosting some adventurer friends for tea and there was a terrible accident where her mother hit her head on the stove and died. The adventurers took her to a far away city to go to school, but she longed for the wilderness and joined up with a group of druids.

In reality, her “mother” was a witch or some sort of hag and the adventurers were there to slay her, not knowing she had a young girl she was raising as her own. They took her far away and let her keep her delusions about her mother being a kind woman of the woods. Juliet has fond memories of her childhood, but some things are a little… off when she recounts them to others.

I’m already thinking of the next character I want to play. I’d like to play a tortoiseshell Tabaxi, but not sure what class. I’m leaning towards Rogue or a Mask of Many Faces Warlock. I know it’ll be a while until I can play another character, as I kinda want to run Wildemount stuff after Candlekeep. It’s still fun to think about though!

I know the feeling. I finally started getting into RPGs this year after wanting to do it for literal decades. And it's with people in town, that I never met before but it's a lot of fun. I can say that I've made at least a half dozen characters if not more, that I probably won't be able to play for a long time if ever, only because it's just a lot of fun to do so. One of those, for example, is a Tabaxi rogue, that I intend to make a Swashbuckler and style heavily after the Puss in Boots, because I lack all sorts of subtlety.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sebmojo posted:

Bc they are b a dass, op

honestly they should have named it the Friend Folio

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
So I'm playing a warforged artillerist artificer coming into a campaign already in progress. The DM wants me to betray the party, so I'm coming in as Tiamat's sleeper agent. They're all trying to collect a bunch of her artifacts and I have to try to figure out how to steal them.

The first thing one of the party members says to me is "Hey, you're a warforged? you don't need to breathe, right? we had an idea to send someone into the bag of holding so they could try to ambush someone in another dimension!"

all the artifacts are in the bag of holding. this is gonna be hilarious.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

So I'm playing a warforged artillerist artificer coming into a campaign already in progress. The DM wants me to betray the party, so I'm coming in as Tiamat's sleeper agent. They're all trying to collect a bunch of her artifacts and I have to try to figure out how to steal them.

The first thing one of the party members says to me is "Hey, you're a warforged? you don't need to breathe, right? we had an idea to send someone into the bag of holding so they could try to ambush someone in another dimension!"

This kind of feels like a dick move by the DM. I donno there is an unwritten rule that you are not supposed to suspect your fellow party members and just sort of get along for the sake of the fiction. They wouldn't trust a random NPC to live in their bag of artifacts, in case they were a doppelganger or evil or something. Almost like the DM is metagaming.

But I don't know how your group works maybe this is all just great fun :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nessa posted:

Hey! Welcome!

I'm getting ready to start a new campaign too! Same group I played with over the pandemic, but a few people moved away so we'd stopped; gonna try to start up a new virtual / online campaign and get back in the game again together, we'll see how it goes. Before the pandemic I hadn't played since high school; turned out it scratched an itch so old I'd forgotten I still had it.

Right now my character concept is basically a dumb joke and extremely niche reference

5e only has halberds, pikes, and glaives, but that's clearly a voulge.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 4, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hey! Welcome!

I'm getting ready to start a new campaign too! Same group I played with over the pandemic, but a few people moved away so we'd stopped; gonna try to start up a new virtual / online campaign and get back in the game again together, we'll see how it goes.

Right now my character concept is basically a dumb joke and extremely niche reference

5e only has halberds, pikes, and glaives, but that's clearly a voulge.

Don't forget to demand that you all return to Phlan every time you get enough XP so that you can train for a higher level. And to absolutely not enter a single tavern ever.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

This kind of feels like a dick move by the DM. I donno there is an unwritten rule that you are not supposed to suspect your fellow party members and just sort of get along for the sake of the fiction. They wouldn't trust a random NPC to live in their bag of artifacts, in case they were a doppelganger or evil or something. Almost like the DM is metagaming.

yeah I think the betrayer will become a miniboss NPC with a short quest to take them back and I'll probably introduce a legit character to help them out.

It does lead to situations where it's like "hey, I made you a necklace with magical tinkering that will display the nickname you wanted above your head in fluorescent letters (the necklace is also a bomb)".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rutibex posted:

It's not something you should do with randos obviously, but like with a group of friends who like each other in real life and won't get shoot mad over a tabletop game at each other it's fun.

It's less being a bad guy and more being a heel for the heroes to eventually beat or convert.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dexo posted:

It's not something you should do with randos obviously, but like with a group of friends who like each other in real life and won't get shoot mad over a tabletop game at each other it's fun.

It's less being a bad guy and more being a heel for the heroes to eventually beat or convert.

yeah and I'm playing it as kind of a tragic thing. The warforged is otherwise extremely cheerful and helpful and just a swell guy, he's just unwittingly following his programming

the next dude is going to basically be Harvey Keitel's character from The Duellists but a tabaxi -- a swashbuckler, which seems really powerful? real mood swing there

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah I've done the "secretly evil" character before, and while it's fun to have the backstory in mind I think it's important that no actual betrayals happen while the character is a member of the party. They can be the thieving / conniving / murderous influence in the party when it comes to NPCs, but they have to be fundamentally non-disruptive and trustworthy allies. They're lawful evil, but never true or chaotic evil. And if there's going to be some sort of maniacal plot twist, then that's also the retirement of the character and the introduction of a new, friendly character to replace them.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

yeah and I'm playing it as kind of a tragic thing. The warforged is otherwise extremely cheerful and helpful and just a swell guy, he's just unwittingly following his programming

the next dude is going to basically be Harvey Keitel's character from The Duellists but a tabaxi -- a swashbuckler, which seems really powerful? real mood swing there

The Duelists is so good. Swashbuckler is very nice! Sneak attack essentially on demand and combat mobility is sick. I ran a high elf swashbuckler with Booming Blade and it was pretty funny. Rogues are great in and out of combat.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

imagine dungeons posted:

The Duelists is so good. Swashbuckler is very nice! Sneak attack essentially on demand and combat mobility is sick. I ran a high elf swashbuckler with Booming Blade and it was pretty funny. Rogues are great in and out of combat.

yeah I looked at that and was like, uhhhh, this is basically sneak attack whenever I want it. plus it seems like I can do some annoying stuff where I attack someone, Fancy Footwork means they can't AOO me, and then I feline agility to the rest of the party

not sure whether I want to look into a little spellcasting utility for booming blade or two-weapon fighting. I think either will be fun

regardless dude is gonna be challenging people to a shitload of duels when they offend his honor. which, as he's a cat, will be often (but not so often it becomes annoying)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gameko posted:

Hi thread. I like to pop up and ask people that understand 5e for their advice. Just finished up a campaign where I was a ranged optimized thief and I think I'm going to be stuck with the healer role this time around. I'd like to do something more than the standard cleric-who-heals.

Looking on the internet it seems the accepted mainline healers are: Cleric (particularly life), Druid (particularly Circle of Dreams), Divine Soul Sorcerer, and Celestial Warlock. Bard seems acceptable depending on build. Ranger and Paladin are generally considered too weak to heal. There's another school of thought that says you should focus on battlefield control and minimizing damage rather than healing it.

If you are willing to slightly reduce some potential combat effectiveness for healing but don't want to dedicate your build to healing, consider the Healer feat.

quote:

You are an able physician, allowing you to mend wounds quickly and get your allies back in the fight. You gain the following benefits:

When you use a healer's kit to stabilize a dying creature, that creature also regains 1 hit point.
As an action. you can spend one use of a healer's kit to tend to a creature and restore 1d6 + 4 hit points to it, plus additional hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice. The creature can't regain hit points from this feat again until it finishes a short or long rest.

So if you are healing a level 4 characters, you can heal each and every one for 1d6+8 . That's better than Cure Wounds or a Potion of Healing, and it doesn't take a spell slot just an action and 1/10 of a Healer's Kit.

Healer's Kits are nonmagical items that cost 5 gold and have 10 uses per kit. A basic Potion of Healing costs 50 GP and heals 2d4+2.

The Healer feat is very strong at level 1 when you have few spell slots and no gold for buying potions, but it remains handy going forward. For level 10 characters you are healing 1d6+14, that's like a Cure Wounds upcast to level 3. For a level 20 character you are healing 1d6+24, which isn't amazing healing at that level, but it's still significant.

You can do it to a character once per long or short rest. So a stereotypical adventuring day with 1 long rest and 2 short rests you'll be able to do it 3 times per day, per character. In a party of 4 characters that means you're effectively getting to cast Cure Wounds for free up to 12 times per day. 6 Characters? Up to 18 times per day.

In combat it's a bit tricky since it does take your actions. Lots of people say out of combat healing isn't worthwhile. But in a party of 4 4th level characters you can be healing up to 12d6+96 per day nearly for free. A party of 6 10th level characters up to 18d6+252 per day, lol.

That's just HP though. You'll still need a guy with magic for revivify and stuff. The combat medic with the Healer feat doesn't have to be the same guy as the revivify guy though. It does cost you a feat so that means you lose an ASI or feat that could have made you more effective in combat in a different way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pattonesque posted:

yeah I looked at that and was like, uhhhh, this is basically sneak attack whenever I want it. plus it seems like I can do some annoying stuff where I attack someone, Fancy Footwork means they can't AOO me, and then I feline agility to the rest of the party

not sure whether I want to look into a little spellcasting utility for booming blade or two-weapon fighting. I think either will be fun

regardless dude is gonna be challenging people to a shitload of duels when they offend his honor. which, as he's a cat, will be often (but not so often it becomes annoying)

Booming blade might not come up much. Sneak attack requires an attack with a ranged or finesse weapon. With booming blade your action isn't an attack action, it's casting a spell and the weapon is merely the material component of the spell. Your DM could rule you don't get sneak attack damage on a spell.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Correct me if I’m wrong but you make a melee attack as a component of the spell thus satisfying the requirements of sneak attack.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

quote:

You brandish the weapon used in the spell’s casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, the target takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.

quote:

Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an Attack if you have advantage on the Attack roll. The Attack must use a Finesse or a ranged weapon.

Seems pretty clear to me that BB uses a weapon and makes a "weapon attack", and sneak attack requires use of a certain type of weapon, but I suppose a DM can make any kind of ruling they want.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah it should be fine, just something you'd want to check with your DM before you go all in with it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I think honestly duel-wielding is gonna be the way to go. makes more sense thematically

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Still wondering if my friends will ever find out that my character was the murderer in a murder mystery that kicked off a very weird, wonderful, and too-short campaign that ended before its time. I'm keeping that secret in the hope that the DM will feel up to restarting it one day. :unsmith:

They were never secretly evil, though, lmao.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Just give the rogue their sneak attack, it's the only reason to play it over a proper class (though to be fair, not only is the Artificer more competent with any tools, they also deal more damage with their multiple attacks, and can potentially sneak better as Armorer). I guess the Bard doesn't get Sneak Attack!!

I'm just sour that my Arcane Trickster has been consistently more or less useless, since I always trail somebody in what I do, other than sneaking, which is useless if nobody else in the party can be quiet.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Pattonesque posted:

I'd be suspicious that the other player so readily suggested such an idea! Are you sure he's not a triple agent? :hmmorks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hollow Talk posted:

Just give the rogue their sneak attack, it's the only reason to play it over a proper class (though to be fair, not only is the Artificer more competent with any tools, they also deal more damage with their multiple attacks, and can potentially sneak better as Armorer). I guess the Bard doesn't get Sneak Attack!!

I'm just sour that my Arcane Trickster has been consistently more or less useless, since I always trail somebody in what I do, other than sneaking, which is useless if nobody else in the party can be quiet.

Sneaking is very useful even in a party of thunderthighs. You can scout ahead, or lie waiting in the wings for both combat and social encounters--prepared to strike from concealment in the former, and prepared to get up to any number of useful mischiefs in the case of the latter.