Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

edit lol, get rekt Preceptor Miriam. It's not the same when I have the high ground and a pimped up Radahn's Greatbow!

Ahaha, I was so close to killing him before he even got that far, but he still got away. I did not have a good bow on me, just some dinky level 1 longbow... but this idiot can't hit you at even a slight angle with the railing in the way, so I just practiced basic bow headshots for a minute or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Sab669 posted:

Because I'm an Astrolger so 90% of my combat is PEW PEW MOTHAFUCKA :blastu:

And I thought it was L2 for whatever's in my Left hand, R2 for whatever's in my right hand

As a first timer in this genre I was too busy focusing on the fundamentals of the game and kinda glossed over the Ashes tutorial when I started, then yea Wizards gonna Wizard

e; Like yea if I have a Shield in my left hand I just do a shield bash. If I unequip that now I do some wizard poo poo with my rapier.

If you have a shield, spellcasting implement, or ranged weapon in your left hand, hitting L2 while it's out (i.e. not two-handing your right hand weapon) will do the left hand weapon art. Otherwise, it will do the right hand weapon art.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

actionjackson posted:

is the swing on horseback considered one handed? because it's a 60 str requirement weapon and I have 40, so I can only use it two handed.

You'd have to tell me, I haven't tested. But of the two builds I've done in the game (one with a big curved greatsword and the other with a 1h sword and staff), dragons are much easier on the former, even though I was fighting harder dragons at a lower level with the greatsword and coming back to mop up missed ones with the 1h sword.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

actionjackson posted:

is the swing on horseback considered one handed? because it's a 60 str requirement weapon and I have 40, so I can only use it two handed.

Nah, I was using the Greatsword at STR 20-something on a horse no problem.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't understand how people are so far - I'm STILL finding new stuff to do in Lingrave after 45 hours, like The Warmaster's bell hunter boss form, and the Death Bird boss, and I've barely explored under the conditions where those show up so I'm sure there's a bunch more.

God drat this game is just absolutely packed with poo poo to do, isn't it.

It really is! Even 75 hours in I still have big chunks of the map just greyed out and the areas I can explore are still full of poo poo, even areas full of grace waypoints harbor countless secrets when I go back. My only gripe is I wish content levelled with you, not like, scales down, but always scaled up to meet your level. Always a drat shame to meet a cool new boss and you discover your basic r1 attack takes off a quarter of their health. I thought Rennala was broken with how much damage I dealt to her with my bloody blade, before triggering blood.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tarezax posted:

If you have a shield, spellcasting implement, or ranged weapon in your left hand, hitting L2 while it's out (i.e. not two-handing your right hand weapon) will do the left hand weapon art. Otherwise, it will do the right hand weapon art.

Yea it's literally never occurred to me to Not have something unequipped in my left hand. Like, I'm not using a 2H why would I opt to not use a shield?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I think so, except if you can wield something 2-handed but not -handed you can still use on horseback, but you get a kind of mediocre too-weak moveset for it.

Darke GBF posted:

The bigger the weapon, the easier it is to swing and hit on horseback. It's the smaller one handed sword and mace guys that are gonna have trouble fighting dragon bosses.

Eh, Reduvian dagger is one of the best horseback weapons I've ever found. I tend to brush my horse right up or around an enemy so the range on the dagger being short doesn't matter when it can get so many swings in and has an active reliable hitbox. My big sword-spears and things have more reach but way less reliable attack arcs and looong windup.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Yea it's literally never occurred to me to Not have something unequipped in my left hand. Like, I'm not using a 2H why would I opt to not use a shield?

First half the game I never filled that hand because why not 2-hand my weapon to make it faster and stronger. Second half of the game I added a dagger because why not have two weapons that are both fast and strong.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Khanstant posted:

First half the game I never filled that hand because why not 2-hand my weapon to make it faster and stronger. Second half of the game I added a dagger because why not have two weapons that are both fast and strong.

Quickstep also remains the most singularly useful Ash, even in the face of things like Blood Slash.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

most sorcery staves (not sure about seals so i will not comment) also have no skill so they're better than ever before to offhand since you don't have to juggle back and forth between two handed to use your weapon art

still can't put parry on them though even with ashes, my one souls dream for the past 10 years

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Crucible Knight is badly designed, Sorry Fromsoft. You did bad on this one. A lot of these bosses are good, but not this one. This one is bad.

I love this game for having bosses that are absolute show-stopping monsters to some players, but are gum beneath a hoof of another player who doesn't even remember stomping it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TBH I still haven't found a better looking armor than the Kaiden stuff, glad it was so early lol

King in the north!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

queeb posted:

ok what the gently caress this cave in norther liurnia i expected to go into a cave, not scaling the side of a fuckin mountain around a waterfall and holy god this owns

I did that last night and it was an awesome dungeon all around

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Guys this game…. Is a good game

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Macaluso posted:

Crucible Knight is badly designed, Sorry Fromsoft. You did bad on this one. A lot of these bosses are good, but not this one. This one is bad.

use your parries, hombre. i think it took me near 100 tries to kill cruicible knight as a dex guy at SL 40, but that was all because i am terrible at parries and never used them before crucible knight.

Crucible knight is, for sure, a tough fight, but its wonderfully designed and is emblematic of what Souls games are and what makes them great.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Twinned Armour seems like it might be best aesthetically in the game, it has it all, gold, silver, a metal sculpture of someone hugging you.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Specifically, when you get on horseback you will still be either one or two-handing your weapon, whichever one you were doing when you got on. This isn't reflected in your animations at all but the damage makes it really obvious if you only meet the requirements while two-handing.

I don't think there's any way to actually start two handing while on your horse, though, so make sure you're ready before you mount up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Twinned Armour seems like it might be best aesthetically in the game, it has it all, gold, silver, a metal sculpture of someone hugging you.

My standout choice so far is (boss spoiler) Royal Knight Loretta's armor because I love dumb hats.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is Parry on a greatshield a waste of ash? I have a buckler but never use due to its poor phys reduction.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

use your parries, hombre. i think it took me near 100 tries to kill cruicible knight as a dex guy at SL 40, but that was all because i am terrible at parries and never used them before crucible knight.

Crucible knight is, for sure, a tough fight, but its wonderfully designed and is emblematic of what Souls games are and what makes them great.

Parries with a shield are impossible, give me a blunderbuss

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fat Samurai posted:

Nah, I was using the Greatsword at STR 20-something on a horse no problem.

This makes me think I should have a weapon just for horseback fighting, which is super cool

Winding up halberd R2 to smack a dragon’s leg… good game

https://youtu.be/djcqDmik_c0

Orv
May 4, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Use your hand

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

Is Parry on a greatshield a waste of ash? I have a buckler but never use due to its poor phys reduction.

moot point, you can only put it on medium or small shields (or daggers or whatever just not greatshields)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

queeb posted:

ok what the gently caress this cave in norther liurnia i expected to go into a cave, not scaling the side of a fuckin mountain around a waterfall and holy god this owns

I think I did that last night, oh I'll check out a mine for some smithing stones and suddenly I'm on top of this huge tower and mountain or some poo poo, what!!? Amazing.

I also found a random dungeon yesterday that seemed pretty run of the mill, then it suddenly had freakin ants for enemies! That itself was exciting, then I fought their queen and was looking for the fog door to beat up whoever... never found it because this ant-hole suddenly turns into this underground temple with freaky mudmonstermen... and literally a whole new level to my world map I didn't know was a thing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

With a greatshield you should submit to learning guard counter timings, since with your high stability you can tank more hits.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

is there anywhere to get a buckler shield other than the guy who opens the stormveil gate?

because he leaves after you beat godrick and he wasn't a merchant anymore when you find him in the boss room.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

moot point, you can only put it on medium or small shields (or daggers or whatever just not greatshields)

Gotcha, buckler it shall be. Guard counters fall off vs later bosses who have effectively maxed poise

Orv
May 4, 2011

roomtone posted:

is there anywhere to get a buckler shield other than the guy who opens the stormveil gate?

because he leaves after you beat godrick and he wasn't a merchant anymore when you find him in the boss room.

Another merchant sells one. Sofria merchant, I think?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Macaluso posted:

i found the trick is to parry a little earlier than I thought I should. Also i re-bound Parry to L1 because L2 has such a long pull and was throwing off my timing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Could someone give a me a non-spoily general direction or area for the Mimic Ashes? I wanna try that fight against myself with my disgusting weapon set-up.

Orv posted:

My standout choice so far is (boss spoiler) Royal Knight Loretta's armor because I love dumb hats.

OH yeah I def don't wear the twinned helmet, it's good, but I can't resist being an octopus head, or stone dog head, or one of like 4 amazing stone sculpture heads. I change hat more than anything else.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Could someone give a me a non-spoily general direction or area for the Mimic Ashes? I wanna try that fight against myself with my disgusting weapon set-up.

After you kill Radhan have another look around southern Limgrave.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

roomtone posted:

There is one is the weeping peninsula go to the Church of Pilgrimage and find the Gilded Ironshield

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SettingSun posted:

With a greatshield you should submit to learning guard counter timings, since with your high stability you can tank more hits.

I love guard counters and I hate parrying but I’m using a medium shield with about 20 end and 16 str. I should probably go for Greatshield

I really can’t decide on my stats. I literally have 20 end, mnd, vigor, dex, int… I just wanna try it all. Respeccing seems easy anyway I have a couple of the items

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Crucible Knight is reasonably challenging, but I don't think I'd say it's wonderfully designed at all. It's a man in a big suit of armor heavy and thick enough to cut your damage in half, carrying a thick horned shield, who is still able to run you down and swing his sword 4 times before getting tired for all of a second. He's emblematic of nu-Souls design, which is "make something hit hard, fast, repeatedly, and be mobile, so that it's hard enough to challenge our veteran players, many of whom play these games because the marketing says they're really hard." Sometimes that's enjoyable anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

OH yeah I def don't wear the twinned helmet, it's good, but I can't resist being an octopus head, or stone dog head, or one of like 4 amazing stone sculpture heads. I change hat more than anything else.

Its one of the dungeons that has a statue pointing to it so I don't really think its that spoilery but you must beat Radahan to have access to it

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
After finishing a quest in the Lakes and took the advice of the NPC to take this other way to Altus and hoooooly poo poo there is another, BIGGER region behind Liurnia?! Let me just access this map, surely it can’t be that bi—Oh, I just exposed only a third of the map and there’s MORE land being shown :dogbutton:

Question: did I gently caress up this festival stuff going to Altus now? I haven’t started the Raya Lucaria castle stuff yet but wanted to do that after trekking to Altus. Do I need to now do this festival stuff before finishing any major quest?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

SirBukkake posted:

After finishing a quest in the Lakes and took the advice of the NPC to take this other way to Altus and hoooooly poo poo there is another, BIGGER region behind Liurnia?! Let me just access this map, surely it can’t be that bi—Oh, I just exposed only a third of the map and there’s MORE land being shown :dogbutton:

Question: did I gently caress up this festival stuff going to Altus now? I haven’t started the Raya Lucaria castle stuff yet but wanted to do that after trekking to Altus. Do I need to now do this festival stuff before finishing any major quest?

The area has a pre festival version including a boss that are no longer accessible once the festival starts. It's not really that big a deal IMO but if you want to do everything and didn't go there before you locked yourself out. Once it's started there's no rush to actually do it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

There is one is the weeping peninsula go to the Church of Pilgrimage and find the Gilded Ironshield

it has to specifically be a buckler shield for the buckler parry ability. i have the gilded iron one, it's just a normal parry.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

There is also a "No Skill" ash of war you can put on any weapon or shield that makes it so that even if you have it equipped in your left hand, L2 will still use your right-hand weapon's art. Also if you're "power stancing" (which is the old DS2 term for dual-wielding weapons of the same type) then L2 will also use your right-hand weapon's art by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On one hand, thank god Princess Bad Touch has finally left roundtable hold. On the other hand I couldn't kill her by my hand.