Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Guardian:

Sainsbury’s is renaming its chicken kiev to chicken kyiv and is joining Waitrose and Morrisons in withdrawing a Russian-made vodka from the shelves in the latest action by British retailers to signal solidarity with the people of Ukraine.

UK making a difference where it counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Apparently Ukrainians are actually going to the homes of anyone who posts video of any ua forces and telling them to stop.

My guess is , in addition to the above, very good nato Intel means they are only using ua air power very carefully and precisely.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Looks like the Russians released a few propaganda videos of their own today:

I didn't see any gore but I'm gonna spoiler it for some very very toasty Ukrainian armour and blown out residental areas:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1499794198328922114

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What should we rename
- the white Russian
- the Moscow mule

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

ethanol posted:

It’s so weird having commercial recon satellites now. I don’t really understand them, how are they making so many passes over ukraine before being out of position?

I read stuff about how maxar technologies passes images to the pentagon who don’t mind both getting the images and not being the ones publicly releasing their own images in situations like this. But are there actual laws for what they can publicly release? (Maxar not the pentagon)

Their satellites aren't geostationary or similar. They (there are 4 active ones) are in a ~90 minute orbit so they'd each be able to see something at that latitude 1-2 times a day. Although as other posters have said since it has been cloudy there so they aren't taking pictures of the area.

As for the distribution of the images, when you buy an image there is a surcharge for it not being reusable. IIRC Google bought a copy of everything that isn't specific to one buyer for use in Google Earth. The laws governing US commercial satellite imagery when I was doing this were about maximum resolution, and not taking pictures of some specific locations (mostly army bases but I never really looked into it)

Source: I worked on older versions the ground systems for most of their current satellites in 2008-2011.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Need to make those Vs and Zs bigger.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Peep the tank losses for Suadi Arabia against even slightly similar ATGMs, they use very similar equipment. They didn't get the Tusk II package, but the minor upgrades in armor wouldn't make much difference against things like TOW missiles. You cannot compare the losses the U.S. took fighting two incredibly one sided conflicts with a peer to peer fight with modern equipment.

The big difference is that export model M1s don't have the super secret squirrel DU armor, which probably makes them less survivable. But yeah, biggest difference is "opponent has modern ATGMs" rather than tank quality

dirty shrimp money posted:

Any possibility of Ukrainian switching to the Latin alphabet? Hard to have a more complete break from Russia (and Russian) than that.

Language and orthography are political, etc, but switching away from an alphabet specifically designed to write all of the sounds in your language to something that would look a lot like Polish seems nightmarish.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

What should we rename
- the white Russian
- the Moscow mule

The Twitter Brunch Hamilton Liberals will be ordering a Mueller Mule this weekend methinks

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

there is no doubt that the corridor was not super safe, but they did set it up. however, it is almost certainly not the case that they setup the corridor just to shoot people fleeing - the entire purpose of the corridor was to get civilians out so they could kill more fighters. if you read your actual article instead of skimming for owns, you will see it was unclear who attacked those civilians, and you will also see they passed right by - with the journalist's own eyes - a russian column without being machine-gunned to death.

russia has setup many humanitarian corridors and they are likely to setup some in ukraine. their goal is a political victory, not genocide. that's pure propaganda.

Are you seriously implying that the Chechens attacked their own civilians right before saying that the *Ukrainians* are spewing propoganda? Okay, thanks for eliminating any doubt of the fact that you are posting in bad faith.

*named the wrong group that you are accusing of firing on their own civilians as they tried to flee

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 4, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Seems amazingly coincidental that they would sell it all off just before all went to hell.
Forethought I guess.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How does everyone feel about the American Prestige podcast? They’ve been doing coverage of the Ukraine and this war since it began. It was mentioned hundreds of pages ago by a poster and it seems pretty well done in the sense that they’re pretty grounded with sober takes and not making it a point to read tea leaves from unverified sources.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently Ukrainians are actually going to the homes of anyone who posts video of any ua forces and telling them to stop.

My guess is , in addition to the above, very good nato Intel means they are only using ua air power very carefully and precisely.

That is correct, there’s a nontrivial effort at contacting the leakers in real life, and talking them through the situation. Including some less charitable readings of my previous sentence.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

TheRat posted:

Isn't this a city/airfield the Russians have been attacking rather than one they hold?

Considering we've seen quite a few videos of Russian aircraft lately and just about zero Ukranian I'm going to have a hard time believing this one.

They might have planes in reserve, or hidden off highways.

It's like with a Navy -- you might not have a good one, but if you have one that exists, it is a threat. There's a whole doctrine around this, the "Fleet in Being". Even if it's locked in port doing nothing, you have to worry about it because if it leaves port it could cause a kerfuffle.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Freedom mules are my preferred drink

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tim Whatley posted:

The Twitter Brunch Hamilton Liberals

Rip, never forget what the feds did to them at waco

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OgNar posted:

Seems amazingly coincidental that they would sell it all off just before all went to hell.
Forethought I guess.

Anybidy competent managing that fund would have seen troop movements and such probably pulled out

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

$13m seems pennies to me.

Yeah it was apparently about 0.12% of the fund, and also they liquidated the assets on Feb 23rd, before Russian sanctions went into effect so they only lost a fraction on it.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...dle/9373911002/

Apparently this is actually a really common way to park public pension funds: Connecticut had 218 million invested in Russian assets. Also the tweet is being amplified by Rep Massie (R-KY) one of the only dipshits in Congress to vote against Russian sanctions.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

More Frogfoots down. I haven't looked into the photos in detail, but the word is 3 or 4 total today, plus the Mi-8 helicopter.

https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1499777532438224899

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

Maybe train your troops? Idk, seems less likely these things would happen

There have got to be some DoD folks just absolutely dumbfounded at this bufferoonery and secretly wondering why the hell we were ever scared of these goobers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You say Moscow mule... I simply say Donald trump :grin:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OgNar posted:

Forethought I guess.

you don't have to be a genius financial guru or be on the kremlin hotline to divest your russian stocks during the super obvious leadup to a war involving russia

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Are you seriously implying that the Ukrainians attacked their own civilians right before saying that the *Ukrainians* are spewing propoganda? Okay, thanks for eliminating any doubt of the fact that you are posting in bad faith.

What's Grozny got to do with Ukraine?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

What should we rename
- the white Russian

A Lebowski

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Why? Why say this?

Kinda just reminds me of an earlier post in the thread last week about how Russian statements in English are intended for foreign audiences, whereas Russian statements in Cyrillic are intended for internal use.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OgNar posted:

Forethought I guess.

Looking at the stock price, it looks like it was starting to tank a few days before, so I assume they noticed and joined the sell-off. If they waited 2 more days they would have lost a lot more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

There have got to be some DoD folks just absolutely dumbfounded at this bufferoonery and secretly wondering why the hell we were ever scared of these goobers.

Its like that whole imposter syndrome: US Military thinking for years that the Russian/Soviet military was in great shape only to find out that....its a crapshoot.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Denmark donated 30 ambulances to Poland, and they're currently en route.

:denmark:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

steinrokkan posted:

What should we rename
- the white Russian
- the Moscow mule

In solidarity with Ukraine, all Russian cocktails are now called “The Ghost of Kyiv”.

Saint Kyivanka
Mar 1, 2022

Patron Saint of SA

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Peep the tank losses for Suadi Arabia against even slightly similar ATGMs, they use very similar equipment. They didn't get the Tusk II package, but the minor upgrades in armor wouldn't make much difference against things like TOW missiles. You cannot compare the losses the U.S. took fighting two incredibly one sided conflicts with a peer to peer fight with modern equipment. What Iraq and Afghanistan could bring to bear against U.S. Armor was not comparable to the ATGMs that are in Ukraine.

And even then, I thought that insurgents found ways to use IEDs to cause a fair amount of damage to the tanks as well?

Either way, it does seem like poor maintenance practices and poor training are the largest culprits.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s the same one.

Oh, thanks. I couldn't recall exactly which ones were involved in the beginning

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

that follow-up tweet from meidas is bizarre, $13mm out of a multibillion-dollar pension fund is not "investing heavily". i read through calpers holdings, and they have similar 7 to 8 figure investments spread out across the entire planet in as many niches as possible to try to diversify the fund

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

TheRat posted:

What's Grozny got to do with Ukraine?

Read the post I originally replied to and you'd know that CC was talking about how very safe Russians make their Humanitarian Corridors and specifically cited Grozny as an example of such.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

How are u posted:

I'm aware. Kadyrov is a loving psycho and it is absolutely no surprise to me at all that he's happy to send his sons to their deaths because it fits with his toxic masculinity worldview. RIP those kids.

His background is also suitably violent. His father was killed by a bomb in a sports event, and the same month his older brother died. Which makes you go 'hmm but apparently Zelimkhan was a drunk driving rapist who ruined his own health.

quote:

The prevailing opinion among independent observers seems to be that Zelimkhan Kadyrov died of natural causes, despite inconsistent reports from Chechnya’s pro-Moscow administration. Russian news agencies reported mid-evening on May 31 that the elder son of the late Akhmad Kadyrov had been found dead earlier that day. Ziyad Sabsabi, head of the presidential staff, told Kommersant that Zelimkhan suffered a heart attack while leaving his house and fell to the ground; doctors were summoned but arrived “too late.” The press service for the Chechen government, on the other hand, said that Zelimkhan lay down for a nap after lunch and died in his sleep. But in any case, as the June 1 Kommersant noted, Zelimkhan had suffered serious internal injuries in an October 2003 automobile accident and was known to be in poor health.

Unlike his younger brother Ramzan, the 29-year-old Zelimkhan was not viewed as a heavyweight. He had a history of irresponsible behavior: For example, in June of 2003 he was arrested for drunken and disorderly behavior, including attempted rape, at a hotel in the south-Russian town of Kislovodsk (see Chechnya Weekly, June 12, 2003.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KitConstantine posted:

Putin updates:

Why? Why say this?
Probably to avoid looking weak and bluster their way out of back downs without having to actually commit to their bullshit?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I suspect the lovely FM WalkieTalkies they are using (as opposed to mil grade digital) played a role in this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

steinrokkan posted:

What should we rename
- the white Russian
- the Moscow mule

Just name them all after Zelenskyy IDK

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Saint Kyivanka posted:

And even then, I thought that insurgents found ways to use IEDs to cause a fair amount of damage to the tanks as well?

By the time of the insurgency tanks just weren't being used in the kind of scale that are being used in Ukraine, its a very different conflict.

The few times modern U.S. Tanks encountered modern ATGMs it didn't go great

https://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=79586&page=1

Considering they were a complete surprise to U.S. forces, I imagine the number of ATGMs the Iraqis had access to was extremely limited, similarly, they used an export model, the Russian's and Iranian's keep the good stuff to themselves.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TulliusCicero posted:

look man Ukraine is Russia therefore Russia fights Russia

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Read the post I originally replied to and you'd know that CC was talking about how very safe Russians make their Humanitarian Corridors and specifically cited Grozny as an example of such.

I did read the entire conversation, so I ask again. What's Grozny got to do with Ukranians? Nobody ever accused them of shooting their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Peep the tank losses for Suadi Arabia against even slightly similar ATGMs, they use very similar equipment. They didn't get the Tusk II package, but the minor upgrades in armor wouldn't make much difference against things like TOW missiles. You cannot compare the losses the U.S. took fighting two incredibly one sided conflicts with a peer to peer fight with modern equipment. What Iraq and Afghanistan could bring to bear against U.S. Armor was not comparable to the ATGMs that are in Ukraine.

Iraq had plenty of ATGMs and one of the largest armies in the world when GW1 kicked off. It's not as simple as that.

Also the US is supposed to be fielding laser-based M-SHORAD systems this year which would make short work of ATGMs.