Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sheldon Menery posted:

They've moved me to the sweet spot of publishing on Thursdays. First one out of the gate is two builds with Isshin: one normal, one spicy.

https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/the-samurai-commander-building-with-isshin-two-heavens-as-one/

E:

quote:

I suppose Isshin; Delina, Wild Mage; and Combat Celebrant can make infinite attacks. 

Am I missing the line here? The tokens Delina makes are tapped and attacking. You can't exert them.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
You exert the non-token combat celebrant, and then you can exert the tokens Delina makes on the extra combats.

i'm dumb and forgot delina exiles at end of combat

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I find it pretty weird that decklists in Star City Games articles are only divided up into "creatures", "spells", and "land" and not any further by type.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
iirc coolstuffinc does that too, it is deeply weird

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I get that Sheldon is out of touch, but holy poo poo I didn't realize that playing lovely stax outside of cEDH was "spicy". Like, my build leaves much to be desired, and I'd consider it significantly more "spicy".

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Aniodia posted:

I get that Sheldon is out of touch, but holy poo poo I didn't realize that playing lovely stax outside of cEDH was "spicy". Like, my build leaves much to be desired, and I'd consider it significantly more "spicy".

And that he thinks it can hang at a table with three other cedh decks, lmao

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'm gradually getting into commander and my local "cedh" group basically bans any commander that's in the cedh deck database and allows proxies of cards that cost less than 50 bucks. I'll pay anything in the mardu colors, thinking about doing an osgir stax deck. I basically don't have a single cedh staple over 100 bucks so I'm down for suggestions for anything that could let me hang with what I guess is pseudo cedh without taking out a loan.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm always curious what events had to transpire to lead to groups adopting such weird rules.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, it seems a little backwards to allow proxies on cards under $50 but not above $50. I can't puzzle it out. I get banning the cedh commanders so people are trying their own brews to make weaker commanders work and you have a unique meta, especially if the group follows/plays cedh writ large, but it feels roundabout - why not just make your own full ban list if you're bored of Oracle or Underworld/Freeze? I guess maybe they're not bored of particular wincons, just the commanders?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only way I really feel like we can help you is if you could maybe post some of your friend’s deck lists so we could see where they ended up? You’re asking for the cEDH version of a deck that isn’t cEDH and the only cards in the deck that could launch it into competitive viability violate your budgetary guidelines. Here’s my Osgir list so you can see what I mean: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/Ui9r7hiW-ESZXgMtgpu7gw

The Boros cEDH list that actually has a chance meeting these conditions is Koll:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/68bi5EmKL0qCNcu_RreWwQ

This is a combo deck where you use your commander to draw your deck by equipping poo poo to Skullclamp infinity times. Card is much more budget friendly

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
You could also just only ever play brand new commanders because the DDB takes a while to add new decks. Like I don't think the UW vehicle is on there yet but definitely has potential.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

TheLawinator posted:

I'm gradually getting into commander and my local "cedh" group basically bans any commander that's in the cedh deck database and allows proxies of cards that cost less than 50 bucks. I'll pay anything in the mardu colors, thinking about doing an osgir stax deck. I basically don't have a single cedh staple over 100 bucks so I'm down for suggestions for anything that could let me hang with what I guess is pseudo cedh without taking out a loan.

Do you really want to play magic with these gatekeeping douches? Something tells me ‘no’.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sheldon: "don't worry so much about what the Rules Committee does and doesn't ban, it's healthier to discuss what your local group is doing and play a deck that fits!"

Your local group:

TheLawinator posted:

my local "cedh" group basically bans any commander that's in the cedh deck database and allows proxies of cards that cost less than 50 bucks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Aranan posted:

You could also just only ever play brand new commanders because the DDB takes a while to add new decks. Like I don't think the UW vehicle is on there yet but definitely has potential.

This isn’t in Mardu colors but it’s a really awesome option because dramatic-scepter is cheap as gently caress and so are most of the white staples. Very few white staples have peaked to $30+, but it’s getting better every year, and trends have shown they understand that white’s best cards need to lean lower to the ground. The counterspell situation sucks, certainly, but you can make it work with clever use of Daze and Spell Pierce if you’d like to out skill your opponents and their free countermagic.

But i am assuming no one would have free countermagic because you’re all under the same budget?

In either case Azorious Gundams is a really cool and new cEDH deck that has a sick infinite combo that is cheap and easily accessible and it is a commander that wins FULLY through Humility, a tremendously underplayed stax piece that would Dominate the current meta.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d1Ze6SEe2A

New IHYD with Kyle Hill doing ratchet poo poo with Lynch just apparently can't stop laughing.

Also it sounds like he keeps saying Marchesa has a "deep-throat" ability in my headphones and that Marchesa gives everyone else the ability to "deep-throat".................I should probably raise my volume a lil bit.

Also Lynch taking a fuckload of shrooms and watching new Matrix explains a looooooot.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 4, 2022

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Bust Rodd posted:

But i am assuming no one would have free countermagic because you’re all under the same budget?

Nope, those are just the rules for proxy cards so folks have the actual cards. I'm just new to commander in general so it's hard to jump at the multi hundred dollar staples. I feel like that rule is to prevent homogeneity of cedh staples but not stop anyone who already bought them.

Honestly I think I'll just do casual and high power commander at this store since none of those rules exist for the rest of the store and maybe just do cedh at another store that doesn't care what I do.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheLawinator posted:

I feel like that rule is to prevent homogeneity of cedh staples but not stop anyone who already bought them.

Duals for me, but not for thee.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Duals for me, but not for thee.

Yeah, not a great look. I'm just moving into the area and didn't want half of my introduction to be "that's dumb" but did subtly want to run a bunch of stax pieces to specifically punish as many expensive cards as I could haha

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TheLawinator posted:

Yeah, not a great look. I'm just moving into the area and didn't want half of my introduction to be "that's dumb" but did subtly want to run a bunch of stax pieces to specifically punish as many expensive cards as I could haha

Back to Basics, Blood Moon, and Magus of the Moon are good cards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/cobblepott__/status/1499821977351200773?s=21

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d1Ze6SEe2A

New IHYD with Kyle Hill doing ratchet poo poo with Lynch just apparently can't stop laughing.

Also it sounds like he keeps saying Marchesa has a "deep-throat" ability in my headphones and that Marchesa gives everyone else the ability to "deep-throat".................I should probably raise my volume a lil bit.

Also Lynch taking a fuckload of shrooms and watching new Matrix explains a looooooot.

That's a good episode, Kyle and Olivia slowly losing their poo poo because Lynch is too stoned to play his deck optimally and Kibler just trolling the table.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's a good episode, Kyle and Olivia slowly losing their poo poo because Lynch is too stoned to play his deck optimally and Kibler just trolling the table.

But it's a Beta Armageddon!!! :v:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

In either case Azorious Gundams is a really cool and new cEDH deck that has a sick infinite combo that is cheap and easily accessible and it is a commander that wins FULLY through Humility, a tremendously underplayed stax piece that would Dominate the current meta.

I would like to know more.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The "gently caress you, got mine" proxy rule is more common than you'd like to think and it really sucks.

TheKingslayer posted:

I would like to know more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwEzbe0IBKc

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is the Shorikai list i threw together as proof of concept that the list could be good or cool or at the very least more proactive and fun then lavinia rule of law stax hell.

Endless Waltz

Just jamming in a ton of super strong cards that all happen to function very well in a pile with a draw engine commander that survives board wipes and dodges creature removal.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

This is the Shorikai list i threw together as proof of concept that the list could be good or cool or at the very least more proactive and fun then lavinia rule of law stax hell.

Endless Waltz

Just jamming in a ton of super strong cards that all happen to function very well in a pile with a draw engine commander that survives board wipes and dodges creature removal.

Got a Gundam Wing fan in the house, I see.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Here is my attempt at Ryu that I tried for our streetfighter battle this past week.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/5rV9ZgKUWkuSLHaZOiA1hg

Kill creatures with deathtouch hadokens, then eventually use zirda combos and filters for infinite mana to fund enough hadokens to kill everyone. Vehicles and shaku for all the taps. Staff of domination for taps and card draw also.

I nearly pulled this off this week with infinite colorless, sunforger for enlightend tutor, find staff of domination, draw it with a hadoken. But then died to blanka triggers before it resolved sadly.

Its janky, but was fun.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Proxies under $50 has to be the most rear end backwards house rule I’ve ever heard of

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

LeafHouse posted:

Proxies under $50 has to be the most rear end backwards house rule I’ve ever heard of

It makes sense in a casual environment where nobody owns the expensive cards already and everyone wants freedom to experiment but without getting into the super degenerate expensive stuff. But as a gatekeeping thing it sucks massive rear end.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The Shortest Path posted:

It makes sense in a casual environment where nobody owns the expensive cards already and everyone wants freedom to experiment but without getting into the super degenerate expensive stuff.

At which point it should just be a banlist. No cards over $50, proxied or otherwise. It's still probably not the best rule for a format, but it is way more fair to all those people who did not have the good fortune to buy into Magic 25 years ago because they were busy being a pair of distant gametes.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i could see restricting any card thats worth $40 and over, so people can build decks at reasonable amounts without someone donating five kidneys for a power 8 deck against upgraded precons.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I just played my first ever game of commander last night, and it was a blast! My LGS has casual commander every Friday, and usually I'm busy but I wasn't last night. I made a Torens, Fist of the Angels deck that focused on playing creatures to get tokens with training, and then maximizing my +1/+1 counters. Here was my deck:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/VPdACmTzHEq_JJtvweMEFQ

We played 2 games and I managed to win the first, despite a board wipe destroying my engine. The stars of the show pre-wipe were:

- Conclave Mentor to always add an extra +1/+1 counter
- Welcoming Vampire let me draw a card pretty much every turn due to the tokens being created
- Good-Fortune Unicorn so all creatures entered with a counter (plus 1 from Conclave Mentor), including the human tokens from Torens
- Mikaeus, the Lunarch came in with a bunch of counters, then I took one off to put 2 on everyone (thanks to Conclave Mentor)

By this point I started attacking, which added 2 counters for everything with training, so the board got wiped. After wipe, I started a different engine:

- Managorger Hydra got a counter for every spell played, which was a lot after the wipe because people were repopulating their boards
- Sigarda, Heron's Grace was nice for flying plus most of my stuff was humans so they got hexproof
- Fangren Firstborn basically doubled training, since you add a counter to each attacking creature
- Unnatural Growth closed things out, doubling everything just let me go nuts

I'm really happy that I was able to actually get some of the engine going, I think that's a nice thing about 4 players and a higher life total to start.

Second game I got wrecked because no one wanted by board to get big again (rightfully so!) but I was so happy with the first game that I didn't mind. It was kinda funny being thought of as the main threat since I wasn't sure any of what I brewed on paper would actually work.

Anyway now I have 3 other ideas for decks and it's all downhill from here.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dizz posted:

i could see restricting any card thats worth $40 and over, so people can build decks at reasonable amounts without someone donating five kidneys for a power 8 deck against upgraded precons.

I guess my question is how do you determine whether something is over $40? What if a card you use just happens to rise in price due to speculator fuckery? I have a copy of Eater of the Dead in my Mairsil deck that was $3.50 when I bought it but now is something like $45 because someone is (alleged to be) buying up copies of it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

ObsidianBeast posted:

I just played my first ever game of commander last night, and it was a blast!

That's awesome!

quote:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

https://mtgazone.com/streets-of-new-capenna-early-preview/

:swoon:

well i think i know what will be the first box that i purchase, holy poo poo i'm in love with this art

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Truant posted:

well i think i know what will be the first box that i purchase, holy poo poo i'm in love with this art

This set loving owns already. This year is gonna own too.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

ObsidianBeast posted:

one of us

one of us

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Johnny Truant posted:

I was super hesitant when I heard about this set about mobster demons or ogres or something. I was happy to have a new plane, but it was hard to imagine this meshing well with the existing theme. I'm still hesitant to see people wearing suits in magic, but this sort of 'Art Deco' (i'm not well versed in architecture or art, so I don't know if that is the right term) look is just so loving pretty.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Art deco owns and this actually looks a lot more interesting than Kamigawa. The last few sets have really dulled my interest in this game, so hopefully the rest of this set bears out. As much as I'm sick of the constant spoiler season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I want Karn to show up in New Capenna because I want a card with a robot wearing a pinstripe suit and fedora holding a magical tommy gun