Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Then the 200 helicopter assault actually finished off the airport but they couldn't translate that into overthrowing the government so their still unprepared army kept getting massacred and started running out of supplies.

As far as I can tell, it did never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Panzeh posted:

I think the amphib ops are mostly a decoy, a la Desert Storm.

I tend to agree. There is already fighitn about 100km from Odesa. It makes more sense for them to go primarily from the east. There was some gunfire audible today in the city.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So will ATGM hit those big rear end ships? The ones like this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1499655740428017665

If so can ATGM and RPGs do damage to something like that?

Yes, but those would also be attacking an area without even air parity, making them vulnerable to the much more deadly towed and self propelled artillery pieces you would want suppressed or destroyed. Modern artillery has the range and precision to hit landing craft.

E: also they would have to either bring the cruiser through a minefield closer to shore or leave it's protection envelope and risk the Ukrainians having an anti ship missile battery ready.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 4, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Concerned Citizen posted:

dude, the russians wanted them to leave. the ideal russia situation would have been for literally every civilian to leave the city because they just wanted to loving level the thing. it's certainly possible they fired on civilians but the entire point of the thing was to get them out, they didn't need to setup some fake corridor in order to kill civilians if that was their goal.

As has been stated, the Russians have a well-documented history of not caring about civilian casualties. You are asking "why would the Russians kill Chechen civilians using a massacre carried out by "unknown assailants" when they could have just simply shelled the city into oblivion, making it painfully clear who killed the civilians?" The question answers itself.

KitConstantine posted:

Interesting that the Ukrainians are able to take proactive measures like this in the south right now.

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1499814404925399041?t=NxNjd6hQjWnTF95dRix5mQ&s=19

Assuming this is accurate, I find that curious more than anything. Transnitria hasn't apparently made any moves so far, and if the rest of the south falls, that won't matter. What that suggests to me is that Ukraine may have received some new intelligence which made cutting off that route at this time important.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cocktail name suggestions:

White Russian - Ghost of Kyiv, obviously
Moscow Mule - Kharkiv Javelin

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

steinrokkan posted:

What should we rename
- the white Russian
- the Moscow mule

Drink name proposals:

Javelin (gives you a splitting headache)
Mariupolitan
Zaporozhian Reply
Chernobyl Sarcophagus
Blue & Yellow
Stolen Tank
Vladimir's Victory Wine

Dessert name proposals:

Muddy Roads

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ukrainian Tractor could also work for Moscow Mules

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

RPGs can absolutely blow holes in most ships, since they aren't really armoured to hold an RPG blast. The landing ships may hold them, though.

Either way, with so much forewarning, any naval landing is going to be a daytime bloodbath.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Assuming this is accurate, I find that curious more than anything. Transnitria hasn't apparently made any moves so far, and if the rest of the south falls, that won't matter. What that suggests to me is that Ukraine may have received some new intelligence which made cutting off that route at this time important.

It could be that it saves armed men from guarding that bridge as they are more in need elsewhere.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Panzeh posted:

They tie up the troops.protecting Odessa... but then probably so does whatever is in Transnistria.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

OddObserver posted:

They tie up the troops.protecting Odessa... but then probably so does whatever is in Transnistria.

Vampire separatists, presumably, but the good news is the Ukrainian witches can handle them.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

the popes toes posted:

Here's an interesting comparison (from Bloomberg)

I've been pretty happy with the way the Canadian government has been handling this. Canada has the third most Ukrainians in it after Ukraine and Russia. :canada:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Panzeh posted:

I mean, they've been able to execute complex strategic maneuvers so well up until now...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

these thugs are giant loving cowards. i have seen a couple videos of russian soldiers just wasting cars and ambulances and crowds because gently caress knows why. they should be thankful as gently caress the ukranians are treating their prisons mostly well so far.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

yeah. very much yeah and i don't think they have air parity in that region, so alot of Russians are gonna die, badly.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Quorum posted:

Vampire separatists, presumably, but the good news is the Ukrainian witches can handle them.

There are Russian troops there, but I am not sure of numbers, and they're presumably not configured with the heavy stuff.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, they've been able to execute complex strategic maneuvers so well up until now...

Hey man the VDV can only drop in so many places at once!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Nenonen posted:

It could be that it saves armed men from guarding that bridge as they are more in need elsewhere.

A valid possibility, but if that's the case, why not blow it up at the start of hostilities instead of a week-and-a-half in? That gives more time to position your forces elsewhere and makes it safer to reposition.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Anecdotal and all, but in a "I know someone who knows someone" way, I've heard that us intel isn't necessarily missing anything, but frequently things are being brought up in meetings as new info where everyone in the room is like "yeah, that was on Reddit 8 hours ago".

Getting data is never the bottleneck. Analyzing the data is the hard part, but even then the analysis isn't really going to help anyone unless you can use it to make an actionable plan, which takes further work.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

MikeC posted:

They do, which makes their failures so far so preplexing. Their initial moves were either the result of incompetent planning, or insufficient planning due to a last minute decision to invade, or a failure to understand that the Ukrainians would actually fight instead of simply watching uncoordinated Russian columns move in with their mouths open.

So far, serious observers are waiting for signs the Russians are cleaning up their act. We have seen little of that though to be fair, it would probably take more time than has passed since the invasion began for them to fix any of the unsuspected underlying issues.

It may also be because the Gerogian and Crimean operations were made by the small full time professional core of the Russian army while this operation is clearly documented to rely on many conscript formations that are decidedly unprofessional and unable to actually carry out Russian war plans.

The Ukrainian military is in a completely different league to what is was in 2014. Russia expected the military to remain mostly passive and/or simply give up. So I don't think it is perplexing at all - their failure to understand the Ukrainian will and ability to defend against invasion is a product of an increasingly extremist and detached Chekist apex. In a strong Chekist state realists make sure things like don't happen. I am absolutely sure that there are plenty of Russian top brass that understood things perfectly - or at least were capable of considering the risk of this scenario. With things already devolved into in yes-men focusing on internal power struggles (Putin isn't young and quite possibly ill) over the best interests of the state, that didn't really matter.

The scary thing, as I see it, is that if history had happened slightly different - no covid to come in the way of whatever Russian expansion moves were planned during the Trump years, no illness (body and/or mind) causing Putin to advance the timetable at present, and/or no Zelensky to galvanize Ukraine - then Russia might have had time and opportunity to grow into a much more formidable fascist empire. We're certainly not in the clear yet, and the ongoing tragedy in Ukraine should not be considered the inevitable price of Putin's madness. I refuse to accept that there is nothing the world can do but watch and send aid. NATO might unable to act, but that just shows that Europe cannot rely solely on NATO for stability and safety. The interests of the US and Europe do not always align fully - and priorities certainly do not.

But that's a thing few predicted: this invasion seems to have set Europe on a fast-track path to increased militarization and a more unified foreign and security policy. Depending on how the coming months play out, we could be looking at a world shedding even more cold war legacy, and moving towards new constellations and balances of power.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TulliusCicero posted:

Hey man the VDV can only drop in so many places at once!

Speaking of, there's another version of the song now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSzAnNU4u28

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://twitter.com/olya_borderless/status/1499640949714083843

:hmmyes:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Panzeh posted:

Sure maybe that was the original plan but somewhere around trying and failing to call in Kazakhstan they may have changed their minds.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

not even worth posting, ignore it.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 4, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A valid possibility, but if that's the case, why not blow it up at the start of hostilities instead of a week-and-a-half in? That gives more time to position your forces elsewhere and makes it safer to reposition.

Because blowing up your own bridges just in case means you'll have to rebuild them later? Maybe the commander who gave the order didn't feel it was justified until now. It could also be taken as defeatism.

Alternative theory could be that intelligence suggests that the Russian forces in Transnistria would try a supporting attack or something. The garrison there is not big but neither can be the Ukrainian forces guarding the border against them. If Russia was going to land troops at Odesa, they would then try to tie up some defenders.

I'm just thinking aloud here, there is no basis for this from just one video.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 4, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Captain Beans posted:

I’ve heard a lot of hubbub about how US military has all this experience from Iraq/Afghanistan and that you need experience or your military becomes a joke.

But shouldn’t Russia have plenty of operational experience from Georgia, Crimea and the insurgency in Donbas?

no, these were all comparatively tiny. Crimea and the breakaway regions didn't even require combat to take and Syria likely was the biggest source of recent experience and that was mostly airforce/armor. Georgia was 15 years ago.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

To chime in with a lot of other posters, oh yeah. The effective range on ATGMs and RPGs in this scenario would be pretty short, even against something as big as those ships, but if those ships come ashore they're never leaving :getin: :blyat::blyat::blyat:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Drink name proposals:

Javelin (gives you a splitting headache)
Mariupolitan
Zaporozhian Reply
Chernobyl Sarcophagus
Blue & Yellow
Stolen Tank
Vladimir's Victory Wine

Dessert name proposals:

Muddy Roads

freedom fries :xd:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

khwarezm posted:

I mean it still counts in a dumb 'freedom fries' kind of way. But more personally a friend of mine has Russian family and he was saying that his in-laws have just kind of stopped speaking Russian in public because people keep hassling them about it.

I kind of doubt the average westerner is any good at distinguishing Slavic languages from each other so it wouldn't surprise me if some Ukrainian speakers had to deal with something similar under the same logic in the most ironic of ironies.

This is nothing new. One of my best friends is Sikh, and while he is largely nonpracticing, a lot of his family is. Apparently a lot of them were harassed to some extent post-9/11 due to wearing turbans and Americans assuming turban = Muslim = terrist at the time.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

smug n stuff posted:

It’s very unlikely that this is true. Even if the big convoy is stalled, the Russians are still advancing towards Kyiv from the northeast and it’s still being shelled

You can't reasonably take the western side of Kyiv from the east. Some of the bridges have already been dropped as a precaution, and the remaining ones are all probably very mined. The river is too wide to bridge, at least so long as there is a single mortar left in the city.

CommieGIR posted:

Russian tanks are about quantity over quality

I think this is not really true. Russian tanks are more about mobility over protection, which fits their doctrine. For most of the cold war, Russian tanks were actually really good in comparison to the western ones, they just emphasized different values.

Of course, now the problem is that mostly cold-war era tanks are facing very modern weaponry.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

these thugs are giant loving cowards. i have seen a couple videos of russian soldiers just wasting cars and ambulances and crowds because gently caress knows why. they should be thankful as gently caress the ukranians are treating their prisons mostly well so far.

Near the end there will be much less reason to keep them alive....

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

khwarezm posted:

I mean it still counts in a dumb 'freedom fries' kind of way. But more personally a friend of mine has Russian family and he was saying that his in-laws have just kind of stopped speaking Russian in public because people keep hassling them about it.

I kind of doubt the average westerner is any good at distinguishing Slavic languages from each other so it wouldn't surprise me if some Ukrainian speakers had to deal with something similar under the same logic in the most ironic of ironies.

A pro-tip to follow is if an immigrant is living outside the country where that language is spoken, they might have issues with the situation in the country where that language is spoken. and are likely even more passionate about those issues than someone who learned about the existance of ukraine 2 weeks ago!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Vampire Panties posted:

To chime in with a lot of other posters, oh yeah. The effective range on ATGMs and RPGs in this scenario would be pretty short, even against something as big as those ships, but if those ships come ashore they're never leaving :getin: :blyat::blyat::blyat:

Do western forces have any land based dedicated anti ship launchers that would serve the same purpose a shore battery would in WW2?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Wow that ship is awesome looking. Evil, but awesome. The bow opens up like a mouth and tanks roll out the front?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

So take these guys, they are not wearing standard military camo kit/uniforms, but they have the arm band; therefore, if they are captured—even ‘behind’ Russian lines, they are legal combatants and cannot, ‘legally’ speaking anyway, be treated as spies or saboteurs, and must be treated as POWs with the full protections that implies.
There's no different legal regime for anyone. You're either a civilian or a combatant. Nobody gets to merc anyone, especially not once they're captured.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Nato is probabily providing real time aircraft info to Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt5j2mrXLks

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Apple Maps seem to have changed Russian Ministry of Defense to Ministry of Fascism.

https://twitter.com/yasyapro/status/1499832667927416839

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

So the Finnish president Niinistö is meeting with president Biden in the White House. Swedish prime minister and defence minister are coming to Helsinki to meet with the prime minister Marin and president Niinistö. Then Finnish defence minister is scheduled to meet with president Biden.

Something is cooking, right? I will honor the Finnish tradition and not utter the N-word.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

the popes toes posted:

Where on earth are you seeing that? Beyond goofballs taking vodka off the shelves?

Unfortunately it is real and idiots are everywhere. Here is a vandalized Russian shop in Germany

https://twitter.com/colonelhomsi/status/1499160168382275590?t=QJAebaGE3Lq2qGbYLvjTog&s=19

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

kaaj posted:

I’ve seen Russian citizens mocking the special military operation and replacing the word “war” with “special military operation” in random contexts

So it turns out that Tolstoy wrote “Special Military Operation and Peace”

Star Special Military Operations: A small band of freedom fighters combat an evil autocrat and his inept but significantly larger military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Every person in Canada knows what a poutine is, especially in Quebec. This makes no sense other than maybe people from outside the country getting confused. There's poutine places everywhere here.