Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I guess it's like a core part of their style of difficulty, but not having a single way to get immunity to rot/poison/death whatever just makes enemies that constantly spew clouds of the stuff turn into a tedious waiting game of running back and waiting for the immunity bar to slowly creep down to an acceptable level then go back in and attack.

That plus the lakes of poison/rot are a trash way to just make traversal/encounters arbitrarily difficult. They aren't making entire caves covered in magma floors you have to parkour from platform to platform on (are they?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

codo27 posted:

I was searching for a way to reach the beach on the east coast of the Caelid region. Found what appeared to be a great way to do it, a pillar with platforms beneath it that I thought I could rappel down. Nope, just invisible-walled which is weird for these games, and I just fell to my death instead.

There’s a major boss fight there. You get there via the festival at redmane castle

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Khanstant posted:

haven't spoiled it yet, but absolutely. No point in making such a big thing you can just kill trivially in complete tedious safety chopping a tail that doesn't come off, it's gotta be tied to something else.

There is not, no. The intended way that fight is meant to work is that the dragon has a billion HP that the % damage of bloodloss bypasses. You're supposed to have to kill all the dragons around the big immobile one, because she takes damage from every dead smaller dragon.

You're supposed to fight the dragon, the premise just has too many ways to dodge its conceits.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

Huh. Does that apply to all PvP (invasions, etc.) or just to the dueling arenas?

Because the ideal way to nerf Moonveil would probably be to make the shockwave deal like half (or less) of its damage to players but just leave it as-is on non-player enemies.

All. I think it was mostly to keep oneshotting with buffs (particularly in ganks) somewhat under control. Otherwise you would have 1.2x multiplying with 1.25x, to give end multipliers above 2 before even using RTSR+Morion Blade - then you'd be looking at 2k AR at levels where nobody could reasonably tank that kind of hit with their beefy body.

quote:

That plus the lakes of poison/rot are a trash way to just make traversal/encounters difficult. They aren't making entire caves covered in magma floors you have to parkour from platform to platform on (are they?)

As you were typing this, did you come to a realization? Because if so, you are correct.

Idiot Doom Spiral fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 4, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deviant posted:

major spoilers for endings
anyone figured out the Age Absolute ending conditions yet? the only weirdness i see is that you could get frenzied flame, burn the tree yourself, and then cure it with the needle so you have a non flame ending with melina still alive

Lmao what the hell how many endings are there

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jaytan posted:

There’s a major boss fight there. You get there via the festival at redmane castle

It's a notable problem if you're like me and have map completion-itis where there's several areas that are just somehow inaccessible that you can clearly see are places to explore and you'll get the cave/mine/secret teleport after a static event.

Fire mountain past the castle/manor, getting into the capital (elevator is broken but there's that secret cave), beaches, and parts of the southwest around blighttown are all a pain to navigate if you don't know the exact path to the areas you want to go to.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Deviant posted:

major spoilers for endings
anyone figured out the Age Absolute ending conditions yet? the only weirdness i see is that you could get frenzied flame, burn the tree yourself, and then cure it with the needle so you have a non flame ending with melina still alive

If it's anything like the other endings found in the last few days, my speculation is it probably involves progressing nepheli's quest, which I don't think anyone has figured out how to do yet and could easily be pretty loving obscure because of how it interacts with seluvis's quest. Pretty cool for a secret ending to last so long

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Professional critics take note!

https://youtu.be/E2wy9210fSY

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao what the hell how many endings are there

Worth noting that a lot of the endings are very, very similar.

Minor spoilers about the number of endings: there are only three ending achievements, but one of them (the "Elden Lord" one) has a bunch of variants. My guess is that if the "Age Absolute" ending is real, it's another variant on the Elden Lord ending just like Age of Fracture, Age of Duskborn, Age of Order, and Blessing of Despair endings.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
How are you effectively causing bloodloss? Is it mostly weapons/weapon arts? All the other effect sources use the same ingredient bloodrose to craft.

Crafting ingredients are all farmable and respawn as well right? I occasionally see some with a blue background and merchants have some listed for sale as "hard to find".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

You don't like the boss they loved so much they put a half dozen variants of him in? :(

Crucible knight is cool, imo. Like the new black knight except way more hard-core.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MarshyMcFly posted:

and this is why anyone who says vigor 40 is mandatory for this game is full of cocky doody

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

There is not, no. The intended way that fight is meant to work is that the dragon has a billion HP that the % damage of bloodloss bypasses. You're supposed to have to kill all the dragons around the big immobile one, because she takes damage from every dead smaller dragon.

You're supposed to fight the dragon, the premise just has too many ways to dodge its conceits.

The premise is "gently caress dragons, they get what they deserve".

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MarshyMcFly posted:

Yeah that's been my experience with that boss so far. he was so much easier on horseback :(

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sample_text posted:

Also, this is the first enemy I encountered with no immediately observable weaknesses of any sort.
Is he some kind of bullshit edge-case that I should expect to be nerfed in a coming patch, or does he have some gimmick I;m not noticing?
Or am I just supposed to out-stat him and come back later?

Update :

I tried fighting it on horse-back and the thing gap-closed on me from 20 meters away 2-shotting me.
Any tips?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

and this is why anyone who says vigor 40 is mandatory for this game is full of cocky doody

although i will point out i don't know why you thought casting golden vow the spell and then golden vow the weapon art would stack

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Harrow posted:

Minor spoilers about the number of endings: there are only three ending achievements, but one of them (the "Elden Lord" one) has a bunch of variants. My guess is that if the "Age Absolute" ending is real, it's another variant on the Elden Lord ending just like Age of Fracture, Age of Duskborn, Age of Order, and Blessing of Despair endings.

yeah it's what

Elden lord -> age of fracture/duskborn/despair/order
Age of Stars
lord of the frenzied flame

so far that have been seen?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just got invaded during the Radahn fight. I didn't know that was possible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

There should be an ending where Patches becomes Elden Lord

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sample_text posted:

Update :

I tried fighting it on horse-back and the thing gap-closed on me from 20 meters away 2-shotting me.
Any tips?

I haven't seen this guy yet I don't think, where's Laskyar ruins?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sample_text posted:

Update :

Any tips?

Got a screenshot? I can't think of what you're describing. First time through those ruins i was panic running around and aggroing everything until i stumbled on a waygate that teleported me straight to the academy and i forgot all about those ruins until much later when i went back and everything was trivial to kill

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

tildes posted:

I’m working on playing a dex/int wizard, and am wondering what int cutoffs there are for spells/items. I’ve made it to like 52 int with the boost from a helmet I found, and that is just enough for every spell I’ve found so far. Am I likely to get anything this isn’t enough int to use before I hit the point I can respec? Basically wondering if I’m good to just pump vigor/endurance now and lean into melee more, or if I’ll end up finding a dope spell I don’t meet the requirements for and regret it.

Also, it seems like the only way to parry with a weapon is by sticking a parry ash on it, right? Forever caught between using my staff in my offhand for the spells vs a shield for the guard counters.

There's at least one spell that requires 70 Int.

You can only parry with a weapon using the parry ash/skill.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

I just got invaded during the Radahn fight. I didn't know that was possible.

Oh my god

I know where I'm gonna try invading now lmao

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Shortest Path posted:

I think Bloodhound Step is gonna be a problem. I've watched a few people using it in pvp and it's arguably even worse than the old ninja flip ring in ds1 before it got nerfed.

It can be used with most weapons, it ignores your weight class, it's faster and moves farther than anything else including full tilt sprinting, it can be attacked immediately out of, etc.

We're gonna be back to the good old days of ninja flipping haveldads with zweihanders.

Pvp seems like it's gonna be super weapon art focused in general.
If you're using bloodhound step you are super mobile but the fact that you have a mobility WA means you aren't oneshotting some nerd with a moonveil slash or a 20-hit katana combo instead.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sunhi with the most powerful video yet

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1499809725785030660?t=gzmnjj1movEoJltC6475uw&s=19

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

game pretty

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Decided to poke around on Reddit and found some surprisingly even takes on Moonveil, with people mostly pointing out that there are even crazier weapons in the game, it's just that everyone watched the same Youtube videos so Moonveil is all over the place right now.

Also, a note on Moonveil is that while it seems to trivialize the game early on, and definitely dominates in mid-game, it really isn't nearly as broken for the very late game and endgame areas, from what I've seen. It's still very strong, don't get me wrong, but enemies stop getting staggered by one weapon art, and bosses become much more capable of tanking it and punishing you. In fact if you're into using Moonveil I'd recommend getting into dual-wielding with another katana because that's where the real DPS is. This is why I figure the calls for it to be nerfed will taper off eventually (though whether that happens before From decides a nerf is necessary remains to be seen)--so many people are using it because they saw it on Youtube and are in the middle portions of the game where it really does dominate that it appears better than it is. And I bet PvPers will learn how to deal with it sooner than later.

People are sleeping on Hoarfrost Stomp, too.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm going nuts trying out different ashes on my caestus. They're all so cool and good. It "helps" that Endure isn't as insanely OP as Perseverance was in ds3 since i don't use it as much now, so there's incentive to experiment with different arts and raises my Mind a little

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Has anyone found any secrets that require gestures yet? I doubt they have anything like the multiple new zones in DS3, but I've found the secret wolf quest with the snapping gesture and a statue making the ring gesture that triggers an event if you use the ring gesture back.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Where do you find the Shield Ash of War that makes enemy attacks bounce back more frequently?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

Decided to poke around on Reddit and found some surprisingly even takes on Moonveil, with people mostly pointing out that there are even crazier weapons in the game, it's just that everyone watched the same Youtube videos so Moonveil is all over the place right now.

Also, a note on Moonveil is that while it seems to trivialize the game early on, and definitely dominates in mid-game, it really isn't nearly as broken for the very late game and endgame areas, from what I've seen. It's still very strong, don't get me wrong, but enemies stop getting staggered by one weapon art, and bosses become much more capable of tanking it and punishing you. In fact if you're into using Moonveil I'd recommend getting into dual-wielding with another katana because that's where the real DPS is. This is why I figure the calls for it to be nerfed will taper off eventually (though whether that happens before From decides a nerf is necessary remains to be seen)--so many people are using it because they saw it on Youtube and are in the middle portions of the game where it really does dominate that it appears better than it is. And I bet PvPers will learn how to deal with it sooner than later.

People are sleeping on Hoarfrost Stomp, too.

i'm annoyed because i stumbled into finding it entirely by accident and so it was a delicious little treat From gave me as a reward for exploring meanwhile everyone else watched youtube content creator video #4937-B with an "UBER DRIVER SUCKED ME OFF???" thumbnail without even playing the game to go pick it up

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

MarshyMcFly posted:

I'm level 90 and this POS is still a POS. Don't feel bad.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

god drat this game hates big weapon players. every boss is faster than me now but I don't have the materials to boost a new, faster weapon to similar levels of what I have (loving [3] stones :argh:)

for example, draconic tree sentinel can oneshot me with an undodgeable lightning strike, or he can twoshot me with a combo that kills my horse and lays me out like a chump on the ground. meanwhile I'm lucky if I can actually connect with a swing because it takes a year to execute and drains a third of my stamina. at least the stake is literally right there, can't wait to fight three of these bastards at once later because that's how they designed difficulty this time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
E: ^^^ that lightning strike is dodgeable, i dodge it all the time on horseback. You just gotta time it right

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Has anyone found any secrets that require gestures yet? I doubt they have anything like the multiple new zones in DS3, but I've found the secret wolf quest with the snapping gesture and a statue making the ring gesture that triggers an event if you use the ring gesture back.

There's a tower that requires you to wear a glintstone crown and do the Erudition gesture, which you can get from that sad sack you meet after Stormveil

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

eleven extra elephants posted:

Where do you find the Shield Ash of War that makes enemy attacks bounce back more frequently?

i got it off a horse riding knight in the weeping peninsula if i remember correctly

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Hoarfrost stomp with the giant smasher is the best combo. It clears groups while I one shot the big stuff with the hammer.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Got a screenshot? I can't think of what you're describing. First time through those ruins i was panic running around and aggroing everything until i stumbled on a waygate that teleported me straight to the academy and i forgot all about those ruins until much later when i went back and everything was trivial to kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pagJn9I5LuM&t=165s

This guy.

I managed to beat him through sheer luck on my last flask with a lucky lightning spear.
Yeah no, gently caress that guy, he veers straight into bullshit territory.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
drat, the Uchigatana is meaty as hell even upgraded to +4 or 5. I have an Ash that bumped the str to B and it does 220 on paper, but you can swing it so fast that it easily outdoes everything else I've got even if they're stronger on paper. I've been farming giants at that field near the Warmaster shack whenever I get within 6 or 7k of a level just because it's such low risk now, it's an easy 7k runes every couple of minutes just because you can kill them so fast, and if for some reason you do die on accident it's so easy to get the runes back.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

eleven extra elephants posted:

There's a miniboss that only spawns at night that patrols the main road on the southern landmass below the starting area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sample_text posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pagJn9I5LuM&t=165s

This guy.

I managed to beat him through sheer luck on my last flash with a lucky lightning spear.
Yeah no, gently caress that guy, he veers straight into bullshit territory.

Oh yeah that motherfucker. He wasn't there when i went back, not sure why. But don't worry you'll meet more later in a particular spot! :)

E: agreed on him being bullshit. He killed my rear end with chain staggers from swiping me with his hands nonstop