Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Page or so back but SQL bro is particularly funny to me because I've been writing SQL for years and I'm useless at Excel. I used to work with several people who are very good at Excel and whenever I had to do something more complicated than Ctrl+F I'd have to ask one of them.

Also sweat guy--how tf did that prevent him from keeping up with her? Was he just doing like slapstick slip and falls around the sidewalk for the entire run because of the amount of sweat?

e: Snipe, sorry, attempt at some content:

Partner (m,52) needs more intellectual stimulation from me (f,40)

quote:

My partner and I originally went to pre marital counseling when we got engaged, but we’ve continued bc we continue to go through dry spells in the bedroom. I’ve never actually felt particularly sexually satisfied by him, but I love him and we have a good relationship otherwise. The problem is that as I’ve grown older my libido has increased and I want more from him. I am ashamed to admit I tried to start kissing him during a movie despite the fact that I know he does not like to be interrupted. He was upset about it (and our therapist pointed out it was a big boundary violation on my part). He was mainly upset bc he feels like he wants to be able to watch the movie together and then have an engaging discussion about it. He also admitted that he has lost attraction to me bc we don’t have stimulating conversations. This doesn’t seem true to me, but I think he wants more than what we are currently having. Anyway, I’m really struggling bc I see him flirt with our friends (smart intellectual women) and I feel sad and like I’m not enough for him. Our therapist thinks our situation is unusual but has encouraged me to engage him more on this level. Has anyone had this kind of conflict in their marriage and what did you do about it?

TL;DR! My partner needs more intellectual stimulation from me.

Not wildly interesting but trying to kiss your partner during a movie is a "big boundary violation"?

MK-Ultramarathon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

artsy fartsy posted:

The most baffling part of this is the very last paragraph

AITA for calling my brother a “sore, slow loser?”

The wife has been far, far too tolerant

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Not wildly interesting but trying to kiss your partner during a movie is a "big boundary violation"?

BBV

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Posting this because it puts a very pleasant image in my head and it's all I'm going to think about for the rest of the day:

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

I have a 3-year-old daughter, “Jennifer.” She’s recently gotten big enough and curious enough to head outside in the backyard, and the weather has been cooperating with that. I or my wife supervise her when she’s out; lately, there’s been a problem that I want to dismiss, but I’m not so sure.

Our neighbors have a trampoline in the backyard, and a Labrador retriever, around 6 years old. The dog likes to bounce on the trampoline, and I always thought it was cute. You could see him cresting the fence, and he’d often give a little bark at the apex of the bounce. However, the “mean dog barking at her” absolutely terrifies Jennifer, and she’ll sometimes come running back inside crying. I’ve tried explaining that the dog can’t get over the fence, and isn’t being mean to her, but no dice. I’m not sure if this is the sort of thing she’ll get over on her own. I’ve thought about bringing her over to the neighbors to see the dog up close, but that might go very badly. My wife leans towards the “Just ignore it and it will go away on its own” camp, but I have to admit I’m not all that easy with it. Is she right? Should I just be ignoring this? Or should I be doing something? If so, what?

— Backyard Problems

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they're are services for AV products similar to the echo show that let you log in to the device remotely and even look through the camera, but I don't know if (and kind of doubt) that is available for consumer Amazon tablets like that. you also have to pay a subscription, and the ones I have seen do not do it secretly. it would be obvious if the camera was on and looking around

also you have to be in front of it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

artsy fartsy posted:

OP is aggravatingly close to being reasonable, but faltered a bit by listening to their inexplicably lovely friend, and not leaning further into reminding the brother he's living there on their generosity and will rapidly not be doing so if he doesn't cut that poo poo out.
I wonder why the brother is divorced :confused:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Invisible Clergy posted:

Looks like it's Tuesday again.

Legs: yes
Raw chicken: no

AITA for yelling at my bf for taking a nap with his roommate?

lady hasn't heard of kissing the homies goodnight

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

coronatae posted:

Posting this because it puts a very pleasant image in my head and it's all I'm going to think about for the rest of the day:

:cheersdoge: *BOING* Yip!

:stonk: "OH HELL NO, I'M GOING INSIDE!"

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

NGL, if I ever end up with a glass eye, it'll be really tempting to start pulling revolting pranks with it

Old post, but my cousin lost her eye as a newborn and was fitted with a prosthetic eye. Her favourite trick as a toddler was to take it off unnoticed, put it in her mouth during dinner and spit it out with the baby food.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for allowing a work acquaintance to embarrass herself by unknowingly asking my boyfriend out?

quote:

I (Paula, 31/F) attended a large, multi-day work conference that my boyfriend Tom (48/M) also attended. We work for different companies, network with different people, and pretty much only saw each other when it was time to go to sleep. Most people don't know we're together because neither of us have a social media presence or talk about our personal lives that much. I primarily stuck with the people I knew from my office (Sarah and Marilyn) and a couple of other people that I knew from school.

One woman, Tiana (39/F) knew Marilyn and decided to stick close to our group, and she had a kind of mean girl attitude that I only remember from high school. Tiana is gorgeous and she knows it, and for some reason my existence seemed to personally offend her. It may be because I'm average-looking and plus-sized, she may have some personal beef with me that I don't know about, I don't know. But she would constantly make little passive-aggressive digs at me. About my hair-"I just love how you have a signature look and wear your hair in a bun every day with the little wispies" (which are just frizz). About what I'm eating "Those bread rolls looked so good but I was just stuffed after eating only half, do you want mine too?" and she would do things like ask me to take a picture of her, Sarah, and Marilyn, or call the Uber for all of us and be the one to sit up front. (ETA: She wanted me to call the Uber and sit up front, and said that the three of them would fit nicely in the back). Just little, subtle digs all conference.

Before the closing cocktail reception we were in the bathroom freshening up, and Tiana started talking about a "really attractive guy with green eyes" at one of her sessions and my ears perked up. (ETA: When she continued talking about him I knew it was Tom). She said that she had talked to him briefly and thought there was some chemistry there, and said she was going to ask him out at the closing cocktail reception. I pretended not to know who she was talking about. I just nodded and smiled while she talked about how it was good they were the same age (ETA: because in her words age gap relationships are gross) and how she hadn't dated anyone in awhile and should shoot her shot.

While we were at the cocktail reception I (from across the room) watched Tiana go over to Tom and start talking. Tom has told me that she complimented his eyes, said that she didn't see a ring on his finger, and asked if he had a girlfriend. He said "Yes, Paula, she's actually here." As I was moving through the crowd toward her and Tom,Tiana recovered and ran off, and Sarah has said that she immediately rounded her, Marilyn, and a couple of others up and started poo poo-talking me, and saying things like how she couldn't believe someone like Tom would date someone like me in the first place, etc. But Sarah has asked me to put this to Reddit because of how mortified and embarrassed Tiana was afterward, so I submit this for public consideration...AITA?

I hope this spec script for Mean Girls 3 gets green lit!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I had heard sp**k refer to spies, like CIA, as well as another word for ghost or monster before I knew it was a racial slur too. I also thought it was a super antiquated slur, so that was why people used it in other contexts. Do people who aren't 90 year old rednecks still use it as a slur?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

A Moose posted:

I had heard sp**k refer to spies, like CIA, as well as another word for ghost or monster before I knew it was a racial slur too. I also thought it was a super antiquated slur, so that was why people used it in other contexts. Do people who aren't 90 year old rednecks still use it as a slur?
I had only ever heard it regarding spies, I had no idea it was an old-timey slur as well

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ponzicar posted:

I am just confused about the 3 straw method. You can drink quite quickly from a single straw already. Or even just gulp it straight from the rim.

Three straw guy is amateur hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnUOt5ahdwo

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

that is not the result I expected :lol:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DoctorWhat posted:

lady hasn't heard of kissing the homies goodnight

Those homies were too pure for this world

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A Moose posted:

I was confused for a second too, I think that one's a combo of not being part of the group it targets, and not being anywhere I've ever heard it used. I recognized it after it was pointed out, but it's not one that I would've remembered as problematic on my own, the CIA slang is the only one I would've thought of and even that's rare enough that I might miss it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for demanding my husband to go to therapy to fix his controlling nature?

Sorry for being a few pages back but this lady's friends are trying to convince her that her husband paying off the mortgage and buying a smart screen for the kitchen is abusive. I'm guessing the friends are trying to break them up for some reason.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

8one6 posted:

Sorry for being a few pages back but this lady's friends are trying to convince her that her husband paying off the mortgage and buying a smart screen for the kitchen is abusive. I'm guessing the friends are trying to break them up for some reason.

For some women, that idea that a man wouldn't spend a windfall on them first and instead use the money for long term financial stability is abusive behavior. I wouldn't even say they are trying, they just honestly think that situation is terrible and how dare he not take her to Bali for 3 weeks or something instead.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What's funny is that the kid and her friends are probably way too young to recognize sp**k as a slur, but her parents seem like they probably know, and yet THAT's not the problem they have with the nickname. Because of course it isn't

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
40, UK goon here and yes it's an old fashioned slur you don't hear anymore, but 80s and 90s it was known and thrown around.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Maybe the nickname is not intended as a slur and as a girl she worked for the CIA, HMMMMM?!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

they're are services for AV products similar to the echo show that let you log in to the device remotely and even look through the camera, but I don't know if (and kind of doubt) that is available for consumer Amazon tablets like that. you also have to pay a subscription, and the ones I have seen do not do it secretly. it would be obvious if the camera was on and looking around

also you have to be in front of it

There is zero hacking involved in the process

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I usually only hear it in a CIA context, but I recognized it as an old-timey slur, just not one I've ever actually heard used except in some super racist old book I found in the library as a kid. I wasn't even 100% sure who it was racist against until now because I read it in a paragraph that was full of all sorts of wild slurs against every concievable non-white group to the point that I thought the author made some groups up just so they could be extra racist

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I knew all about that slur, but I am from Texas so...

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

CaptainViolence posted:

I usually only hear it in a CIA context, but I recognized it as an old-timey slur, just not one I've ever actually heard used except in some super racist old book I found in the library as a kid. I wasn't even 100% sure who it was racist against until now because I read it in a paragraph that was full of all sorts of wild slurs against every concievable non-white group to the point that I thought the author made some groups up just so they could be extra racist

Back to the Future is the only place I have ever actually heard it used as an actual slur. I am guessing they chose it because it wasn't as well known as the rest.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for wanting to take up my sisters offer to cook for my kids instead of my wife?

quote:

I (33M) have a wife (29F) who’s a stay at home mum to our 2 kids (two boys aged 2 and 5). We got married a little over 6 years ago and my wife had always been adamant on being a stay at home mum. I didn’t mind it at all as I was and still am making enough to get us by comfortably.

We have a full time nanny and a housekeeper, so realistically, my wife doesn’t ever have to cook, clean or even take care of the kids much. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind that. If she doesn’t have to struggle, why would she need to?

Anyway, our housekeeper left on a family emergency two weeks ago. I’m not sure when she’ll be back but I don’t intend on replacing her as she said she’ll be back soon. So we’ve had to cook for ourselves these past two weeks. I cook dinner and my wife cooks breakfast and lunch for the kids. The problem is, she’s been feeding the kids nothing but junk food these past two weeks. I’m not exaggerating. This is what an EVERYDAY breakfast and lunch looks like for my kids:

Breakfast - sugary cereal Lunch - hot dogs / fries with pre made nuggets

The only normal meals they have are dinner when I get home to cook.

I’m quite a healthy person and so is my wife, so I’ve been really confused recently. I brought it up to my wife and asked if she could maybe prepare food that has a bit more nutritional value for the kids and make the junk food a once a while kind of thing. She said “the kids love it, so what’s the problem?”. Obviously kids will love what’s not good for them, doesn’t mean they should have it all the time. I decided not to push it.

A few days ago, my wife’s friends came over and she cooked an entire gourmet meal for them. When they left, I asked her why she couldn’t give her kids the same effort or even half the effort. She said I’m getting on her nerves the way I’m undermining what she thinks is ok for HER kids. I got so mad and told her they’re my kids too and if she doesn’t want to care about their health, she should just say so so I can look for alternatives.

I called my sister to ask if she could get us a stand in chef for a few weeks till ours gets back, but she instead offered to cook both breakfast and lunch for the kids since she lives down the road. I told her I’ll get back to her once I ask my wife. Although I was still livid with her, I asked her if she was ok with the arrangements and she started shouting at the top of her lungs about how I don’t respect her as a mother.

I’m genuinely so fed up. What was I supposed to do? Let my kids eat that crap everyday till the housekeeper gets back?

AITA?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

There's a truly excellent film that uses the word in both the spying context and the other one.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

For some women, that idea that a man wouldn't spend a windfall on them first and instead use the money for long term financial stability is abusive behavior. I wouldn't even say they are trying, they just honestly think that situation is terrible and how dare he not take her to Bali for 3 weeks or something instead.

I mean it depends on their financial situation. The mortgage is the last or second to last thing you should pay off.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Partner (m,52) needs more intellectual stimulation from me (f,40)

Fire therapist, divorce partner

One is an idiot and the other already is yearning for other people, so just take that trash out and set it on the curb

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

duck trucker posted:

In the very back of my mind I kept thinking "isn't that a slur?" But I also couldn't remember when/where/how I learned that so I was starting to think I made it up as a kid.
back to the future.

also, in the second one, they use the slur "bone jockey" which i thought was a robot slur for humans. because it was the future.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

With the mortgage thing, I interpreted it as something to do with her getting mad about separate finances; is the house entirely in his name or something? I mean, I don't really care what her reasoning is, they seem to kind of hate each other so they should probably just go the way of their finances and separate themselves.

e:

quote:

Fire therapist, divorce partner
and yeah, it kind of seems like the therapist is doing therapy wrong, as a joke, although heaven knows we've seen plenty of bad therapists in the course of this thread

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

sullat posted:

I mean it depends on their financial situation. The mortgage is the last or second to last thing you should pay off.

The potential scenarios where the financially prudent option is spending a bonus on a vacation over debt repayment rounds down to zero.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Divorce is expensive.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

artsy fartsy posted:

lol muscle bros have poo poo cardio stamina.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for refusing to add my ex husband's name to the title of the bookshop I inherited from my father?

quote:

Context: My ex husband "Kevin", M37 and I, F35 got separated 2 years ago, We share custody of our 2 kids, nine & five.

My father owned a small bookstore in our hometown that I inherited recently. To be honest, the shop doesn't bring a lot of money and I already have a stable income.

Kevin found out and called for "an urgent meeting", He came over to my place and said he wanted to talk about the bookshop. I said what about it and he told me that now that the shop is officially mine then I should add his name on the title and split whatever profits I get 50/50, I was in shock I told him he had to be joking but he reminded me of when his dad passed away and left him inheritance money that he ended sharing with me, therefor I "owe him" half of my inheritance now. I didn't know what to say but I mentioned to him that yes, he did share his inheritance with me, but that was while we were married but now it's a different dynamic, And we no longer share anything. He got upset and argued that I technically owe him regardless of wether we're still together or not and urged me to consider because the money will be going towards the children anyway. We had a loud argument and I ended up saying that this will only happen in his dreams and telling him to wake up then told him to leave.

He tried to lash back but I insisted that he leave. He had his mother call me saying that I lied, decieved and stole from her son in the past and I owe him. Not just that but said that I should be rid of my pettiness and resentment towards Kevin and do the right thing for once. We founght on the phone and yesterday I was shocked when my 9 year old son called me a thief out of nowhere. This escalated the fight because Kevin got the kids involved.

I think that technically I do owe him because I can't deny that he shared his inheritance with me but..I think that now circumstances our different, Like when we used to share our salaries but now I don't expect him to do the same anymore obviously.

Still, I might be the delusional one so AITA?.

Edit: He has no background in laws but says he knows his rights which should be enough. he's actually the type that spell LAW: L-A-Double-ya. Lol.
how dare you deprive him of those sweet sweet small town bookshop profits.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for refusing to add my ex husband's name to the title of the bookshop I inherited from my father?

Give me your bookshop profits

quote:

he's actually the type that spell LAW: L-A-Double-ya.

lol

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The potential scenarios where the financially prudent option is spending a bonus on a vacation over debt repayment rounds down to zero.

I think sullat might be referring to paying off higher interest debt first. Almost every debt is better to pay off first than a mortgage...CC, medical, student loans...and even if you have none of those, it might still be better financially to stick it in a random index fund since that will probably out perform the APR on a mortgage?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think sullat might be referring to paying off higher interest debt first. Almost every debt is better to pay off first than a mortgage...CC, medical, student loans...and even if you have none of those, it might still be better financially to stick it in a random index fund since that will probably out perform the APR on a mortgage?

All of this is true, but the OP's friends were suggesting he should have blown it on a vacation.

e: If you want to substitute an alternative story where the OP wanted to pay down credit card debt but the husband used a bonus to pay down a mortgage without consulting her, then there's a different response. But that's not what happened.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 4, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I wish people would stop going to AITA with situations that they should be taking to their lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for throwing away my husband's stuff without his permission/knowledge?

A surprisingly clear and straightforward title for one of these. Ethics of selling/stealing/destroying/donating/throwing out/otherwise interfering with property you don't own aside, one somewhat counterintuitive reason why it is not ultimately in your best interest to just throw out all of a cohabitating hoarder's garbage yourself is that if they don't actually want to change, they will just replace it with more garbage to spite you, and you've gone through the effort of cleaning/sorting/lifting all their "this is a tshirt" tshirts and funko pops for nothing.

Not that that actually seems at play here if the husband only managed to acquire 6 trash bags of possessions OP didn't personally approve of in several years. OP is clearly just a drama goblin who felt her household was too peaceful and she needed to make like a horrible goose and cause trouble on purpose.

It says she tossed out 6 bags of his garbage and it took 2 years before he even noticed it wasn’t there, and there’s still mountains more of stuff taking up the rest of the house. Given that he gathers up stuff he doesn’t even want, and gets mad at the suggestion of parting with any of it, he’s definitely a hoarder and this won’t get better without therapy.