Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I contacted my tuner, and it turns out I need bigger injectors, so ordered some Snakeeater Performance 850cc injectors. Getting an appointment in April, so no hard driving for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
New rims and exhaust. Springs on the way woo

gently caress covid shipping times

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Black on black looks really good there. Now I'm wondering if I should paint my steelies black instead of silver

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Black on black looks really good there. Now I'm wondering if I should paint my steelies black instead of silver

Don't limit yourself. What color is the car?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

nitsuga posted:

Don't limit yourself. What color is the car?

Black, mostly. Normally I like some contrast is all

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Black, mostly. Normally I like some contrast is all

Yeah, lucky for you black goes with anything, so I’d say get a can of Plastidip in whatever color suits your mood and go ham on it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Panty Saluter posted:

Few cans of Plastidip as nitsuga mentioned is the way to go. Clean the wheels really well, stick playing cards between the wheel and tire and give it a few coats letting it dry between. Holds up pretty well then when you're sick of it some WD40 (let it soak) then a pressure washer will get most of it off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Advent Horizon posted:

I’ll post rear end pictures in my thread when I get it done but for now I just want to say that I’m really happy to have this going back together. Even when it’s violent (stupid sway bar links) it’s mostly enjoyable wrenching.

Orange diff covers on unpainted axle housings are for weirdos :colbert:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ordered a bunch of water temp senders as the one they came with the digital gauges was playing number wang and the vendor wasn’t much help with getting the spec for the sender. Managed to order one that works so now with all the work to put on a fan shroud etc… it sits between 180 and 195. Going to take it up some hills and see how it does. Finally got the engine mounts sorted after having to go buy other ones as the provided ones were not correct. Want to put on a shock extender mount in the rear due to how low it is but that means taking the spring plates out to get to the bolts I need to remove again which sucks so not this weekend. Will be getting the transmission looked at this week probably to just rebuild it and maybe make it a bit stronger for future upgrades. Then the exhaust will be done, alignment and AC making everything about as good as it can be mechanically on a 40 year old truck.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I definitely should have put the 160 thermostat in the car before I put the supercharger on. pain in the rear end.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Managed to catch it with the CEL off, got it smogged. Good for another year of driving a beater.

CEL is coming on because one of the O2 sensors is reading lean at times. Turns out one of the exhaust manifolds is cracked. :sigh: I'm not looking forward to snapping the exhaust studs off.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Raluek posted:

today i ripped this thing out

[...]

i got the shifter reassembled with the new parts today. it went pretty smoothly, after i cleaned everything up

i also discovered some more ways in which it was hosed up before.

first, what the hell is this. who even does this. why were they attacking the shift levers with a grinder? couldn't get the cotter pin out or something? but then why leave it like this? i filed it down so that the bushing would sit flat

second, the shift rods were attached incorrectly to the lever arms in the shifter. two of them were on the wrong side of the lever, so the linkages were being side-loaded instead of just pushing in and out. i know people call the T10 a side-loader, but that's ridiculous! :v:

third, some dipshit (presumably the same dipshit as the rest of the above) installed the shims in the wrong places. there's supposed to be no shim between 3/4 and 1/2 gates for a smooth shift between those, then the thick shim between 1/2 and R (presumably for the opposite reason, as well as moving it further away), and a thin shim between R and the plunger/carrier. they had the thick shim between 3/4 and 1/2, then the thin one where the thick should be, and nothing where the thin should be. fucken no wonder the shifter would get caught in neutral and the 2 -> 3 shift was never smooth. i always had to shift up, over, up very deliberately to keep the plunger from getting stuck. like the opposite of a power shift

i cant hope that this will solve all of the shifter problems ive been experiencing, but it better be a drat sight better after correcting what feels like 9999 mistakes by the PO. ill reinstall it tomorrow and see how it does. maybe ill break something or it will be totally jammed up! one way to find out!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

My dad's 34 (kit) had weird cutouts on the side panels, so he had some vents fabbed for them, we reinstalled the panels yesterday.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

AFewBricksShy posted:

My dad's 34 (kit) had weird cutouts on the side panels, so he had some vents fabbed for them, we reinstalled the panels yesterday.

That looks great. A bug becomes a feature!

I vacuumed my wife's 2012 CR-V LX yesterday. That thing has that super-lovely carpet that seems like it used to go exclusively into bottom-rung GM products. My wife's car has Weather Tech molded plastic mats in the front seat, but it was still a chore to get all the little sand granules and whatnot that still managed to embed itself in the carpet.

I bought a pair of front seats from a 2010ish Malibu for $15 on Facebook Marketplace. They are in good shape, but the seller had spilled a great big glob of tan latex pain on one of the seats. I got most of it out using a McCulloch steamer. After removing the "3-D" paint, I used a Bissell, some Simple Green, and a nylon brush mounted on a drill to get a lot more of the paint out. The result is not perfect, but it is more than good enough to replace the crappy bench seat in my Toyota pickup.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

:smith:

Hit and run, but I’ve got front and rear dash cam footage.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That's good. I have a dashcam that will wake on any vibration, but the drat thing takes like 10-15 seconds to boot so IDK if it's useful

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I reviewed the footage and the person who rear ended me is at fault. I got sandwiched and the hit-and-run was the person in front of me who drove off. I have the rear-ender's info and a police report.

The situation is with the insurance companies now. I'll get my rental this afternoon.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Was it intentional insurance fraud on their part (cars sandwiched you to cause an accident) or did they just bounce because they are more afraid of getting caught without insurance/rolling dirty than they are of anything else?

Running after getting rear ended sets all kinds of warning flags off for me, since that's normally no risk to them claim wise, almost no chance they'd normally be found at fault.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Once saw a claim where the middle car’s rear bumper was where the backseat footwell is usually located. Entire front end smashed in as well from where it got pushed into another car in the process. That person in front fled the scene and nobody was ever able to locate them. There had to be thousands upon thousands of damages but they never popped up later.

My suspicion was always that they had something in the car they shouldn’t, had warrants, or were worried about getting deported.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

kastein posted:

Was it intentional insurance fraud on their part (cars sandwiched you to cause an accident) or did they just bounce because they are more afraid of getting caught without insurance/rolling dirty than they are of anything else?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My suspicion was always that they had something in the car they shouldn’t, had warrants, or were worried about getting deported.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wheel swap on the Fit. These are WIDE, so time will tell if they will stay on for the long term, but they were only $500 for the entire setup and I do like the go-kart look of the super fat tires. Weight savings of 30lb over the winter wheels and 22lb over the OEM setup.

15” Konig Dial-in with 205/55/15 Yokohama S.Drive

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I like those a lot. I'm looking at putting fancy wheels on our Civic sooneventually.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Wheel swap on the Fit. These are WIDE, so time will tell if they will stay on for the long term, but they were only $500 for the entire setup and I do like the go-kart look of the super fat tires. Weight savings of 30lb over the winter wheels and 22lb over the OEM setup.

15” Konig Dial-in with 205/55/15 Yokohama S.Drive

205 is not wide - it's minimum, OP. HTH.
(Keep them! They look great!)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Agreed, that is a good lookin Fit.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

205 is not wide - it's minimum, OP. HTH.
(Keep them! They look great!)

The wheels are wide though. It’s hard to tell in the pics but the tires do stick out a little. I love the way it looks. 1.5” drop was the clincher.

Now if I could only find a non-resonated exhaust midpipe and/or downpipe.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 9, 2022

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Dropped the C10 in for the transmission to be looked at. Getting quotes on just resealing it, rebuilding it since it is old or just replacing it with a 700R4 to get overdrive. The last option would be great but I doubt it would come in under $3000.

Edit: 700r4 it is since the 350 in it is a weird electronic lock up model that sucks balls.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 10, 2022

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

BigPaddy posted:

Dropped the C10 in for the transmission to be looked at. Getting quotes on just resealing it, rebuilding it since it is old or just replacing it with a 700R4 to get overdrive. The last option would be great but I doubt it would come in under $3000.

Edit: 700r4 it is since the 350 in it is a weird electronic lock up model that sucks balls.

You can buy new 700R4s for considerably less than $3000, and they're not hard to install. Hell, Monster will build you one with a custom color case for less than that.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Monster trans doesn’t have the best rep and even after buying their basic 700r4, paying the core charge as I don’t have a core to return, freight and a converter with the labor it comes out around the same as having the local company do it and I get a warranty that doesn’t involve having to pull the thing and pay for shipping. Gearstar, Hughes, B&M, TCI etc… are all close to $3000 shipped for just the trans and some of those are not complete units so you have extra costs for speedo gears for example.

I was shocked at the prices since I bought a TH400 two years ago and it was $1500 to my door.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Both of those numbers sound nuts to me but then I have to remember that the time I paid less than $1k for a 700R4 was twenty loving years ago, and it was a pile of poo poo that blew up after three years.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The final quote I got a little while ago was $2700 which is to:

Buy a 700r4 core with everything including converter ($200).
Pull the current trans.
Rebuild the 700r4 including a bunch of upgrades for it to handle around 550 ft/lbs.
Move the cross member back and other stuff to get it to work in place of the 350.

Most places were quoting between $1800-$2000 to just do a pull and rebuild of the existing transmission and $1000 to rebuild it as a walk in but then a limited warranty.

For me it to have to get the thing out by myself, without a lift, the extra money is worth it. If I could use the current trans as a core that would save some money but it is that weird early electronic lock up 350 that is da poop.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Does your quote include modifying the driveshaft to work with the 700r4? As I recall, unlike the 200-4r, the 700 is longer and has a TH400-sized slip yoke.

Edit: I guess that is included in the “other stuff to get it to work.”

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Does your quote include modifying the driveshaft to work with the 700r4? As I recall, unlike the 200-4r, the 700 is longer and has a TH400-sized slip yoke.

Edit: I guess that is included in the “other stuff to get it to work.”

The driveshaft will be the same length as the current transmission has the correct length tailshaft.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Got a new stereo. Nothing fancy.

Before:

After:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was leaving for work this morning, hopped in the Prius and touched the gas pedal. I then got out, took a photo, and jumped in the 4Runner and drove to work screaming.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Fuckers :mad:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cat thieves are the loving worst because they're doing $1,500 damage for like $200 in their own pocket.

It would be less financially damaging if they just straight up robbed you.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Verman posted:

I was leaving for work this morning, hopped in the Prius and touched the gas pedal. I then got out, took a photo, and jumped in the 4Runner and drove to work screaming.

I'm sorry both for your loss, and for your weeks-long wait for the parts to come off of back-order. Cat thieves hitting priuses specifically has been awful, I probably see one every other week at the Toyota dealership I work at.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Powershift posted:

Cat thieves are the loving worst because they're doing $1,500 damage for like $200 in their own pocket.

It would be less financially damaging if they just straight up robbed you.
More like $3000 in damages for a new oem catalyst. Keep in mind the us government says it is fine for "recyclers" to buy used cats, but car owners can only buy brand new ones.

So the choice for victims of cat theft is to spend a few hundred for a less efficient aftermarket catalyst that won't hold up or to spend a few thousand on a new oem replacement.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Got a new stereo. Nothing fancy.

Before:

After:

I put that same head unit in my accord last year I think. It's been great so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

It was time to put the summer wheels and tires back on my wife's CR-V. Over the winter I got a set of 97-01 Honda Prelude 16" alloy wheels to replace the stock 16" steelies the car came with. Replace 16" wheels with 16" wheels, should be no problem, right?

Nope. There was insufficient clearance between the inside of the wheel and the brake caliper bracket for wheel balancing weights to fit. The driver's side front threw the weights immediately when I backed the car up after mounting the wheels. The passenger side just made a little click-click-click noise when I drove around the block.

Solution: get the wheels balanced again and grind down the caliper bracket just a tiny little bit where the witness marks were. Problem solved.