Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

COLT 1/2 FLIGHT PLAN

ETOD: 06:20:00
Expected Weather: CAVOK, winds 270/10
Colt 1 A/A TACAN: 01X
Colt 2 A/A TACAN: 02X

Colt 1 Intraflight: 133.00
Colt 2 Intraflight: 134.00

Ramat David Tower: 260.00
ABM (Sling Shot): 261.00
Package Comms (Matzo Maker): 262.00

Planned loadout to be 4 AGM-45 Shrike ARMs, and 1 TER loaded with 3 pods of either FFARs or Zuni rockets, as pilot preference dictates.

Our flight plan is expected to be as per above. We will depart Ramat David and fly to WP 1 at angels 18 or maximum doppler radar altitude, whichever is lower. At WP 1 we will turn north towards the EWR and dive to 200 feet AGL before conducting strafing passes to destroy it. Once destroyed we will push to WP 3 and then 4, setting up a SEAD patrol at those waypoints. Our priority targets will be the batteries at points 2, 3 and 4; should these be suppressed and our flights left with spare ARMs, we will engage any targets of opportunity nearby. At each point Colt 1 and Colt 2 will work as one flight to degrade enemy air defenses at that point; the one exception will be at Marj Ruhayyil Air Base, where I will split Colt 1 and 2 to each go after one site with the flight that has more ordinance remaining tasked with the SA-6.

Attack plan shall be in elements; one aircraft (the weasel) is to draw a lock from the site, while his wingman (the shooter) will aim to get a missile off. If more than one run is needed, the weasel and shooter shall swap roles. The weasel is encouraged to be conservative and bug out if the radar is not suppressed or the threat posed by the shot is deemed excessively high. Should the radar be destroyed or shut down, the weasel may elect to close in to draw AAA fire from a safe distance while the shooter conducts rocket passes to further degrade the site. This is optional if the threat posed is deemed excessive, but encouraged.

Prioritize survival; we lack the awareness and ECM tools modern American aircraft possess. In particular if you still have ARMs, play safe until you have expended them all to maximize your ability to employ gun and rocket attacks for site mop-up. Once a flight is winchester, it may call Miller Time and RTB; alternatively, the flight may remain to act as weasels for any remaining ARM shooters or to distract remaining threats from targeting other flights. This is at the discretion of the flight lead and is an all-or-nothing decision; do not split your flight!

Should a pilot need to RTB Bingo or due to damage sustained prior to CRYSTAL/DIAMOND or suppression of threats to a westward egress, then fly south to Jordanian airspace and climb immediately at best possible rate. I would much rather you have to deal with annoyed Jordanians than furious Syrians in the event of an ejection or forced landing.

Given the limits of the navigation system, I suggest setting D1 to WP1, and D2 to Marj Ruhayyil Air Base. We'll use TACAN for navigation to Ramat David.

Good hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Panther 3 Briefing

Pilots:
Panther 3-1 Ice Fist
Panther 3-2 Aero737

"Attention!"

Ice Fist opened the door of the briefing room expecting it to be full or attentive pilots. He swung his head around. "Okay listen up everyone, tomorr-" It took him a moment to notice the room was empty. Just one guy standing at attention at the front of the room. "Where is everyone?"

Aero looked a little embarrassed, "Uhhh, it's just me."

"Just you?"

"Just me."

"Well. Uhh. Okay. Just you then. Who are you?"

"I'm the new guy"

"How new?"

"I flew the F16 for the first time a couple weeks ago."

"Oh. Well. Okay then. poo poo. Let's just get started"

Overview
Panther 3 is the backup two-ship F16 flight. It is comprised of myself and Aero737. Aero is one of our precious newbies that has only just recently picked up the F16 module. Command has tasked me with keeping him alive. I assure you, knowing how I fly, that Aero will most likely be trying to keep me alive instead. The other 2 Panther flights have been assigned strikes on airfields. We are going to be tasked with cleaning up any targets they miss. In addition to mavericks, I will be carrying 2x 2000 lb bombs for runway cratering duty in the case that one of the other flights miss their mark. The other will be carrying 6x 500lb bombs for use on targets of opportunity. The idea is we fly in low, as low as possible and once near the air field pop up and deploy ordinance.

Flight Plan

We will be taking off at Ramat David Air Force Base and heading to way point 1. Panther 3 will remain at Waypoint 1 until called in by command to a particular target airfield

Steerpoints
1. Staging We will circle the waypoint between 1000-2000 AGL to ensure deconfliction with other flights.
2. Ingress waypoint - Descend to approximately 500 AGL
3. Khalkhalah Airbase
4. Marj Ruhayyil Airbase

Targets are parked planes, choppers, munitions and fuel depots. Egress Steer 5 when winchester.

Intel

Armaments
4x AIM-9M
4/6x AGM-65F - As many as we're allowed to take.

3-1 - 2x Mk84 2000lb bombs
3-2 - 6x Mk82 500lb bombs

Center line fuel tanks

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I'm excited to, once again, face off against my greatest enemy... driving the A-4 around the airbase without rolling it like an ice-cream truck.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Colonel Ziva Ben-Shahar, Base Commander, Ramat David Airbase, Israeli Air Force

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

For this morning's operation, first the weather brief. We are looking at winds of less than 10 knots straight down runway 27, so expect that runway or runway 29 for your departure. Ceiling is 18000 feet; temperature is 32 centigrade. Altimeter is 30.01inHg

You are all assigned parking spots. Please reference your airfield charts.

Panther 1 you are in spots 27 through 30
Panther 2, 1 through 4
Panther 3, 5 and 6
Colt 1, 22-25
Colt 2, 12-15
Dodge 1, 16-19
Dodge 2, 7-10

Trash, you are parked on Taxiway E short of runway 27.

See this map for the preferred departure route.

For departure sequence, Trash is first, after that as you are ready.

On return, here are the preferred air corridors for your initial approach. To reduce the workload on the tower controller, please do not contact until you are over Nazareth (the pink line on the map)

For reduced workload, and thus increased efficiency, for the ground crews, it is required that you return to your initial parking spot. Be aware that this op is a single hop. Once back on the ground, shut down your aircraft and head back here to the ops building for debrief.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 5, 2022

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Package Logistics Officer Briefing

Hello my friends! I will be acting as your logistics officer through the campaign. In this role I will be keeping track of the costs of the campaign, both to ourselves and to the opposition. I will also encourage and recognize pilots who operate in a cost effective manner. While I don't intend to be a miser with our weapons, as is the stereotype, I do have a few guidelines that I encourage everyone to follow:
  • Don't die: the most expensive thing you can possibly do is lose your aircraft. Your plane is worth several million dollars, and we'd prefer to blow that budget on making others go boom.
  • Bring the minimum weapon for the job: For stationary ground targets, use unguided weapons. For moving ground vehicles, lgbs are cheapest, or mavericks if you expect lots of cover. If you are fighting in the air, remember that missiles cannot turn on a dime and it only takes one or two hits to drop a target.
  • The more you can bring home, the more we can have later. Consider the value of your weapon vs the value of the target. In terms of cost: Primary Target > Aircraft/SAMs > Ground Vehicles/Buildings > Troops
  • Don't shoot friendlies. You don't want to know how thorough a fratricide investigation can get.

Anyway, that's all I have for the package, now let's talk about my favorite flight under my direct command:

Panther 1 Briefing

Loadout:
9 | 9 | 3x82SE | 84 | - | CL | - | 84 | 3x82SE | 9 | 9

Flight Plan
Our flight plan is exactly like our friends in Panther 2 and 3:

TO Ramat David - Just follow the ATC.

• WPT1 - Staging - Between takeoff and here, we will check in with Sling Shot and get an altitude to hang out at until it's go time.
  • WPT2 - Ingress - Fly at about 500 AGL. I won't complain if you get lower, but remember that powerlines will absolutely wreck you and can be hard to spot.
  • WPT3 - Khalkhalah - Panther 2 is targeting this, we will bypass to the west of this waypoint. DON'T OVERFLY THIS WAYPOINT.
  • WPT4 - Marj Ruhayyil - TARGET, details below
  • WPT5 - Exit AOO
  • WPT6 - Egress - Low altitude restrictions relaxed, as the mountains of Lebanon give lots of natural cover from SAMs.
  • WPT7 - Ramat David AB - Handoff to Tower and land.

Target:

We will approach from 10 miles on course 064 at 500 AGL as fast as we can. Kick off a 20 second flare program at 10s TTG. 1-2 and 1-4 will spend the first pass dumping their Mk-82s on anything that can be construed as a runway. 1-3 and 1-1 will put their initial pass into knocking out vehicles. Once the first pass is done, bank right and and we'll BDA/plan our approach to remaining targets.

Contingencies/Remarks:
  • We are playing with 82SEs, remember that Nose/Tail fuse will produce a drag bomb behavior, Nose only fuse will have it fall like a slick.
  • If the SAM/AAA situation feels a little too spicy after our first pass, we will back off and call on Panther-3s Mavericks and Colts Shrikes to help us out, then resume.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Yooper posted:

My response is yes, but first :

1. IAF MAG Legal must clear it.
2. Followed by our logisticians to make sure they have filed off the serial numbers.

My goal is mission success, and I agree that it's the right tool for the job in a proper environment.

But, such is the chain of command, and they will have the final say.

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Authorization GRANTED. We have been overruled by Defense Minister Rabin himself with regard to this one particular target, as it is a military installation. Legal's ground rules stand for all other flights and all other mission objectives unless the Defense Minister intervenes again.

Panther Squadron Commander 101st IAF "gently caress SNEEP"

Thank you both for your expedience in giving authorization. However, in our tests in the simulator, it appears our CBU-87s have very little affect on the ground targets we're attacking this mission. I doubt we will end up loading them on to our planes. My sincerest apologies for having you use your pens.

PANTHER 2 FLIGHT BRIEFING

(The blue circles are our waypoints)

Panther 2 is tasked with a strike on Khalkhalah AB, which houses many fighters of the Syrian Air Force. We will be hitting their runway, fuel tanks, and parked aircraft. Our ingress altitude depends on if their SA sites have been disabled. Ideally we should be able to release all of our ordnance in 1 or 2 passes to minimize our exposure to AAA and Igla-men.

Recommended loadout:
Center line fuel tank, 2xMk-84, 6xMk-82, 4xAIM-9M

We will all be carrying Mk-84s to cover if any of us get shot down before we can hit the runways. We need a total of 4 Mk-84s to disable both of their runways at this AFB. Any left over can be used on the 2 fuel tanks. If all targets are eliminated, hold on to your ordnance for mopping up of the next target, Marj Ruhayyil, which is on our way out.

Study this image! The L shape of the airfield will really help us orientate ourselves as we ingress. We will be flying in from the south (bottom of this image), following a highway. This means we can easily hit the runway and both parking areas from that heading in our first pass. We will have 1 from our flight split off and come at an angle to hit the southern runway.

See you on the tarmac!

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Lamdan has aquired fresh drone imagery and satelitte imagery of the four SAM/EWR targets that Aluf Yooper has designated. This will be especially useful to the Knights of the North. All intel coming in indicates that the Syrians have zero knowledge of our intent to strike. Their air defenses' readiness is remarkably low.

Target Point 1

The first target point is the Early Warning Radar near the Syrian-Jordanian border. It situated on it's own without any air defenses near by and should be an easy target. The radar situated just outside of the village of Al Kafr.

Target Point 2

Second target consists of 3 SAM batteries surrounding the village of Al-Khalidiyah. There are 2 SA-3 batteries and one SA-2 battery.

Target Point 3

We were unable to get a drone close enough to this SA-6 battery. Satellite imagery will have to suffice.

1. Launchers
2. Straight Flush Radar
3. UralTruck

There is an SA-2 battery just to the south of this SA-6 battery that might make a good target of opportunity. As with the SA-6, we were unable to get a drone close enough.

1. Launchers
2. Fan Song Radar
3. Flat Face Radar
4. Ural Truck

Target Point 4

Target Point 4 is a SA-3 battery. It is located just outside a small settlement, much like most of the other batteries. That is Damascus International Airport in the background.

Other Intel

We have not been able to get more recent satellite imagery of the two airbases. We do have fresh pictures from the ground at Marj Ruhayill. It appears the SAAF have started to move some of their MiG-23s into the hardened aircraft shelters and have also started arming these aircraft. We should expect the same with a portion of the MiG-21s at Khalkhalah .It would seem our anticipation of an offensive action from the Arabs is correct and our preemptive strike is prudent. We still do not anticipate a large CAP presence and it is likely there will be no SAAF fighters in the air tomorrow morning.

The helos at Marj Ruhayill are still parked where they were last spotted via satellite imagery.

We also have some knowledge of the Syrian SHORAD capabilities at this airbase. There are AA guns scattered around the airfield. Intel from Khalkhalah seem to show a similar setup.

jzilla fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 5, 2022

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

I would also like to add a word of caution for all flights coming off the target and egressing homeward. There are two clusters of SAM batteries that must be avoided.

The first is North-Northwest of Marj Ruhayill and Target Point 3.

1. SA-6
2. SA-2
3. SA-3
4. EWR

While Syrian air defense readiness is low, it should be anticipated that once we cross the border and begin striking targets they will begin to man their batteries and ready them.

We will directly fly over several SAM batteries on our return. We have a tasked a battalion of MLRS launchers with suppressing and destroying these while we perform our mission. While I have full confidence in this unit to complete their mission, we must be prepared for the eventuality that some AA defense units may remain after the bombardment. These units will be some of the first hit in the conflict and will be ready for us should they not be disabled or destroyed.

Targets which we anticipate will be destroyed are outlined in black.

We also need to be mindful of a cluster in the south. We will pass to east of this cluster on our way to our targets, but they could pose a threat for a disoriented pilot flying home who has already had to dodge several enemy missiles and fighters. The two SA-6 batteries to west should be destroyed, allowing us a sufficient enough gap to egress safely.

Taps
Aug 14, 2009

Good Morning Black Knights. It's been a rough night for all of us despite being just in range of shore leave. I have good news for Ford-1 though. We're going to the beach. You'll be able to visit Haifa beach from about 5000 feet agl today on a goodwill flyby. But first we have to make a grocery run. CAG has asked us to take some TARP and Recce practice and assess the status of Ramat David airfield. We'll be making a single pass and then boxing to the left and back over Haifa on the way home.

Recovery and forward tankers are up. Awacs is slingshot. The Marines are making a detection run north of our general AO. Be aware, this is Israel. The borders are /strict/. Stick to the waypoints by the numbers and obey the controllers.

Package details are in the kneeboards, 2 sparrows, 2 9's and tanks. We're cruising at 250 and .8 except for the airshow at the beach where you'll slow down and hit the deck.

Any questions? Didn't think so. Stay safe out there.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
As with the last few missions of the Georgian campaign, I'll be streaming my point of view at https://twitch.tv/jazzahn starting in about an hour.

I'll be flying Colt 1-2 so it should be pretty exciting once we hit Syrian airspace.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren: get in discord nerds, it's starting.

This is it, it is 0545 at Ramat David Air Base!
Get to your airplanes, ladies and gentlemen. This is the big day.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ABM Stream : https://www.twitch.tv/elendil004

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Syrian first strike got us where it hurts most - server code.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Syria pre-empted your pre-emptive strike!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Sorry for a day or two of absence.

March 12th is still the gameday, we'll re-do day 1 and this time the mission file should work. If you are not able to attend, check that your name isn't on the sheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/edit#gid=0

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
We ran a test with some 10 or so goons, and the mission worked without major hiccups. So, remain positive for this saturday.
Daylight savings doesn't affect us yet, so same time same place.

All above plans apply here, since nothing has changed!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You need the Syria map right? I'll get it next time it's on sale.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You do need it. We do have an F-15 slot open tomorrow. If you are on standalone, you could free trial the map.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
looks pensively at a memorial photo of his last assigned airframe

Radio posted:

We are looking at winds of less than 10 knots from the west, temperature 32 centigrade.

sighs, turns off 106FM http://live1.co.il/yezreel/

Arbel "Arbitrary" Assouly, Panther 1-4, reporting for duty.

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Going live in 10ish Minutes (20:00 zulu) at https://twitch.tv/jazzahn

Follow along with Colt flight as we get obliterated by SAM

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ABM stream up, fingers crossed.

https://www.twitch.tv/elendil004

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Let's see how the carrier recovery is going. It would be really nice to nail the first landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItUECpFi9_s

Pagan ramp striked the second time.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 12, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

SLING SHOT - AAR - DAY 1

To: mission makers (or intel guy I guess?). Can you give me whatever order of battle you're using for the Syrians. I don't mind decoding things like 765th sq but I'm googling present day stuff and I'm guessing sometimes. Obviously a real AEW platform has other methods to determine what an aircraft is so don't make me guess.

To: All pilots. When radio checking, you gotta say what channel you're radio checking on. For example "This is Bullhole One-Three, radio check, 261." Thanks.

To everyone but planners and leads mainly?: We need to be better about consistent waypoints. Let's just go with names, and kneeboards can deconflict names with numbers for planes that only have like two waypoints. It's frustrating when someone is like "I'm at steerpoint eleven" or "Ok hit waypoint 3...what's waypoint 3 is that steerpoint 9?"

To US Planes: sorry you had no action. I wasn't even supposed to control you so even if I wanted, I had no ability to task you. This was an obvious conflict that we should have deconflicted but it didn't really matter except for the US pilots being bored.

To who knows who's responsible for this...: Neither me or Yooper knew Panther 3 didn't have set tasking. They kept asking "hey can we get tasking" which I assumed was "Hey can we do our existing tasking" so they didn't get tasking until they clarified. That's a failure of mission planning.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

MatzoMaker @ 262.00

Things were, for the most part, pretty quiet until Colt started hitting the trio of SAM sites. I was a bit surprised at the rapidity and ferocity of the Syrian MIG-23's. In hindsight I should have kept the CAP closer in, but I really had no idea how capable the Shrikes would be. Panther chilled while the furball got super furry. Panther 3 was on standby but to be honest the week gap left me unawares (I forgot) that they needed tasking. Panther 3 did great filling the gap and jumped into Marj AB. By that point we had all primary targets engaged and folks were RTB'ing.

Earthquake did great clearing out the Diamond area. Due to some AI oddness he had issues knocking out Crystal, but in the end it didn't really matter as we had a clear path back to Israel and that's all that mattered.

A2A was an issue and I think it was primarily the transition from BVR AAMRAM's in Georgia to Aim-7's / Super 530's SARH missiles. As mentioned above I should have kept CAP closer.

Trash flight never took off? I kept watching for them but eventually assumed the pilots didn't make it. The USN was practicing landings and we mostly ignored them. Noted F-14 pilot mentioned that his formation was "tighter than Slingshot's moms G-string." I thought that was a good formation call and deserved recognition.

Overall folks did awesome. It's a pleasure to work with Elendil and Kilo who kept everything rolling smoothly.

Future tasking for our CAP should be a hard focus on SARH practice and engaging in a very very tight AO. CAS / A-4's should focus on anti-armor efforts as we're expecting a Syrian counterattack east of the Sea of Galilee. Hopefully Trash flight can kick those para's across the border so we can knock out that SA-2. Opfor capability felt about right regarding SAM's and AAA, but the takeoff speed and quick reaction seemed too fast.

Looking forward to next week, great work folks!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Panther flights lost three out of ten F-16s. It is a death trap. I was transferred here when my F-4 went in for modernization; formally requesting transfer back to F-4.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/942200298548650014/952339988589183006/what.mp4

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Found in the mess hall on the Theodore Roosevelt

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Who gets to paint a silhouette of the Georgian airliner on their plane?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

habeasdorkus posted:

Who gets to paint a silhouette of the Georgian airliner on their plane?

Look, we ALL saw it. The Syrians shot it down in an overwhelming display of poor discipline. It is a shame and only proves our mission is just.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Oh, there a link to the full stream? And the Discord?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

wedgekree posted:

Oh, there a link to the full stream? And the Discord?

The mission is over for the day. Our old streams from Georgia War are here in Air Goons discord channel, same with the hype video for this war: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2z0Td0YaY9edDcze1SADUg/videos
Discord link is in the OP of this thread, very top. Join it! There's screenshots and videos in the channels there.

Jazzahn's game stream is now saved in Twitch: https://twitch.tv/jazzahn

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Attention Naval Aviators.

Well things have certainly developed over the last few hours. Clearly our hosts were not being straight with us in the runup to our port call. All leave is canceled effective immediately. The beaches of Israel will have to wait. I am awaiting instructions from up the chain as to how we are proceeding. Our primary mission is the safety of the Roosevelt and her escorts anything else will come after that.

Todays training operations were highly successful. That is until you lot got behind the boat. Thankfully Lt Volundr was fished out of the water by the heli after that rampstrike. My sweeper that I have been lovingly crafting was damned singed right off by the fireball.

We have a lot of work to do with my main comment being that spotting the deck and trying to slam your plane onto it like a toddler on a cupcake is unsafe and leads to hook skips over the wires. Also for the love of all that is holy give it power through the wires. We almost lost an aircraft off the front twice in addition to the one on the ramp. Please review the landing footage and the grades and greenie board for your education and inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avUPE62xDmo

If you are looking for some kind of key to decipher the grades then https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/Carrier_Air_Operations will be of use to you. As an example LIRX EGIW (OK) = Lined up right at the start. Eased gun in wires. Fair pass.

As soon as there is more information to share about our next steps in the region you will be hearing from me.

CAG out.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I kinda feel the need to defend myself here, I kinda had trouble stabilizing the approach without ILS and with a TACAN beacon that to my surprise did not line up with the boat. Also I had a raging headache and realized in the pattern that a bunch of people were looking at me judgingly lol.

In the third person camera I'm seeing how dangerous it looks when you don't give full throttle at the wires so I'll be sure to practice on that. It would be good if we could et an ILS imo.

Oooh and while I'm reaading up on some materials I realize now that you're not supposed to flare on a carrier landing.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 13, 2022

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Colt 1 Day 1

Guncam footage recovered by Syrian forces from the wreckage of Colt 1-2:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1423826761

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

I kinda feel the need to defend myself here, I kinda had trouble stabilizing the approach without ILS.

I mean, you didn't smash into the back of the carrier, so you definitely didn't have the worst time of anyone flying off a carrier yesterday. Also, apparently in real life the pilots all gather in the ready room and make fun of the landings you've got an extra layer of immersion.

Carrier landings seem hard as hell in general. Volundr's landing looked good right up until like 50 feet out when all of a sudden it was too low and into the back of the carrier.

As a non-flyer, thanks for letting us all watch this, following Jazzahn and Elendil's feeds were a lot of fun.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Oooh and while I'm reaading up on some materials I realize now that you're not supposed to flare on a carrier landing.

Aren't you supposed to buzz the tower?

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 13, 2022

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I kinda feel the need to defend myself here, I kinda had trouble stabilizing the approach without ILS and with a TACAN beacon that to my surprise did not line up with the boat. Also I had a raging headache and realized in the pattern that a bunch of people were looking at me judgingly lol.

In the third person camera I'm seeing how dangerous it looks when you don't give full throttle at the wires so I'll be sure to practice on that. It would be good if we could et an ILS imo.

You did great, no need to defend yourself at all.

You're brand new to the carrier and we had no ILCS or TCN working, getting the plane on the deck at all was an accomplishment.

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Do I pull G's? no sir, I'm married
New video series chronicling this campaign in place of the GNN updates of the previous campaign - The Operations Goon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2gUjOYt6T4

Please note that this is an 'artistic' representation of events and absolutely doesn't replace flight lead AAR's - it's simply a mile high summary that an arm chair historian 30 years from now may piece together from dubious data.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Flight Leads

Please get your AAR's up. If time is short please start with just a quick AAR and BDA of your flight.

Our friends in Tel Aviv are itching for a briefing on how good, or bad, the morning was.

Training Focus

F-15C's and Kfirs (M2000) : In the next week focus on quick reaction air intercepts and, if possible, work with an ABM. If you have LotATC and see folks in Discord you can hop into LotATC and do flight directing.

A-4 / F-16's : Practice striking armor and determine optimal loadouts. F-16's, a bit of practice with the heaters would be helpful too.

Comms

Currently you start on 260.00 and work with the Air Traffic Control (Kilo) and then after launch you transition to 261.00 and work with Elendil, the ABM. Once you enter the combat area you either :
1. remain on 261.00 if you are CAP
2. switch to 262.00 if you are a striker

Remaining on 261.00 and being a striker overwhelms comms, reduces our SA, and increases how long you need to wait to get intel. We will be defining this handover point where strikers change from 261 to 262.

Also as a general rule, assume your flight lead will die in a fire and be prepared to assume that role.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Full debrief coming later, but preliminary assessment is Dodge 2 lost all 4 of its F-15Cs in exchange for 2 MiG-23 kills. Which is, uh, not spectacular

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Folks, PM me if you want to practice intercepts and stuff with a ABM/GCI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013